PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

zulater
11-20-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ben-Roethlisberger-Named-AFC-Offensive-Player-of-the-Week/6809946d-a5e6-4d7e-94f6-23f17ab16d6b

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance versus the Detroit Lions in Week 11.

Roethlisberger completed 29-of-45 pass attempts for 367 yards with four touchdowns and zero interceptions for a season-high passer rating of 119.4. He also led his team on a 16-play, 97-yard touchdown drive in the fourth quarter to take a 30-27 lead. It marked the 29th time in his career during the regular season that he led his team to victory after trailing or being tied in the fourth quarter or overtime.

This marks the 10th time Roethlisberger has been named AFC Offensive player of the week, and first time since in 2011 (Weeks 5 and 8). For the season, Roethlisberger has totaled 2,901 passing yards on the season, which are the second-most in team history in a player’s first 10 games of a season since 1960.

Spike
11-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Put the ball in Ben's hands, shotgun, no-huddle all the way now

Spike
11-20-2013, 12:25 PM
OK - maybe those uni's aren't so bad...

go getem Ben

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=LbXSf J9u2MkqQP$9kBOYds$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtnWYQOWG4IfU8 $05rM6P6vWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Count Steeler
11-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Congrats Ben.

GoSlash27
11-20-2013, 05:47 PM
That was a no- brainer. Those kind of numbers from a no- huddle demand respect. But we can't go to that well too often. The no- huddle only works for you when there's a personnel mis-match on the field at the moment.

stillers4me
11-20-2013, 06:10 PM
:applaudit:

zulater
11-20-2013, 06:25 PM
That was a no- brainer. Those kind of numbers from a no- huddle demand respect. But we can't go to that well too often. The no- huddle only works for you when there's a personnel mis-match on the field at the moment.

Seems to work most all the time for Peyton. And I know Ben isn't Peyton, but maybe if he was given more leash we'd find he's not as far away as we think. I mean Peyton couldn't be Peyton if he was confined to a normal offense. I think Ben deserves more respect from the coaching staff. I think if you give him more responsibility he'll put in the extra hours needed to run a more advanced offense.

GoSlash27
11-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Seems to work most all the time for Peyton. And I know Ben isn't Peyton, but maybe if he was given more leash we'd find he's not as far away as we think. I mean Peyton couldn't be Peyton if he was confined to a normal offense. I think Ben deserves more respect from the coaching staff. I think if you give him more responsibility he'll put in the extra hours needed to run a more advanced offense.

Personally, I think Ben is capable of doing the Manning thing as well as Manning... but that's not the issue.
No- huddle involves an abbreviated play list, flexible players on the field, and enough time to get everyone comfortable with all those plays on the fly. Our injury subs on the o-line means that half of 'em can't run a no- huddle consistently yet.
And as I said earlier if the matchups don't exist, it's just a way to spend less time controlling the ball.
So you gotta be careful when and how you use it.

tube517
11-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Personally, I think Ben is capable of doing the Manning thing as well as Manning... but that's not the issue.
No- huddle involves an abbreviated play list, flexible players on the field, and enough time to get everyone comfortable with all those plays on the fly. Our injury subs on the o-line means that half of 'em can't run a no- huddle consistently yet.
And as I said earlier if the matchups don't exist, it's just a way to spend less time controlling the ball.

Go Slash, is that really you, Bruce Arians?? :chuckle:

"No, I have all the trust in the world in (Roethlisberger) calling the plays," said Arians, who added the Steelers prepare to use a no-huddle in the third or fourth series of a game if they need it. "It's the other 10 guys in the huddle functioning properly at that speed. (Roethlisberger) can play that a whole lot faster than the other 10 guys. When I see everybody playing as fast as he does in the no-huddle, then I think we'll be more than ready."

