PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are far from dead!

zulater
11-28-2013, 10:41 PM
The Ravens have games left at the Lions, Bengals, and a home one against the Patriots. We win out, which we can do if our o- line recovers from this game, and we'll get the last Wild Card berth.

ALLD
11-28-2013, 10:42 PM
If I had a million dollars I would be a millionaire too. Really, neither team deserved to win tonight's game.

X-Terminator
11-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Don't think this one's going to work, Zu. Even though you are correct, of course.

Let the doom and gloom commence.

steeldawg
11-28-2013, 10:45 PM
They are not that far from dead.

zulater
11-28-2013, 10:46 PM
If I had a million dollars I would be a millionaire too. Really, neither team deserved to win tonight's game.

Bull. Take off the fan hat and that was a helluva game. Both team played well enough to win.

st33lersguy
11-28-2013, 10:47 PM
The Ravens have games left at the Lions, Bengals, and a home one against the Patriots. We win out, which we can do if our o- line recovers from this game, and we'll get the last Wild Card berth.

That's not gonna happen. No way in hell are we going to beat the Packers with Rodgers back and we probably won't even beat Cincy either. Put a nail in the coffin of this team. Every time this team puts themselves back into contention, they do everything they can to lose the next game

Devilsdancefloor
11-28-2013, 10:48 PM
i am trying to stay positive about this this years team is killing me there are certain players that bring it every game and others that just collect a check... i do realize as a fan i live or die with this team and it is just their job, but i am getting frustrated with a few people on this team

Seven
11-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Steelers have a better shot than the Ravens do, but that's not saying much.

zulater
11-28-2013, 10:49 PM
That's not gonna happen. No way in hell are we going to beat the Packers with Rodgers back and we probably won't even beat Cincy either. Put a nail in the coffin of this team. Every time this team puts themselves back into contention, they do everything they can to lose the next game

The Packers might be dead in the water when we play them. And they're not great anyway. They can be had, their defense and offensive line stinks with or without Rodgers.

We're playing good football. The schedule screwed us much as anything. I think the bad start had a lot to do with the short week.

Seven
11-28-2013, 10:52 PM
The Packers aren't much to deal with. We should win every game with the exception of Cincinnati. If we play like we are now though, I'd call that a push. I don't think it's unrealistic at all to say we could make the postseason, but it's a long road ahead and not likely.

Godfather
11-28-2013, 11:00 PM
I think we're way behind the curve at this point. Tonight was a must win.

Now we're two games behind the Titans for the last spot. We're a game behind the Ravens and would go very deep into the tiebreakers if it came to that. There are also too many other teams in the 5-6 logjam going into this weekend. Some will win and move ahead of us.

st33lersguy
11-28-2013, 11:02 PM
The Packers aren't much to deal with. We should win every game with the exception of Cincinnati. If we play like we are now though, I'd call that a push. I don't think it's unrealistic at all to say we could make the postseason, but it's a long road ahead and not likely.

They are a much better team with Rodgers who will be back by then and will certainly torch over-the-hill Ike Taylor. When you go from Rodgers to Tolzein/ Matt Flynn, of course you are going to be so much worse in this QB driven league. Let's not forget that before the Rodger's injury, they were 5-2, the run-away favorites to win the NFC North, and contenders in the NFC. No way this is a loss, as is Cinci. 7-9 is this team's ceiling

steel9guy
11-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Honestly I think this game was more important for baltimore but it's an inexcusable loss on our end. However I do think we are in a better position. Do we have a tiebreaker with baltimore if it comes to that?

HollywoodSteel
11-28-2013, 11:04 PM

Yes, but we should have won this game too. We have the offense to put up at least 30 points against every team we face, yet we refuse to utilize our talent until it's too late for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Bull. Take off the fan hat and that was a helluva game. Both team played well enough to win.

I agree with you there. The first half was pathetic, but that second half was some riveting football.

steeldawg
11-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Honestly I think this game was more important for baltimore but it's an inexcusable loss on our end. However I do think we are in a better position. Do we have a tiebreaker with baltimore if it comes to that?

How are we in a better position?

steel9guy
11-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Ravens are not winning more than 2 of their last 4 games. We can win 3 of our last 4 in my opinion.

