PDA

View Full Version : Gene Collier: NFL is in possession of puzzling receiver rule

stillers4me
11-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Some have asked if I think the Steelers turned a corner Sunday with a stirring come-from-behind-after-coming-from-ahead victory against the NFC Central Division-leading Detroit Lions, but it’s increasingly apparent that I’d be the last to know.

A week earlier, I was the last to suspect the Steelers’ porous run defense would crush Buffalo’s highly competent rushers, and by halftime against the Lions, I was among the last to understand that despite scoring 27 points in the second quarter, Detroit was not necessarily on its way to winning 71-20.

Generally then, the more I see of the 2013 Steelers, the less I understand about their immediate future, but there’s a larger problem at hand. I’m no longer able to make basic assumptions regarding what goes on across the NFL, even on matters such as what constitutes a touchdown pass.

That’s why I found myself asking Jerricho Cotchery, Heath Miller, Mike Tomlin and even rookie wideout Markus Wheaton if they could help me connect mentally to certain contemporary football realities............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/gene-collier/2013/11/21/Gene-Collier-NFL-is-in-possession-of-puzzling-receiver-rule/stories/201311210215#ixzz2lTj65300

GoSlash27
11-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I think Wheaton explained it best; A runner has possession of the ball, whereas a receiver is attempting to establish possession of the ball.

Craic
11-23-2013, 01:53 PM
I think it's funny that he's sniping about that rule. It makes complete sense. I also like the fact that they removed the force-out rule.