PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?! No, seriously.

steelreserve
11-17-2013, 11:13 PM
If you said we had a shot at the playoffs up to and after today's game, I would have said you were smoking crack. But what do you know, we're actually ONE GAME out of a wild-card spot, and pretty much everyone else competing for it sucks just as bad as we do. I am not even making this up:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

Plus, we have the tiebreaker over both teams who are a game ahead of us (Jets head-to-head, Dolphins by division record, although we still play them and if we're going to catch them, I assume that means we'd have to win that game). The two other 4-6 teams (Oakland and Tennessee) that have the tiebreaker over us play each other next week, so we automatically pass one of them if we don't screw up against Cleveland. On top of that, Tennessee has no quarterback, Oakland is probably going to lose a lot toward the end of the season based on who they play, and even if they win their winnable games against the Jets or Chargers, that also helps us.

What does this mean? Even though we've been absolutely breaking our necks to ruin any chance in hell of at the postseason, we've been getting every possible lucky break from the rest of the conference, and we haven't really noticed because all our attention has been on how bad our own team was/is playing. The playoff scenario for us basically looks like: Win the Dolphins game and finish at .500 and we're in. Am I smoking crack now?

Disclaimer: Yes, I know we have not been playing well by any stretch of the imagination. It just looks like if we don't screw up unbelievably, it is going to get handed to us anyway.

fansince'76
11-17-2013, 11:18 PM
I am just glad we're no longer sitting at dead last in the AFCN. That shit was embarrassing. I believe that distinction now belongs to Baltimore based on losing to us once already.

If we can take down Cleveland next week and then complete the season sweep of Baltimore on Thanksgiving to even our record up at 6-6 and Cincy stumbles in San Diego in two weeks coming off of their bye to fall to 7-5, who knows? However, there is literally no margin for error...every game from here on out is essentially a playoff game for us.

It truly is amazing that this team still even has a chance at this point after the 2-6 start. Although I still think there are too many things wrong with this team to make an extended run to finish 10-6 which is what I think it is going to take to have any real shot at a playoff spot, things are looking a hell of a lot better than they were two weeks ago.

Dwinsgames
11-17-2013, 11:18 PM
1 and done here we come ?

I will believe it when I see it LOL

X-Terminator
11-18-2013, 01:29 AM
9-7 takes the 2nd WC. Just a hunch. Which means the Steelers would have to go 5-1 to have a legitimate shot, and they must beat Cleveland and Baltimore. Possible? Of course. Likely? If you put a gun to my head, I'd have to say no. However, if by some chance they DO make the playoffs, Mike Tomlin should win Coach of the Year again.

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2013, 01:32 AM

most definitely if we make it :chuckle:

Mistah Q
11-18-2013, 01:57 AM
It would be a travesty if the team doesn't get the message that we need some organizational changes: Tomlin has been forced to react but we still have some serious line coaching issues. Right now all we're playing for is a worse draft spot, and to save the jobs of a couple guys like Bicknell - whose jobs don't need saving.

One and done? Maybe. It would be a miracle on par with the Pirates winning the Stanley Cup for us to take home a Conference Championship though.

I like what I've seen out of Wheaton so far. I'm still confounded about the Running Backs though... I like LeVeon Bell, but it's clear there are situations you don't run him in (i.e., up the middle on third and short...) Why are they still not giving the rock to Dwyer in that situation?

If we're going to do anything meaningful this season, Tomlin needs to let Dwyer out of the doghouse - LeBeau needs to be not allowed to use the prevent - and this O-line is going to have to keep improving.

steelreserve
11-18-2013, 02:18 AM
I really think 8-8 is going to be the second wild card ... and when you look at the other teams fighting for it, they're all going to have a hard time even making it to .500. It really is about which fuck-up team can get its act together enough to have a two-game winning streak, and then win one important game against one of the other teams in the race. Just having decent luck and not screwing up royally for a couple weeks will probably cut it. Not exactly the highest bar to clear.

Jets: 5-5 and could win or lose any one of the remaining 6. If they split the two games with the Dolphins, that would be great for us; we'd catch up to both and have the tiebreaker.
Dolphins: See above, but if they sweep the Jets, that would be better because we still play them and would catch up + get the tiebreaker if we won. Still have the Panthers and Patriots to play, plus us. Probably 8-8 or 7-9 assuming we win that game.
Raiders: 4-6 and I do not see them winning many more games. Cowboys, Chiefs, Broncos, probably all losses, plus the Titans game is going to put one or the other behind us. Probably a 7-9 or 6-10 team IMO.
Titans: 4-6 and have no QB. Really the only game I see them winning is Jacksonville and maybe one more.
Chargers: Behind us, play the Chiefs twice, Broncos, Bengals, Giants. Not gonna happen.
Ravens: Might get 3-4 more wins, but only pass us if we lose to them.
Browns: Give me a fucking break.