Read more: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763016.html#ixzz2lExwXA8f
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Spike
11-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Ben haters suck ass

that is all

GoSlash27
11-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Go Slash, is that really you, Bruce Arians?? :chuckle:

Read more: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763016.html#ixzz2lExwXA8f
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Heh... If I were the OC, you wouldn't have seen all those telegraphed bubble- screens. :nono:
I'm more of a pro- set QB option kinda guy.

GutterflowerSteel
11-21-2013, 06:48 PM
:yay3: Well deserved :applaudit: I voted ... a lot ;)

Dwinsgames
11-21-2013, 08:20 PM

I understand the logic as you stated it but I do not totally agree here is why ....

Our personnel from the skill pos is flexible enough to play different types of games , Brown can go deep from the outside or play slot run any sort of route imaginable ( with exception to the fade at a high level )

we have the sure handed pos receiver in Cotchery who can run the Hines Ward type routes and go invis and get behind a def when necessary ....

Sanders / Wheaton are plenty able to lull a def to sleep

Health can do a multitude of things

Bell is pretty good Receiver out of the backfield and blocks fair enough

so with our base O we can run just about anything imaginable with the players that are on the field the majority of the time ...

The QB ( Ben ) has to make the proper calls to expose the formation of the def on each specific play , it does not matter who the def had on the field as much as it does what alignment they are showing ..

are they playing press man or man or is it zone , is it 2 deep or 3 , where is the SS is he in the box or 10 yards or more deep .... all these things are tip offs to what they intend to try and do and using those signs gives you an advantage in determining what play to call based on those tips ....

S in the box you throw the ball because you have less coverage to worry about and somebody is singled on the outside or the TE has free roam of the middle of the field ....

S drops deep and just 7 in the box and they are going to use a LB to cover the TE you run the ball or take the matchup to the TE ...

those calls are all there for Ben to make personnel doesnt matter that much ... the biggest advantage the no huddle give you is the def can NOT substitute for tired players or down /distance situational football and you are dictating the tempo of the game

GBMelBlount
11-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Seems to work most all the time for Peyton.

Peyton = personnel mismatch. lol

Btw, Ben did some serious no huddle dinkin and dunkin last week. :lol:

I am pretty excited to see what we do against Cleveland.

Fingers crossed.

GoSlash27
11-21-2013, 09:10 PM
I understand the logic as you stated it but I do not totally agree here is why ....

Our personnel from the skill pos is flexible enough to play different types of games , Brown can go deep from the outside or play slot run any sort of route imaginable ( with exception to the fade at a high level )

we have the sure handed pos receiver in Cotchery who can run the Hines Ward type routes and go invis and get behind a def when necessary ....

Sanders / Wheaton are plenty able to lull a def to sleep

Health can do a multitude of things

Bell is pretty good Receiver out of the backfield and blocks fair enough

so with our base O we can run just about anything imaginable with the players that are on the field the majority of the time ...

The QB ( Ben ) has to make the proper calls to expose the formation of the def on each specific play , it does not matter who the def had on the field as much as it does what alignment they are showing ..

are they playing press man or man or is it zone , is it 2 deep or 3 , where is the SS is he in the box or 10 yards or more deep .... all these things are tip offs to what they intend to try and do and using those signs gives you an advantage in determining what play to call based on those tips ....

S in the box you throw the ball because you have less coverage to worry about and somebody is singled on the outside or the TE has free roam of the middle of the field ....

S drops deep and just 7 in the box and they are going to use a LB to cover the TE you run the ball or take the matchup to the TE ...

those calls are all there for Ben to make personnel doesnt matter that much ... the biggest advantage the no huddle give you is the def can NOT substitute for tired players or down /distance situational football and you are dictating the tempo of the game

I hear ya, but that's not the kind of "flexible" I'm talking about.

Running a no- huddle means that you're eliminating the ability to substitute players. Theirs *and* yours. There's no "power" set, no "hands" set, etc. So individual players have to be able to fulfill multiple roles, usually out of the same look. A RB has to be able to run, or act as a WR, or pass protect, or even lead block. And this goes for every player on the field. Each player needs to wear several hats, because you can't replace them.
This necessitates that your playbook be abbreviated, because each individual player needs to know exactly what they're supposed to be doing while taking over the job of several players.

