PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Sideline Interference

Mistah Q
11-29-2013, 01:07 AM
Embarrassing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pacv10Ptx7c

First we start with the chop blocking, now this? Get outta here...

Seven
11-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Yeah. That was a Harbaugh move. I'm not a fan of it. Or the chop blocking, for that matter.

Crow-Magnon
11-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Don't think JJ would have taken it to the house anyway, but still....a HC has gotta know better. At least Tomlin stepped up and accepted responsibility.

Shoes
11-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Crow, "accepting responsibility" are idle words used by Tomlin nearly every week. A stiff arm from Jones would have been appropriate IMO.

This thread would have been front and center if A. Brown was Jones and harbaugh was tomlin.

fansince'76
11-29-2013, 08:25 AM
This thread would have been front and center if A. Brown was Jones and harbaugh was tomlin.

Not really - if it would have been Brown making a long return like that it would have been nullified by a block in the back clear across the field away from the play anyway. This is OUR STs we're talking about here.

Shoes
11-29-2013, 08:27 AM
:chuckle:

st33lersguy
11-29-2013, 08:53 AM
That is bush-league. If we are going to resort to crap like that, we deserved to lose that game.

ALLD
11-29-2013, 08:53 AM
That looks like a $15k fine to me.

st33lersguy
11-29-2013, 09:08 AM
I expect to see that kind of crap pulled on Baltimore's sideline, I do not expect that b.s. to be pulled by the Steelers.

Crow-Magnon
11-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Crow, "accepting responsibility" are idle words used by Tomlin nearly every week. A stiff arm from Jones would have been appropriate IMO.

Well, having seen highlights of Tomlin giggling after the fact, I think you are right. He may be $50K lighter in the wallet after that.

GoSlash27
11-29-2013, 10:11 AM
And so it begins... :chuckle:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/mackdaddy_zps23743aad.jpg

tube517
11-29-2013, 10:18 AM

:rofl2:

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, having seen highlights of Tomlin giggling after the fact, I think you are right. He may be $50K lighter in the wallet after that.

I would have RATHER seen Jones elbow him in the side of the head

86WARD
11-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Not really - if it would have been Brown making a long return like that it would have been nullified by a block in the back clear across the field away from the play anyway. This is OUR STs we're talking about here.

Touché!

86WARD
11-29-2013, 10:26 AM
I expect to see that kind of crap pulled on Baltimore's sideline, I do not expect that b.s. to be pulled by the Steelers.

Definitely a Bush League Move. If he'd just stood still, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he stepped into the field of play.

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 10:32 AM
I didn't mind it. It's the NFL, and gamesmanship is part of the sport. It also adds some more spice to the rivalry, and what could be wrong with that? And before anyone asks, NO, I probably wouldn't have liked it had Harbitch done it, which may seem hypocritical, but at the same time, I get the gamesmanship aspect of it.

Bash away, but know that I could care less what anyone thinks of me for saying this.

GoSlash27
11-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Intentional or not, anybody who steps out there oughtta be fined if it so much as appears that they *might* have interfered.
/ stay the hell behind the line!!

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000289611/Reaction-to-Tomlin-stepping-on-the-field

SteelerFanInStl
11-29-2013, 11:19 AM
It's a bush league move and I don't like it. Just one more thing for the fans of other teams to whine about. I hope that he gets a big fine.

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Also, I'm willing to bet that if it had been Cowher who did this, it would get laughed off by Steelers fans. The only reason Tomlin is getting bashed is because so many Steelers fans hate him.

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2013, 12:00 PM
that was just dirty. we are very fortunate the referees didnt award a touchdown, i believe one of the announcers said that that could have been done.

just one of the several things that happened during the game that indicated that the ravens were just in control of the game. dont let the score fool you

Mightyfist
11-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Can they fire him now please?

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Also, I'm willing to bet that if it had been Cowher who did this, it would get laughed off by Steelers fans. The only reason Tomlin is getting bashed is because so many Steelers fans hate him.

ok I will bite ... why do they hate him so much ?

my reasoning has to do with how seemingly unprepared this team he assembled is from week to week and the continued act he puts on in front of the media acting pissed off about it and then his little cliches about we own what we did but does not show it by making sure the next week those same things do not bite this team in the ass yet again ...

but I am but 1 person , why do you feel the masses hate him

86WARD
11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't really hate Tomlin. I actually kind of like him. I think he needs to work on his "game" as a head coach, but overall, he's better than a lot out there IMO.

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
ok I will bite ... why do they hate him so much ?

my reasoning has to do with how seemingly unprepared this team he assembled is from week to week and the continued act he puts on in front of the media acting pissed off about it and then his little cliches about we own what we did but does not show it by making sure the next week those same things do not bite this team in the ass yet again ...

but I am but 1 person , why do you feel the masses hate him

There has been a large section of the fanbase that hasn't liked Tomlin from day one, because he doesn't have "spittin' chin" Cowher's mentality. That faction has only gotten louder now that the Steelers have the audacity to have a couple of mediocre seasons, and has now been joined by fans upset over those mediocre seasons...the same ones that their beloved Cowher went through in the transition period in the late 1990s between perennial playoff teams. I'm sure you remember how many fans wanted Cowher fired back then and a lot of the same reasons were given. Bottom line, Steelers fans are fickle, don't have an ounce of patience and are completely unwilling to deal with a few down seasons while the team reloads.

Butch
11-29-2013, 12:59 PM

While you may be right I don't see how you can prove it unless there is something I don't remember.

I do remember a game in the 70's where madden alleged the Steelers had purposely froze the field in a playoff game no less.

I look at it like this. What Chuck may have done and what Tomlin did may be gamesmanship, but...what Tomlin blatantly did gives other teams a very real reason to lable our team as a cheap shot team. What Chuck may have done cannot be proven so no harm no foul. Don't know if that makes sence, but that is the way I see it. My 2 cents

Shoes
11-29-2013, 01:01 PM

I don't hate Tomlin, he was offered a job he wasn't qualified for and took it.

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 01:02 PM
While you may be right I don't see how you can prove it unless there is something I don't remember.

I do remember a game in the 70's where madden alleged the Steelers had purposely froze the field in a playoff game no less.

I look at it like this. What Chuck may have done and what Tomlin did may be gamesmanship, but...what Tomlin blatantly did gives other teams a very real reason to lable our team as a cheap shot team. What Chuck may have done cannot be proven so no harm no foul. Don't know if that makes sence, but that is the way I see it. My 2 cents

I'm not sure why everyone cares so much about how the team is labeled. Raiders fans certainly have no problem embracing the "heel" mentality. Steelers fans should do the same.

That puts you in the "hasn't liked him from day one" category. Sorry Shoes.

tube517
11-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Also people hated Tomlin (at the time of hire ) because they felt Russ Grimm should have gotten it. Were those the Cowher fans, probably.

As far as Jacoby Jones he should have kept running and put his elbow out and knocked Tomlin back to "House"

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 4

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 01:04 PM
There has been a large section of the fanbase that hasn't liked Tomlin from day one, because he doesn't have "spittin' chin" Cowher's mentality. That faction has only gotten louder now that the Steelers have the audacity to have a couple of mediocre seasons, and has now been joined by fans upset over those mediocre seasons...the same ones that their beloved Cowher went through in the transition period in the late 1990s between perennial playoff teams. I'm sure you remember how many fans wanted Cowher fired back then and a lot of the same reasons were given. Bottom line, Steelers fans are fickle, don't have an ounce of patience and are completely unwilling to deal with a few down seasons while the team reloads.

fair enough , and I also remember the " he won with Nolls players" statements as well like we now are hearing about Tomlin ( both times true statements ) ...

for me its about the prepardness of the team and the team seemingly being much softer than what we are accustomed to ...

Wins and losses matter to me , they do not matter as much if I witness a team that is fighting and a team that is physically and mentally tough and prepared ... sometimes the other team just has more talent and I can accept that when that is the reason why we lose ..when we lose and continue to lose for other reasons such as team readiness and coaching those I can not accept

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 01:08 PM
fair enough , and I also remember the " he won with Nolls players" statements as well like we now are hearing about Tomlin ( both times true statements ) ...

for me its about the prepardness of the team and the team seemingly being much softer than what we are accustomed to ...

Wins and losses matter to me , they do not matter as much if I witness a team that is fighting and a team that is physically and mentally tough and prepared ... sometimes the other team just has more talent and I can accept that when that is the reason why we lose ..when we lose and continue to lose for other reasons such as team readiness and coaching those I can not accept

Fair enough as well. To be honest, I have concerns about the coaching staff's preparedness as well. I'm just not a knee-jerk, "FIAR TAWMLIN" kind of fan and recognize that there are many more issues with the team than just the head coach.

Todd Haley, on the other hand...

st33lersguy
11-29-2013, 01:10 PM

Had Cowher done that, my reaction would have been the same as it has been with Tomlin. My dissatisfaction in what he did is based solely off the action that reflects poorly on an organization that prides itself on class.