So yeah ... really, the important thing for us is to win the Baltimore and Miami games. Then we have two games against the Browns, and the remaining two (GB and Cincy) could really go either way.

Hell, at this rate, it might even be possible to catch the Bengals. I could see them losing all the rest of their games except the Vikings. Nobody's really very good in this division, and nobody's very good who's fighting for the wild card.

Count Steeler
11-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Steelers and Giants in the Super Bowl. First time 2 0-4 teams make it to the SB.

Edman
11-18-2013, 07:57 AM
I will quell any excitement until the Steelers actually make it to the dance. They're still 4-6 and all it takes is another loss to doom the season. Nice win, They have no room to pat themselves on the back especially after that putrid 2nd Quarter. If this team wants anything resembling a chance, they need to get back to work and soon. They strung two early wins in October and completely ruined that good mojo by getting whooped by the Raiders and Patriots and looking GODAWFUL doing so. Absolutely NO ROOM for back-patting with this team.

Cleveland and Baltimore coming up in the next 11 days, and you can be certain they will love to bury the Steelers. Cleveland is not a sure thing anymore, and Baltimore is Baltimore.

tube517
11-18-2013, 08:20 AM
One game at a time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
11-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I think the next two weeks is where the Steelers playoff hopes are ended. Road teams in AFC North divisional games are currently 0-7, plus I think we are going to see a repeat of the Oakland game with the Steelers coming off a big emotional home win then having to play on the road against a team gunning for them, then they go to Baltimore which I think will be desperate to snap their 2 game losing streak against the Steelers. Sorry to sound pessimistic but I see 4-8 after the two game road trip for a team that has been sub-spectacular on the road

Moose
11-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Are you kidding ? STILL playoff talks ? I think we need to average more than 1.5 yard rushing in our running game to even dream of a playoff. What NFL team get's anywhere with a 1 yd average, pathetic. And you know we can't count on Ben's passing game for 60 minutes. It was a great win Sunday against Detroit, but no back patting and wahoo's should be given. Still a long season left and the 'big' games are coming now ! Winning out is required. Just my opinion. Go Steelers

zulater
11-18-2013, 09:29 AM

I will believe it when I see it LOL

Yeah like every other 6th seed of recent memory. :sarcasm:

Look I get it , it's still an uphill struggle, and the Steelers have to improve in all areas to be taken seriously. But if they get there, win 5 of their last 6 or better, who the hell knows? And I'll still take it over a losing season anyday.

Steelman
11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Are you kidding ? STILL playoff talks ? I think we need to average more than 1 yard rushing in our running game to even dream of a playoff. What NFL team get's anywhere with a 1 yd average, pathetic.

I do agree, that the run game (or lack thereof) will be the downfall of this team, even if we did go on a tear and win the majority of our games down the back stretch.

Just glancing at the standings though, the 6th seed looks pretty wide open. Our saving grace might be that we beat the Jets, but we're behind Oakland and Tennessee, both early season losses. I think it's still a long shot, but it's nice to see the team playing better and beating a more quality team like the Lions. (did I just say that!?)

tihmtahm
11-18-2013, 09:42 AM
I think the next two weeks is where the Steelers playoff hopes are ended. Road teams in AFC North divisional games are currently 0-7, plus I think we are going to see a repeat of the Oakland game with the Steelers coming off a big emotional home win playing against an inferior team gunning for them, then they go to Baltimore which I think will be desperate to snap their 2 game losing streak against the Steelers. Sorry to sound pessimistic but I see 4-8 after the two game road trip for a team that has been sub-spectacular on the road

Detroit was not an inferior team. The Lions were favored to win that game. Not to mention they have Megatron. I was thrilled that the Steelers won, but I did not see it coming.

st33lersguy
11-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Detroit was not an inferior team. The Lions were favored to win that game. Not to mention they have Megatron. I was thrilled that the Steelers won, but I did not see it coming.

I reworded my comment, did not mean to call Detroit inferior

NCSteeler
11-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I will quell any excitement until the Steelers actually make it to the dance. They're still 4-6 and all it takes is another loss to doom the season. Nice win, They have no room to pat themselves on the back especially after that putrid 2nd Quarter. If this team wants anything resembling a chance, they need to get back to work and soon. They strung two early wins in October and completely ruined that good mojo by getting whooped by the Raiders and Patriots and looking GODAWFUL doing so. Absolutely NO ROOM for back-patting with this team.

