PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin says Worilds could stay at LOLB

Psycho Ward 86
12-04-2013, 11:49 PM
"I acknowledge that the work that we've gotten from Worilds, particularly on the left side of our defense, has been impressive and has not gone unnoticed by me."

Tomlin admitted he could switch Woodley to the right side and keep Worilds on the left, where he has been more effective. Worilds started five games on the right side this season.

"It's definitely something to consider, given Jason's performance since [Woodley has] been down, certainly. But I'm not ready to make that determination at this time. Obviously, Woodley's health and availability is a chief element of that decision and the decision-making process."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/05/On-the-Steelers-Receivers-will-put-out-welcome-mat-for-Wallace/stories/201312050209#ixzz2mZp03pZj

blackngldblood
12-04-2013, 11:54 PM
If I had any say in the matter, after the season, I would personally try to shop Woodley for a position of need and a draft pick. Resign Worilds and let the young man be the future. Jones will develope as well. Maybe someone is crazy enough to shoulder his monster contract? Dallas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dwinsgames
12-04-2013, 11:57 PM
If I had any say in the matter, after the season, I would personally try to shop Woodley for a position of need and a draft pick. Resign Worilds and let the young man be the future. Jones will develope as well. Maybe someone is crazy enough to shoulder his monster contract? Dallas?

hell I would be THRILLED to get a solid punter and a 3rd round pick ... with his monster contract we would be lucky to get the punter

blackngldblood
12-04-2013, 11:59 PM
hell I would be THRILLED to get a solid punter and a 3rd round pick ... with his monster contract we would be lucky to get the punter

Haha, you're right! I really really really really really hope and pray we don't lose Worilds after this year. IMO it will hurt far worse than the loss of Keenan Lewis, and that's turning into a big one.

Seven
12-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I'd like to see LaMarr have a shot at playing on the right. Worilds has earned his spot as starter on the left.

Dwinsgames
12-05-2013, 01:14 AM
I'd like to see LaMarr have a shot at playing on the right. Worilds has earned his spot as starter on the left.

put him out there no problem , 2 series later Jones will have his job back because Woodley will be hurt again

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2013, 02:25 AM

no, dallas is WAY the fuck over their salary cap as well. I think even worse than us. And they will have talented players that they will be trying to retain already such as jason hatcher. first teams that come to mind off the top of my head are the browns and the giants. the browns should have a crap ton of cap space still left over and the giants have had a really depth defensive line for many years and they seem to value that, so maybe they would be willing to add woodley to the rotation? not sure how their cap situation is.

maybe we'll get lucky and arizona will take him as part of their annual steelers-leftover harvest :lol:

Seven
12-05-2013, 02:40 AM
If the league has decided LaMarr Woodley can play in a 43 after the success he's had with the Steelers, something most personnel types didn't think he would be able to do coming out of college, the chances of finding a trade partner greatly increase.

Teams I could see making a play for him: Buccaneers, Eagles, Giants, Jets, Seahawks.

zulater
12-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Woodley says he will stay put on defense

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/3167/woodley-says-he-will-stay-put-on-defense

Mike Tomlin said he is open to flipping the Steelers' starting outside linebackers given how much success Jason Worilds has had on the left side of the defense.

Such a change apparently won't happen this week even if LaMarr Woodley returns from the calf injury that has sidelined him for the last three games.

Woodley practiced on a limited basis Wednesday, and the seven-year veteran said he will stay at left outside linebacker once he returns to action.

"I had a few reps on the right side [Wednesday] but I know I'll be playing left [outside linebacker] and Jason will be playing right," Woodley said after the Steelers' first practice of the week. "That's just what it is and until that gets changed I have no problem with that."

Worilds has been playing almost exclusively at left outside linebacker since Woodley got hurt, and the fourth-year veteran has excelled there. He leads the Steelers with six sacks, one more than Woodley.

Mojouw
12-05-2013, 08:07 AM
So once again, we could make Worilds good run of play all about how much we hate the Woodley contract, etc etc...OR...we could actually talk about what is a much larger problem.

