PDA

View Full Version : tracking underclassmen

Dwinsgames
12-07-2013, 12:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000268659/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2014-nfl-draft

vader29
12-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Shoes
12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the link, Dwins.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 12:18 PM

he will ( if he continues to produce ) be a top flight prospect , however he is a red shirt sophomore so dependent upon when he entered college he very well may not be eligible for the draft till 2015 ( perhaps 2014 if he waited a year to go to college ) he has college eligibility till 2016 ( no way he uses it all ) he may end up being a TE because he is not done growing yet and could put on another 10-15 pounds over the next year or two and at 6'4 243 now he could enter the league at 260 ....

so it is not that he is being ignored as much as it is he is on the futures list and a wait and see approach to what his actual NFL pos. will be .... either way he will be a high pick

Wexell should know all that , considering how much credit he gets on knowing the players etc

there is a chance he could be accepted into the draft this year if he is 3 years removed from High School but normally that is not the case as a sophomore but I can not say for sure on this kids as I just do not know those specifics ...

remember if he applies for the draft and is turned down his college eligibility is in jeopardy ( Maurice Clarett )

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the link, Dwins.

no problem bud

Bluecoat96
12-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I thought you only had to be 3 years removed from High School to be eligible for the draft. If he's a redshirt sophomore, that means he will have been out of HS for 3 years after this year, thus making him eligible. I don't know how reputable this link is, but it confirms as much. If I'm not mistaken, Earl Thomas was a 3rd year sophomore when he came out, and AP was a true junior as well.

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I thought you only had to be 3 years removed from High School to be eligible for the draft. If he's a redshirt sophomore, that means he will have been out of HS for 3 years after this year, thus making him eligible. I don't know how reputable this link is, but it confirms as much. If I'm not mistaken, Earl Thomas was a 3rd year sophomore when he came out, and AP was a true junior as well.

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

you are correct I typed 4 when it should have been 3 , thanks to you pointing that out I also found another numerical typo on his actual weight I typed 5 when it should have been a 3 ... but for whatever reason had 4 in my mind the entire time I was posting ...

he has not declared and I do not believe he can YET ( sophomore year in not entirely in the books , eligibility would be in jeopardy if he did so at this point in time ) , he will build steam once he does / if he does

Bluecoat96
12-11-2013, 12:53 PM
you are correct I typed 4 when it should have been 3 , thanks to you pointing that out I also found another numerical typo on his actual weight I typed 5 when it should have been a 3 ... but for whatever reason had 4 in my mind the entire time I was posting ...

No problem...I know you're a facts kind of guy, and I didn't trust my own old-ass memory, so I had to look it up. lol

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 12:56 PM
No problem...I know you're a facts kind of guy, and I didn't trust my own old-ass memory, so I had to look it up. lol

older by the day my friend , just became a Grandpa for the 6th time 3 days ago

vader29
12-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Big Ben to Benjamin would be a nice combo to see in Pittsburgh. I do hope the Steelers take a big receiver or tight end early and then pick defense the rest of the way.

Bluecoat96
12-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Big Ben to Benjamin would be a nice combo to see in Pittsburgh. I do hope the Steelers take a big receiver or tight end early and then pick defense the rest of the way.

I tend to agree.

- - - Updated - - -

older by the day my friend , just became a Grandpa for the 6th time 3 days ago

Congrats, old man! lol

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Congrats, old man! lol

thanks , I think LOL

Dwinsgames
12-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Johnie Football and Mike Evans to enter draft

Steelman
12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Noticed Mariota might be rethinking decision. Wonder if he declares if that pushes Manziel out of the 1st.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Noticed Mariota might be rethinking decision. Wonder if he declares if that pushes Manziel out of the 1st.

doubt it pushed him out of the first round , even if that would mean someone moves up out of the second to take him late in the first , as many QBs as there seemingly is in this draft there still is not enough to go around to everyone that needs one and not all of these guys will make the leap successfully , to be honest I see most of them failing , far to much hype is being placed on this crop based on a lot of things that simply won't matter in the NFL ......

My favorite QB in this draft won't even hear his name called in the first round

Steelman
12-30-2013, 11:48 AM
doubt it pushed him out of the first round , even if that would mean someone moves up out of the second to take him late in the first , as many QBs as there seemingly is in this draft there still is not enough to go around to everyone that needs one and not all of these guys will make the leap successfully , to be honest I see most of them failing , far to much hype is being placed on this crop based on a lot of things that simply won't matter in the NFL ......

My favorite QB in this draft won't even hear his name called in the first round

No joke on all the QB hype. McShay had Bortles going 3rd overall! Madness.

I've been working on a 1st round mock and I think the Texans would be better served with Jake Matthews than Bridgewater. But I suspect they'll succumb to the need for a QB and go with Teddy.

Who's your favorite QB? McCarron?

Dwinsgames
12-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Who's your favorite QB? McCarron?

Yep you nailed it , quite honestly he has his flaws , don;t they all ? but at the end of the day he is a winner who possesses the skill set to continue that at the next level , the QB pos to me is most times over thought , you either can make the throws or you can't ... you can either read a def or you can't ...

give me a guy who can do both of those things and do them well and I will put him in a pos to succeed , today they are looking at so many things that do not mean a hill of beans in terms to playing QB in the NFL ....

I want a guy who is used to taking a snap from Center because 60%-70% of the snaps he takes in the NFL will come in that manner , I want a guy who is used to backpedaling into his drops 3-5 and 7 step drop backs not a guy who takes 95% of his snaps from the gun playing in a spread O and is going to give me fits for 3 or 4 years learning how to do the most basic of basic things a QB in this league MUST do and that is take a snap , move into pos with his drop back all while scanning the field and being aware of his surroundings ....

10 years from now I suspect everyone will look back at this draft and think what the hell where those guys thinking drafting that QB so high while McCarron was on the board for the plucking ...

I know right now this is not the popular belief of the masses but I would bet the farm ( unless he is drafted by the Browns ) before it is over he will be the best QB to come from the 2014 draft

Dwinsgames
01-08-2014, 07:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000310869/article/johnny-manziel-announces-decision-to-enter-2014-nfl-draft

Johnie Football declares

Steelman
01-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Blake Bortles declared too. ESPN must be drooling.

Dwinsgames
01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Blake Bortles declared too. ESPN must be drooling.

haha I wouldn't know , I avoid that network as much as humanly possible

Steelman
01-10-2014, 08:50 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311176/article/ha-ha-clintondix-cyrus-kouandjio-announce-early-draft-entry

Bama players Clinton-Dix, Kouandjio, Hubbard, Pagan declare.

Texasteel
01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Safety got a little richer. Calvin Pryor declared a few days ago.

Thought to be the second best safety in the draft. Not great foot speed, but not just awful. Known as the hardest hitter and maybe the best tackler in the draft, ( How many, you hit the guy to hard penalties will he draw). Coverage is a question, he seldom had to do it at Louisville. Had something like 70 tackles, and 3 INTs this year.

Dwinsgames
01-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Safety got a little richer. Calvin Pryor declared a few days ago.

Thought to be the second best safety in the draft. Not great foot speed, but not just awful. Known as the hardest hitter and maybe the best tackler in the draft, ( How many, you hit the guy to hard penalties will he draw). Coverage is a question, he seldom had to do it at Louisville. Had something like 70 tackles, and 3 INTs this year.

Enforcers are dying breed in the NFL , especially ones that play in the secondary

Texasteel
01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Enforcers are dying breed in the NFL , especially ones that play in the secondary

This is why I think I like Buccannon better, for us anyway. Still, someone may take him early forcing a better safety down to us. In theory anyway.