Butch
11-29-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure why everyone cares so much about how the team is labeled. Raiders fans certainly have no problem embracing the "heel" mentality. Steelers fans should do the same.

I will answer that the best way I know how...I don't see the Rooney's letting the team travel down that path and is a large reason many fans love this team. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

if that is the Steelers way it would really make me wonder why we ever let go of Santonio.

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Todd Haley, on the other hand...

not to defend Haley ( he has done plenty wrong IMO ) but he did manage to help us score 3 TDs in the redzone against the leagues best redzone Def on the road ......

and he was pretty much set up to fail this season by not having an O-Line worthy of mention

that is as much praise as I have for the man at this juncture

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 01:26 PM
I will answer that the best way I know how...I don't see the Rooney's letting the team travel down that path and is a large reason many fans love this team. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

if that is the Steelers way it would really make me wonder why we ever let go of Santonio.

I mean more in terms of tough, physical football. But I still have no issue with the gamesmanship aspect of what Tomlin did, because that kind of stuff has been going on since the sport was played on dirt fields in the 1920s.

Shoes
11-29-2013, 01:29 PM

That puts you in the "hasn't liked him from day one" category. Sorry Shoes.

I'm sorry your so quick to place folks in a "category"

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry your so quick to place folks in a "category"

Well then what would you call it? No offense, but you've been on the "fire Tomlin" bandwagon for as long as I've known you. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Mistah Q
11-29-2013, 01:57 PM

I seem to remember plenty of "Fire Cowher" threads back in the day... and it was classic Cowher that the team would start off, say, 1-3, before gearing up for its playoff run. Cowher had his share of both haters and of fair criticism. But, when we approached midseason those teams were ready to fight and play tough football, even that time we went what was it, 6-10. Except of course Cowher's final season, he clearly mailed it in...

But that's beside the point, at least the point you're making. If Cowher had pulled this move I'd be embarrassed by that too. The closest comparison I can think of is when he ran onto the field after that 12-men penalty and stuffed that paper in the ref's pocket. But that wasn't interfering with any play... totally different kind of thing. Cowher wouldn't have done this, even in a rivalry game.

I get enjoying adding aspects to the rivalry... but I hate to see this team building that kind of character for itself. What was the point of cutting Holmes, Ta'amu, etc, if that's the case?

Shoes
11-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Well then what would you call it? No offense, but you've been on the "fire Tomlin" bandwagon for as long as I've known you. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Then you don't know me very well.....and no offense taken. I supported Tomlin back on the old forum up unit this season. There were things that troubled me over the years about his coaching, but I believe I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his age. It's pretty clear to me now.

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 02:13 PM
I seem to remember plenty of "Fire Cowher" threads back in the day... and it was classic Cowher that the team would start off, say, 1-3, before gearing up for its playoff run. Cowher had his share of both haters and of fair criticism. But, when we approached midseason those teams were ready to fight and play tough football, even that time we went what was it, 6-10. Except of course Cowher's final season, he clearly mailed it in...

But that's beside the point, at least the point you're making. If Cowher had pulled this move I'd be embarrassed by that too. The closest comparison I can think of is when he ran onto the field after that 12-men penalty and stuffed that paper in the ref's pocket. But that wasn't interfering with any play... totally different kind of thing. Cowher wouldn't have done this, even in a rivalry game.

I get enjoying adding aspects to the rivalry... but I hate to see this team building that kind of character for itself. What was the point of cutting Holmes, Ta'amu, etc, if that's the case?

That's fine. I know I'm in the vast, vast minority on this issue.

Then you don't know me very well.....and no offense taken. I supported Tomlin back on the old forum up unit this season. There were things that troubled me over the years about his coaching, but I believe I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his age. It's pretty clear to me now.

OK, then I did have you pegged wrong. My bad.

Shoes
11-29-2013, 02:24 PM
No problem here XT.

Butch
11-29-2013, 02:25 PM
I mean more in terms of tough, physical football. But I still have no issue with the gamesmanship aspect of what Tomlin did, because that kind of stuff has been going on since the sport was played on dirt fields in the 1920s.

Fair enough I am fine with some gamesmanship, but not all of it. I prefer the "Pam" approach. "Pam" approach be slick if you don't want to stick. I don't like what Mike did as it reflects on the organization, the Rooney's and the fanbase. I am not up in arms about it just hope we have seen the last of it.

86WARD
11-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Again, I like Tomlin to a point...to me he comes across as a coach that can get lazy at times...maybe instead of printing neatly in block letters, he'll scribble in cursive to get it down on paper and forget to cross a T or dot an I? All the info is there, but it's messy. Where as someone like Belichick will print and make sure everything is dotted and crossed and very organized.

He just seems like he's not always applying himself behind closed doors preparation wise?

vader29
11-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Cowher came close to tackling a Jaguars player on the sideline back in '97 http://articles.philly.com/1997-09-24/sports/25550265_1_jaguars-kick-nfl-rules-abc-officials

Mistah Q
11-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah, he thought about it - but he didn't interfere with the field of play.

Craic
11-29-2013, 02:52 PM

I hear what you're saying here, but wonder if there might be a couple other factors as well. If the more talented team won every game, then the phrase "Any Given Sunday" wouldn't be applicable. I think there's also the element of teams targeting other teams, and the Steelers are one of those teams that EVERY team will get up to play. On top of that, sometimes skill sets match better to shut down a team, even though the losing team is more talented. Think, for example, of the Ravens having the Pats* number quite a few times.

That doesn't excuse a loss, but rather, I'm suggesting that sometimes, it's about more than just talent and preparation and hard work.

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 02:59 PM
I hear what you're saying here, but wonder if there might be a couple other factors as well. If the more talented team won every game, then the phrase "Any Given Sunday" wouldn't be applicable. I think there's also the element of teams targeting other teams, and the Steelers are one of those teams that EVERY team will get up to play. On top of that, sometimes skill sets match better to shut down a team, even though the losing team is more talented. Think, for example, of the Ravens having the Pats* number quite a few times.

That doesn't excuse a loss, but rather, I'm suggesting that sometimes, it's about more than just talent and preparation and hard work.

I won't argue with that ... but the main focus of my point is AS LONG AS I see a team that is physically and mentally ready to play and is being well coached losses do not piss me off as bad , but when it is clear they are not ready to play and they look lost , flat and unprepared and you are witnessing coaching errors , bad play calling and clock mismanagement on top of the rest and you lose a game ( or series of games ) and are not very competitive because of those reasons then I take offense ....

again if we are playing hard , playing with physical and mental toughness and being well coached in the process and we do not win ...so be it ( it sucks but what can ya do you can see the effort was there )

Mistah Q
11-29-2013, 03:02 PM
On top of that, sometimes skill sets match better to shut down a team, even though the losing team is more talented. Think, for example, of the Ravens having the Pats* number quite a few times.

Kind of like how the Titans had our number for years...

GoSlash27
11-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Another poster who doesn't approve of this, but has never been on the "fire Tomlin" bandwagon. Sorry, but I think you're way off-base with this one.

Count Steeler
11-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Bet ya he gets fined, or at least talked to by the Commish. It was on national TV on Thanksgiving.

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2013, 04:59 PM
that wasnt gamesmanship. it was cheating

tube517
11-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Speaking of sideline stuff, I forgot about this one:

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/caf59d20-aeb4-4acb-be5f-c6fb23209ab1/?source=twitter&repost=120

katmandu
11-29-2013, 05:43 PM
I think it would be very interesting to see exactly WHEN Tomlin made that move to the sideline in the first place.

Was he standing there BEFORE that play OR when he realized the play was coming down the sideline.

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Speaking of sideline stuff, I forgot about this one:

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/caf59d20-aeb4-4acb-be5f-c6fb23209ab1/?source=twitter&repost=120

http://www.gifti.me/i/b04JDSw5e.gif

CLAIMED he thought about tackling him but didn't ... but the video evidence shows a different portrayal ... its clear to me the thought was not tackle him . it was punch him .... but he didn't and he was not smiling either ....

his foot was also in the field of play

zulater
11-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I think it would be very interesting to see exactly WHEN Tomlin made that move to the sideline in the first place.

Was he standing there BEFORE that play OR when he realized the play was coming down the sideline.

Good question.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not happy with what Tomlin did on one hand. But on the other hand I think it's being overblown. He should get fined, how much? Who knows? And I don't really care. This will pass soon enough. It just can't happen again, and it wont.

T&B fan
11-29-2013, 07:56 PM
my ? what the hell was he looking at ,the players came up from behind him ???

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 08:04 PM
my ? what the hell was he looking at ,the players came up from behind him ???

the jumbotron

Craic
11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
I don't have much of a problem with it for the reason that it's a gamesmanship issue - if he DOES interfere with the play, the Ravens get the TD. Period. So, he was seeing how close he could come to interfering without actually doing it. In truth, I think the returner made a mistake there. He should've ran straight ahead and drilled Tomlin, especially since he was about to be caught from behind.