X-Terminator
11-28-2013, 11:06 PM
They are a much better team with Rodgers who will be back by then and will certainly torch over-the-hill Ike Taylor. When you go from Rodgers to Tolzein/ Matt Flynn, of course you are going to be so much worse in this QB driven league. Let's not forget that before the Rodger's injury, they were 5-2, the run-away favorites to win the NFC North, and contenders in the NFC. No way this is a loss, as is Cinci. 7-9 is this team's ceiling

Trust me when I tell you, the Packers won't be any better with Rodgers than they are now. Did you happen to watch the game vs. the Lions today? They are HORRID on defense, and their offensive line may as well be a bunch of turnstiles. Rodgers will only help them score a few more points, but if they don't get better on defense, they are sunk.

zulater
11-28-2013, 11:08 PM
One game at a time, beat Miami in our next game, and take it to the next week. The team's playing good football now. Just a damn shame we took 8 games to figure it out this year.

JayC
11-28-2013, 11:09 PM
no point in even considering it at this point for me. tonight was it. but, if they make it to week 17 and have a chance ill jump back but id be shocked if they end up being alive still by then. i won't be thinking playoffs until that happens which is unlikely.

but hey, i was shocked they made tonight's game something meaningful after the 0-4 start so i guess it could happen..

zulater
11-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Trust me when I tell you, the Packers won't be any better with Rodgers than they are now. Did you happen to watch the game vs. the Lions today? They are HORRID on defense, and their offensive line may as well be a bunch of turnstiles. Rodgers will only help them score a few more points, but if they don't get better on defense, they are sunk.

As bad that line is if they lose a couple more they may create an excuse to shut down Rodgers for the remainder of the season so he doesn't get permanently disabled.

steel9guy
11-28-2013, 11:11 PM
We lose 4, win 2, lose 2, win 3, lose 1, win 4? This team actually fought tonight which amazed me.

SteelerCountry58
11-28-2013, 11:17 PM
The Fat Lady is bellowing and about to burst fellas.
I didn't expect much from this mediocre team.
Time to evaluate our options,pick wisely in the draft
and get ready for next season. Playoffs? Really? LOL

Nadroj 20
11-28-2013, 11:18 PM
How are we in a better position?

They have a win on us but schedule wise I think ours is weaker than Baltimore.

X-Terminator
11-28-2013, 11:23 PM
They have a win on us but schedule wise I think ours is weaker than Baltimore.

Baltimore still has to play New England, at Detroit and at Cincy. While the Steelers have 3 of their last 4 games at home (Miami, Cincy, Cleveland). The Ravens definitely have the tougher schedule.

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2013, 11:23 PM

they will be when we have to play them. aaron rodgers will be back probably next week. meaning he will be in for sure against us. lambeau field is one magnificient home crowd. ben vs. aaron rodgers? Thats a one sided child beating of a shootout

X-Terminator
11-28-2013, 11:24 PM
they will be when we have to play them. aaron rodgers will be back probably next week. meaning he will be in for sure against us. lambeau field is one magnificient home crowd. ben vs. aaron rodgers? Thats a one sided child beating of a shootout

Again, have you seen Green Bay's defense? To say they aren't good is an understatement. If Ben gets any kind of time, he should shred them. Not to mention that his OL is going to get Rodgers killed if they don't get better as a unit.

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2013, 11:25 PM
why do you people even want to make the playoffs so badly? i mean as a steeler fan myself, i cant help but root for my team regardless of circumstances, but what are you expecting out of this team in the playoffs? Dont make me laugh with the "weak teams have been winning the superbowl in recent years" argument. This team makes them look like world beaters

Dwinsgames
11-28-2013, 11:26 PM
lets be honest , this team showed heart in the second half and came up 1 set of slippery fingers short from over time ...

that being said the health of this football team is in BAD shape right now the O-line is decimated with injuries and walking wounded ....

the chances we win out are someplace between slim and none ..

time to rip off the band aid and see what the youngsters have , before heading into the draft and next season get them exp . and make sure they are who we think they are so we can prepare accordingly

as a side note this is not doom and gloom , its the reality of the 2013 steelers season and where we stand in terms of health at this moment in time...

steel9guy
11-28-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm not giving up on this season or this team till I hear they are mathmatically eliminated. Anything can happen this year. Ben is playing well and I think we can take 3 of 4.

zulater
11-28-2013, 11:27 PM
By the way, Steelers still hold tiebreaker over Ravens should it come to that ... guaranteed to win common opponents tiebreaker.

