PDA

View Full Version : This team has no "clutch" in them

XxKnightxX
11-28-2013, 11:03 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I haven't seen this team he clutch since the Super Bowl loss. This team can win all the games in the world, rack up all the stats and sacks , but when it counts the most , that third down, that 3rd and short , that 2 point conversion , that play to keep momentum on our side , I don't see it. I really don't. Not that I'm expecting it all the time , but I guess there's no confidence in this squad , and I think the guys in the team look around for that one to do it. And just end up fucking up even more.

We won't win another division, or any other big game until we learn to execute on that. This team needs to practice more situational football. Especially on defense.

That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Devilsdancefloor
11-28-2013, 11:17 PM
i really think there are a few key players who show up and play hard everytime, but then a few players who go through the motions

Seven
11-28-2013, 11:21 PM
I disagree. Ben put the ball where it needed to be in clutch moments. Sometimes it was caught, others it wasn't. But Ben is still clutch. The pieces around him? Miller, Brown and Cotchery come up in big moments albeit inconsistently. I struggle to find a clutch player on defense, but I don't think this team has "no" clutch performers.

SteelerCountry58
11-28-2013, 11:29 PM
I think the O could be clutch if Ben ran the show but instead we are forced
to watch the nauseating play calling of the nitwit named Todd Haley.
The D lacks pretty much squat of a pass rush and is typically a second short
of sacking the QB. Jones should be moved around more and a stud DE is sorely needed.
I love Keisel,I'd bring him back for another year but as a backup. A clutch DE terror
is needed on this team. Man, I miss Aaron Smith.

Hawkman
11-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Go back and watch the forth quarter of the Lions game!! REALLY!! No clutch players!!??

Mistah Q
11-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Ben is plenty clutch. In the first half he looked downright sluggish, I still don't think he's a good fit for a team that goes with high volume passing as a rule...

But in the second half he gave the team as many chances to get back into it as they could have wanted. Of course most of those chances were dropped by Manny...

It would be great if we could run the ball but we can't, especially now that we've lost 700 more linemen to injury. Even before that, running it up the middle was never really going to happen especially if they won't give it to Dwyer. This is almost comical.

And this is why I've had such an interest in trading Ben. Not because I don't think he's great... but because we have piss poor coaching that probably isn't going to change without a couple bad seasons... and he's in the late years of his prime now. He has maybe three years left tops and what I witnessed tonight told me that very few of our early season problems were actually fixed... I don't believe we can put a competitive team around him in those few years he has left. We might as well rip off the bandaid.

zulater
11-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Ben is plenty clutch. In the first half he looked downright sluggish, I still don't think he's a good fit for a team that goes with high volume passing as a rule...

But in the second half he gave the team as many chances to get back into it as they could have wanted. Of course most of those chances were dropped by Manny...

It would be great if we could run the ball but we can't, especially now that we've lost 700 more linemen to injury. Even before that, running it up the middle was never really going to happen especially if they won't give it to Dwyer. This is almost comical.

And this is why I've had such an interest in trading Ben. Not because I don't think he's great... but because we have piss poor coaching that probably isn't going to change without a couple bad seasons... and he's in the late years of his prime now. He has maybe three years left tops and what I witnessed tonight told me that very few of our early season problems were actually fixed... I don't believe we can put a competitive team around him in those few years he has left. We might as well rip off the bandaid.

It looks to me like Ben handled the volume just fine. Maybe if they hadn't tried to force feed the running game to start with and used the pass to set up the run they wouldn't have been blanked for a half?

Mistah Q
11-29-2013, 12:49 AM
It looks to me like Ben handled the volume just fine. Maybe if they hadn't tried to force feed the running game to start with and used the pass to set up the run they wouldn't have been blanked for a half?
It's difficult to figure out who to blame these running problems on. Art is basically mandating that we run the football... so we do it again and again to no avail. You would think we would realize by now, that

1) Don't run Bell right up the middle
2) Don't telegraph run, when you're going to do it so one-dimensionally
3) You can give Art his running game. Open the game up with dink-and-dunk, or passes to Miller, or even a couple hail marys, then you get a few running yards

They don't even have to realize all three, just pick one. We don't have the right kind of O-line to just come out and blatantly pound the rock. Kind of like how we have one of the better press CBs in the league (Ike) but we're playing Zone and getting shredded. Kind of like how Woodley is probably going to be handed back his position on a platter. One of my bigger complaints about Cowher was the country club mentality, but who can tell how much this team is suffering right now just because Tomlin doesn't like Dwyer...

wouldn't have been blanked for a half
Or maybe if they had some good coaching. Having a bad time with your job is one thing but Tomlin is downright childish sometimes. That move he pulled on the kick return, just embarrassing, and if the Steelers had managed to pull off the win I think the Ravens would have legitimate reason to be pissed.

zulater
11-29-2013, 05:02 AM
Roethlisberger completed 28 of 44 passes for 257 yards after a slow start in which the Steelers did not use much no-huddle offense in the first half.

