PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Salary cap

Dwinsgames
11-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Salary cap mod please fix typo in title

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/steelers-2014-salary-cap-situation-heading-into-the-2013-season/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/steelers-2014-salary-cap-situation-heading-into-the-2013-season/)

as it stands right now we are currently at 123.732,246 against the 2014 cap ( many suspect the cap will increase to nearly 130 mill in 2014 but to my knowledge that number has yet to be disclosed )

the problem is that is with just 40 guys under contract , that is a long ways from a 53 man roster .....

so we need to get 13 guys under contract with potentially just 7 million in spending over what we already have on the books ( that is not even including a practice squad ) and that is assuming the cap raises by that amount at the very least ....

Good Old Willie Colon still accounts for 4.3 mill of cap space in 2014 ...

oneforthetoe
11-18-2013, 12:40 AM
That's not a good situation, but iirc, it's not as bad as the last few years. If we extend Ben they may be able to lower his number. I don't think they will be able to rework his current contract anymore.

Steeldude
11-18-2013, 04:32 AM
That's not a good situation, but iirc, it's not as bad as the last few years. If we extend Ben they may be able to lower his number. I don't think they will be able to rework his current contract anymore.

They may need to cut some high priced veterans.

Woodley - If you cut him after 06/01/13 you will have $5,590,000 in dead money, but you gain $8,000,000 in cap room.

Taylor - Cutting him creates $4,942,404 in dead money. It frees up $7,000,000 in cap room.

Polamalu - Cutting him creates $2,637,500 in dead money. It frees up $8,250,000.

So if they choose to cut all 3 it is $13,169,904 in dead money. It frees up $23,250,000.

X-Terminator
11-18-2013, 08:57 PM

Woodley - If you cut him after 06/01/13 you will have $5,590,000 in dead money, but you gain $8,000,000 in cap room.

Taylor - Cutting him creates $4,942,404 in dead money. It frees up $7,000,000 in cap room.

Polamalu - Cutting him creates $2,637,500 in dead money. It frees up $8,250,000.

So if they choose to cut all 3 it is $13,169,904 in dead money. It frees up $23,250,000.

Only one of those has a chance of happening, and that's Taylor. They won't cut Woodley, even though they absolutely should. Cut Woodley and Taylor and save about $5.5 million in cap room. They will never have the balls to cut Troy.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
I doubt they cut Ike , he is on Old Man Rooneys speed dial they are buddies ..they may do something to reduce his contract numbers perhaps a new deal making the old one obsolete and lowing his numbers backloading it for years he will never see and letting him retire here at a bargain price ... but I do not see him getting cut / released /traded

Steeldude
11-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Only one of those has a chance of happening, and that's Taylor. They won't cut Woodley, even though they absolutely should. Cut Woodley and Taylor and save about $5.5 million in cap room. They will never have the balls to cut Troy.

Cutting Woodley and Taylor would free up $15,000,000 in cap room.

steelreserve
11-19-2013, 10:58 AM
That's a lot better shape than I thought we were in. I figured we'd be starting from $20 million over the cap again.

If we ever have a chance to get out from under the Woodley contract, I would take that in a second. In a half-second. Total waste of 10% of the salary cap.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Cutting Woodley and Taylor would free up $15,000,000 in cap room.

and put another 10 mill in the dead money pool towards the future ....

its like paying just the interest payment on your credit card

Steeldude
11-19-2013, 11:04 AM
and put another 10 mill in the dead money pool towards the future ....

its like paying just the interest payment on your credit card

Or keep them both to use up $25,532,404 of cap space. I believe the dead money would be gone by 2015, but I am not positive.

steelreserve
11-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Or keep them both to use up $25,532,404 of cap space. I believe the dead money would be gone by 2015, but I am not positive.

I think the way it works is if you cut them before June 1, you would take the entire dead money hit in 2014. If you cut them after June 1, it's spread out over 2014 and 2015. I don't think there's any way you can have dead money that lasts more than two years anymore.

edit: Although looking at it more closely, a June 1 cut doesn't mean the dead money is spread out evenly. The prorated bonus stays unchanged for the first year, and the entire remaining amount hits you in the second year. So while dumping Woodley would probably save money in 2014, the dead money for 2015 would probably be just atrocious.