If Worilds is actually a beast of a pass rusher, why the heck wasn't he given a run of play prior to now? Why was Jones drafted? Why wasn't he quietly given an extension to his rookie deal so that the team would not be put in the position it is now. For me, these are more critical than the Woodley deal. When it was signed, based on player performance, age, and market values, it looked like a good deal. Now due to injuries and a drop in performance it does not.

For a 3-4 team that relies on its pass rush to make the entire thing go, not being able to identify that Worilds was ready to take the next step in his development is distressing.

st33lersguy
12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Worilds should stay on the left side, he's earned that spot and would probably work better. They probably should have tried him at that spot earlier

Steeldude
12-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Could? *facepalm*

Surprising? Not at all.

ALLD
12-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Send Woodley to the Bengals.

XxKnightxX
12-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Worilds should stay on the left side, he's earned that spot and would probably work better. They probably should have tried him at that spot earlier

Yeah they should have. He's been playing on that side since he was in high school. Woodley has his obsess contract his Kankles should line up on the right side and earn his big boy dollars. I was always reserved on the whole woodley thing. But man what a waste of space he's becoming.

86WARD
12-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Would be a move in the right direction!

zulater
12-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure which is worse news, that Beachum was unable to practice today or that Woodley was a full participant.

Count Steeler
12-05-2013, 06:13 PM
So once again, we could make Worilds good run of play all about how much we hate the Woodley contract, etc etc...OR...we could actually talk about what is a much larger problem.

If Worilds is actually a beast of a pass rusher, why the heck wasn't he given a run of play prior to now? Why was Jones drafted? Why wasn't he quietly given an extension to his rookie deal so that the team would not be put in the position it is now. For me, these are more critical than the Woodley deal. When it was signed, based on player performance, age, and market values, it looked like a good deal. Now due to injuries and a drop in performance it does not.

For a 3-4 team that relies on its pass rush to make the entire thing go, not being able to identify that Worilds was ready to take the next step in his development is distressing.

It is important to note that he is a beast on the Left. On the right, he is so-so. And I sure hope that it is not Woodley's decision as to where he plays. Actually, he might as well take another week to heal fully.

steeldawg
12-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Worilids has been so good over there I think moving him would be a huge mistake.

dislocatedday
12-05-2013, 06:22 PM
I hope this is not the case, but it is possible that Worilds is only motivated to play at a high level right now due to the fact that he will be looking for a new contract after this season. I'm not saying that is the case, and I know nothing about Jason Worilds work ethic and motivation, but there have been players across the league that seem to have big performances when their contracts are about to expire.

Regardless, he is playing fantastic at LOLB right now, and I fully expect the coaches to keep him there regardless of what they (or Woodley) say to the media.

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I hope this is not the case, but it is possible that Worilds is only motivated to play at a high level right now due to the fact that he will be looking for a new contract after this season. I'm not saying that is the case, and I know nothing about Jason Worilds work ethic and motivation, but there have been players across the league that seem to have big performances when their contracts are about to expire.

Regardless, he is playing fantastic at LOLB right now, and I fully expect the coaches to keep him there regardless of what they (or Woodley) say to the media.

well, if we let every player that plays well during a contract year off the hook we would have no one left

dislocatedday
12-05-2013, 06:35 PM
well, if we let every player that plays well during a contract year off the hook we would have no one left

That's true, but I have never seen Worilds previously look this dominant when he was on the field. I know he has played some at LOLB before, and maybe it was in such small doses that I never had much chance to feel like I could truly evaluate his play. I guess I was just trying to say that I hope he is not ONLY playing well because he will be seeking a new contract.

Shoes
12-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure which is worse news, that Beachum was unable to practice today or that Woodley was a full participant.

:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2013, 09:32 PM
That's true, but I have never seen Worilds previously look this dominant when he was on the field. I know he has played some at LOLB before, and maybe it was in such small doses that I never had much chance to feel like I could truly evaluate his play. I guess I was just trying to say that I hope he is not ONLY playing well because he will be seeking a new contract.

well i mean he was a defensive end transitioning to OLB. And not only that, but a defensive end transitioning to OLB in a difficult defense to learn. so it only makes sense. and he was known as being raw, but a physical specimen. Raw players dont play well on this defense. He looks like he's getting it now. I mean there are a lot of plays where he is just dominating. I cant emphasize enough, he was incredible against the browns and ravens. He was literally bench pressing tackles with one hand on some plays.

if we decide to let him go on the basis that "oh, this is just a fluky im just looking for a big contract" performance, its going to be a keenan lewis type move all over again.