X-Terminator
11-28-2013, 11:28 PM
why do you people even want to make the playoffs so badly? i mean as a steeler fan myself, i cant help but root for my team regardless of circumstances, but what are you expecting out of this team in the playoffs? Dont make me laugh with the "weak teams have been winning the superbowl in recent years" argument. This team makes them look like world beaters

Are you kidding me? The Giants won the SB 2 years ago with a 9-7 record, and the Ravens were 10-6 last year. All you need to do is get in; after that, anything...and I mean ANYTHING...can happen.

zulater
11-28-2013, 11:29 PM
I'm not giving up on this season or this team till I hear they are mathmatically eliminated. Anything can happen this year. Ben is playing well and I think we can take 3 of 4.

It's going to take 4 of 4, and I think we can do it. If we have an offensive line going forward that is.

Dwinsgames
11-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Are you kidding me? The Giants won the SB 2 years ago with a 9-7 record, and the Ravens were 10-6 last year. All you need to do is get in; after that, anything...and I mean ANYTHING...can happen.

you have to have healthy players to get in , that is probably the largest issue right now

zulater
11-28-2013, 11:32 PM
lets be honest , this team showed heart in the second half and came up 1 set of slippery fingers short from over time ...

that being said the health of this football team is in BAD shape right now the O-line is decimated with injuries and walking wounded ....

the chances we win out are someplace between slim and none ..

time to rip off the band aid and see what the youngsters have , before heading into the draft and next season get them exp . and make sure they are who we think they are so we can prepare accordingly

as a side note this is not doom and gloom , its the reality of the 2013 steelers season and where we stand in terms of health at this moment in time...

The good news is they have 10 days until they play again.

If Beachum and Velsaco are able to play against the Dolphins that's a win. Right now we play hard with the best players available until we're eliminated from contention.

steel9guy
11-28-2013, 11:33 PM
I don't care what anyone says and I know it hurts future drafts and all of that stuff that I hear but none of that matters to me, Any decent team at any time can get hot and when a superbowl and I still think this team will have a major chance the last few weeks.

Seven
11-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Roethlisberger will destroy that defense. Rodgers might put up some stats, but the Packers have a worse supporting cast for him than we do for Ben - and by far. The Packers suck. I'm more worried about Miami than Green Bay. Unless #40 Christ descends from the heavens and suits up at safety for the Packers I'd bet the house on us leaving Wisconsin with a W. Their defense makes ours look legendary.

Nadroj 20
11-28-2013, 11:34 PM
The mindset of not being in the playoffs because we "can't do anything in the playoffs" is ridiculous.

So unless you are Denver, Seattle, or New Orleans don't bother because you aren't favorites. Just let the big boys battle it out since underdogs have never won in any sport.

fansince'76
11-28-2013, 11:36 PM
ben vs. aaron rodgers? Thats a one sided child beating of a shootout

You mean like 2009?

steel9guy
11-28-2013, 11:39 PM
And I know this sounds crazy, but anyone seen Peyton Manning in cold weather? He's like 8-11 under 40 degrees.

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2013, 11:46 PM

teams vastly better than us at the moment.

You mean like 2009?

no, more like 2010. you know, when it really mattered most.

zulater
11-28-2013, 11:50 PM

no, more like 2010. you know, when it really mattered most.

If Mendenhall doesn't fumble who knows?

Seven
11-28-2013, 11:53 PM
teams vastly better than us at the moment. The Giants of two years ago vastly better than the current Steelers? Wow. Talk about revisionist history.

HollywoodSteel
11-28-2013, 11:53 PM

I know what you're saying but I doubt the Packers will ever look that bad again this season. First of all, Flynn was scared on every snap (for good reason) and Rodgers won't be that deer in the headlights. Rodgers can change an entire defense's strategy by his ability to make you pay dearly for your pass rush. Also he can move around in the pocket and throw on the move much better than Flynn. And that defense was embarrassed so badly that pride alone could force them to improve. Plus, as you've probably noticed, Detroit has a way of making many a defense look very shitty, at least for a while.