On the other side of it, I see no real difference between that and a DB reaching out and grabbing a jersey while his back's turned to the ref in hopes that he can hold just long enough to slow the receiver without getting caught. They're bets that players take in a game. Risks.

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Again, I don't expect anyone to agree with my opinions, but I stand firmly behind all of them.

Moose
11-29-2013, 08:58 PM
I personally think Tomilin knew exactly where he was standing, and I think he knew the play was happening right behind him. I think NO ONE should be allowed to step on the playing field unless you are a player. Coaches should be fined just as the team penalized with too many players on the field. I surely hope Tomlin isn.t dumb enough to think he would make a difference in the play. If I was Jones I would have kept running and knocked Tomlin with a elbow rather than trying to side step as he did. Tomlin, I feel, didn't change the play, Jones would've been tackled either way. But, as was said earlier, the team will be trashed talked now for awhile. Smooth move Mike .

Seven
11-29-2013, 09:14 PM

I disagree. I'm one of Coach Tomlin's biggest supporters. I think he's as good as Cowher. And I wouldn't like the move no matter who pulled it.

Would Dick LeBeau ever pull something like that? No. That should be the standard.

bayz101
11-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Again, I don't expect anyone to agree with my opinions, but I stand firmly behind all of them.

Allow me to line up behind you --- although I don't even believe he's guilty of attempting to interfere in the first place.

GoSlash27
11-29-2013, 10:17 PM

That may very well be, but it doesn't diminish the fact that unfairly pigeonholing other posters is highly insulting. It's like the weenies who say that people who disagree with the President are racist.

Me personally, I'm not overly bothered by it. That shoe obviously doesn't fit me, so I'll just chuck it aside... but I can understand how people would take that claim the wrong way.
What *does* bother me is that it does nothing to further the discussion, but increases the possibility of a flame-war and bent feelings. That would be even more disappointing, since it had no effect on the outcome of the game and thus isn't worth the drama.

So yeah your opinion, etc... but IMO not one worth the trouble that putting it forth can generate.

My $0.02 :alcohol:

smokin3000gt
11-29-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't think it was intentional. Unless I've missed something in the last seven years, MT has given me no reason to think he's that kind of person or coach.

Craic
11-29-2013, 10:35 PM

It's only worth half a cent now due to inflation.

:bananalama: :chuckle:

GoSlash27
11-29-2013, 10:55 PM
I don't think it was intentional. Unless I've missed something in the last seven years, MT has given me no reason to think he's that kind of person or coach.

Yeah. FWIW I agree with you. Looking at the long shot from the Ravens' end zone, it seems obvious to me that Tomlin didn't realize that he was in the way until the last half second or so. I also don't think that Jones would've gotten any farther even if he wasn't there and Baltimore still won the game.
So (IMO) not intentional, didn't interfere, and didn't affect the outcome.
Nevertheless shouldn't have happened, so if he gets fined... he had it coming.

fansince'76
11-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Had Cowher done that, my reaction would have been the same as it has been with Tomlin.

http://www.gifti.me/i/THf5bo.jpg

Mistah Q
11-30-2013, 12:01 AM

http://www.gifti.me/i/THf5bo.jpg

Yep, seeing it from that angle I have to say, shitty move on Cowher's part. Doesn't make me any less disappointed to see it from Tomlin.

In both cases the runner would have been justified in stiff-arming the coach. As far as Tomlin goes, I think he absolutely knew where he was, and much like Bell's flip into the end zone early this season... let's hope we won't be seeing any more of that. I don't want to root for a team that's associated with dirty play.

Craic
11-30-2013, 02:07 AM
I remember that. But to be honest, I also remember Cowher going up to him after the game and apologizing. I think what Tomlin did was both smart (from a perspective of thinking quickly, I don't buy for a second that he did it on "accident") and right on the edge. Maybe over it a tad.

However, I'd much rather see that then bounty payouts or videotaping.

zulater
11-30-2013, 07:45 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/197wft2w3ehnigif/ku-xlarge.gif

stillers4me
11-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Didn't the Jets use their whole o line to do the same thing just last year?

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2013, 09:40 AM

I'm not buying it. The big shit eating grin on his face right after it happened tells me that he knew exactly what he was doing.

Moose
11-30-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm not buying it. The big shit eating grin on his face right after it happened tells me that he knew exactly what he was doing.

Exactly ! I like Mike, this was just a bad decision, and I do believe it didn't alter the results of the play or game at all. Just a bad, in the moment, decision.

Psycho Ward 86
11-30-2013, 11:38 AM
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_10.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SqabkC1.gif
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_6.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_7.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_8.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_9.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_2.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_3.jpg
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/tomlin_dance_5.jpg

:lol:

Mistah Q
11-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Something tells me that we won't be seeing it happen again - but we'll be having fun with this for years.

X-Terminator
11-30-2013, 02:02 PM
That may very well be, but it doesn't diminish the fact that unfairly pigeonholing other posters is highly insulting. It's like the weenies who say that people who disagree with the President are racist.

Me personally, I'm not overly bothered by it. That shoe obviously doesn't fit me, so I'll just chuck it aside... but I can understand how people would take that claim the wrong way.
What *does* bother me is that it does nothing to further the discussion, but increases the possibility of a flame-war and bent feelings. That would be even more disappointing, since it had no effect on the outcome of the game and thus isn't worth the drama.

So yeah your opinion, etc... but IMO not one worth the trouble that putting it forth can generate.

It's not like I don't have 6 years of empirical evidence that shows that there hasn't been a lot of love for Tomlin since the beginning. But putting that aside, I will apologize if anyone was offended by those statements.

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Now they're talking about this possibly costing the Steelers a draft pick. What? How could the NFL possibly take a draft pick away for this? That would be complete BS!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000290187/article/mike-tomlin-incident-might-cost-steelers-a-draft-pick

Of course the fact that douchebag Rapoport is reporting this makes me question it highly.

Spike
12-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Shefter/Mortensen reported NFL looking at six figure fine and possible loss of draft pick.

We should make a deal - we keep our draft pick if we fire our entire coaching staff

Boh
12-01-2013, 10:16 AM
A fine, sure, a loss of draft pick? fucking absurd.

zulater
12-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Now they're talking about this possibly costing the Steelers a draft pick. What? How could the NFL possibly take a draft pick away for this? That would be complete BS!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000290187/article/mike-tomlin-incident-might-cost-steelers-a-draft-pick

Of course the fact that douchebag Rapoport is reporting this makes me question it highly.

Might be deserved. Was a really stupid move on his part. A coach, a head coach in particular shouldn't try to influence a play on the field ever!
Just hope it's a 3rd day pick and not higher than the 5th round.

If Tomlin were smart he would give a sincere apology asap, and maybe get ahead of it a little.

By the way even though that was a bad no call by the refs the Ravens first and only touchdown of the game was a complete gift from the officials due to their no call on Oher's clear illegal procedure. That call gets made and the Ravens are 3rd and goal from the 12. Good chance they don't get the td there.

Throw in the illegal procedure that should have been called on Suisham that influenced the field position to set up the Ravens first fg, then the non call on the faceguarding on Sanders on the 2 point conversion attempt and the Ravens came away pretty damn good on the non calls when it was all said and done.

Nadroj 20
12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't know if he did it intentionally or not. My guess is he really didn't have time to think about it and it was unintentional. After watching the replay though, Jones would have been caught from behind anyway! He did not change direction that much, maybe slightly.

Doesn't make it right if Tomlin did it on purpose which I don't see how anyone can prove unless they can read Mike's mind, but I think it's worth mentioning that Jones wasn't scoring on that play anyway.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2013, 10:32 AM
A fine, sure, a loss of draft pick? fucking absurd.

I agree ..... 100k Fine , draft pick ? gimme a break

- - - Updated - - -

as a side note if it ends up costing us a draft pick it could also cost Tomlin his job ( the straw that broke the camels back sort of thing )

steelerdude15
12-01-2013, 10:34 AM
So let me get this straight.... The Titans owner gives fans the finger a few years ago and gets a fine, yet Mike Tomlin interferes with a play and we could possibly get a fine and lose a draft pick? Fuck that. Now, don't get me wrong, I think what Tomlin did was wrong and he shouldn't have done it. I can understand a fine, but losing a draft pick over this? That's taking it too far.

zulater
12-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree ..... 100k Fine , draft pick ? gimme a break

- - - Updated - - -

as a side note if it ends up costing us a draft pick it could also cost Tomlin his job ( the straw that broke the camels back sort of thing )

Noll cost the Steelers a 3rd round draft pick by holding illegal padded practices during spring mini camps. So that wont happen.

Godfather
12-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Goofdell will probably give that draft pick to the Patriots*.

zulater
12-01-2013, 10:41 AM
So let me get this straight.... The Titans owner gives fans the finger a few years ago and gets a fine, yet Mike Tomlin interferes with a play and we could possibly get a fine and lose a draft pick? Fuck that. Now, don't get me wrong, I think what Tomlin did was wrong and he shouldn't have done it. I can understand a fine, but losing a draft pick over this? That's taking it too far.