Cleveland and Baltimore coming up in the next 11 days, and you can be certain they will love to bury the Steelers. Cleveland is not a sure thing anymore, and Baltimore is Baltimore.

Well said, completely agree. 1 nice quality come back win, no more no less.

Spike
11-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Have to beat the Browns and Ravens the next 2 games, get to .500 - then we'll talk

SteelerFanInStl
11-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Have to beat the Browns and Ravens the next 2 games, get to .500 - then we'll talk

I agree. It was a nice win but we've got a ways to go before talking about playoffs.

steelreserve
11-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Are you kidding ? STILL playoff talks ? I think we need to average more than 1.5 yard rushing in our running game to even dream of a playoff. What NFL team get's anywhere with a 1 yd average, pathetic. And you know we can't count on Ben's passing game for 60 minutes. It was a great win Sunday against Detroit, but no back patting and wahoo's should be given. Still a long season left and the 'big' games are coming now ! Winning out is required. Just my opinion. Go Steelers

Make no mistake about it. This playoff talk is not about the Steelers being good or that we have a lot to be proud of this year. It's about 7 or 8 other teams playing so crappy that they're practically handing it to us, and whoever manages to barely limp across the finish line will be the final playoff team. If we were in the NFC, we'd be toast long ago, but the AFC is a mess beyond the top 3 or 4 clubs.

Bottom line, whatever shape this team looks like it's in, there it is: We're one game out of the wild card, and the schedules of the other teams work in our favor. We will see ...

Craic
11-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Make no mistake about it. This playoff talk is not about the Steelers being good or that we have a lot to be proud of this year. It's about 7 or 8 other teams playing so crappy that they're practically handing it to us, and whoever manages to barely limp across the finish line will be the final playoff team. If we were in the NFC, we'd be toast long ago, but the AFC is a mess beyond the top 3 or 4 clubs.

Bottom line, whatever shape this team looks like it's in, there it is: We're one game out of the wild card, and the schedules of the other teams work in our favor. We will see ...
Don't buy it.

Every year, the sixth spot is usually won by a team that is 9-7 or 8-8. It has nothing to do with "crappy teams." It has to do with the fact that this team is AVERAGE in the NFL. We've been so accustomed to such high level play that this looks like it's bottom rung material. Our problem is that we don't play average, we play good, then horribly.

steel striker
11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
At this point I'd just like to see them get to 500 then we will see and, the way things are going anything is possible. Right now the browns got to be the focus!

ALLD
11-19-2013, 03:01 PM
We win 2 games in a row and it's playoffs. If we win 2 more in a row the talk will be Stairway to Seven.I think there is a better chance of icebergs in Miami than the Steelers going to the playoffs. Everybody is assuming that the trend will continue on an upward trend.

Mistah Q
11-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Just wait until the next loss. Mood in here will be a mix of depression and anger toward those who didn't think there was a chance in the first place.

Craic
11-20-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm kind of freaked out by the fact that we're in second place in the division and only a game out of first (provided we win from here on out). Sure, it's an iffy proposition at best, but if the Bengals lose to another team besides us, we actually control our playoff destiny.

That is just to strange for words.

Dwinsgames
11-20-2013, 05:42 PM
this team will give you JUST enough to keep you sucked in ... brace for the let down

steeldawg
11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I think Ben is pissed off by the recent reports about him and he is looking to light some teams up.

Craic
11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I think Ben is pissed off by the recent reports about him and he is looking to light some teams up.

So you're going with the, "Let's spread a couple rumors about Ben and piss him off to motivate him" angle. Yeah, I could see it going that way. :chuckle:

fansince'76
11-20-2013, 09:32 PM
So the Steelers are the team with the AFC sixth-seed hot potato this week?

Yes, but only because Pittsburgh has won two straight games, and Ben Roethlisberger had 367 passing yards and four touchdowns against the Detroit Lions. That being said, Cleveland could knock off Pittsburgh on Sunday, and we will be back at square one. The only division tougher to figure out is the NFC North (thanks, Lions).

