PDA

View Full Version : Game goats.

zulater
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Ben. It's his fault, it always is, we'll be so much better without him. Would have been 16-0 with an elite quarterback.

Edman
12-08-2013, 03:21 PM
The Defense gets it big time. Getting punked by Ryan Tannehill in the Snow.

The whole team gets a game goat for the entire 4th quarter. It's pretty much a summation of these past two years. A Losing team with no killer instinct and can't finish.

This season is pretty much dead, if it wasn't dead enough already.

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, remember all the training camp hype about how the defense was practicing tackling? Good thing that paid off!

zulater
12-08-2013, 03:28 PM
The refs and league really wanted to punish Tomlin for Thanksgiving. Mission accomplished. As one sided of refereeing against the home team as anyone has ever seen.

st33lersguy
12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Dipshit Brown, the entire defense, the entire o-line, the entire special teams! This team SUCKS!

steelerdude15
12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
My game goat goes to Antonio. Yeah, there were a lot of other candidates because of poor play, but it ultimately came down to Antonio. He had the chance to win it, but screwed up by stepping out of bounds.

fansince'76
12-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Said it in the gameday thread and I'll say it again: it's time to go no-huddle all game every game and let Ben call the shots from the get-go instead of waiting until we're 10-14 points down to do so.

dislocatedday
12-08-2013, 03:34 PM
The majority of the defense gets the goat. Worilds, Troy, and Cam Heyward excepted from that shameful performance.

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Said it in the gameday thread and I'll say it again: it's time to go no-huddle all game every game and let Ben call the shots from the get-go instead of waiting until we're 10-14 points down to do so.

But Art II doesn't want that, he wants granddaddy's football. Better to lose playing "Steeler football" than win playing some "sissified" football after all, right?

HollywoodSteel
12-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Ben. It's his fault, it always is, we'll be so much better without him. Would have been 16-0 with an elite quarterback.

Points for starting the thread with sarcasm. You actually made me smile at a time like this. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The sideline. It was out to get us back.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean "it was time." Now it's time to think about the draft.

Dwinsgames
12-08-2013, 03:53 PM
All of us for allowing this team to suck us in with playoff hopes this far down the road in what was clear from the onset as a down season with poor play , horrible coaching and perhaps even worse bad drafting

Shoes
12-08-2013, 04:07 PM
No way Brown gets the blame for this loss. The D sucks, the Oline sucks, the coaches suck. But no one can pin this pathetic season on Brown.

SteelerFanInStl
12-08-2013, 04:07 PM
The defense. Allowing Miami to score their season high for points in the snow is just inexcusable. The coaches for once again not having a clue.

steeldawg
12-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Brown c'mon man! Sanders another crucial drop! Defense wrap somebody up for christ sake!

Moose
12-08-2013, 04:28 PM
The whole Fk'n organization. This year is done so why even the hype ? Play all player's the rest of the season and see who the hell to keep and who to get rid of. Why pay for the extra lumber ? Coaches included. Go Steeler's......next year.

steelerdiva
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM

This....x1000

Godfather
12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
The receiving corps. How many drops did we see today?

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
blame brown for a loss against a pretty good game against a pro-bowl cornerback? Lol, he didnt allow 34 points...to ryan tannehill....who just played in the snow for the 1st time in his life (as he said so himself)

game goat, ike taylor.

"Could've had Keenan"

its starting to look like our team motto this season

XxKnightxX
12-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Brown c'mon man! Sanders another crucial drop! Defense wrap somebody up for christ sake!

BINGO! Danicin Manny at it again. gloats and boasts all the time but cant catch the clutch shot. When he dropped the ball i knew we had lost the game.

HollywoodSteel
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
No way Brown gets the blame for this loss. The D sucks, the Oline sucks, the coaches suck. But no one can pin this pathetic season on Brown.

Agree 100% Yeah, Brown screwed up on that play. It happens. But he was the brightest star on this team this year. Perhaps if his talent had been utilized more this season we'd have a few more Ws and be talking playoffs. I'm not saying he's above criticism. No one is. But he, once again, scored a TD that was almost entirely YAC which is why were were even in the game. He's a playmaker and I'm so happy we made the deal with him that we did.

X-Terminator
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
But Art II doesn't want that, he wants granddaddy's football. Better to lose playing "Steeler football" than win playing some "sissified" football after all, right?

