PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Worilds, defense put a world of hurt on Browns quarterbacks

zulater
11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers sacked Browns quarterbacks five times Sunday and outside linebacker Jason Worilds did not record any of them. But Worilds might have been the most disruptive player on the defense.

The proof: He registered six hits on Browns quarterbacks Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden after they released the ball.

The Steelers' 11 hits on the quarterback tied a season high. Those 11 hits played a part in the defense forcing four turnovers.

There was William Gay's strip sack that was the direct result of a hit on Campbell. And defensive end Cameron Heyward theorized Gay's interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter likely was caused by the cumulative effects those hits had throughout the game.

"Whether it was games or straight rush, I thought we delivered a lot of punishment on the quarterback," Heyward said. "When we do that it will make [quarterbacks] see some things out there. It will make them rush. It's going to make it easier on the back end. If we can get that day in and day out we'll be successful."

The Steelers have hit the quarterback 34 times in the past four games. That's a staggering turnaround for a team that hit the quarterback just 15 times in their first four games, all losses.

In some game earlier this season, pressure on the quarterback was almost nonexistent. The Steelers hit Minnesota quarterback Matt Cassell once in a 34-27 loss in London. They hit Oakland quarterback Terrelle Pryor and Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco only twice.

It should come as no surprise then that the Steelers are 3-1 in the past four games and have forced nine turnovers, including seven in the past two games. They did not force any turnovers in those first four games when pressure was so infrequent.

"We want to make the quarterback feel uncomfortable in the pocket," said Worilds, who is responsible for 10 of the 18 hits the Steelers have administered on quarterbacks the past two weeks. "I think it affects the timing of their offense. If you can throw off that timing you'll be effective in what you want to do."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013/11/26/Worilds-defense-put-a-world-of-hurt-on-Browns-quarterbacks/stories/201311260066#ixzz2llFloyqr

st33lersguy
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden entered a world of pain

ALLD
11-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Campbell and Weeden are still hearing bells ring and seeing shadows.

Spike
11-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Worilds has blossomed since moving to LOLB

not sure if I want Woodley back there, maybe move HIM to the right side

Steelman
11-26-2013, 03:28 PM
If Woodley wants to actually play linebacker, he needs to shed a lot of weight. I've seen reports that say he's possibly up to 280?! That's just ridiculous!

That said, Worilds has been playing extremely well. Hopefully the coaches aren't blinded by Woodley's fat contract and actually play the man who's producing.

MrPgh
11-26-2013, 03:41 PM
If Woodley wants to actually play linebacker, he needs to shed a lot of weight. I've seen reports that say he's possibly up to 280?! That's just ridiculous!

That said, Worilds has been playing extremely well. Hopefully the coaches aren't blinded by Woodley's fat contract and actually play the man who's producing.

Well, the Steelers are down a NT with McClendon out. Maybe Woodley's future is there since he's been getting fat since he signed the new contract.

Count Steeler
11-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Worilds has blossomed since moving to LOLB

not sure if I want Woodley back there, maybe move HIM to the right side

Worlds has always played better on the left side. He should stay there. I suggested that 2 years ago. Maybe try Woodley inside. I suggested that 2 years ago as well.

Spike
11-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Worlds has always played better on the left side. He should stay there. I suggested that 2 years ago. Maybe try Woodley inside. I suggested that 2 years ago as well.

you are the dreamweaver?

toot that horn

Count Steeler
11-26-2013, 06:16 PM
you are the dreamweaver?

toot that horn

Not always, but sometimes it is so obvious and I just scratch my head that the coaches don't see it. Mike Adams is another one. He is a RT.

I would love to see them at least try Woodley inside, or at ROLB. Maybe he craps out, maybe they have tried it in practice, but there is no question that Worilds plays best at LOLB.