Read more: Shutdown Corner Playoff Projection – Pittsburgh Steelers sneak into the postseason
(http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-corner-playoff-projection-pittsburgh-steelers-sneak-postseason-191917244--nfl.html)

st33lersguy
11-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Didn't we have this same discussion 4 weeks ago when we were 2-4, looked what happened then, 2 stinkers, 2-6, we are slotting Jake Matthews to the Steelers. Now that we won 2 in a row again, back to playoff talk, and I guarantee, if the Steelers lose to Cleveland and Baltimore, it's back to oh this team stinks they have too many problems.

steelreserve
11-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Just to be perfectly clear: IMO, this isn't about hope. This is about the inescapable truth that we are somehow only a game out at this point - which, to be honest, is shocking. If we play halfway decently, we have a legitimate chance at it. That is also a HUGE "if."

Seven
11-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Honestly, this year, I think 9-7 gets us in. The AFC is awful.

Psycho Ward 86
11-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Honestly, this year, I think 9-7 gets us in. The AFC is awful.

hell, maybe by some miracle some AFC wildcard team will be like pete carroll's first year with the seahawks. 7-9 and playoff bound :lol:. Cant forget they actually WON a playoff game against a far superior saints team as well.

false hope imo until we can prove that we can string together decent wins

Seven
11-21-2013, 01:19 AM
hell, maybe by some miracle some AFC wildcard team will be like pete carroll's first year with the seahawks. 7-9 and playoff bound :lol:. Cant forget they actually WON a playoff game against a far superior saints team as well.

false hope imo until we can prove that we can string together decent wins
Maybe, but with our upcoming schedule I don't think it's even possible to string together any "decent" wins, even if we win out. CLE, BAL, MIA, CIN, GB, CLE. Haha. All pretty mediocre teams, just like us.

steelreserve
11-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm thinking we make it as the #6 seed, just because no season would be complete without us having to play at least one road game in Denver. I can't believe they almost let that happen this year.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Maybe, but with our upcoming schedule I don't think it's even possible to string together any "decent" wins, even if we win out. CLE, BAL, MIA, CIN, GB, CLE. Haha. All pretty mediocre teams, just like us.

Cin - GB in back to back weeks If A-Rod is back in action would be considered decent at the very least ... thing is we need more than back to back wins to have any real shot IMO ... we dam near have to win out so a string of wins ( 4 games or more ) is needed ... I suppose if splitting hairs is your thing we could win against the Browns ( no sure thing ) and Balt , drop one to Miami and string together 3 more to end the season or something like that but we need 5 of 6 for any real shot ( sure mathematically less could work if the right games and other things happen ) but I prefer to control my own destiny not have to hope for help elsewhere

first things first though we have to beat the browns ...

all hope is not lost but its pretty slim hope IMO we just have not played well enough to have a lot of hope

Psycho Ward 86
11-21-2013, 01:21 PM
rodgers will be back to play against us. we'll be fucked for that one

Steelman
11-21-2013, 01:36 PM
rodgers will be back to play against us. we'll be fucked for that one

Yeah, but out of the two non-division games remaining, Miami is more of a must-win than Green Bay, so I could live with that.

steelreserve
11-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Eh. I haven't been that impressed with GB this year, even with Rodgers. They beat up on a few shit teams, but otherwise have been uninspiring. They're not as good as they were 2-3 years ago, and have a lot of the same problems that caused them to get their asses kicked in the playoffs last year.

Besides, if there's one game we can afford to lose, it's that one. Much more important to beat the Dolphins, and to not screw up in the games we're supposed to win.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Eh. I haven't been that impressed with GB this year, even with Rodgers. They beat up on a few shit teams, but otherwise have been uninspiring. They're not as good as they were 2-3 years ago, and have a lot of the same problems that caused them to get their asses kicked in the playoffs last year.

Besides, if there's one game we can afford to lose, it's that one. Much more important to beat the Dolphins, and to not screw up in the games we're supposed to win.

maybe so " theoretically " but I do not think Miami wins many more games thus is a non factor in the grand scheme of things . that being said I am not convinced we win enough games anyways ...

and GB provides far to many options for this Def to handle in the passing game without Lacy going ape shit on us and a healthy A-Rod won't miss those opportunities

Craic
11-21-2013, 03:31 PM
On the other side of things, we need for both Oakland and Tennessee to lose. Interestingly, they play each other this week. We play Miami in the future. So as of right now, the Jets have to lose a game, and the loser of next weeks match up has to lose a game, and we have to beat Miami for us to make the playoffs. Other than that, we just have to stay even with everyone. What's even more baffling, is that we have a very serious shot at entering the playoffs at the number 4 seed. If we beat Cincy in the next game and win both games against the Browns, plus the Ravens game, theres a VERY good chance we are the AFC Champs. Baltimore always plays them tough. San Diego is struggling, but they're capable of beating Cincy as well.