Again, Art II's role in this is the elephant in the room. Glad someone else acknowledges this.

tube517
12-08-2013, 04:44 PM
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558913_738462726182997_941056616_n.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 04:44 PM
those of you who think this is brown's fault:

if you are giving him shit for not being able to finish what could've been one of the most miraculous plays in nfl history, you arent looking at the bigger picture. If thats what it took for us to beat a "meh" dolphins team led by a QB who has never before played in the snow, then what does that say about the rest of the team? Durrr, rethink your evaluation of one of the few players on this team that has shown up every single week

steeldawg
12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Agree 100% Yeah, Brown screwed up on that play. It happens. But he was the brightest star on this team this year. Perhaps if his talent had been utilized more this season we'd have a few more Ws and be talking playoffs. I'm not saying he's above criticism. No one is. But he, once again, scored a TD that was almost entirely YAC which is why were were even in the game. He's a playmaker and I'm so happy we made the deal with him that we did.

I don't think anyone is blaming brown for the season, but it was a crucial play to win the game and he made a mistake so he gets some blame for that.

fansince'76
12-08-2013, 04:46 PM
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558913_738462726182997_941056616_n.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SteelerFanInStl
12-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Again, Art II's role in this is the elephant in the room. Glad someone else acknowledges this.

I'm more than happy to acknowledge it too. This team has gone to shit since he took over.

steeldawg
12-08-2013, 04:48 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 04:48 PM

lol. solid karma

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm more than happy to acknowledge it too. This team has gone to shit since he took over.

And the local media is scared stiff to call him out over it.

Shoes
12-08-2013, 04:52 PM

And sadly the worst may be yet to come!

Dwinsgames
12-08-2013, 04:53 PM

3 SBs appearances with 2 victories since Art 2 took the hot seat ...

how many did we have with Dan at the helm ?

Shoes
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
And the local media is scared stiff to call him out over it.

That would be one Ed *Douchette* who in great fear of losing his parking spot.

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 04:56 PM

That's naive. Art II may legally have been the "owner" since 2003, but Dan didn't leave for Ireland until 2009. You think Dan Rooney had no say on how the team was run in that time?

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Ryan Clark: “If you out yourself in a position where Marcus Gilbert has the ball in his hands to win the game, a lot didn’t go right.”

Shoes
12-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Dang Dwins, if you give ArtII credit for that, then you'd have to give nearly the same credit to Tomlin. I'd like them both to go hand in hand into the sunset. :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Dan Rooney taking over the day-to-day operations from his father in 1969 and hiring Chuck Noll as his first order of business is kinda what turned this team around from a historical perspective.

Dan Rooney > Art Rooney II - I don't really think that can even be argued. Unfortunately, Dan is simply too old to run the team day-to-day at this point. Dan Rooney is in the HoF. Art II will never get in there without a ticket, IMO.

Count Steeler
12-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Defence, defence, defence. Love you LeBeau, but time for a change.

We have SOME promising pieces, Timmons, Heyward, Allen (moreso last seasons version), Worilds. Hood is servicable. Troy and Ryan, your best years are behind you. We need some safeties.

And give me 11 guys that can tackle.

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Dan Rooney taking over the day-to-day operations from his father in 1969 and hiring Chuck Noll as his first order of business is kinda what turned this team around from a historical perspective.

Dan Rooney > Art Rooney II - I don't really think that can even be argued.

You're spot on, but too many fans assume Art II is every bit the owner his father was because of his last name and his last name only. The truth is Art II is showing he has zero football acumen and seems to be VERY out of touch with how NFL football is played today.

XxKnightxX
12-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Defence, defence, defence. Love you LeBeau, but time for a change.

We have SOME promising pieces, Timmons, Heyward, Allen (moreso last seasons version), Worilds. Hood is servicable. Troy and Ryan, your best years are behind you. We need some safeties.

And give me 11 guys that can tackle.

He was just tosssing people like rag dolls today. Hes got his pops strength I can tell you that. He will become a dominant lineman in this league.

SteelerFanInStl
12-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Others have already said what I was going to say. Its very naive to think that Dan wasn't still running things prior to him leaving for Ireland.

fansince'76
12-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Others have already said what I was going to say. Its very naive to think that Dan wasn't still running things prior to him leaving for Ireland.

