PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Where there's a Worilds ...

zulater
12-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Jason Worilds, who could be a free agent after the season, smiled when asked if he's making himself some money with his recent rampage.
“We've got some weeks before I can even think about money,” Worilds said.
That was before the Ravens game, before Worilds went on another rampage. He's making himself some money, all right, a fact that has amateur capoligists everywhere scurrying to their spreadsheets.
They're claiming there's no way the Steelers can keep Worilds because of dead-money hits and restructured contracts and enough mathematical equations to make your head spin.
If that is true — if the Steelers have backed themselves into a financial corner so tight that it would prohibit them from keeping a burgeoning, 25-year-old playmaker — then shame on them. That would be two years in a row they'd lose a talented defender before his second contract. Not exactly the way to rebuild a dying defense.
I have to believe that where there's a Worilds, there's a way.
(Cue the panicked capologist): Oh, but they couldn't absorb LaMarr Woodley's dead money (around $14 million over the remainder of his deal) if they traded him or cut him. He's worth more dead than alive! They couldn't cut Ike Taylor (he just restructured!). Don't even think about cutting Troy Polamalu. Worilds matured too late. Don't blame the Steelers. There's nothing they can do!
Excuse me: Are we talking about a perennial Super Bowl contender here or a team that is about to finish a third straight season without a playoff win for the first time since 1998-2000?
Get creative. Eat dead money. Use the franchise tag. Cut fan favorites. Do whatever you have to do to get younger and, eventually, better on defense.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/5139689-74/worilds-steelers-money#ixzz2mCUnhQNl
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Psycho Ward 86
12-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Worilds says he feels much more comfortable on the left side, where he played defensive end at Virginia Tech (and where he also sees lesser tackles).

“It's completely different,” Worilds said. “I don't even know what to compare it to ... maybe driving in America to driving overseas.”

normally i would use this quote to scold the coaching staff for not keeping him there (if they dont), but with the injuries we've had all season to the ones we've compiled to the ravens game + the loss, im not too optimistic on this season. id rather see him at ROLB just so that he doesnt perform as well and we can afford him in the offseason. This kid's bullrush has grown into something devastating. The most beautiful plays ive seen from him this season werent QB hits or sacks, they were pressures against the ravens and browns where he was shoving tackles 80+ pounds heavier than him into the quarterback with one hand. hot damn, i hope we dont treat worilds like we did lewis.