This is just one of those strange seasons.

steelreserve
11-21-2013, 04:07 PM
On the other side of things, we need for both Oakland and Tennessee to lose. Interestingly, they play each other this week. We play Miami in the future. So as of right now, the Jets have to lose a game, and the loser of next weeks match up has to lose a game, and we have to beat Miami for us to make the playoffs. Other than that, we just have to stay even with everyone. What's even more baffling, is that we have a very serious shot at entering the playoffs at the number 4 seed. If we beat Cincy in the next game and win both games against the Browns, plus the Ravens game, theres a VERY good chance we are the AFC Champs. Baltimore always plays them tough. San Diego is struggling, but they're capable of beating Cincy as well.

This is just one of those strange seasons.

Don't forget: Miami and the Jets still play each other twice, so you can pencil in two losses there. "On paper," that means we'd pass one of them or catch up to both, everything else being equal to today. I think we're better off if Miami sweeps that series, because if the Jets do, they theoretically control their own destiny and have a pretty easy remaining schedule if I remember right. Losing twice would put the Jets a game back of us, plus we'd have the tiebreaker.

I also think it's theoretically possible to catch Cincy, but wouldn't count on it. I don't think they're very good, but fact is they have a three-game lead and I also don't think we're that good that we won't drop at least a game or two. 8-8 is about the most reasonable finish we can hope for, which would make the wild card a real possibility given the bullshit teams competing against us for it ... but winning the division at 8-8 is a longshot at best.

Don't worry about the Raiders or the Titans. Whichever one of them doesn't lost this week, will lose a LOT later. The Titans have no QB, and the Raiders play KC twice and Denver. I think it's safe to say they're toast. Which really means it's us against three other teams: The Jets, Dolphins and Ravens.

Craic
11-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Don't forget: Miami and the Jets still play each other twice, so you can pencil in two losses there. "On paper," that means we'd pass one of them or catch up to both, everything else being equal to today. I think we're better off if Miami sweeps that series, because if the Jets do, they theoretically control their own destiny and have a pretty easy remaining schedule if I remember right. Losing twice would put the Jets a game back of us, plus we'd have the tiebreaker.

I also think it's theoretically possible to catch Cincy, but wouldn't count on it. I don't think they're very good, but fact is they have a three-game lead and I also don't think we're that good that we won't drop at least a game or two. 8-8 is about the most reasonable finish we can hope for, which would make the wild card a real possibility given the bullshit teams competing against us for it ... but winning the division at 8-8 is a longshot at best.

Don't worry about the Raiders or the Titans. Whichever one of them doesn't lost this week, will lose a LOT later. The Titans have no QB, and the Raiders play KC twice and Denver. I think it's safe to say they're toast. Which really means it's us against three other teams: The Jets, Dolphins and Ravens.

The only thing is, Cincy really doesn't have a three game lead.

They haven't had a bye week, which means, if we win in their bye week, they only have a two game lead. If we beat them, then they have a one game lead, and since they've lost in the division already, we'd have the tiebreaker. Thus, they just need to lose one game outside of the game against us. That's it. I think that'll happen. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that'll happen.

What's stopping us from being first in this division at the end of this year, starting from today, is our team. I just don't see us winning out the season.

zulater
11-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Pittsburgh wins tie break over NY Jets and San Diego based on best win percentage in conference games. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Miami (NY Jets wins tie break over Miami based on best win percentage in division games). Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Baltimore (Pittsburgh wins tie break over Baltimore based on head-to-head win percentage).
7 Baltimore 5 6 0 .455 2-2-0 5-4-0 .471 .418 Wins tie break over NY Jets and San Diego based on best win percentage in conference games. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Miami (NY Jets wins tie break over Miami based on best win percentage in division games).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

Woo Hoo we're in!!!!

:heh:

Mistah Q
11-24-2013, 04:56 PM
If there's going to be a playoff run I feel it has to go through GB. They have to be the favored team in that matchup but if the "football gods" are with us and we pull it off...

X-Terminator
11-24-2013, 05:14 PM
If Rodgers is still out then, I'd say they have a shot. They couldn't beat the 2-8 Vikings at home (yeah I know, the Steelers lost to them too). If he is back...more than likely they lose.

st33lersguy
11-24-2013, 05:16 PM
These next 2 weeks are huge! If we can win both, then we have a great shot, but if we lose one, then we go back to needing help

Dwinsgames
11-24-2013, 05:20 PM
If Rodgers is still out then, I'd say they have a shot. They couldn't beat the 2-8 Vikings at home (yeah I know, the Steelers lost to them too). If he is back...more than likely they lose.