Dan was directly responsible for by far our most important draft pick of the last decade (Roethlisberger). Once Rivers was off the board, Cowher wanted Shawn Andrews. Dan overruled him (thankfully) and we took Roethlisberger. If that hadn't happened, we're more than likely still stuck on 4 Lombardi trophies and nursing a 35-year Super Bowl drought at this point.

Dwinsgames
12-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Dan Rooney > Art Rooney II - I don't really think that can even be argued. Unfortunately, Dan is simply too old to run the team day-to-day at this point. Dan Rooney is in the HoF. Art II will never get in there without a ticket, IMO.

I should have qualified that a little better ... like the last 20 years of his reign

fansince'76
12-08-2013, 05:17 PM
You're spot on, but too many fans assume Art II is every bit the owner his father was because of his last name and his last name only.

Comparing Art II to Dan is almost like comparing Mike Brown to his father Paul, IMO. There is NO comparison.

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 05:18 PM
The one thing that concerns me about Dan is that he probably doesn't want to fix the mess his son made. To do so would mean undoing certain things Art II did, which would undoubtedly be embarrassing. Dan Rooney isn't going to do that to his son, even if his son is just a tool.

Shoes
12-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Comparing Art II to Dan is almost like comparing Mike Brown to his father Paul, IMO. There is NO comparison.

……...Or a turd to a knight in shining armor.

Devilsdancefloor
12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
im not one to bash coachs but the goat is haleys offense never putting anyone in good positions and never being able to score more than 21points

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 05:22 PM
im not one to bash coachs but the goat is haleys offense never putting anyone in good positions and never being able to score more than 21points

Haley waits until the team is down by multiple possessions before he does that. They have to keep pounding their heads into a brick wall like the old Stillers did first! It's granddaddy's way!

tube517
12-08-2013, 05:35 PM

I was never totally convinced that Cowher was "tired". I know his wife was battling cancer but he and Art II didn't get along.

GoSlash27
12-08-2013, 05:36 PM
I gotta give props to Cam Heyward today. Had we won, he'd get my game ball.

My game goat goes to whoever decided to go for it on 4th at the 9 with nearly 3 minutes left *and* burned a timeout in the process. Don't know if that was Tomlin or Haley, but either way... *BOOOO*!!

GoSlash27
12-08-2013, 05:47 PM
^ Just saw the press conference. It was Tomlin, so he gets my game goat today.

zulater
12-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I give my goat to the entire Steelers secondary. Not only were they "below the line" in coverage, they also were worthless tackling the ball after the catch. In fact Dolphin YAC was the reason they lost the game more than anything else. This team needs to blow up the secondary in a big way this offseason. The only one's I want back are Cortez Allen, and Shamarko Thomas( because they're young and cap friendly), and Gay, and Will Allen. ( good reserve's at the price)

steelerdiva
12-08-2013, 06:01 PM

My game goat goes to whoever decided to go for it on 4th at the 9 with nearly 3 minutes left *and* burned a timeout in the process. Don't know if that was Tomlin or Haley, but either way... *BOOOO*!!

Agreed. That was piss-poor clock management

ALLD
12-08-2013, 06:29 PM
We should not have lost this game. No single play comes to mind that cost us the game. There were plenty of misses and dropped balls to go around. Ben played well enough to win. Defense lost the game. even with standout play among a few defenders. That corps as a whole is the goat supplemented by bad coaching on all squads. We should have won by 10, really.

steeldawg
12-08-2013, 06:33 PM

What was even worse is we wasted a timeout right before that play and then out of a timeout ended up with big ben trying to run for a first. But if goddamn many sanders would caught the third down pass who knows.

zulater
12-08-2013, 06:50 PM
First time all season the Dolphins scored 30+ points. :doh:

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Seriously? Just because the dolphins had to settle for a field on after we didnt convert you dont think they wouldve been able to move the ball at all to burn the clock with only 3 minutes left if we punted? you didnt see the way they moved the ball on us did you? delusional. we were going to lose either way

steeldawg
12-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Seriously? Just because the dolphins had to settle for a field on after we didnt convert you dont think they wouldve been able to move the ball at all to burn the clock with only 3 minutes left if we punted? you didnt see the way they moved the ball on us did you? delusional. we were going to lose either way

Ya im sure that was the thinking, we couldn't really stop them and 2 first downs by them essentially ended the game so I think trying to keep the ball there was the right play. I just couldn't understand on such a crucial play we ended up with a Ben scramble.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Ya im sure that was the thinking, we couldn't really stop them and 2 first downs by them essentially ended the game so I think trying to keep the ball there was the right play. I just couldn't understand on such a crucial play we ended up with a Ben scramble.

pretty much sums up the season. anyone who even suggests we have a chance to make the playoffs is a damn fool. Most of the rest of the teams still seeking that final wild card spot are showing grit and determination that we havent shown.