I'm not saying we're going to face the same caliber Packers team that won the Super Bowl a few years ago, but with Rodgers, on any given Sunday, the Packers can give any team a run for their money, especially in Green Bay, which is a far cry from playing Detroit in Detroit.

X-Terminator
11-29-2013, 12:01 AM

Really? The 2011 Giants were vastly better than this current Steelers team? Please tell me you're joking. That was one of the worst teams to ever win the Super Bowl, which is proof-positive that all you need to do is get hot at the right time.

I know what you're saying but I doubt the Packers will ever look that bad again this season. First of all, Flynn was scared on every snap (for good reason) and Rodgers won't be that dear in the headlights. Rodgers can change an entire defense's strategy by his ability to make you pay dearly for your pass rush. Also he can move around in the pocket and throw on the move much better than Flynn. And that defense was embarrassed so badly that pride alone could force them to improve. Plus, as you've probably noticed, Detroit has a way of making many a defense look very shitty, at least for a while.

I'm not saying we're going to face the same caliber Packers team that won the Super Bowl a few years ago, but with Rodgers, on any given Sunday, the Packers can give any team a run for their money, especially in Green Bay, which is a far cry from playing Detroit in Detroit.

They'll score more points with Rodgers, but overall, their record won't be much better. Their defense is that bad, and has been that way most of the season. It is not a given that the Steelers won't be able to go up there and beat him in a shootout, because like I said, if Ben gets any kind of time, he will tear that defense apart.

oneforthetoe
11-29-2013, 01:09 AM
If we are dead it was the 0 -4 start that got us not this game. We split the series with Ravens, that is usually not a season killer. If our o'line can get remotely healthy we can win out, but more likely 8 and 8.

The Bark
11-29-2013, 06:38 AM
I haven't seen GB's defense, but I've seen our offense in the first half plenty of times. Advantage: GB, even if they lined up eleven corpses... In wheelchairs.

Hindes204
11-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Injuries have killed us. We got a talented team. If we keep playing the way we are, I think we have a good chance of winning out. Sneak into the playoffs and after that, anything is possible

Shoes
11-29-2013, 07:28 AM
I just don't see it happening. There are players who give it their all and others who don't....the same could be said about the coaching staff.

Steeldude
11-29-2013, 07:48 AM
It's hard to say the Steelers are far from dead when they have the most fragile O-line in the NFL, perhaps history.

GoSlash27
11-29-2013, 08:37 AM
One game at a time, beat Miami in our next game, and take it to the next week. The team's playing good football now. Just a damn shame we took 8 games to figure it out this year.

^ This. I won't begrudge a 2 point loss against Baltimore in Baltimore. This season looks like a bust (tho' it might not be), but the way we're playing now makes me hopeful about next year.

86WARD
11-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't say "far" from dead...but still "alive."

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2013, 12:09 PM
btw, the title of this thread???

uhh, if were far from dead, does that mean we STILL have plenty of margin for error? i think not

zulater
11-30-2013, 04:43 AM
btw, the title of this thread???

uhh, if were far from dead, does that mean we STILL have plenty of margin for error? i think not

You're right there's no margin of error. When I put this thread up I was charged with left over emotion from the game. I was being defiant I guess, giving death the old middle finger if you will

http://antiteaparty.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/defiance2.jpg

But you know what? A day and a half later I still feel it's true that the Steelers got a strong pulse for this season's playoff season. The short week following a road game is something people continue to overlook, something that in my opinion made this last game all the harder yet. Something that I think adversly affected the defense.

Going forward, I think the Steelers are playing their best football right now. I think they can and will win out. I think they are currently play much better than Green Bay, and the Bengals.

I also think the Ravens have at least one loss on their remaining schedule. So if the Steelers win out I think they're safely in at 9-7.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Reserve/Injured

#
Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
College

Brown, Curtis (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Curtis-Brown/f3c23f12-83ab-423a-a7b8-e15b757e96b2)
DB
6-0
Texas

Brown, Levi (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Levi-Brown/73a9ba9c-3e2a-4652-8bd0-1470522301e2)
T
6-6
Penn State

Burress, Plaxico (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Plaxico-Burress/6d41bfdd-4f1b-4d87-92d3-5c403a0b140f)
WR
6-5
Michigan State

Embernate, Nik (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Nik-Embernate/9efaae21-afc3-4c61-88e2-7179115d9014)
G
6-4
R
San Diego State

