PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro's Total Domination of Suh

katmandu
11-18-2013, 06:49 AM
DeCastro was very impressive yesterday in his play against Baby Suh!

Here's a very good read about his performance!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/11/17/colin-dunlap-decastros-domination-of-suh-was-epic/#.Uom4v7r1UeE.gmail

stillers4me
11-18-2013, 07:09 AM
:applaudit: This is very good news, indeedy! With DeCastro living up to his 1st round status and Fernando making everybody forget about the loss of what's his name, the oline seems to be getting better every week.

Take a good gander at this.......and see why Ben enjoyed such a fantastic day!

http://www.gifti.me/i/UNWLTBwSF.gif

steelerdiva
11-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Yep...Suh was a definite non-factor in the game. DeCastro did a great job.

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2013, 10:14 AM
if we miraculously manage to keep pouncey and velasco....watch out world. That interior line will be clean for good.

and then of course gilbert, beachum, and adams will give up 50 sacks a season to make up for the difference :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
How's about Whimper? What you guys think about his play at LG? I didn't watch him like I should have.

Steelman
11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Gotta say, I wasn't able to catch the game until after the half, and when I also pulled up the box score I was shocked to see zero sacks (one came a little later) and Suh's name nowhere to be found. Almost thought I'd pulled up the wrong box score.

Definitely a great game by DeCastro, but quite possibly the best pass-blocking game by the O-line in recent memory. (obviously the run game still needs work)

If DeCastro can continue developing, it will go a LONG way to neutralizing the big NT's and DT's that are in the AFC North and the AFC in general.

I don't think Bicknell is the answer, but I do agree with him that this line isn't far away from being competent. We're really only a NFL-caliber LT away from being good enough. Which maybe is pretty far now that I think about it. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2013, 11:24 AM
How's about Whimper? What you guys think about his play at LG? I didn't watch him like I should have.

he got shat on by nick fairley the entire game. probably the biggest reason for the lack of a running game against the lions

ALLD
11-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Getting rid of the ball and running NH kept the Lions' D on their heels too. It was a combination of factors, not to mention accurate passing and few drive killing drops. Ben was cool too, looking at the highlights.

katmandu
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
he got shat on by nick fairley the entire game. probably the biggest reason for the lack of a running game against the lions...but he didn't allow any sacks so that is a very good thing for Abdullah!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep...Suh was a definite non-factor in the game. DeCastro did a great job......BUT!

ProFootball Focus gave DeCastro a -3.1 Rating...... which BTW is the SAME Rating they gave Whimper !

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/11/cameron-heyward-kelvin-beachum-pff-game-grades-lions-week-11/

Had PFF lost some credibility here ?

tube517
11-18-2013, 08:26 PM
...but he didn't allow any sacks so that is a very good thing for Abdullah!

- - - Updated - - -

.....BUT!

ProFootball Focus gave DeCastro a -3.1 Rating...... which BTW is the SAME Rating they gave Whimper !

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/11/cameron-heyward-kelvin-beachum-pff-game-grades-lions-week-11/

Had PFF lost some credibility here ?

Bust! :chuckle:

Seven
11-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Suh has always been a bit overrated in my opinion. Not trying to take anything away from DeCastro or Velasco, but I'm really not that surprised here.

Mistah Q
11-19-2013, 08:16 AM
DeCastro is too good to not be playing LG

NCSteeler
11-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Suh, only has 26 sacks in his career, that's about .5 sacks per game. He a beast in the middle, a run stopper, but he's not he sack master people think he is.

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Suh, only has 26 sacks in his career, that's about .5 sacks per game. He a beast in the middle, a run stopper, but he's not he sack master people think he is.

you do realize he's a defensive tackle? look at the names of defensive tackles that average more sacks per game. Impressive.

This is just my opinion but i dont feel like decastro moving from RG to LG is going to create some kind of magical improvement for the o-line just because this team likes to pull towards the right. I mean, we catered to where Decastro is most comfortable (RG, where he played all through college), and he's doing great. I recall Decastro was said to be great at pulling from his right guard position at stanford as well, so why not cater to him a little more? Lets have him pull from the right guard position and see how that goes.

Craic
11-23-2013, 02:59 AM
you do realize he's a defensive tackle? look at the names of defensive tackles that average more sacks per game. Impressive.

This is just my opinion but i dont feel like decastro moving from RG to LG is going to create some kind of magical improvement for the o-line just because this team likes to pull towards the right. I mean, we catered to where Decastro is most comfortable (RG, where he played all through college), and he's doing great. I recall Decastro was said to be great at pulling from his right guard position at stanford as well, so why not cater to him a little more? Lets have him pull from the right guard position and see how that goes.

We disagree often, but not here.

I think moving him would be foolish. We finally have someone playing at a good level at a position on the line. Let's keep him there and build around him, rather than shift him and screw up what we already have going.

BigNastyDefense
11-23-2013, 03:37 PM
We disagree often, but not here.

I think moving him would be foolish. We finally have someone playing at a good level at a position on the line. Let's keep him there and build around him, rather than shift him and screw up what we already have going.

I agree. I am glad that the Steelers catered to him and are letting him play RG. If that's where he's most comfortable and plays the best, keep him there. They can always find a guy who wants to play on the left side.

Craic
11-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I agree. I am glad that the Steelers catered to him and are letting him play RG. If that's where he's most comfortable and plays the best, keep him there. They can always find a guy who wants to play on the left side.

Said this somewhere else, but if we took a shot at Velasco at left guard and he pans out, we have the interior set for the next five-7 years—provided we resign Pouncey. I for one would love to finally be set there. Focus on our Tackles, and we'd finally be in a place to start extending Ben's career after the beating he's taken.

BigNastyDefense
11-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Said this somewhere else, but if we took a shot at Velasco at left guard and he pans out, we have the interior set for the next five-7 years—provided we resign Pouncey. I for one would love to finally be set there. Focus on our Tackles, and we'd finally be in a place to start extending Ben's career after the beating he's taken.

I would love that, however if Pouncey can't give us a full season of health next year, I don't think we sign him after his rookie deal is up. He's going to want a big payday, and I don't want to give it to him if he can't stay healthy. But if he can, then I would give it to him because I think the only center better than him would be Nick Mangold of the Jets.

Craic
11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
I would love that, however if Pouncey can't give us a full season of health next year, I don't think we sign him after his rookie deal is up. He's going to want a big payday, and I don't want to give it to him if he can't stay healthy. But if he can, then I would give it to him because I think the only center better than him would be Nick Mangold of the Jets.

I was conveniently forgetting the health issue :wink02: But you're right, that's a concern.

86WARD
11-23-2013, 04:26 PM
That would be the worst move possible putting Velasco at LG...lol. Velasco has been a good center. Keep him there. Put Pouncey at LG, keep DeCastro at RG and you have a solid interior and the wear and tear on Pouncey will be much less at the OG spot than it would be with him at C. If that was the interior, with Gilbert playing the way he is (very much improved over early season), Beachum has been solid. Brown is still under contract one more year and I don't think Adams is terrible for depth...

cold-hard-steel
11-23-2013, 10:20 PM
I really don't know what position of the bar stools you guys are sitting on , but the one i'm on i see the mach 5 getting stronger as they jell . This shit is coming together like it or not . Like it ? Cool . Don't like it ? Cool . Put your freakin seat belt on and enjoy the ride . I'm in it for the long ride . Oh i forgot to mention that i do have a variety of different bags of concrete and cement that will fit whatever size your feet may be , i am the " concrete cobbler " . We will be very happy to order an extra bag if you so desire . We also have anvils that comes with tie-ons if so needed. 24-7 allways open .