PDA

View Full Version : No-huddle worked to perfection vs. Detroit

zulater
11-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Through three offensive coordinators over 10 seasons, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has begged to use the no-huddle offense more often.

All three declined. Oh, they let him run it here and there, sometimes to such great success that it put at least one Super Bowl ring on everyone’s finger.

In the end, though, Ken Whisenhunt, Bruce Arians and now Todd Haley just weren’t willing to cede all of the control, all of the play-calling to their quarterback.

They all had their public reasons, too. Whisenhunt had a young Roethlisberger who wasn’t quite ready. Arians preferred to use it to change the tempo of a game, often when his team fell behind. Haley has had to deal with young players and injuries everywhere.

Yet, there was the no-huddle again, popping up right from the start of the game Sunday at Heinz Field, and it tore apart a good Detroit Lions defense for a 37-27 victory.

Every Steelers series featured some no-huddle plays, sometimes all of them. Some no-huddle plays were not recorded as such because of timeouts, penalties, replay reviews, official timeouts, etc. In the NFL’s official play-by-play of the game, however, 33 of the Steelers’ 73 snaps came without a huddle.

Those plays produced 238 of Roethlisberger’s 362 yards passing, two direct touchdowns and one indirect (an official measurement prompted a huddle). All three field goals also came after heavy no-huddle use on those three series.

And, if it matters, 23 of the Steelers’ meager 40 yards rushing came on no-huddle calls.

Only days after the NFL Network claimed that Roethlisberger was no Peyton Manning, he did a pretty good impression of him.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/19/On-the-Steelers-No-huddle-worked-to-perfection-vs-Detroit/stories/201311190020#ixzz2l5wVgjhZ

- - - Updated - - -

Read the entire article, not just what has been pasted.

zulater
11-19-2013, 06:51 AM
In other words it only took 10 games for this coaching staff to figure out what best suits the talent at hand. :doh:

Texasteel
11-19-2013, 07:13 AM
In other words it only took 10 games for this coaching staff to figure out what best suits the talent at hand. :doh:

Only 10 games to figure out that Whimper was a OG, that Adams was not a LT, that hitting your own OC at the knees without a backup was a bad idea, that finding a TE that could block besides Miller might be usesful, and that Ben plays better when calling his own plays. All in only their second year. I'm impressed.

zulater
11-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Only 10 games to figure out that Whimper was a OG, that Adams was not a LT, that hitting your own OC at the knees without a backup was a bad idea, that finding a TE that could block besides Miller might be usesful, and that Ben plays better when calling his own plays. All in only their second year. I'm impressed.

In fairness they did with Spaeth. But he got hurt. Regardless Paulson is a waste of a roster spot. Not only can't he block, outside of Ike Taylor he has the worst hands on the team. And besides that he has no athletic ability whatsoever. I know Ben didn't throw a great pass into the end zone to Paulson this past game. But after watching that play multiple times I couldn't help but think that just about any other NFL tight end would have made an adjustment to the ball ( it was more lob than fastball) and would have got hands on the pass. He looked as un-athletic as my late grandma.

tube517
11-19-2013, 08:21 AM
In fairness they did with Spaeth. But he got hurt. Regardless Paulson is a waste of a roster spot. Not only can't he block, outside of Ike Taylor he has the worst hands on the team. And besides that he has no athletic ability whatsoever. I know Ben didn't throw a great pass into the end zone to Paulson this past game. But after watching that play multiple times I couldn't help but think that just about any other NFL tight end would have made an adjustment to the ball ( it was more lob than fastball) and would have got hands on the pass. He looked as un-athletic as my late grandma.

Yep.
Rocky Bleier jumped 2 inches higher than Paulson for a more meaningful TD in a Super Bowl. Paulson looked like he was in quicksand.

NCSteeler
11-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I'd run it till it doesn't work, but for up tempo to work you gotta be putting points on the board. If you start 3 and outing, it's a mess.

Steeldude
11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Roethlisberger admitted after the game that the offensive plays were not all his doing at the line of scrimmage but rather he and other players and coaches scripting plays on the sideline and then making adjustments at the line of scrimmage

Head coach Mike Tomlin was also asked about the no-huddle play-calling after the game, but his answer wasn't as straight forward as Miller's. "It depends on the circumstance," said Tomlin. "Obviously we have player to coach communication and it's available to us, and we utilize it, but it's usually a mix and match of several people."...

Steelman
11-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Roethlisberger admitted after the game that the offensive plays were not all his doing at the line of scrimmage but rather he and other players and coaches scripting plays on the sideline and then making adjustments at the line of scrimmage

Head coach Mike Tomlin was also asked about the no-huddle play-calling after the game, but his answer wasn't as straight forward as Miller's. "It depends on the circumstance," said Tomlin. "Obviously we have player to coach communication and it's available to us, and we utilize it, but it's usually a mix and match of several people."

Regardless of who's calling what, and even if they're scripting plays on the sideline, I think the best part about this whole thing is that they're doing it with what's going on in the moment. What is working/not working. What is the defense giving us right now, which guys have their match-ups working better, etc. I've seen too much trying to force-feed some gameplan that was obviously outdated by the time the first offensive series was over.

To me, that's the best thing out of this Detroit game. Offense by adjustment. I can only hope that the coaching staff, running game aside, really saw how effective it was in keeping Ben upright and the offense on the field.

st33lersguy
11-19-2013, 01:48 PM
This should have been done starting against Tennessee

ALLD
11-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Improving the efficiency of the O has been the achilles heel of this team for many years now. It might be gimmicky, but run it until it doesn't work. Another facet would be to improve red zone efficiency and score TDs instead of FGs.