Look at the ravens against the vikings, the chargers against the giants, and the jets against the raiders

cold-hard-steel
12-08-2013, 07:48 PM
My Goat goes to the entire team . Offense did their job , the defense did not . When the offense had their chance to thrill , they did not . Not a good year , but i been through this before . Next thing ya know it will come back to math . The defense had it's chances too . Putting your chances on another team to win or lose , is not going to bring you 7 "Super bowl trophies"

86WARD
12-08-2013, 07:49 PM

There's your goats there. Brown and the coaching staff.

cold-hard-steel
12-08-2013, 07:57 PM
It's only 1 loss . or another loss . Depends on how ya look at it . Seems the "STANDARDS" may not be the main priority any longer . Time too wright this ship , and play our brand of football !!!!!!!

SteelMayhem72
12-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Zulater ive mentioned this ref thing in the gameday thread and everybody seems to think that the NFL and the refs are legit and fair...obviously they are not!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

stillers4me
12-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Zulater ive mentioned this ref thing in the gameday thread and everybody seems to think that the NFL and the refs are legit and fair...obviously they are not!

No they are not! Not when they call penalties based on who the player happens to be.

SteelMayhem72
12-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Stillers your about the only one who has agreed with me...NFL is definitely rigged and biased without a doubt!!

Shoes
12-08-2013, 09:41 PM
If I honestly believed the NFL was rigged, I'd never watch another game…..what would be the point?

GoSlash27
12-08-2013, 09:47 PM

What happened instead is that we *did* stop them, giving up 3 instead of a punt and having no TOs instead of 2.
This isn't a case of 20/20 hindsight, either. It was a garbage call at the time and the timeout was poor management.

There's certainly plenty of blame to go around, but that one moment struck me as the point where we lost the game.
Could be wrong...

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
What happened instead is that we *did* stop them, giving up 3 instead of a punt and having no TOs instead of 2.
This isn't a case of 20/20 hindsight, either. It was a garbage call at the time and the timeout was poor management.

There's certainly plenty of blame to go around, but that one moment struck me as the point where we lost the game.
Could be wrong...

we wouldve had less than a minute to score a TD if we ever got the ball back on a punt. Rather unlikely

Dwinsgames
12-08-2013, 09:53 PM
reading through the forums and seeing brown listed as a goat really gets me ...

I mean come on when a play included Gilbert having his hands on the football in the midst of it changing hands 4,5 maybe 6 times on throws and laterals ( not going to count them because its meaningless ) coupled with a long run and the player that does the most steps out with 1/3 of his foot and he instantly becomes the goat ( when it would not have counted anyways because Ben had a forward lateral involved in the play ) it is beyond mind boggling for me ..

just sayin

fansince'76
12-08-2013, 10:03 PM
If I honestly believed the NFL was rigged, I'd never watch another game…..what would be the point?

Agreed. I think the refs do the best job that they can considering that so many of the new "safety" rules have turned officiating into a series of judgment calls. Besides, we've overcome much worse officiating before and won (see Giants game last year). If a team plays well enough, bad calls can be made to be a non-factor.

zulater
12-08-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm not suggesting this or any other game was rigged. But I sure got the sense that a message was being sent to Tomlin today by someone. I'm sure the refs as a whole weren't happy that a unit was downgraded due to Mike's shenanigans. Same with the league. A holiday showcase game tainted by his actions. I just think there was an effort to put a few extra hurdles in the path of the Steelers today, a shot across the bow if you will, to show that his actions were noticed and unappreciated.