Foote, Larry (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Larry-Foote/8bbeec8c-cae8-4d79-8c84-eb94ce439442)
LB
6-1
Michigan

Johnson, David (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/David-Johnson/4e49a0b2-e0cf-4022-84ce-69563b3e5fa1)
TE
6-2
Arkansas State

Pouncey, Maurkice (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Maurkice-Pouncey/9d33439a-ec2b-4a65-a2a2-0b63719b0604)
C
6-4
Florida

Spence, Sean (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Sean-Spence/be819128-6117-419b-8586-f0c71facd389)
LB
5-11
Miami (FL)

Stephens-Howling, LaRod (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/LaRod-Stephens-Howling/5ee61891-f8df-49e9-82cb-83ddd76e242a)
RB
5-7
Pittsburgh

Velasco, Fernando (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Fernando-Velasco/b3ad6215-d493-4c27-9e42-fe8005e14f4e)
C/G
6-4
Georgia

Williams, Nick (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Nick-Williams/cbc84adf-f54b-43db-9b51-8e7b35f62915)
DE
6-4
R
Samford

Game over

Mojouw
11-30-2013, 05:24 PM
I think that since this team will now have a combination of traffic cones, turnstiles, blocking dummies, and DeCastro playing along the offensive line, it is pretty much over.

oneforthetoe
11-30-2013, 05:53 PM
I wonder if Decastro ever played center? I mean he is a smart guy - and guard is the one position we have any depth left. Of course, then we would have another guy playing out of position.

Mistah Q
11-30-2013, 06:21 PM
edit: you can delete this post

I was trying to test... I simply can NOT get this forum to work right in IE 11..

Mojouw
11-30-2013, 06:42 PM
My guess is that they put Adams in at LT and move Beachum to center. Either that or start playing guys off the street.

Did it look to anyone else like Foster was making a ton of the blocking calls when they went no huddle (along with Ben) and then he kinda "slapped" Velasco with his right hand when he felt things were set? Long way of saying, that I suspect that Foster (as arguably the most experienced guy in the OL position grouping) is making most of the line calls.

So if Adams or a street FA can find a way to play average or better....maybe Ben isn't dead in 2 weeks.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2013, 06:56 PM
going into this season ( camp at Latrobe ) Gilbert was penciled in as the LT ....

now I am not saying he should move , or that a move would work

hell I am 99.99% sure he would fail at it but I do find it puzzling that they thought he was the guy the entire off season and start of camp and we have not seen him play 1 snap there ......

the question I have is would he be better than Adams or even a push ( would not take a whole bunch to be somewhat better ) and we all know Adams is a better RT ...

just a passing thought ....

how much stirring of eggs must one do to have scrambled eggs , and does even more stirring make them more scrambled or is scrambled scrambled ? that is how I am now looking at our O-line , how do we not get Ben killed

Heinz Hitman
11-30-2013, 07:44 PM
As soon as I got the text saying that Velasco was put on the IR I figured that the season was done. Not very likely to find yet another center that can play at a high level. Him and DeCastro were holding the line together these last few weeks. Be mighty hard for DeCastro to do it all himself.

Shoes
11-30-2013, 08:50 PM
going into this season ( camp at Latrobe ) Gilbert was penciled in as the LT ....

now I am not saying he should move , or that a move would work

hell I am 99.99% sure he would fail at it but I do find it puzzling that they thought he was the guy the entire off season and start of camp and we have not seen him play 1 snap there ......

the question I have is would he be better than Adams or even a push ( would not take a whole bunch to be somewhat better ) and we all know Adams is a better RT ...

just a passing thought ....

how much stirring of eggs must one do to have scrambled eggs , and does even more stirring make them more scrambled or is scrambled scrambled ? that is how I am now looking at our O-line , how do we not get Ben killed

Play Grad & Landry.

Mistah Q
11-30-2013, 09:08 PM
No sense in throwing in the towel until they are mathematically eliminated, but,

I'm not even sure it's in the organization's best interests to grab that wildcard berth, to be honest

Dwinsgames
11-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Play Grad & Landry.

I hear ya , but they will ride Ben till his wheels fall off , and I suspect they will fall off sooner rather than later ....

I would play all youngsters , they have to realize they have almost no chance at this point