Not really comparable. If he had thrown some marbles on the field from his box to stop a run back, then we're talking.

Hopefully the draft pick thing is being thrown out there to give the Steelers and Tomlin time to get on top of this and issue a real apology, you know one with actual contrition, before the week is out. Tomlin should start his next press conference with a genuine apology instead of the smart ass garbage he's come out with so far.

vader29
12-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Yeah maybe he could have put Tomlin in a coma or even killed him, then those Raven players would have been happy. :rolleyes:

zulater
12-01-2013, 11:52 AM

Yeah maybe he could have put Tomlin in a coma or even killed him, then those Raven players would have been happy. :rolleyes:

Ray Ray would have taken a knife to him.

X-Terminator
12-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Well, if you've read this whole thread, some of our own fans feel the same way. So why is it wrong for Ravens players to say it?

Also, taking away a draft pick for this would be complete bullshit.

fansince'76
12-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Also, taking away a draft pick for this would be complete bullshit.

Which is why it'll probably happen.

steelreserve
12-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I doubt they'd actually take away a draft pick. That's all based on Ian Rappaport making stuff up, and if you look, he's being all belligerent and shitty about it on Twitter, which for a guy like that is the standard operating procedure when you're full of crap. More likely they give Tomlin a big fine, which he deserves. I'm sorry, but that wasn't fooling anybody.

Mistah Q
12-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Sheesh I'm disappointed Tomlin did it, he deserves a fine -- but a fine and it not happening again, and I'm good.

Six figures fine, draft pick loss... that's kind of absurd to be talking about.

smokin3000gt
12-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't listen to anything Ian makappareport says.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2013, 03:10 PM
The Mike Tomlin sideline incident on Thursday when he stood too close to the field and forced Ravens returner Jacoby Jones (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8327) to change his path has received a ton of attention, and it was probably assumed by most people that the league would fine him and that would be that.
But a report on Sunday indicated the league is really, really angry and perhaps ready to overreact.
NFL.com reported (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000290187/article/nfl-could-dock-steelers-a-draft-pick-for-tomlin-incident) that not only does Tomlin face a fine, which ESPN said could be six figures (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10063295/nfl-expected-consider-fining-mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-coach-six-figures-stepping-field-baltimore-ravens), but the Steelers face a fine as well and might be stripped of a draft pick too.
That's utterly ridiculous.
Most likely, the league leaked this to put fear into any team that is even thinking about getting a little too close to the field on their sideline to disrupt a run, as Tomlin did. There's no way the NFL would strip the Steelers of a draft pick over that play ... right?
Fox's Jay Glazer had reported that the league had warned teams about sideline interference the day before, so that might play into the punishment. Still, to go from not even getting a penalty flag on the play to losing a draft pick seems extreme, to say the least.

But, if the NFL is sending a message by letting it be known the Steelers might lose a draft pick over that play, it will probably work. You can be sure that nobody will be anywhere near the restricted area of the sideline the rest of this season.

was not aware until this article of the bold , and THAT may weigh heavily into the punishment , remember spygate . the warning the league sent out just before they busted Bellicheat ??

I would not put it past Goodell to send a strong message , after all if he did it to Bellicheat he will do it to Tomlin

Mistah Q
12-01-2013, 03:18 PM
I hear they're actually going to fine James Harrison

fansince'76
12-01-2013, 03:19 PM
was not aware until this article of the bold , and THAT may weigh heavily into the punishment , remember spygate . the warning the league sent out just before they busted Bellicheat ??

I would not put it past Goodell to send a strong message , after all if he did it to Bellicheat he will do it to Tomlin

Yes, because a one-time occurrence is equivalent to the better part of a decade of systemic cheating.

But, considering the hard-on Goodell has against the Steelers, I can see us getting docked a draft pick for this.

Mistah Q
12-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes, because a one-time occurrence is equivalent to the better part of a decade of systemic cheating..Better part? After watching the second half of that Broncos-Patriots game I don't know how sure I can be it isn't still going on to some extent

Dwinsgames
12-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Yes, because a one-time occurrence is equivalent to the better part of a decade of systemic cheating.

But, considering the hard-on Goodell has against the Steelers, I can see us getting docked a draft pick for this.

didnt say I agreed ... said I can see it potentially happening based on said warning

st33lersguy
12-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, one incident of sideline interference gets the same punishment as multiple years of cheating that led to 3 Superbowls. Welcome to the new NFL

smokin3000gt
12-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I hear they're actually going to fine James Harrison

which will result in suspension.

Count Steeler
12-01-2013, 06:58 PM
A draft pick would be just too way over the top.

Would be hard for the Goodell apologists to defend him if he does choose that route. But, judging by the way he tried to throw Ben under the bus and his whole handling of Ben's suspension, I hope the pick is not in the first 3 rounds.

Butch
12-01-2013, 07:22 PM
A fine yes...A draft pick hell no!!!

As others here have said I would not put it past "That guy", after the way he handled the saints "so called bountygate". He trumped up charges and made them look bad. It was utter bull crap and this would be right up there with that.

Maybe "That guy" hates black and yellow.

86WARD
12-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Nothing would surprise me and if there was a memo the day before...he and the team are screwed.

katmandu
12-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Sheesh I'm disappointed Tomlin did it, he deserves a fine -- but a fine and it not happening again, and I'm good.

Six figures fine, draft pick loss... that's kind of absurd to be talking about.It's a cold day in hell !

I actually agree with Mistah Q for once !

katmandu
12-01-2013, 10:22 PM
my ? what the hell was he looking at ,the players came up from behind him ???Where was the Jumbotron located ?? If it was directly across the field from the Steeler's bench, that would make sense why he was standing there.

I would like to know WHEN he made his move to go to that exact spot he was standing. Was it long before that play or during the play when he realized....."Oh man! I might be able to fugg this play up by getting in his way !!"

Boh
12-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Where was the Jumbotron located ?? If it was directly across the field from the Steeler's bench, that would make sense why he was standing there.

Three in each endzone.

not like he needed to get a better view, they're huge

http://i.imgur.com/52UZzZR.jpg

salamander
12-02-2013, 06:42 AM
I fully expect the league to use the Steelers as an "example" of what happens when a coach does what Tomlin did.

NCSteeler
12-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm in the minority, I know, but I don't think he intentionally did it. I've seen him in that area before, watching the jumbo-tron. I'd like to think the league would review the tapes of previous games and see if his claims could be true or if he BSing. I also read that their jumbo-tron is on 2 sec delay so he didn't see Jones till it was so late. Can any Ravens fans tell me if that is true?

BUT, Jets got $100,000 for actually tripping a player running down the side lines. I could easily see $100,000 but a draft pick would be way over the top.

Iron Steeler
12-02-2013, 10:58 AM

That is exactly how I feel . I pray everyday somehow we could get whiz back! Next year give him a chance to be a head coach again . Hopefully the rooneys get sick of Tomlins lack of knowledge and can him . The only sad thing is that the player appartly like him. Until the locker room turns on him he will remain ether steelers head coach :(

- - - Updated - - -

A fine yes...A draft pick hell no!!!

As others here have said I would not put it past "That guy", after the way he handled the saints "so called bountygate". He trumped up charges and made them look bad. It was utter bull crap and this would be right up there with that.

Maybe "That guy" hates black and yellow.

Maybe if we lose a draft pick the rooneys will wake up and can Tomlin

vader29
12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
New Video Angle Shows Mike Tomlin Incident, League Considers Punishment

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The NFL is reviewing whether Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin tried to interfere with a kick return in Baltimore.

The play is being discussed among Steelers fans across Pittsburgh and the entire country.

KDKA has another angle of the play shot exclusively by a KDKA-TV photographer.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02/new-video-angle-shows-mike-tomlin-incident-league-considers-punishment/

The Bark
12-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I've said this in prior seasons when players have been fined while no flag was thrown on a play - I think Goodell needs to realize this trend is diminishing the credibility of his officiating crews who aren't making the calls on the field. Apparently they're not getting the messages, either.

fansince'76
12-02-2013, 12:15 PM
That is exactly how I feel . I pray everyday somehow we could get whiz back! Next year give him a chance to be a head coach again .

Why? BA, who was roundly hated, is doing a better job with essentially the same team that Whisenhunt went 5-11 with last year.

Once Warner retired, Whisenhunt got exposed. Badly, IMO. And he handled the QB situation in AZ after Warner retired about as deftly as Cowher did in Pittsburgh - and that's no compliment. I know it's fashionable for folks to place all the blame on Ben for being at odds with Whisenhunt when he was still our OC, but I'm not one of them and I have a feeling that Ben had/has very valid reasons for his position in the matter.