Maybe I'm wrong? But we sure weren't the beneficiaries of any home field slant from the striped crusaders.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 10:16 PM
i wish everyone who thought the nfl was rigged would write a damn novel or thread about it could be put to rest.

zulater
12-08-2013, 11:50 PM
It's laughable to include Antonio Brown on the goat list. :pointlaugh: The last play he was influenced out of bounds, barely so. Almost one of the great plays in Steelers history. But regardless, that's where the game was almost won, not where it was lost.

The defensive secondary is virtually a stand alone goat for this game. The tackling was inexcusable.

st33lersguy
12-09-2013, 09:07 AM
This entire organization for putting together such an awful season

NCSteeler
12-09-2013, 10:58 AM
It's laughable to include Antonio Brown on the goat list. :pointlaugh: The last play he was influenced out of bounds, barely so. Almost one of the great plays in Steelers history. But regardless, that's where the game was almost won, not where it was lost.

The defensive secondary is virtually a stand alone goat for this game. The tackling was inexcusable.

THIS

steelreserve
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Could be wrong...

No, going for it on 4th down was the right call. Wherever Miami got the ball back, the fundamental issue was the same: They get 10 yards and we're dead. Not sure I would've trusted our All-Pro punter to get it out of our own end anyway, and then if they don't run out the clock, they get to try to pin us deep again.

What WAS inexcusable was wasting a timeout, then that clusterfuck of an attempt to pick up the first down. Or the way we played all game to put ourselves in that position, or for that matter, the way we played all season.

What a stupid year. About 4 weeks of being excited that there might be a meaningful game on TV (the first couple weeks of the season when everybody's in the race, then the past two or three when we somehow had a playoff shot), and 48 weeks of circus. And on top of that, I think we lost every one of the games when it looked like it mattered.

stillers4me
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM

I'm not saying it's rigged (exactly)
. It's how the same rule is applied differently to different players and different teams. The rule is the rule, no matter what your name is. But that's not how they are called and it's actually being "justfied" based on who the player is. The players are expected to follow the rules but the refs can apply them as they see fit with the leagues support.

NCSteeler
12-09-2013, 11:34 AM
No, going for it on 4th down was the right call. Wherever Miami got the ball back, the fundamental issue was the same: They get 10 yards and we're dead. Not sure I would've trusted our All-Pro punter to get it out of our own end anyway, and then if they don't run out the clock, they get to try to pin us deep again.

What WAS inexcusable was wasting a timeout, then that clusterfuck of an attempt to pick up the first down. Or the way we played all game to put ourselves in that position, or for that matter, the way we played all season.

What a stupid year. About 4 weeks of being excited that there might be a meaningful game on TV (the first couple weeks of the season when everybody's in the race, then the past two or three when we somehow had a playoff shot), and 48 weeks of circus. And on top of that, I think we lost every one of the games when it looked like it mattered.

making a 4th and 10 is pretty rare, even if your D isn't playing great, I bet a 3 and out is easier than 4th and 10

Psycho Ward 86
12-09-2013, 11:34 AM

hell, almost one of the greatest plays in nfl history. props to everyone who almost pulled it off

stillers4me
12-09-2013, 11:37 AM
hell, almost one of the greatest plays in nfl history. props to everyone who almost pulled it off

It would have been awesome.

zulater
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
making a 4th and 10 is pretty rare, even if your D isn't playing great, I bet a 3 and out is easier than 4th and 10

Especially since the game situation changed with the Dolphins having a lead. They would most likely have played it close to the vest ( run, run, run) and been content to try to punt the Steelers down inside their own 15 yard line. That was garbage for Tomlin to make that claim. As if the Miami offense was going to play it the same with the lead as they did trying to catch it.

And then of course to use a timeout in a dead ball situation on 4th and 10, instead of just letting Ben call the play at the line of scrimmage ( sanders drop on 2 :lol:) :frusty: Just stupid beyond belief!

steelreserve
12-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Yeah, but we had to get a 3 and out no matter how Miami got the ball back. Trying for it on 4th down just gave us an extra chance to avoid that. It was bad odds either way, but that was the way to increase our chances a little. However, Tomlin even doofed the explanation for it post-game, so maybe he was making the right move for the wrong reasons.