Steeldude
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
I think the way it works is if you cut them before June 1, you would take the entire dead money hit in 2014. If you cut them after June 1, it's spread out over 2014 and 2015. I don't think there's any way you can have dead money that lasts more than two years anymore.

edit: Although looking at it more closely, a June 1 cut doesn't mean the dead money is spread out evenly. The prorated bonus stays unchanged for the first year, and the entire remaining amount hits you in the second year. So while dumping Woodley would probably save money in 2014, the dead money for 2015 would probably be just atrocious.

His signing bonus was $13,000,000. I am not sure, but I think that would be spread over the length of his contract(6 years).

steelreserve
11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
His signing bonus was $13,000,000. I am not sure, but I think that would be spread over the length of his contract(6 years).

Yeah, but every time we restructured his contract, which I believe is three times, we converted most of his base salary for that year into more signing bonus. So that's probably well over $20 million now. Some of which we've absorbed the hit for already, but I don't know how much.

My guess is that since he has three years left on this contract, whatever the 2014 number is, double that to get the 2015 dead money. So $5.6 million in 2014 and $11.2 million in dead money for 2015, which may prevent that from happening. Of course, both are less than what his cap hit is if we keep him, but that's a lot of money to be flushing down the toilet. Though one could argue that we're already flushing it down the toilet, and I would completely understand.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Yeah, but every time we restructured his contract, which I believe is three times, we converted most of his base salary for that year into more signing bonus. So that's probably well over $20 million now. Some of which we've absorbed the hit for already, but I don't know how much.

My guess is that since he has three years left on this contract, whatever the 2014 number is, double that to get the 2015 dead money. So $5.6 million in 2014 and $11.2 million in dead money for 2015, which may prevent that from happening. Of course, both are less than what his cap hit is if we keep him, but that's a lot of money to be flushing down the toilet. Though one could argue that we're already flushing it down the toilet, and I would completely understand.

its not just the cap hit in dead money you have to consider ....

you also have to replace the roster spot and if you are talking about a starter then the investment is yet another high round draft pick or a FA signing ....

In Woodleys case your looking at a huge dead money hit , then a Starter quality 3-4 OLB via FA ( those are slim pickens and come at inflated price tags ) or a 1st or second round pick at minimum ( and then until he learns you have lack of meaningful production )

sometimes you just have to eat what you cook because going out is even more costly ....

Exit James Harrison dead money hit and then reinvestment of a 1st round pick to replace him and production suffers .....

Steeltreal
11-19-2013, 01:01 PM
They should explore trade offers for Pouncey, who knows how well he can recover from his injuries.

steelreserve
11-19-2013, 02:32 PM
They should explore trade offers for Pouncey, who knows how well he can recover from his injuries.

Not just that, but I don't see any way in hell they can afford an extension for him. Not to mention my ordinary thoughts about paying in the neighborhood of $8M a year for an offensive lineman. Even if it's a LT or a Pro Bowl center, you just can't do it. Not in the salary cap age, and not with all our other problems.

Mojouw
11-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Not just that, but I don't see any way in hell they can afford an extension for him. Not to mention my ordinary thoughts about paying in the neighborhood of $8M a year for an offensive lineman. Even if it's a LT or a Pro Bowl center, you just can't do it. Not in the salary cap age, and not with all our other problems.

Maybe Pouncey won't be that bad to sign? Here is the contract details for the Vikings center -- first contract after a rookie deal for a highly regarded young center.

2/17/2011: Signed a six-year, $25.6 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. An annual $100,000 workout bonus is available in years three through six. 2013: $3.15 million, 2014: $3.65 million, 2015-2016: $4.65 million, 2017: Free Agent

Since SUllivan may in fact be better in Pouncey, I think the above is a decent model for a contract.

