PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Velasco Shares Tough Upbringing, Plans For Future With Steelers

stillers4me
11-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Steelers Center Fernando Velasco talked with Joe Starkey of Starkey, Miller and Mueller about his life growing up, the obstacles he had to overcome and where he sees himself next year when Maurkice Pouncey is back and healthyhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#).
“Everybody has a story,” Velasco said. ”My story is just a story of perseverance. We’re going to have some obstacles along the way, but what doesn’t hurt you makes you stronger. I’ve had a lot of unfortunate stuff happen but it’s not an excuse … I was blessed to have a grandfather who has helped me along the way.”........

Read more @ http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/11/22/fernando-velasco-shares-tough-upbringing-plans-for-future-with-steelers/

Steeldude
11-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Hopefully they can keep him.

steelreserve
11-23-2013, 11:51 AM
I we keep Pouncey on a one-year rental (which is all it would be - let's not kid ourselves) instead of this guy, we would be a bunch of damned fools.

Craic
11-23-2013, 01:47 PM
I we keep Pouncey on a one-year rental (which is all it would be - let's not kid ourselves) instead of this guy, we would be a bunch of damned fools.

Granted he's quite a bit cheaper, but I don't consider him the upgrade some others might. I'd much prefer to see if he can switch to Left Guard.

steelerdude15
11-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Quite the story on Fernando. I hope the Steelers keep him and I hope the Steelers can sign Pouncey as well.

Iron Steeler
11-25-2013, 04:30 PM
I actually like to keep him at center and move pouncey to guard ... Imagine how much more he would get to accelerate off the line .

salamander
11-25-2013, 07:53 PM
He's done a great job at center since coming here. I hope the Steelers can keep him around.

Devilsdancefloor
11-25-2013, 11:32 PM
I actually like to keep him at center and move pouncey to guard ... Imagine how much more he would get to accelerate off the line .

i couldnt agree more pouncy need to be at RG i really think decastro need to be moved to the left side

Iron Steeler
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
i couldnt agree more pouncy need to be at RG i really think decastro need to be moved to the left side

Finally someone else doesn't think I'm crazy . But my theory is , we all know that pouncey is one of the most athletic offensive lineman in the nfl when it comes to footwork and speed. Imagine of you take the responsibility of holding the ball away from him ...imagine him pulling for a power off tackle run or out to block for a screen. He would destroy guys coming in with a full head of steam.

steelreserve
11-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Finally someone else doesn't think I'm crazy . But my theory is , we all know that pouncey is one of the most athletic offensive lineman in the nfl when it comes to footwork and speed. Imagine of you take the responsibility of holding the ball away from him ...imagine him pulling for a power off tackle run or out to block for a screen. He would destroy guys coming in with a full head of steam.

I'm sure he could do that ... for some other team. There's just no way in hell we can afford him, and if we break the bank for him, it's a big mistake given our current financial situation IMO. That's just going to compound all the cap problems we already have, and you just can't do that for one lineman. If that was no issue, would I prefer to have him back? Absolutely. I just don't see it happening.

None of this should be taken to mean that I think Velasco is an "upgrade" at the center position, by the way. He's played well, but I don't think he's in any danger of making the All-Pro list. Basically with him vs. Pouncey, we get 80% of the player for a third of the price, which is exactly the kind of tradeoff we're forced to make when we're so pressed for cash.