Sure, let's go get Whisenhunt back - and all of a sudden those rumors about Ben wanting a trade have veracity. And all of a sudden the Cards (which is more than likely where he'd wind up) would be a very serious contender in the NFC. If he can tear it up with a smurf like AB, just imagine what he'd do with Fitz...

salamander
12-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Why? BA, who was roundly hated, is doing a better job with essentially the same team that Whisenhunt went 5-11 with last year.

Once Warner retired, Whisenhunt got exposed. Badly, IMO.

Some people just can't let go of the Cowher regime.

fansince'76
12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Some people just can't let go of the Cowher regime.

I know and I simply don't understand it.

MrPgh
12-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Once Warner retired, Whisenhunt got exposed. Badly, IMO. And he handled the QB situation in AZ after Warner retired about as deftly as Cowher did in Pittsburgh - and that's no compliment. I know it's fashionable for folks to place all the blame on Ben for being at odds with Whisenhunt when he was still our OC, but I'm not one of them and I have a feeling that Ben had/has very valid reasons for his position in the matter.

Sure, let's go get Whisenhunt back - and all of a sudden those rumors about Ben wanting a trade have veracity. And all of a sudden the Cards (which is more than likely where he'd wind up) would be a very serious contender in the NFC. If he can tear it up with a smurf like AB, just imagine what he'd do with Fitz...

But the easiest thing to do is to blame the franchise QB! Nevermind the owner that wants a return to the stone age, or the egomaniac OC that doesn't want to use the no-huddle until he has to, or the cap-crippling, washed-up defense! IT'S ALL BEN'S FAULT! :chuckle:

As for Whiz, no way in hell he returns to Pittsburgh. Supposedly there's some bad blood between him and the Rooneys.

Boh
12-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Damn. I was kinda on the fence about the whole thing till i saw this, lol

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19866s91au29igif/ku-xlarge.gif

Shoes
The only coach I'd take back is Chuck ....but he's too old. :chuckle:

cold-hard-steel
Tomlin might get fined just for that grin on his face after the fact .

fansince'76
12-02-2013, 01:10 PM
But the easiest thing to do is to blame the franchise QB! Nevermind the owner that wants a return to the stone age, or the egomaniac OC that doesn't want to use the no-huddle until he has to, or the cap-crippling, washed-up defense! IT'S ALL BEN'S FAULT! :chuckle:

As for Whiz, no way in hell he returns to Pittsburgh. Supposedly there's some bad blood between him and the Rooneys.

I will give Whisenhunt credit for the 2005 playoffs - he called BRILLIANT games against the Colts (1st half, anyway) and Broncos in particular. I blame Cowher for reverting back to turtleball mode in the second half against the Colts (which let them right back in the game) and SB XL.

Shoes
12-02-2013, 01:11 PM
New Video Angle Shows Mike Tomlin Incident, League Considers Punishment

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The NFL is reviewing whether Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin tried to interfere with a kick return in Baltimore.

The play is being discussed among Steelers fans across Pittsburgh and the entire country.

KDKA has another angle of the play shot exclusively by a KDKA-TV photographer.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02/new-video-angle-shows-mike-tomlin-incident-league-considers-punishment/

Seems to me he knew exactly what he was doing. Coach of the year! :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
12-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Personally, if it is true that Tomlin's actions were intentional, he deserves whatever he gets. I wouldn't be opposed to any actions handed down, including a suspension.

fansince'76
12-02-2013, 01:31 PM
I dunno, I think Allen had a good angle and would have caught him anyway.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/824602908.gif?1385695702

stillers4me
12-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Mike Tomlin has not done one thing in 7 years to make me believe that he would do something like this intentionally.

ALLD
12-02-2013, 02:59 PM
He did it and deserves a fine not exceeding $25k. Rumors about costing the Steelers a draft pick would be overkill and punitive to innocent players and owners.

X-Terminator
12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Sure looks intentional to me from the KDKA shot. And I still love it.

Flame away, peeps. But my opinion hasn't changed. If he gets anything more than a fine, it's complete horseshit and I would definitely complain to the league if I'm him and the Steelers.

zulater
12-02-2013, 03:54 PM
It would determine a lot more if you showed where Tomlin was standing on the Steelers other kickoffs particularly one's into that endzone. If I was the league that's where I'd be looking.

MrPgh
12-02-2013, 04:14 PM

Flame away, peeps. But my opinion hasn't changed. If he gets anything more than a fine, it's complete horseshit and I would definitely complain to the league if I'm him and the Steelers.

I wonder if the organization is actually ashamed of this...

Dwinsgames
12-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I wonder if the organization is actually ashamed of this...

I would think ...

I know I am

steelerdiva
12-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Ya know what?? All day on ESPN and sports radio today they were re-hashing this ad nauseum! I am sick of it. Again, I don't think it was intentional. You don't agree...fine! I am sure MT wants this over with. Yo, Rog! Just give him the fine and let's all go with our lives! Really! (Rant over)

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Ya know what?? All day on ESPN and sports radio today they were re-hashing this ad nauseum! I am sick of it. Again, I don't think it was intentional. You don't agree...fine! I am sure MT wants this over with. Yo, Rog! Just give him the fine and let's all go with our lives! Really! (Rant over)

It's total horseshit how much this is getting played up. He didn't even interfere with the damn play! I knew that this was going to happen and it's the main reason why I hate it. It just gives everyone a reason to say that the Steelers are "cheaters" and all the other ridiculous things that are being said.

GoSlash27
12-02-2013, 07:15 PM

What about the KDKA shot makes it look intentional? Looks completely accidental to me. :noidea:

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2013, 07:20 PM
What about the KDKA shot makes it look intentional? Looks completely accidental to me. :noidea:

As I've said in other threads, the big shit eating grin on Tomlin's face afterward is what makes it look intentional to me.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I dunno, I think Allen had a good angle and would have caught him anyway.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/824602908.gif?1385695702

the little extra leg slide onto the field of play as he was " getting out of the way " and the enormous shit eating grin on his face " the oh yea I gotcha grin " immediately afterwards tell the whole story in my mind anyways

MrPgh
12-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't want to see draft picks taken away, but I'd be fine if Tomlin were suspended.

Bluecoat96
12-02-2013, 07:38 PM
the little extra leg slide onto the field of play as he was " getting out of the way " and the enormous shit eating grin on his face " the oh yea I gotcha grin " immediately afterwards tell the whole story in my mind anyways

Personally, I think it was intentional, but I think the shit-eating grin was more from the Ravens' fans booing him because of the replay.

tube517
12-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Whatever. This is way overblown. I'm more mad at him for this season and the unprepared "outfit" in this whole "rodeo".

I still like him as coach but the team has been in a tailspin since the middle of last season.

If they fine him, I'm ok with that. If GoodHell wants to take draft picks, kiss my ass.

GoSlash27
12-02-2013, 08:24 PM
As I've said in other threads, the big shit eating grin on Tomlin's face afterward is what makes it look intentional to me.

That's not in the KDKA shot. That's why I asked X.

X-Terminator
12-02-2013, 08:24 PM
It's total horseshit how much this is getting played up. He didn't even interfere with the damn play! I knew that this was going to happen and it's the main reason why I hate it. It just gives everyone a reason to say that the Steelers are "cheaters" and all the other ridiculous things that are being said.

Who gives a rat's ass what anyone else says or thinks? Why do Steelers fans, and fans in general, care so much about that? I say let 'em hate. Embrace it.

katmandu
12-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Here's a bit more telling information from another lead.

Watch Tomlin's left leg moving at the 00:10 mark and how far away Jacoby is. This shows Tomlin clearly moving "in-to-position" to stand on that particular spot.

I would still like to know what he was looking at and doing a few seconds BEFORE the 00:10 mark. Unfortunately, the video does not cut in until after that point.

Here it is.

vader29
12-02-2013, 09:07 PM

GoSlash27
12-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Here's a bit more telling information from another lead.

Watch Tomlin's left leg moving at the 00:10 mark and how far away Jacoby is. This shows Tomlin clearly moving "in-to-position" to stand on that particular spot.

I would still like to know what he was looking at and doing a few seconds BEFORE the 00:10 mark. Unfortunately, the video does not cut in until after that point.

Here it is.

I don't buy it. The average human impulse response is 2 seconds. No way he could plan out "Oh, here he comes. I'll jab my foot out and jump away....NOW!" in such a small time frame unless he's moonlighting for the freakin' Justice League.
It was an accident.
Yeah, he shouldn't have been there. He deserves a fine for that reason alone. But "Intentional"? I just don't see it. *Especially* looking at the KDKA footage in real time.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Who gives a rat's ass what anyone else says or thinks? Why do Steelers fans, and fans in general, care so much about that? I say let 'em hate. Embrace it.

Why don't you ask the Rooney's if they care about the image of their team?

Count Steeler
12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
What about the 2 refs that run right by him? The first one even runs around him. No flag, no issue made from them.

zulater
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM

So we're saying Rappaport just made shit up? No way! :sarcasm:

vader29
12-02-2013, 09:25 PM
So we're saying Rappaport just made shit up? No way! :sarcasm:
Ian Makeupareport.

steelerdiva
12-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Ian Makeupareport.