Look how well Colon played at LG last year, after many on this board were saying he should be played there. The coaches finally read our posts. :chuckle:

Spike
11-26-2013, 07:19 PM
I would love to see them at least try Woodley inside, or at ROLB. Maybe he craps out, maybe they have tried it in practice, but there is no question that Worilds plays best at LOLB. Look how well Colon played at LG last year

ha ha!

git ur spurs on and climb aboard the wagontrain

Steelers have decision to make Thursday night involving LaMarr Woodley and Jason Worilds

The more Jason Worilds continues to look like a starting NFL linebacker on the left side of the Steelers defense, the more LaMarr Woodley develops a striking resemblance to Willie Colon

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/11/26/5146912/steelers-ravens-LaMarr-Woodley-Jason-Worilds

steelerdude15
11-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Here are two things that are on my mind about Jason and LaMarr. One, we have seen LaMarr become very ineffective against the run. IMO, the only thing he is good at is rushing the passer. I haven't really studied his pass coverage skills so I can't really say anything about that. So with that being said, can Jason do well against the run from the left side? Will he able able to break off of blocks and make tackles in the run game? Also, what are Jason's pass coverage skills like? If we start to see a player that is all around better, more fundamentally sound, etc, we may want to keep Jason at LOLB and sign him. Second, if we do move LaMarr to ROLB, how effective would he be? Its a well known fact that many of the best tackles in the game play on the left side of the offensive line to protect the QB's blindside. Would LaMarr benefit from the move or would he become even more ineffective? I wouldn't mind seeing the move made to see what would happen. Who knows, it could be very beneficial and help the Steelers in the long run.

Count Steeler
11-26-2013, 08:25 PM
I have always wanted to see how Woodley does on the inside. Jarvis was drafted for the ROLB, so let's see if he can develop out there.

I guess my main point is that the coaches should be maximizing each player's skill set, instead of leaving players in their "positions" just because of contract situations or status quos. I believe Timmons was originally considered for the outside, but he is best suited on the inside. Remember 2 seasons ago when Timmons played the ROLB for Harrison. Timmons pretty well disappeared from the stat sheet.

I would like to see if Woodley has any value at another position. Worilds has proven to be a more than adequate replacement at LOLB.

Seven
11-26-2013, 09:50 PM
I have always wanted to see how Woodley does on the inside. Jarvis was drafted for the ROLB, so let's see if he can develop out there.

I guess my main point is that the coaches should be maximizing each player's skill set, instead of leaving players in their "positions" just because of contract situations or status quos. I believe Timmons was originally considered for the outside, but he is best suited on the inside. Remember 2 seasons ago when Timmons played the ROLB for Harrison. Timmons pretty well disappeared from the stat sheet.

I would like to see if Woodley has any value at another position. Worilds has proven to be a more than adequate replacement at LOLB.

I've never thought Woodley could play inside. His value begins and ends with pass rushing in my opinion. But I'm with you when it comes to seeing whether or not he could be useful somewhere else; I'd leave Jones and Worilds right where they are. At this point, I'd probably make Woodley the primary backup at both OLB positions and bring him in on third downs. Let him put his hand on the ground, why not? He and Heyward with Jones and Worilds behind sounds like a good idea to me on passing downs.

Count Steeler
11-27-2013, 04:46 AM
I've never thought Woodley could play inside. His value begins and ends with pass rushing in my opinion. But I'm with you when it comes to seeing whether or not he could be useful somewhere else; I'd leave Jones and Worilds right where they are. At this point, I'd probably make Woodley the primary backup at both OLB positions and bring him in on third downs. Let him put his hand on the ground, why not? He and Heyward with Jones and Worilds behind sounds like a good idea to me on passing downs.

However, Woodley is not solely utilized as a pass rusher. If you look up his ratings, he is one of the least used ROLB for rushing the passer.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10/lamarr-woodley-re-establishing-himself-as-an-elite-pass-rusher/

Seven
11-27-2013, 05:09 AM
However, Woodley is not solely utilized as a pass rusher. If you look up his ratings, he is one of the least used ROLB for rushing the passer.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10/lamarr-woodley-re-establishing-himself-as-an-elite-pass-rusher/
I would suggest that's part of the problem then. I don't think he brings much to the table when not used as a pass rusher. He gets eaten up by blockers and isn't great in coverage, man or zone. This is based on time I spent watching him last year, mind you, and it seems like he is playing somewhat improved this year so some of that might not be accurate at present. But his strength to me has always been rushing the quarterback, he lacks moves but has shown an ability to create pressure regardless over the course of his career. If we're not utilizing him as such I don't see why he's on the field at all and I support keeping Worilds in the lineup at LOLB even more than I did before.