The Pac played fairly well once they put the rusty Matt Flynn ( limited reps since rejoining them too ) in the game ( he only played a half ) he brought them back and took them to OT after being down ...

This will not be an easy game regardless to who is under center for the packers IMO ....

X-Terminator
11-24-2013, 05:23 PM
The Pac played fairly well once they put the rusty Matt Flynn ( limited reps since rejoining them too ) in the game ( he only played a half ) he brought them back and took them to OT after being down ...

This will not be an easy game regardless to who is under center for the packers IMO ....

Yep, can't deny anything you said here. Good pickup by the Pack.

zulater
11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Yep, can't deny anything you said here. Good pickup by the Pack.

Actually Flynn shows what sort of arrogance the Packers have. They left him out there on the market in order to keep playing Seneca Wallace. If they would have picked Flynn up when he first cleared waivers they'd probably have 2 more wins right now.

Dwinsgames
11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Actually Flynn shows what sort of arrogance the Packers have. They left him out there on the market in order to keep playing Seneca Wallace. If they would have picked Flynn up when he first cleared waivers they'd probably have 2 more wins right now.

sort of like leaving Dwyer on the streets and starting Redman

Godfather
11-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Right now, we can safely assume the AFC West runner up is the five seed. Winning the North is doable but a longshot. So ralistically, we're one of several teams fighting for the 6 seed.

Team..........Record / Div / AFC.......Remaining Opponents

STEELERS......5-6 / 2-1 / 4-4.........@BAL - MIA - CIN - @GB - CLE
Thumbtacks...5-6 / 0-3 / 4-4.........@IND - @DEN - ARI - @JAC- HOU
Ratbirds.........5-6 / 2-2 / 5-4.........PIT - MIN - @DET - NE - @CIN
Bolts............5-6 / 1-2 / 3-5..........CIN - NYG - @DEN - OAK - KC
Jets.............5-6 / 2-2 / 2-6..........MIA - OAK - @CAR - CLE - @MIA
Bullies..........5-6 / 0-2 / 4-3..........@NYJ - @PIT - NE - @BUF - NYJ

I didn't bother with the 4-7 teams. I only have the Rats in for informational purposes--we HAVE to beat them anyway since they break division ties first. If we lose either of the next two games we're toast. We'll be two games back (one game in the standings plus the tiebreaker). On the flip side, if we beat the ratbirds and bullies, we'll knock them out of contention.

The thumbtacks have a brutal schedule the next couple of weeks and should lose one of those games.

zulater
11-24-2013, 07:19 PM
sort of like leaving Dwyer on the streets and starting Redman

Yep, in my opinion that move cost us the season opener. :frusty:

NCSteeler
11-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Right now, we can safely assume the AFC West runner up is the five seed. Winning the North is doable but a longshot. So ralistically, we're one of several teams fighting for the 6 seed.

Team..........Record / Div / AFC.......Remaining Opponents

STEELERS......5-6 / 2-1 / 4-4.........@BAL - MIA - CIN - @GB - CLE
Thumbtacks...5-6 / 0-3 / 4-4.........@IND - @DEN - ARI - @JAC- HOU
Ratbirds.........5-6 / 2-2 / 5-4.........PIT - MIN - @DET - NE - @CIN
Bolts............5-6 / 1-2 / 3-5..........CIN - NYG - @DEN - OAK - KC
Jets.............5-6 / 2-2 / 2-6..........MIA - OAK - @CAR - CLE - @MIA
Bullies..........5-6 / 0-2 / 4-3..........@NYJ - @PIT - NE - @BUF - NYJ

I didn't bother with the 4-7 teams. I only have the Rats in for informational purposes--we HAVE to beat them anyway since they break division ties first. If we lose either of the next two games we're toast. We'll be two games back (one game in the standings plus the tiebreaker). On the flip side, if we beat the ratbirds and bullies, we'll knock them out of contention.

The thumbtacks have a brutal schedule the next couple of weeks and should lose one of those games.

Gonna need the thumbtacks to drop a couple, since they have the head to head

steelreserve
11-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Amazingly, we are tied for the #6 seed and have the tiebreaker over everyone except Tennessee, who I expect are going to take themselves out of contention soon by virtue of not being very good.

In other words, barring a miracle run by the Titans, we officially control our own destiny. That's almost impossible for me to believe given the way we started and the obvious issues we still have, but the competition continues to give us every possible break. Incredible.

Count Steeler
11-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Amazingly, we are tied for the #6 seed and have the tiebreaker over everyone except Tennessee, who I expect are going to take themselves out of contention soon by virtue of not being very good.