Hehehe....saw what you did there.

X-Terminator
12-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Why don't you ask the Rooney's if they care about the image of their team?

Last time I checked, neither your or my last name is Rooney. Of COURSE they care about the image of their team. We are just fans, and IMO we should stop caring so much what other fans or people think. You think Cheats fans give a damn about what anyone thinks of their team?

zulater
12-03-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm not convinced of his intentions either way. On one hand it sure looks bad. On the other hand how's he going to know the play is going to come to that exact spot? And if this was intentional I wish he would have been a little closer to midfield or on their side of it! Think about it, the chances that the returner isn't going to break to the middle at some point, that Tomlin already knows he's by Suisham, and or that Suisham will influence him to the sideline for the duration of the run when he picks his spot? I mean here's a guy most of you don't even think can figure out what plays to challenge in 45 seconds, and now many of the same people are saying he can be so calculating that he knows the exact right spot to plant himself at in the process of the first 1.5 seconds of an active play?

The worst part though is that Tomlin should have given a sincere and contrite apology immediately after the game. Intentional or not a coach doesn't belong on the field where they can potentially influence a play.( by the way if he did , it was only by the matter of a yard or two, Allen had the angle and was going to catch him) His attitude afterwards came off as smug, arrogant, and unapologetic. He should have apologized specifically to Jones, the Ravens, and the league as a whole.

Regardless, whatever they're going to do, just do it today, so we can start to get this shit behind us.

86WARD
12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
“If anybody thinks I or anybody else would do this on purpose, they are crazy,” Tomlin told Glazer.

I must be coo coo for Cocoa Puffs!!

zulater
12-03-2013, 11:05 AM
addressing now

zulater
12-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Tomlin explains it well during his press conference. I believe him when he says it was unintentional. Hopefully the league did so too when they talked to him yesterday. If you believe him the punishment should be no more than a 50k fine to Tomlin alone.

NCSteeler
12-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm not convinced of his intentions either way. On one hand it sure looks bad. On the other hand how's he going to know the play is going to come to that exact spot? And if this was intentional I wish he would have been a little closer to midfield or on their side of it! Think about it, the chances that the returner isn't going to break to the middle at some point, that Tomlin already knows he's by Suisham, and or that Suisham will influence him to the sideline for the duration of the run when he picks his spot? I mean here's a guy most of you don't even think can figure out what plays to challenge in 45 seconds, and now many of the same people are saying he can be so calculating that he knows the exact right spot to plant himself at in the process of the first 1.5 seconds of an active play?

The worst part though is that Tomlin should have given a sincere and contrite apology immediately after the game. Intentional or not a coach doesn't belong on the field where they can potentially influence a play.( by the way if he did , it was only by the matter of a yard or two, Allen had the angle and was going to catch him) His attitude afterwards came off as smug, arrogant, and unapologetic. He should have apologized specifically to Jones, the Ravens, and the league as a whole.

Regardless, whatever they're going to do, just do it today, so we can start to get this shit behind us.

SWEET!

I think the slide step towards the field was actually to get out of the refs way, but I'm 100% with you ,he should have made a clear sincere apology at post game and ended it.

tube517
12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Objects in the rear may be closer than they appear. Don't you all read the mirrors? :chuckle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

bayz101
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
In the KDKA footage you could clearly see the refs running to his left behind him, so he moves closer to the sideline. From there he notices his placement and quickly moves back to the left.

zulater
12-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin reiterated today that his sideline incident in Baltimore on Thanksgiving night was not intentional, but acknowledged his actions were, among other things, “an inexcusable blunder.”
Tomlin, though, said he has been shocked that people have suggested he stepped on the field intentionally because he said he would never do anything to compromise the integrity of the game.
“My actions are a lot of things – embarrassing, inexcusable, illegal, a blunder….I take full responsibility for my actions on that play,” Tomlin said during his weekly news conference. “I acknowledge my actions became part of the play. I also embrace as head coaches we are held to highest levels of conduct and with that blunder I feel woefully short.”
Tomlin’s right foot was partially on the field when the Ravens’ Jacoby Jones returned a kickoff 73 yards in the third quarter, causing Jones to slightly alter his step before being tackled by cornerback Cortez Allen.
Tomlin had his back to the play and was watching the return unfold on the giant replay board at M&T Bank Stadium when he said he lost his place in the white sideline box.
No penalty was called on the play and the Ravens converted the return into a field goal in a 22-20 victory.
Tomlin, though, said he expects to be fined for what happened. He also said he spoke to Commissioner Roger Goddell about the incident on Monday.
“I understand there are repercussions of a blunder of that nature,” Tomlin said. “I also understand comes the charge of preserving and protecting the integrity of the game in football. My biggest error was not realizing that play jeopardized the integrity of game from a perception standpoint.
“At no point did I realize my actions could have been viewed as intentional and that’s a mistake on my part. I should have realized the potential and acted accordingly.”
Tomlin was adamant he would never do anything to compromise the integrity of the game and appeared bothered that someone would suggest he did.
“It’s been shocking to me my actions have been perceived in anyway as intentional,” Tomlin said. “I have no desire, let me be clear, to defend my character and things of that nature. I’ve become comfortable that you get judged a certain way and live a public life-style.
“The winning of any game is not important enough to jeopardize that. Anyone who knows me knows that. I would never do such a thing and would never consider such a thing.”

http://sulia.com/gerrydulac/f/7b5847e2-e3f0-48e4-b02c-c48e004b5653/?source=twitter&guid=7b5847e2-e3f0-48e4-b02c-c48e004b5653

Dwinsgames
12-03-2013, 09:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/the-shek-report/0ap2000000292482/The-Shek-Report-Week-13

Seven
12-04-2013, 05:27 AM
I really don't know if it was intentional or not at this point. My initial reaction was it was on purpose, but honestly Tomlin's explanation makes a lot of sense. He very well may have seen the ref coming up behind him on the Jumbotron and attempted to get out of his way, not realizing he was inadvertently entering the field of play. I still lean towards his position on the sideline being intentional, but I can buy the explanation enough I'm not 100% certain.

If it was intentional, I don't like it. If it was a mistake, I don't care. Either way I have a complete "whatever" attitude about it at this point. Who cares? Outcome of the game wasn't altered, Tomlin might get docked some cash but he can handle it. I think it's time to move on. No way will the league take away any draft picks.

So let's move on to Miami.

SteelerFanInStl
12-04-2013, 07:52 AM
I agree. I'm fine with his statement. Time to move on.

zulater
12-04-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24322467/video-shows-tomlin-before-kickoff-coach-takes-blame-for-actions

As Shaun Suisham makes his run up to the football for the kickoff, you can see Tomlin on the right side of the screen near the 50-yard line. His back is to the play, and he maneuvers himself around the official on his way to his final position straddling the white line and the field of play.

Unless Tomlin knew before the ball left Suisham's foot that Jones would be running down the left side of the field, it's hard to make the case that he deliberately tried to intervene.

Either way, the conspiracy theorists aren't easily dissuaded and Tomlin will be punished, something he fully accepts.

steeldawg
12-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Ya exactly because where he was he would of had to be before the play started.

bayz101
12-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Tomlin fined $100,000 per ESPN. A draft pick adjustment/modification once final order is set is being considered.

zulater
12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Tomlin fined $100,000 per ESPN. A draft pick adjustment/modification once final order is set is being considered.

What the fuck does that mean?

To me thzt comes across as if they're going to drop our pick in the first round. Fucking assholes! :frusty:

Paluma0268
12-04-2013, 10:41 AM
UGH we NEED that pick!:pin:

SteelerFanInStl
12-04-2013, 11:34 AM
If the NFL decides to take a draft pick away for this incident, that could very well be the last straw for me and the NFL. I've had enough of the BS from Goodell and the rest of his cronies. I'll spend my time doing something other than watching the crap that they're turning the NFL into.

86WARD
12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
If they take the first round pick away for that, that's complete bullshit.

Mistah Q
12-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I think 100k fine is probably at the upper limit of what an acceptable response would be... a little much IMO but I'll move on. No way they should take a draft pick too.

If I'm the Rooneys I have to be furious, both with the league, and with Tomlin for the way he handled this (which might factor in to the league's response?) Whether intentional or not he should have came right out and said "I shouldn't have been in the field of play, I need to make sure I'm more aware of where I am in relation to the field, I apologize". I'm not sure any of his statements actually have constituted an apology as of yet.

tube517
12-04-2013, 12:44 PM
In all seriousness (and just my gut feeling), I think (my opinion, not anyone else's that I know) the NFL/Der Kommisar is waiting for the Steelers to do some type of punishment on their own. (1 game suspension, maybe?) Not that I condone a suspension but just the way this is all playing out, don't be surprised.