I guess you could argue that giving up an easy FG made a difference because the lead would be 6 points instead of 3, but then I think we're getting into anything-can-happen territory, because who knows about the punt, the runback, our defense, whatever. If we failed on 4th down, it guaranteed that they could run 3 plays to try and score, then we get the ball back. Whether or not we could've punted, stopped them, gotten into field goal range with enough time, and converted a long FG in poor weather, seems just as dicey to me as what we did.

zulater
12-09-2013, 06:23 PM
The refs were sure as hell goats. Incompetent and inconsistent.

And hey if we're calling helmet to helmet hits where was the one on Cotchery in the middle of the second quarter by #30? Should have given the Steelers first down at their own 47 at the 5.47 mark of the 2nd quarter. Instead they were left with a 8 yards to go for the first down (digging out from a holding call on foster) and ended up punting the ball away.

jb500ex
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
That's not Haley's offense it's Ben. It was Ben with Arians and now it's Ben with Haley. Time to look At the common factor

Craic
12-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm not suggesting this or any other game was rigged. But I sure got the sense that a message was being sent to Tomlin today by someone. I'm sure the refs as a whole weren't happy that a unit was downgraded due to Mike's shenanigans. Same with the league. A holiday showcase game tainted by his actions. I just think there was an effort to put a few extra hurdles in the path of the Steelers today, a shot across the bow if you will, to show that his actions were noticed and unappreciated.

Maybe I'm wrong? But we sure weren't the beneficiaries of any home field slant from the striped crusaders.

I'd say a forward pass not called on that last play was a home field slant. Refs blew a helmet to helmet call on Ryan Clark. But the non-call on Cotchery, for instance, was a tough call either way. I was torqued about it at first, until I watched it again a couple times and noticed that he didn't lead with the helmet. He got Cotchery with his arm. That too is a penalty, but from where the ref was standing, it looked like a clean hit. So while it didn't go our way, I can't blame the refs for that one.

zulater
12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Cotch got hit facemask to facemask from what I could see.

Just watched it 3 more times. No if's and or buts about it, facemask to facemask. Ref has to make that call every time.

zulater
12-09-2013, 07:42 PM
That's not Haley's offense it's Ben. It was Ben with Arians and now it's Ben with Haley. Time to look At the common factor

That you're a troll?

Godfather
12-09-2013, 08:09 PM
I would have gone for it on fourth down. My reasoning has already been pointed out in this thread--we need a 3 and out regardless of field position. But playing in our own end shortens the field. It also gives us a shot at better field position. If we punt and Miami punts back, they can pin us deep. If they score FG, we have a little better starting position. And if we somehow convert, we still have the ball, better field position, and we're only down 3.

My only complaint was wasting a timeout.

MrPgh
12-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Actually he's right - the common factor is Ben hasn't been allowed to operate under the no-huddle until the team was trailing by multiple possessions for the most part. Of course both OCs had different reasons. Arians trusted Ben, but he didn't trust the always-changing o-line and the young WRs. Haley just has an ego and a mandate from ownership to run his head into a wall until the team is down by 17 points.

Surely this is what jb500ex meant. After all, no one would be stupid enough to want the franchise QB ran out of town after how things went for the Steelers after Bradshaw left. :eyebrows:

bayz101
12-09-2013, 08:29 PM
That you're a troll?

He does the same shit at Steelers Fever.

SteelerFanInStl
12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
That you're a troll?

That is a fact!

zulater
12-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Actually he's right - the common factor is Ben hasn't been allowed to operate under the no-huddle until the team was trailing by multiple possessions for the most part. Of course both OCs had different reasons. Arians trusted Ben, but he didn't trust the always-changing o-line and the young WRs. Haley just has an ego and a mandate from ownership to run his head into a wall until the team is down by 17 points.

Surely this is what jb500ex meant. After all, no one would be stupid enough to want the franchise QB ran out of town after how things went for the Steelers after Bradshaw left. :eyebrows:

Sadly there's a small group that want that very thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I would have gone for it on fourth down. My reasoning has already been pointed out in this thread--we need a 3 and out regardless of field position. But playing in our own end shortens the field. It also gives us a shot at better field position. If we punt and Miami punts back, they can pin us deep. If they score FG, we have a little better starting position. And if we somehow convert, we still have the ball, better field position, and we're only down 3.

My only complaint was wasting a timeout.

That's fair. And has been pointed out it was no given that our punter wouldn't have dribbled one 5 yards from that deep in anyway.