In other words, barring a miracle run by the Titans, we officially control our own destiny. That's almost impossible for me to believe given the way we started and the obvious issues we still have, but the competition continues to give us every possible break. Incredible.

Pinch me, I must be dreaming. But you are having the same dream.

Godfather
11-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Gonna need the thumbtacks to drop a couple, since they have the head to head

Not just the head to head on us...they've beaten three of the 5-6 teams. That gives them a sweep in the event of a logjam.

We need the bullies to do well. If they get into the logjam, that head to head sweep goes away.

GoSlash27
11-24-2013, 09:20 PM
"Thumbtacks", "Bullies"...
/hard keepin' up with these nicknames...

Randy06
11-24-2013, 10:00 PM
I am just gonna take it week by week fellas.

Texasteel
11-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Well, we did get a lot of help today.

Psycho Ward 86
11-24-2013, 11:59 PM
"Thumbtacks", "Bullies"...
/hard keepin' up with these nicknames...

i second that. who the fuck are the thumbtacks? jesus, all of these intentionally insulting team nicknames arent even good

fansince'76
11-25-2013, 12:02 AM
"Thumbtacks" I get, since the Titans' logo looks like a flying/flaming thumbtack, but who the hell are the "Bullies?"

X-Terminator
11-25-2013, 12:31 AM
"Thumbtacks" I get, since the Titans' logo looks like a flying/flaming thumbtack, but who the hell are the "Bullies?"

The Dolphins. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out, though.

fansince'76
11-25-2013, 12:35 AM
The Dolphins. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out, though.

Ah, so obvious - I'm kicking myself for not figuring that one out. Could call them the "Butterfingers" as well. :chuckle:

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/walldrop.gif

steelreserve
11-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Ah, I didn't get the Bullies either. That one's good, though.

You know another funny thing - for the space of a few hours, we were actually in sole possession of the second wild-card spot. At least until the Titans-Raiders game ended and one of them got a win. I guess we could've still been in 6th if they tied. Which did happen on Sunday, just wrong game.

Craic
11-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Ah, so obvious - I'm kicking myself for not figuring that one out. Could call them the "Butterfingers" as well. :chuckle:

For a bit there, I thought it was the "Bullies' because after this play, most of the Dolphin fans were probably seeing red. :chuckle: Now I get it.

Count Steeler
11-25-2013, 04:58 AM

One trick pony. Can't jump and catch at the same time.

/Nor should he be expected to. He was wide open, the QB threw a bad ball. If the QB put it on his fingers, without Wallace having to adjust or leave his feet, he would have caught it. /steeldawg defense.

NCSteeler
11-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Now here's the bad news....Most of the time a Tomlin coached team that controls their own destiny, fails. Here's to hoping coach is improving.

fansince'76
11-25-2013, 08:25 AM
One trick pony. Can't jump and catch at the same time.

/Nor should he be expected to. He was wide open, the QB threw a bad ball. If the QB put it on his fingers, without Wallace having to adjust or leave his feet, he would have caught it. /steeldawg defense.

Yes. Every pass has to hit him in the hands in stride. He's getting paid way too much for every pass to not be perfect! :chuckle:

And another thing, at the risk of seeming clueless and out-of-sorts, when did the Dolphins change from their old "Flipper" logo? (Shows how much attention I pay to the Dolphins.)

Iron Steeler
11-25-2013, 11:29 AM
I agree it seems like he is pist about that rumor and making teams pay for it. Whatever it is the offense seems to be responding to Ben very well... Ironically after the nfl phony reports came out . Thanks Ian rapraport ! We needed an kick in the ass

steelreserve
11-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Yes. Every pass has to hit him in the hands in stride. He's getting paid way too much for every pass to not be perfect! :chuckle:

And another thing, at the risk of seeming clueless and out-of-sorts, when did the Dolphins change from their old "Flipper" logo? (Shows how much attention I pay to the Dolphins.)

They did that this offseason. You even posted in the thread about it. Gettin' a little senile there, gramps?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/16956-Miami-Dolphins-New-Logo?p=366557&viewfull=1#post366557

fansince'76
11-25-2013, 04:21 PM
They did that this offseason. You even posted in the thread about it. Gettin' a little senile there, gramps?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/16956-Miami-Dolphins-New-Logo?p=366557&viewfull=1#post366557

http://todaysnuttyjoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/hearing.jpg

Eh? Shpeak up there, Shonny!

