PDA

View Full Version : The Prevent defense

GoSlash27
11-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Fans and commentators around the league universally hate the "prevent", and this forum is no exception. I honestly worry about the Steelers prevent, but I'm completely at a loss to explain what it is exactly we're doing wrong. So a few questions as food for thought...

1) Does the Steelers' prevent suck?
2) If yes, does it suck worse than the league average?
3) If yes, what do you think is behind it? Schematic, talent, coaching, play calling, execution, something else?
4) Whatever you think is the reason, how would you go about fixing it?

Personally, I never feel comfortable in garbage time. It seems like opposing teams just shred our prevent, connecting on long, quick plays and getting out of bounds... but maybe that's just me.
What do you folks think?

Psycho Ward 86
11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
playing prevent defense with a lead is like running the ball nonstop with a lead. The opposing team sees it coming so they take advantage. Just keep doing what got you the lead in the first place. Damn, its that simple.

in regards to the "running the ball nonstop with a lead," take the patriots for example. theyll keep playing ball instead of trying to run the ball against 8 man fronts. and thats smart football, because running the ball isnt going to help you eat up the clock if you cant pick up a fucking first down. hell, look at what the patriots do when they have a 3+ score lead in the 4th quarter against an opposing team. they keep firing on all cylinders. its not being an asshole, its called being smart. it sure as hell is better than letting the team come back into the game right? you see teams like the patriots throw TD bombs on 3rd-and-short play actions all the time when theyre already beating the crud out of other teams. Yes, they go overboard sometimes, but it wins games. and in sound fashion at that.

ive never understood why people think its so damn classless to blowout a team in the world of professional sports. people are getting paid to score and to let the other team not score. shut the fuck up and play. everyone on the field is getting paid millions or at the very least, a handsome 6 figures to get the job done.

sorry to go off on a tangent, i feel like this relates because playing prevent and running the ball excessively are both things teams do when trying to preserve a lead. and i find both are kind of dumb

Moose
11-25-2013, 07:13 PM
I agree with every word you said Psycho ! I hate that damn prevent shit ! If I can beat you 50 - 0.... than that's what the hell I'm gonna do. This isn't high school or college football, as you said these player's are paid big, big bucks to play a kid's game, so keep doing what you do to win, if the other team can't stop you than too bad and it will show them what they need to work on. To answer the questions....#1 - YES, #2- YES, # 3- Everything mentioned #4- PLAY FOOTBALL FOR 60 F'n minutes ! Go Steeler's

Mistah Q
11-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Prevent defense is garbage. Right on Moose, if you can win 50 - 0, then you do it. If you're trying to save your starters from getting hurt, well then slip in a couple second stringers in positions where a slight drop won't lose you the game... and keep going hard. Playing afraid of injury is what begets injury in most cases anyway.

Mojouw
11-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I think every teams' prevent defense stinks. In the words of John Madden, all the prevent does is prevent you from winning.

GoSlash27
11-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Okay, so the consensus so far is that the problem is that the "prevent" shouldn't be used, period. Can't say I disagree...

Dwinsgames
11-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Dance with the D that brought ya ..

I do however like taking the air out of the ball on O to finish out a game , but I still throw it when it is needed ( 3rd and 5 or more per example )

GoSlash27
11-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Dance with the D that brought ya ..

I do however like taking the air out of the ball on O to finish out a game , but I still throw it when it is needed ( 3rd and 5 or more per example )

I said it in the last thread; all football is situational. You do what you're good at and force them to do what they're bad at.
But that's a little off- topic for what we're discussing here.
If we're not supposed to use the prevent, what *DO* we do in those situations?

Dwinsgames
11-25-2013, 09:04 PM
I said it in the last thread; all football is situational. You do what you're good at and force them to do what they're bad at.
But that's a little off- topic for what we're discussing here.
If we're not supposed to use the prevent, what *DO* we do in those situations?

play situational as if was the 3rd Q not the end of the game ...

if you played Zone the entire way and built a 14+ point lead using it , continue to use it the worst that can happen is they score and they will score vs the prevent anyways so why not make them earn it ....

My prevent system is not give them extra chances , so take the air out of the ball as much as you can when you have the ball ... make them fight for everything they get from you when you are on D and dont just let them systematically march down the field with 7-8 yard out patterns to the sidelines

Count Steeler
11-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't change the game plan. Keep doing what you have been doing all game.