Keenan Lewis is only allowing a passer rating of 67.5 on passes thrown at him by the way people. Ike Taylor? An opposing passer rating of OVER 100.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000292987/article/patrick-peterson-joe-haden-nfls-best-cornerbacks
http://inagist.com/all/406237151316422656/

Steeldude
12-06-2013, 12:50 AM

Each time I saw Worilds play LOLB he did well. There was no drop-off. I would say there is improvement when Worilds is in. Woodley is a classic example of fans/coaches being fooled by some sacks.

I am hoping they can retain Worilds, but the Steelers will be outbid. Don't worry though, we will still have lazy Woodley and his bloated contract :thumbsup: As I predicted, Woodley's contract is killing the Steelers.

Seven
12-06-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm going to pat myself on the back here. I've thought Worilds was going to be a nice player from the second he was drafted, and I didn't lose faith anywhere along the way. I remember coming away from that draft thinking he was going to be a steal. He hasn't lived up to that yet, six sacks is only six sacks - he's not lighting the world on fire. But he's improving every week and you can see the development in his moves and awareness. His right arm is starting to look like James Harrison's; that thing is always swinging at the ball like a nine iron. He is a player that I do not think the Steelers can afford to lose. If Jones starts to develop, the two of them could be quite a force over the next few years.

I'm pretty excited about Jason Worilds. Just wish they would have gotten him on the field more last season when Woodley was struggling so much.

bendsteel
12-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah they should have. He's been playing on that side since he was in high school. Woodley has his obsess contract his Kankles should line up on the right side and earn his big boy dollars. I was always reserved on the whole woodley thing. But man what a waste of space he's becoming.

I tried reading that several times, and I have no idea what that means. Can someone clarify?

XxKnightxX
12-07-2013, 11:00 AM
I tried reading that several times, and I have no idea what that means. Can someone clarify?

Sorry. I had a high fever when typing that and did not proofread. I meant to say that his obese contract and his big Kankles should line up on the right side and earn his big boy dollars.

pepsyman1
12-08-2013, 02:11 AM

How long did it take for James Harrison to develop and get a starting spot?

Dwinsgames
12-08-2013, 09:12 AM

it's a little different when talking about an UDFA from a small school vs a 2nd round pick from a major program

Mojouw
12-08-2013, 09:12 AM

My issue is not with the length of Worilds development, it is that the team seems to have been taken by surprise by it. Once Harrison made the team, they were able to identify that he was worthy of playing time. Now Harrison leaves and they draft Jones in a panic, install him as the starter, he does nothing. Meanwhile, Worilds is generating more and more pressure and making more plays every week.

I am not saying that Jones will not develop into a core player for this team, or perhaps even a star; but the inability to see what they had in Worilds is troubling. And for what it is worth, I think Jones will never live up to his 1t round billing.

Texasteel
12-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I have often wondered about this teams ability to develop talent. Remember Troy was thought of by some as a bust his first year. Timmons was considered a bust for about 3 years. Some was about to give up on Heyward.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 04:40 PM
2 more sacks by worilds. BOTH from LOLB. Part of me is screaming "keep him at LOLB, hope the coaches stop being dumb," the other half of me is saying "keep him at ROLB so he doesnt play as well and we can actually afford him"

XxKnightxX
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
2 more sacks by worilds. BOTH from LOLB. Part of me is screaming "keep him at LOLB, hope the coaches keep being dumb," the other half of me is saying "keep him at ROLB so he doesnt play as well and we can actually afford him"

Hell end up with the Jets or another team and light up the whole world. Where was Woodley at today?

X-Terminator
12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Hell end up with the Jets or another team and light up the whole world. Where was Woodley at today?

Hopefully on the first bus out of town. What a HUGE mistake his signing was. Time to cut the dead weight and eat the dead money.

SteelerFanInStl
12-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I have often wondered about this teams ability to develop talent. Remember Troy was thought of by some as a bust his first year. Timmons was considered a bust for about 3 years. Some was about to give up on Heyward.

These coaches have done a very poor job of developing talent recently.