No- huddle is a gamble and tradeoff, just like everything else in this game. When it works, it works well. When it doesn't, you give up T.O.P for nothing and end up losing games you could've won. The important thing to remember is that it's not just about the QB being able to manage it, but also the other 10 guys being able to execute it.

As our situation stands now, our line isn't coordinated and adept enough to be reliable in this situation. Too many injury substitutions. They're getting there, but not yet. They need to be able to pass protect, make holes, *and* lead block. More importantly, they need enough time in their position to know what they're expected to do on any given play.

We got past Detroit with that because they weren't expecting it, but that won't last. When you have weaknesses in flexibility, you have to dump out plays that you can't rely on people playing out- of- position to execute. If you dump out too many plays, then you simplify your offense enough that the defense can read it. If that happens, you're screwed.

Not saying we can't use the no- huddle, mind you. We have and will continue to do so. I'm just saying that it can blow up on us if we aren't careful about it.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2013, 09:21 PM
I hear ya, but that's not the kind of "flexible" I'm talking about.

Running a no- huddle means that you're eliminating the ability to substitute players. Theirs *and* yours. There's no "power" set, no "hands" set, etc. So individual players have to be able to fulfill multiple roles, usually out of the same look. A RB has to be able to run, or act as a WR, or pass protect, or even lead block. And this goes for every player on the field. Each player needs to wear several hats, because you can't replace them.
This necessitates that your playbook be abbreviated, because each individual player needs to know exactly what they're supposed to be doing while taking over the job of several players.

No- huddle is a gamble and tradeoff, just like everything else in this game. When it works, it works well. When it doesn't, you give up T.O.P for nothing and end up losing games you could've won. The important thing to remember is that it's not just about the QB being able to manage it, but also the other 10 guys being able to execute it.

As our situation stands now, our line isn't coordinated and adept enough to be reliable in this situation. Too many injury substitutions. They're getting there, but not yet. They need to be able to pass protect, make holes, *and* lead block. More importantly, they need enough time in their position to know what they're expected to do on any given play.

We got past Detroit with that because they weren't expecting it, but that won't last. When you have weaknesses in flexibility, you have to dump out plays that you can't rely on people playing out- of- position to execute. If you dump out too many plays, then you simplify your offense enough that the defense can read it. If that happens, you're screwed.

Not saying we can't use the no- huddle, mind you. We have and will continue to do so. I'm just saying that it can blow up on us if we aren't careful about it.

gotcha , but the 0 still can make substitutions in the no huddle , the D just does not ...

their is a difference in no huddle and hurry up ......

I suspect you are talking more about " hurry up "

but its all good , at least you are getting more involved in this section of the forum :)

GoSlash27
11-21-2013, 10:07 PM
gotcha , but the 0 still can make substitutions in the no huddle , the D just does not ...

their is a difference in no huddle and hurry up ......

I suspect you are talking more about " hurry up "

but its all good , at least you are getting more involved in this section of the forum :)

Actually, not so much. The rules don't require it, but if the O makes a sub during no huddle, the refs will stand over the ball, giving the D enough time to make subs also.
My point is just that having a QB who can manage no- huddle (which Ben clearly can) doesn't automatically mean that it will produce. There's more to it than that.
It's a tool (to be used when it fits), but it's not a magic solution to an ailing offense.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2013, 10:11 PM
My point is just that having a QB who can manage no- huddle (which Ben clearly can) doesn't automatically mean that it will produce. There's more to it than that.
It's a tool (to be used when it fits), but it's not a magic solution to an ailing offense.

agreed ....

zulater
11-24-2013, 10:31 AM
http://regressing.deadspin.com/charts-who-are-the-best-deep-passers-in-the-nfl-1469917039/@kylenw