The only thing I would consider doing is putting in some second stringers. However, no change in scheme and no change in pressure. If we are up by 28 points and less than 5 minutes to go, then, maybe, MAYBE, I would consider prevent.

GoSlash27
11-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Anybody here willing to defend the Prevent? Even grudgingly as a necessary evil?
Not trying to paint anyone into a corner, just looking for in interesting discussion on the subject...

Count Steeler
11-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Anybody here willing to defend the Prevent? Even grudgingly as a necessary evil?
Not trying to paint anyone into a corner, just looking for in interesting discussion on the subject...

Would be nice to get the explanation from LeBeau or Tomlin.

GoSlash27
11-25-2013, 09:55 PM
That's the part that stumps me: If you're up against a team that's good for gashing defenses rapidly with very little TOP and not good at doing anything else, would your game plan look like the Prevent?
If not, why run that defense in that situation? Why not just say "we know what they're gonna do and we're gonna keep it from happening" instead of giving them freebies?
I mean... yeah there's some risk of getting burned on a long play, but it seems to me that if they were capable of pulling that off, they wouldn't be behind in the first place. Why not just shut 'em down, take the ball, and squeeze the life out of it?

fansince'76
11-25-2013, 09:58 PM
The only time I don't mind the prevent is if we're up by 30 with about 4 minutes left in the 4th and it would be to keep players from getting injured. However, we're not often up by 30, so...

Moose
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't change the game plan. Keep doing what you have been doing all game.

The only thing I would consider doing is putting in some second stringers. However, no change in scheme and no change in pressure. If we are up by 28 points and less than 5 minutes to go, then, maybe, MAYBE, I would consider prevent.

I agree with everything but the BOLD print ! If I'm up by 28 pts. then I'll try to go up by 35 pts., then go up by 45 pts., etc., until the time expires...that's the end of the game ! Get the idea ? PLAY until the END OF GAME !! 60 MINUTES !!

Psycho Ward 86
11-25-2013, 10:03 PM
The only time I don't mind the prevent is if we're up by 30 with about 4 minutes left in the 4th and it would be to keep players from getting injured. However, we're not often up by 30, so...

why would it keep players from getting injured? I cant believe that personally until i see tangible proof. like count steeler said, if the game is in hand, i would keep doing what im doing, except throw in some backups.

st33lersguy
11-25-2013, 10:09 PM
The prevent is designed to prevent 50+ yard bombs, that's it. It is pretty much useless in stopping pass plays up to that distance. Running the prevent cost this team a playoff spot back in 2009

steelreserve
11-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Yeah, protecting against a 40-yard pass play doesn't help you when the other team can just go right out and throw two uncontested 20-yard passes. Believe it or not - and this is a shocker here - most NFL offenses have figured that out, and they'll actually throw the ball to guys if you leave them wide open.

Mojouw
11-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Maybe...maybe...this past sunday the prevent made some sense. Less collisions and wear and tear on defenders considering they have to play again on the road on Thursday?

Don't know. Just a random late night thought.

Mistah Q
11-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Maybe...maybe...this past sunday the prevent made some sense. Less collisions and wear and tear on defenders considering they have to play again on the road on Thursday?

Don't know. Just a random late night thought.Maybe. Except we finished the game in attack mode... for once.

We gave up a garbage TD drive but then we didn't let it happen again... we attacked. And boy was it beautiful to see.

If you were playing defense, which would you rather hear from your coach's mouth?

"Give them some space, just be sure we run about 6 minutes off the clock"

or

"Get us the ball back... we're going to beat their ass."

GoSlash27
11-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Yeah, protecting against a 40-yard pass play doesn't help you when the other team can just go right out and throw two uncontested 20-yard passes. Believe it or not - and this is a shocker here - most NFL offenses have figured that out, and they'll actually throw the ball to guys if you leave them wide open.

Well- stated. Seems to me that the prevent only makes sense in the rare instance where the game hinges on a single play. Like "down by 4 at the 50 with 6 seconds on the clock". Otherwise, play to stop the drive.

ALLD
11-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Just run out the clock as long as the lead is big enough to make it past the time remaining. Sometimes all it does is prevent winning.

Psycho Ward 86
11-26-2013, 01:01 PM
the prevent also doesnt work when youre giving up huge plays that allow the receiver to go out of bounds...which was basically josh gordon on like every catch on the 4th quarter lol