PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Beachum breaks the mold at left tackle

stillers4me
11-23-2013, 08:09 AM
That will be quite a contrast at left tackle when the Steelers and Browns take the field Sunday in Cleveland.
Joe Thomas has not missed a snap at left tackle since the Browns drafted him third overall in the first round in 2007 and has made six Pro Bowls.

The Steelers drafted Kelvin Beachum last year in the seventh round to play guard, yet he has helped keep their season relevant by saving them at left tackle when they had virtually no one else to turn to.

At 6 feet 3 and sometimes 300 pounds (perhaps depending on how many Muscle Milk shakes he downs that day), Beachum has graded out well since taking over what many NFL personnel men believe to be the second-most important position on offense...............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/22/Beachum-breaks-the-mold-at-left-tackle-for-Steelers/stories/201311220153#ixzz2lTgG9zd3

BigNastyDefense
11-23-2013, 03:32 PM
I will admit, Beachum has impressed me. He's played much better than I have expected all the while Mike Adams has looked like a major bust.

Beachum might not be the franchise left tackle this franchise needs to protect Roethlisberger, but he's damn sure better than what we have had lately.

86WARD
11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Beachum has been solid so far. I don't think Adams is a bust yet...still think he has potential and is obviously a bit raw...but Beachum has been good.

cold-hard-steel
11-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Well some call him Kevin , but i will call him Kelvin . Plug up the hole and play boy . LOL!

BnG_Hevn
11-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Maybe having an olineman who depends on technique over "strength" is good in that with exceptional technique, holding is not as necessary so fewer calls will go against him.

Players that have to depend on technique, something they have to "work at" to develop, tend to be better and more consistent than players who rely on size and / or "natural talent".

cold-hard-steel
11-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Maybe having an olineman who depends on technique over "strength" is good in that with exceptional technique, holding is not as necessary so fewer calls will go against him.

Players that have to depend on technique, something they have to "work at" to develop, tend to be better and more consistent than players who rely on size and / or "natural talent".
Never looked at it quite that way , but i would lock on to that .

SteelerFanInStl
11-24-2013, 09:43 AM
He's not the future at LT but he's holding his own for now and doing a better job than anyone else on the team has done.

zulater
11-24-2013, 05:22 PM
I think Beach is our new Max Starks. Not great, wont ever make a Pro Bowl or All Pro team. But will do the job and keep Ben upright almost every down. He's a B to B- player. which is good enough when you have 7 back there. You guys who fret about cap space should love this guy. Check around the league and see what an upper tier LT makes, then tell me Beach isn't cost effective.

Mistah Q
11-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Beachum is fine. Gives us a chance to upgrade our LG, which will be cheaper and have a much higher hit rate...