Steeldude
11-27-2013, 06:47 AM
The link doesn't take into account the down, yards for a first, how many defenders are rushing or how many are blocking etc... I have seen too many times when Woodley is easily taken care of by a lone TE.

As for playing ILB, I doubt he could do it because of his lack of speed and effort, IMO. I can't see Woodley chasing players down from across the field. Could you imagine Woodley trying to cover Rice or anyone for that matter?

If Woodley is such a great LBer, as many on here have claimed, then why not move him to the right?

I am hoping Worilds has lit a fire under Woodley if/when he returns. I doubt the coaching staff moves Woodley to the right side. Woodley will pick up a sack on Thursday which will once again fool many into thinking he is a awesome specimen. Who cares about containment, pass coverage, tackling etc...? Right?

zulater
11-27-2013, 08:01 AM
The link doesn't take into account the down, yards for a first, how many defenders are rushing or how many are blocking etc... I have seen too many times when Woodley is easily taken care of by a lone TE.

As for playing ILB, I doubt he could do it because of his lack of speed and effort, IMO. I can't see Woodley chasing players down from across the field. Could you imagine Woodley trying to cover Rice or anyone for that matter?

If Woodley is such a great LBer, as many on here have claimed, then why not move him to the right?

I am hoping Worilds has lit a fire under Woodley if/when he returns. I doubt the coaching staff moves Woodley to the right side. Woodley will pick up a sack on Thursday which will once again fool many into thinking he is a awesome specimen. Who cares about containment, pass coverage, tackling etc...? Right?

IMO Woodley was playing at a high level until he blew out his hammie midseason 2011. Hasn't been the same since. The player he's become isn't worth having around.

zulater
12-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Those of you down on Jarvis Jones need to keep in mind how long it took Jason top look like a legitimate NFL linebacker, let alone the stud he's become the last month. By the way, Tomlin indicated at the press conference that Woodley will be moved to right outside linebacker and Worlidis will remain starting at LOLB.

Steeldude
12-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Those of you down on Jarvis Jones need to keep in mind how long it took Jason top look like a legitimate NFL linebacker, let alone the stud he's become the last month. By the way, Tomlin indicated at the press conference that Woodley will be moved to right outside linebacker and Worlidis will remain starting at LOLB.

Injuries and having to play behind Woodley and Harrison kept him from showing what he could do. I would say blind coaches couldn't see what Woodley lacks as a complete LB. Worilds should have been given more playing time while sitting Woodley down. They should have let Woodley walk.

Woodley on the right worries a little me because there are more pass coverage responsibilities. I suggested switching them in the off-season. Maybe Woodley's bull rush will more effective or at least more tiring for the LT as the game goes on. At least he will be coming from the QB's blind side.

Psycho Ward 86
12-03-2013, 05:37 PM

you also need to keep in mind that jarvis jones was arguably a top 5 pick if not for his spinal contusion in college, and thus he comes with the expectations of immediate impact. Especially since he actually played OLB in a great NCAA conference. If we need to wait for all of our drafted players to take 4 years to play well then were in trouble. Because we arent stacked anymore like we were from 2004-2011. that luxury is now unavailable.

GoSlash27
12-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Looks to me like Coach Dad has given up on his "inside pressure" experiment.

zulater
12-03-2013, 07:07 PM
you also need to keep in mind that jarvis jones was arguably a top 5 pick if not for his spinal contusion in college, and thus he comes with the expectations of immediate impact. Especially since he actually played OLB in a great NCAA conference. If we need to wait for all of our drafted players to take 4 years to play well then were in trouble. Because we arent stacked anymore like we were from 2004-2011. that luxury is now unavailable.

Troy didn't show much either as a rookie. I'm not saying wait four years, but at least give him one offseason in the system and see what the second year brings before calling the pick a bust. And I'm not saying you have, but some have said as much already.