- - - Updated - - -

its not just the cap hit in dead money you have to consider ....

you also have to replace the roster spot and if you are talking about a starter then the investment is yet another high round draft pick or a FA signing ....

In Woodleys case your looking at a huge dead money hit , then a Starter quality 3-4 OLB via FA ( those are slim pickens and come at inflated price tags ) or a 1st or second round pick at minimum ( and then until he learns you have lack of meaningful production )

sometimes you just have to eat what you cook because going out is even more costly ....

Exit James Harrison dead money hit and then reinvestment of a 1st round pick to replace him and production suffers .....

Which was why the Jones pick was dumb. Worilds has 16 starts and 14 sacks. I'm sure some of those sacks came in games he didn't start but that is a far better rate than Jones. I do not care how complicated the scheme, etc. If you are drafted at 17th overall to rush the passer, you better show something that validates that. Jones has not. In fact, there is a bunch of chatter about moving him inside.

The Steelers should have passed on Jones at 17 and either traded down or picked up a player of need at another position.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Maybe Pouncey won't be that bad to sign? Here is the contract details for the Vikings center -- first contract after a rookie deal for a highly regarded young center.

2/17/2011: Signed a six-year, $25.6 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. An annual $100,000 workout bonus is available in years three through six. 2013: $3.15 million, 2014: $3.65 million, 2015-2016: $4.65 million, 2017: Free Agent

Since SUllivan may in fact be better in Pouncey, I think the above is a decent model for a contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Which was why the Jones pick was dumb. Worilds has 16 starts and 14 sacks. I'm sure some of those sacks came in games he didn't start but that is a far better rate than Jones. I do not care how complicated the scheme, etc. If you are drafted at 17th overall to rush the passer, you better show something that validates that. Jones has not. In fact, there is a bunch of chatter about moving him inside.

The Steelers should have passed on Jones at 17 and either traded down or picked up a player of need at another position.

I have not given up on Jones just yet and the talk of moving him inside is more out of need than anything else IMO

as for Pouncey he gets way more notoriety than Sully ( which should not matter but somehow always does )

but I suspect Pouncy will be after more this kind of deal ....

The New York Jets (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ)' two-time Pro Bowl (http://www.nfl.com/probowl) center became the highest-paid player at his position Tuesday, signing what league sources told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora is a seven-year, $55 million deal that includes $22.5 million guaranteed against injury

considering he is a 3 time pro bowler at age 24

steelreserve
11-19-2013, 07:13 PM

I'd definitely be glad to have him at that price, but it strikes me as super-cheap. I would guess the asking price is going to be almost double that, and remember, only one team has to be dumb enough to pay it. If that's the way it goes, no thanks; I'm happy with Velasco at a third of the cost.

steelerdude15
11-19-2013, 08:01 PM

None of the players mentioned will be cut. I don't see the team doing that.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Could you provide a link please?

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
I have not given up on Jones just yet and the talk of moving him inside is more out of need than anything else IMO

as for Pouncey he gets way more notoriety than Sully ( which should not matter but somehow always does )

but I suspect Pouncy will be after more this kind of deal ....

considering he is a 3 time pro bowler at age 24

a 3x All-Pro at that as well. i agree. were f*cked this year in free agency...again. And if we do manage to sign him.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL say goodbye to everybody else we can sign

Seven
11-19-2013, 09:52 PM

In my opinion the only cut that makes clear sense there is Troy. The dead money vs. production for Ike (and I know, he's played poorly) isn't worth it. Woodley is debatable, I'd probably lean towards cutting him.

Mojouw
11-20-2013, 05:13 PM
None of the players mentioned will be cut. I don't see the team doing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you provide a link please?

From Lolley's blog -- " Steelers should give serious consideration to keeping Jason Worilds at the end of this season and playing him at outside linebacker with LaMarr Woodley, with Jarvis Jones sliding to the inside.

Jones is a natural in zone coverage over the middle and could really be a force in the middle teamed with Lawrence Timmons on blitzes."

I've seen it a few other places. Simply speculation at this point. It would shore up a position and not mandate a draft pick (or at least a high one).