As far as draft picks, We are talking about Roger GoodHell here. The statement from the NFL should have been a final say, not oh wait, we have to see how the draft picks play out so we'll get back to you. I'm very close to not watching the NFL, even the Steelers, anymore. Netflix and Redbox already get alot of my business on Sundays.

MrPgh
12-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I think 100k fine is probably at the upper limit of what an acceptable response would be... a little much IMO but I'll move on. No way they should take a draft pick too.

If I'm the Rooneys I have to be furious, both with the league, and with Tomlin for the way he handled this (which might factor in to the league's response?) Whether intentional or not he should have came right out and said "I shouldn't have been in the field of play, I need to make sure I'm more aware of where I am in relation to the field, I apologize". I'm not sure any of his statements actually have constituted an apology as of yet.

Considering it's Tomlin, you can't expect that. Winning a Super Bowl in his second season as head coach has made him arrogant and made him lose his humility. And since the Steelers rarely fire head coaches, Tomlin has no job security issues to worry about.

Hawkman
12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I agree. I'm fine with his statement. Time to move on.

PLEASE!!!

zulater
12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
PLEASE!!!

How do you move on when you don't even know the liability that's been incurred?

In fact that's one of the reasons the league is being stupid. You would think this would be something they would want to put behind themselves as well as the Steelers. Well until you identify what specifically is the responsibility and punishment this just hangs there like a festering rotting carcass. Even if your take away a Steeler choice, label it and then it's shelved after a day or so, at least until the draft.

vader29
12-04-2013, 02:22 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/2d9skdt.gif

Boh
12-04-2013, 02:41 PM
media sure took off with this one.

fansince'76
12-04-2013, 03:30 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/2d9skdt.gif

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

EDIT: I should've known Benstonium was behind this!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152179847605809

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

smokin3000gt
12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I know there are Tomlin haters out there, but I am truly surprised how few people are giving Tomlin the benefit of the doubt here.

cold-hard-steel
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I stated in perhaps another thread , But in the mind of Tomlin , look at that smirking smile after the incident happened . Like it , or love it , i hate it . But that look on Tomlins face was priceless.

X-Terminator
12-04-2013, 04:39 PM
media sure took off with this one.

You seem surprised by that. You shouldn't be. It's what the media does, especially when the Steelers are involved. It's why I watch NO national sports media whatsoever.

Hawkman
12-04-2013, 04:42 PM
How do you move on when you don't even know the liability that's been incurred?

In fact that's one of the reasons the league is being stupid. You would think this would be something they would want to put behind themselves as well as the Steelers. Well until you identify what specifically is the responsibility and punishment this just hangs there like a festering rotting carcass. Even if your take away a Steeler choice, label it and then it's shelved after a day or so, at least until the draft.

I agree with that, I was referring to the statement which I think was referring to all the media attention.

vader29
12-04-2013, 04:45 PM
EDIT: I should've known Benstonium was behind this!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152179847605809

Yeah that's what I made the gif from since I couldn't embed that video here, usually they also upload their videos to youtube but didn't with this one.

cold-hard-steel
12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Aye all ,Tomlin stepped up to the plate . He made it easier to sit , due to his not so fat wallet . It was quite an event to witness , I should play "branded man" by the Hagg ! Not too many will let this shit die . Now he's a branded man out in the cold .

Spike
12-04-2013, 05:33 PM
What the fuck does that mean?

Tomlin's arrogance just screwed us out of draft picks

The more I think about it, the more I think Tomlin is an embarassment to the uniform.

Kick his ass out.

and take the stink of losing Haley with him

stillers4me
12-04-2013, 05:54 PM

Bluecoat96
12-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I thought it was kinda funny that even on the NFLN, the commentators, to a man (and woman) were like WTF is the league thinking?!?

MrPgh
12-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I know there are Tomlin haters out there, but I am truly surprised how few people are giving Tomlin the benefit of the doubt here.

Two things to consider. 1) The smirk, and 2) he comes off as arrogant in his press conferences. While that may have nothing to do with this incident, it isn't going to help him get anyone in his corner on this.

zulater
12-04-2013, 07:05 PM

I can't see how they wouldn't be.

Shoes
12-04-2013, 07:07 PM
There is no way the NFL takes a draft pick.

Mistah Q
12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
The only positive thing about them taking a draft pick is the backlash it will cause for Goodell

MrPgh
12-04-2013, 07:45 PM
The only positive thing about them taking a draft pick is the backlash it will cause for Goodell

Actually the opposite might be true. If the NFL talks tough now threatening to take a draft pick, but ends up not taking a Steeler draft pick at all, that could make Goodell appear weak.

X-Terminator
12-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Since when did Goodell give a shit about a lack of precedent?

SteelerFanInStl
12-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Very true. It's never stopped him before. He immediately suspended Ben for 6 games with Ben not even having a single charge filed against him yet Aldon Smith of the Niners has gotten charged with all kinds of shit and has yet to be suspended even one game.

Dwinsgames
12-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Very true. It's never stopped him before. He immediately suspended Ben for 6 games with Ben not even having a single charge filed against him yet Aldon Smith of the Niners has gotten charged with all kinds of shit and has yet to be suspended even one game.

proving there is no rhyme or reason behind his " justice system " and certainly no common sense involved ......

Spike
12-04-2013, 08:57 PM
backlash

The Steelers had been 1-5 on Thanksgiving games.

They haven't won since 1950...., you'd think the Rooneys would know this....it's an Irish curse or something

steelerdiva
12-04-2013, 09:09 PM

True dat.

NCSteeler
12-04-2013, 09:22 PM
I thought it was kinda funny that even on the NFLN, the commentators, to a man (and woman) were like WTF is the league thinking?!?

Now that says something, they rarely protest against league decisions.

smokin3000gt
12-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Tomlin's arrogance just screwed us out of draft picks

The more I think about it, the more I think Tomlin is an embarassment to the uniform.

Kick his ass out.

and take the stink of losing Haley with him

:doh:

Spike
12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac #Steelers very upset w NFL's threat of draft choices in Mike Tomlin penalty, saying "there is no precedent for it," per team source

this means war!

steelreserve
12-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah, that's really smart. The coach does something that may or may not have affected the outcome of a play ... which didn't affect the result of the game ... and didn't affect the standings ... so they consider taking a draft pick. BRILLIANT. As far as I'm concerned, that's the coach's problem and nobody else's. Draft picks are for things like severe cheating or free-agent tampering that actually affects the competitive balance.

That "wait and see" statement really worries me. The way I read it is, they're going to go ahead and do it; they just need some time to do lawyering for both the justification and see what they can get away with. Hopefully they were just testing the media reaction to see if they said "Atta boy! Bold move, get tough! Blah blah blah! Clean up the image! Player safety! Blah blah blah!" or told them they were full of shit. Which thankfully seems to be what's happening.

zulater
12-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Kovacevic: Got proof on Tomlin? Let's hear it

This was going to be the day the subject would change for the Steelers.
On this end, anyway.
I was ready, too. Had column ideas all laid out regarding the return of Mike Wallace, the helmet hit on Le'Veon Bell and the playoff picture. Or I could have taken to heart Ben Roethlisberger's suggestion to a pack of reporters Wednesday: “Let's talk about football. Let's talk about that Miami defense.”
Sorry, nope. Not there. Not yet, anyway.
It just felt silly, almost superficial, to try to move past the Mike Tomlin sideline scandal until I'd put real thought and real words behind this one simple yet sensational question: Do people really believe that the head coach of this city's NFL franchise is a cheater and a liar?
Let's not mince words here anymore, OK?
If you believe Tomlin deliberately interfered with Jacoby Jones' now infamous kickoff return in Baltimore, if you believe he intended to affect the outcome of the game, then you believe he's a cheater.
And by virtue of his defense since then, you also believe he's a liar.
A cheater and a liar.
Don't hedge. Don't hem and haw. Don't parse over this angle or that angle only to duck out from the real point you're making if you believe he acted deliberately: You're calling him a cheater and a liar.
So fine. Call him that.
But if you do, you'd better be calling for his firing, too. Because if Tomlin were proven to be a cheater and a liar, that's precisely what he would deserve. Not just that $100,000 fine the NFL levied Wednesday. Not a suspension. Not even the still-lingering possible loss of draft picks. Plain and simple, he would deserve to be tossed out by the Rooneys without so much as a see-ya.
Funny, I'm not hearing calls for Tomlin's firing, are you?
Could it be because, among all the evidence in play, nothing points to his guilt that's even remotely conclusive?
Oh, sure, you can think that maybe he acted with intent, that possibly there's a motion or two he made that could be damning.
But you don't know. I don't know. Only Tomlin can.
At the same time, here are three points that are emphatically and demonstrably known:
• Nothing in the videos conclusively shows intent.
This isn't like that New York Jets assistant jutting out his leg a couple years ago. There's no smoking gun, and only an irrational observer would suggest otherwise. I'll admit I wavered at the first sighting of KDKA's angle, based on a split-second of Tomlin's body language shifting to the right. But neither that nor anything can be called conclusive.
Read anything in that NFL news release Wednesday about intent?
Me neither.
Can you imagine the league's penalty if it had been confident of — or even strongly suspected — intent?
• Nothing in Tomlin's words has been conclusively contradicted, including by the NFL.
He told us that his approach to watch Jones' return was the same he takes with every kickoff, and there's overwhelming video evidence to support it. He also told us he was startled upon seeing himself on the JumboTron, and the timing on the video supports it. Same goes for all his other statements. There's been no gotcha.
• Nothing in Tomlin's history, professional or otherwise, s uggest s anything close to the character fla w involv ed with a charge of scope.
This too is indisputable. There's no history of cheating or even a cheating accusation.
Has he been caught in lies or deception related to gamesmanship or keeping secrets from opponents?
Sure, as has just about every other coach or manager in the history of organized sport. But there's been nothing significant outside that realm.
Look, I have a lot of problems with Tomlin.
I think he has become too passive with his veterans.
I think he had the Steelers inexcusably unprepared to open this season.
I think he's stuck in his ways to the dramatic extent that he would fly his team to London so late in the week that they barely had time for tea before kickoff.
I think he has become aloof and arrogant and, to be totally candid, not terribly likable.
I also think he came across as an epic phony in that Tuesday news conference, flicking on the charm when it suited his needs.
But a cheater and a liar?
You had better come with a whole lot more than incomplete conjecture or casual dislike when assailing a man's character.
If not, let's talk about that Miami defense.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5192105-74/tomlin-believe-cheater#ixzz2mZjxAhLm
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