Roethlisberger cited crowd noise as one reason, but, after successfully using the no-huddle in the second half, said:

“We did it late, maybe we should have done it earlier. Maybe I should have voiced that more. I will take that on myself as well.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/28/Steelers-Ravens-Thanksgiving-2013/stories/201311280235#ixzz2m202KqOR

I think part of the problem is the coaches don't want to cede control of the offense to Ben. Well they need to change that attitude in a hurry, because he's the best hope we have.

Steeldude
11-29-2013, 07:33 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I haven't seen this team he clutch since the Super Bowl loss. This team can win all the games in the world, rack up all the stats and sacks , but when it counts the most , that third down, that 3rd and short , that 2 point conversion , that play to keep momentum on our side , I don't see it. I really don't. Not that I'm expecting it all the time , but I guess there's no confidence in this squad , and I think the guys in the team look around for that one to do it. And just end up fucking up even more.

We won't win another division, or any other big game until we learn to execute on that. This team needs to practice more situational football. Especially on defense.

That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

That happens with school yard football. The offense has no consistency, no identity. Is anyone really confident when the Steelers are in the red zone? It's been that way for years.

ALLD
11-29-2013, 08:03 AM
The first half was 30 minutes of wasted opportunity. The D held the rat's average O to a reasonable number of points despite the mistakes, but the O continues to be our main problem. Doesn't matter how good a D can be if our O can't come out and score or threaten. The first 10 plays were more like a scrimmage rather than trying to win an NFL game.

vader29
11-29-2013, 09:21 AM
The first 10 plays were more like a scrimmage rather than trying to win an NFL game.

http://i44.tinypic.com/efgo5w.jpg

86WARD
11-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Ben was still pretty clutch last night...

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 10:43 AM
That happens with school yard football. The offense has no consistency, no identity. Is anyone really confident when the Steelers are in the red zone? It's been that way for years.

They scored all 3 of their TDs in the red zone last night, of course, after Ben was given more control of the offense. Why the coaches can't put 2 and 2 together is beyond my ability to comprehend.

stillers4me
11-30-2013, 08:17 AM
They scored all 3 of their TDs in the red zone last night, of course, after Ben was given more control of the offense. Why the coaches can't put 2 and 2 together is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Ding Ding Ding!!!

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

It's an ongoing theme with this coaching staff.

cold-hard-steel
11-30-2013, 12:49 PM
For sure it is about getting #7 into that lobby that you pass bye when you go to work .

XxKnightxX
12-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Yep. No Clutch gene. Cant finish.

st33lersguy
12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
No clutch is right, today's performance was pathetic. I feel sorry for Ben, no running game, no O-line, no defense, no special teams, he deserves better

ALLD
12-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Ben is going the way of an aging Joe Montana on a struggling KC Chiefs team. People go to watch him play, but know there is no hope for a championship with the current roster.

Edman
12-09-2013, 07:57 AM
No clutch is perfectly right. This team cannot finish games.

Offense in the Fourth Quarter? A Chance to put the game away? 3 and Out. Steelers leading 28-24. Offensive Line commits penalties. Ben misfires on 3rd Down, giving the Dolphins new life.

Need to get a final drive going? Ben suddenly can't hit a damn thing to save his life.

Defense in the Fourth quarter? Give up a score with terrible tackling to boot.

It's not a singular unit. It's not even Ben anymore. This team on a whole has terrible situational football, and this is why they lose. It's not about being great all the time, it's being great when you need to. This team is good some of the time but never great when they need to.

Antonio Brown stepping out of bounds is a microcosm of this whole team distilled into one single play. One single moment. This is a sloppy, losing team that just cannot get out of it's own way.

steeldawg
12-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Offense in the Fourth Quarter? A Chance to put the game away? 3 and Out. Steelers leading 28-24. Offensive Line commits penalties. Ben misfires on 3rd Down, giving the Dolphins new life.

Need to get a final drive going? Ben suddenly can't hit a damn thing to save his life.

It's not a singular unit. It's not even Ben anymore. This team on a whole has terrible situational football, and this is why they lose. It's not about being great all the time, it's being great when you need to. This team is good some of the time but never great when they need to.

Antonio Brown stepping out of bounds is a microcosm of this whole team distilled into one single play. One single moment. This is a sloppy, losing team that just cannot get out of it's own way.

Thank you,

Brown and sanders have had very strong seasons but have made some mistakes in big moments. Not suggesting we get rid of them, well maybe sanders. Brown is a keeper but that stepping out of bounds is a microcosm of this teams inability to take advantage of an opportunity in a big spot. Not taking anything from brown or his season he has been great.

Spike
12-09-2013, 09:58 AM
no running game

that's not true, Bell was running well in the first half until Haley stopped using him

tube517
12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Same feeling this year as the 2003 and 2006 seasons. Just didn't see the typical defense we are used to seeing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
12-09-2013, 10:51 AM

I'm sorry to start this here, but sloppy play and BAD situational football have both been Hallmarks of a Tomlin coached team. They have continually been under prepared on game day (not practicing against 4-3, not practicing in noise), have constantly seen terrible management on game day in critical situations. It comes home to roost on Tomlin . Should he be fired, probably not cause it could get worse, but something has to change