fansince'76
12-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Proof? Since when does proof matter in Goodell's kangaroo court? The only thing that matters in Goodell's world is how the sports media has hung onto this like a rabid fucking dog for the last week. And now it's going to be made to hang over the team for the rest of the season until the final draft order is decided.:coffee:

zulater
12-04-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm satisfied that Tomlin had no intent to disrupt the play. He had no way of knowing where the play was going. He clearly established his position long before there was any sense that Jones was going to break the kick. He made a mistake.He deserves to be punished for putting himself in a position that may have affected a play on the field. But I don't believe him to be either a cheater or a liar and I see no evidence to indicate I'm wrong.

fansince'76
12-04-2013, 11:40 PM
There is no way the NFL takes a draft pick.

I disagree. Goodell has been disproportionately going overboard with "discipline" ever since the (rightful) criticism he received for his Spygate whitewash. Also factor in the Steelers being the only team to vote against his precious CBA, and Steelers players being among the few in the league to repeatedly call Goodell out on his bullshit and actually having the balls to own their comments (as opposed to a "nameless NFL player (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/11/nfl-player-says-deal-is-not-close-tells-roger-goodell-to-drop-his-nuts/)"), and, well...

Dwinsgames
12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
if protecting the shield was Asshat Goodells primary concern he would want this over and done with , he would want the media to STFU about it ... he is not doing what is necessary for this to happen in fact he is doing the opposite ...

letting this linger over until draft time for then to have potentially more action vs the steelers only reminds people ( with the media's help ) of this issue ... talking heads will be hashing over the draft for a couple months and they will be then showing the clip when the steelers come into the conversation to re-stain the shield yet again and refreshing peoples memory of this incident all over again ....

what part of protecting the shield does he fail to understand ? hint all of it

steelreserve
12-05-2013, 10:49 AM
what part of protecting the shield does he fail to understand ? hint all of it

With pretty much every incident since ESPN Concussion Sunday, Goodell's strategy with every media story of the week is to act tough by making some drastic unprecedented move to show that he cares, and that draws even more attention than the original story. He plays right into their hands every time. Either he just likes seeing his name in the news, or he's button-mashing because he doesn't understand how this little minigame works.

It might be the way you'd run a company if you were a cartoonishly stereotypical paranoid lawyer, and keeping up appearances to cover your ass was priority #1, 2 and 3. But it wouldn't be an effective way to run it, and you wouldn't be in business for long. It's certainly no way to run a major sports league.

Shoes
12-05-2013, 02:32 PM
I disagree. Goodell has been disproportionately going overboard with "discipline" ever since the (rightful) criticism he received for his Spygate whitewash. Also factor in the Steelers being the only team to vote against his precious CBA, and Steelers players being among the few in the league to repeatedly call Goodell out on his bullshit and actually having the balls to own their comments (as opposed to a "nameless NFL player (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/11/nfl-player-says-deal-is-not-close-tells-roger-goodell-to-drop-his-nuts/)"), and, well...

Well if this numbskull does cheat us out of a draft pick the, Rooneys better grow some in a hurry and make some waves. Hopefully they have already made a phone call. I honestly don't think it will happen tho.

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2013, 08:15 PM
They explained a bit about what the NFL was waiting for on Mike & Mike yesterday morning. Basically what the NFL is waiting to see is if the points difference affects the Ravens for the playoffs, meaning would it have made a difference if they had scored 4 more points than what they currently have, since points is a tie breaker. If that's all that they're doing, I'm not worrying about losing a draft pick.

Hawkman
12-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Mike Tomlin accepted his $100,000 fine Wednesday with equanimity, but the Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly were not happy behind the scenes about possibly losing a draft pick because of the ordeal.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette credits a team source who was "very upset" about the threat of losing a draft pick.

"There is no precedent for that," the source told the paper.

Well, the Steelers' sources can relax. It sounds very unlikely that the team will have to forfeit a selection.

"It is no certainty" the Steelers will lose a draft pick, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted Wednesday on "NFL Total Access." Rapoport said he was told to keep an eye on "unforeseen ramifications" of Tomlin's act.

"For instance, Tomlin essentially robbed the Ravens of four points. Points are used in a tiebreaker. Does that matter?" Rapoport said on NFL Network.

The odds on the point-differential tiebreaker being used to determine a playoff seed are infinitesimal. It's the sixth tiebreaker used and almost never comes up.

The Post-Gazette also reports that the league is not closing the book on potential draft-pick punishments because of those four points. That's it.

In short: It sounds like punishment will begin and end with Tomlin's fine, barring those tricky "unforeseen ramifications."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000293006/article/report-pittsburgh-steelers-likely-not-losing-draft-pick

Hawkman
12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
I love me a good Ryan Clark interview. "Sir Roger" and...."he gets to do what he wants to do"......"that's our fault"

(lower right box video)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000293006/article/report-pittsburgh-steelers-likely-not-losing-draft-pick

GBMelBlount
12-05-2013, 11:00 PM

LOL!

slippy
12-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I've been listening to Mike Francesa here in New York for 24 years (WFAN and YES network); he's probably the best radio sports guy, and he's very well connected (Bill Parcells, Wellington Mara, Jimmy The Greek).

Francesa's answer to some irate Steeler callers earlier this week was "Goodell is Rooney's guy, the guy the Rooney's wanted as comish".

I have no inside info myself, and I was a bit stunned. I trust Francesa's intel, as it usually turns out to be true. Could it be that Goodell is a bit harder on Pittsburgh, because he is the Rooney's guy, to appear impartial to the rest of the owners?

steel striker
12-06-2013, 02:40 PM
When has worthless Roger Goodell ever been fair or reasonable? This whole Tomlin sideline thing has been blown way out of control and, last time I checked the freaking rats still won the game. Still people are complaining about it and, making it sound like Tomlin actually made the tackle himself. It's like people can't move on and, sure it was a blunder no doubt. This unreal fines and, misuse of power by worthless Roger is the reason why the Steelers voted against the CBA. Like Troy said you can't have one guy be the Jury, Judge, and Executioner.

steelreserve
12-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Mike Tomlin accepted his $100,000 fine Wednesday with equanimity, but the Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly were not happy behind the scenes about possibly losing a draft pick because of the ordeal.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette credits a team source who was "very upset" about the threat of losing a draft pick.

"There is no precedent for that," the source told the paper.

Well, the Steelers' sources can relax. It sounds very unlikely that the team will have to forfeit a selection.

"It is no certainty" the Steelers will lose a draft pick, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted Wednesday on "NFL Total Access." Rapoport said he was told to keep an eye on "unforeseen ramifications" of Tomlin's act.

"For instance, Tomlin essentially robbed the Ravens of four points. Points are used in a tiebreaker. Does that matter?" Rapoport said on NFL Network.

The odds on the point-differential tiebreaker being used to determine a playoff seed are infinitesimal. It's the sixth tiebreaker used and almost never comes up.

The Post-Gazette also reports that the league is not closing the book on potential draft-pick punishments because of those four points. That's it.

In short: It sounds like punishment will begin and end with Tomlin's fine, barring those tricky "unforeseen ramifications."

If those four points cost the Ravens a playoff spot, won't they end up with a BETTER draft pick? See, there's no problem here. :chuckle:

tube517
12-06-2013, 08:38 PM

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1464703_10202774570713618_702637616_n.jpg