Now, where did I leave my partial? :old:

:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
11-25-2013, 07:12 PM
i have no idea why people are writing off the titans, who currently hold the 6th wildcard spot if the season ended today. because they have no quarterback now that locker is out? ryan fitzpatrick has been good enough to be considered at least a respectable threat in the latter part of his career. he's had a qb rating of 109 or over for 3 games straight while throwing the ball A LOT.

this dude had us beat in OT a couple of years ago if not for a drop on a perfectly thrown bomb to stevie johnson. and that was one shitty ass team.

NCSteeler
11-25-2013, 08:53 PM
i have no idea why people are writing off the titans, who currently hold the 6th wildcard spot if the season ended today. because they have no quarterback now that locker is out? ryan fitzpatrick has been good enough to be considered at least a respectable threat in the latter part of his career. he's had a qb rating of 109 or over for 3 games straight while throwing the ball A LOT.

this dude had us beat in OT a couple of years ago if not for a drop on a perfectly thrown bomb to stevie johnson. and that was one shitty ass team.

I think there is no way they win in Denver and there is a strong chance they lose to AZ. I think they win the rest.

Mistah Q
11-25-2013, 11:58 PM
I hope we put on a prolific offensive show the rest of the season but miss the playoffs at 8 - 8.

That should be about right to show us that Velasco belongs, Pouncey and Woodley are expendable, and LeBeau can retire with some dignity, but poor enough for us to sit down and deal with some of the cap issues and make a couple organizational changes where needed.

Craic
11-26-2013, 04:13 AM
I hope we put on a prolific offensive show the rest of the season but miss the playoffs at 8 - 8.

That should be about right to show us that Velasco belongs, Pouncey and Woodley are expendable, and LeBeau can retire with some dignity, but poor enough for us to sit down and deal with some of the cap issues and make a couple organizational changes where needed.

That makes no sense at all.

1. The cap issues were planned. It didn't creep up on them.
2. Why would LeBeau retire? He probably has another 5-7 years left in him.
3. Organizational changes? Like what? Even at 8-8, there's very little change that'll happen, except maybe Haley leaving.
4. If this season has proven ANYTHING, it's that we need TWO very good centers. Why, after the three or so years we went with such horrible center play, would you be willing to give up Pouncey? Bad mistake, IMO. If he asks for too much money, that's a different ballgame. But to simply walk away from him is pretty stupid, IMO.
5. Woodley is not "expendable." At least, not from a cap standpoint. He's going to be around for a while so we might as well get used to it.

Mistah Q
11-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Of course the cap issues were planned. It might have worked too had a couple more of our linemen panned out. Instead we got some bad breaks, both with players working out, and having to restructure contracts into looming nightmares, to make room to sign others because of injuries. If we have a team that's showing promise in certain areas, I think that gives us a bit more leeway to sit down and work out some relief.

LeBeau is going to be 77 at the beginning of next season. It's not unthinkable that someone could coach into their 80s but right now we have Butler champing at the bit - we got him to stick around on the premise that he's next but I don't think he waits around forever. It's a good time for a transition IMO especially if there's a window for LeBeau to retire with some dignity.

Haley going is probably one of the worst moves we could make, and that's why I'm hoping for a strong offensive finish. Bicknell on the other hand... we really have some talent evaluation, conditioning, and line coaching problems on this team. It's tempting to put the blame on Colbert, but Colbert has been consistently lauded for great drafts full of steals... who just never tend to work out when it comes to players in the trenches. Every team has its injuries to deal with but we also suffer a disproportionate number of injuries in drills, practice, etc. I think we have to do something about our line coaching and our conditioning.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where Pouncey is both happy to be the backup, and amenable to signing a contract making backup salary. If you want to argue that he should be our starting Left Guard and serve as the emergency backup Center I can buy that (though I'd rather look for a real left guard in the draft), but getting handed his old job back from Velasco should not happen, and I don't think Pouncey would be amenable to being relegated to backup duty.

Woodley, at the very least, should be playing on the other side from now on, and have to earn his time over Jarvis there. Worilds IMO is coming into his own and has earned the right to stay right where he is. We may be stuck with him as a roster member because of his contract but by no means should he be starting anymore "because he's LaMarr Woodley".

steelreserve
11-26-2013, 04:56 AM
That makes no sense at all.

1. The cap issues were planned. It didn't creep up on them.
2. Why would LeBeau retire? He probably has another 5-7 years left in him.
3. Organizational changes? Like what? Even at 8-8, there's very little change that'll happen, except maybe Haley leaving.
4. If this season has proven ANYTHING, it's that we need TWO very good centers. Why, after the three or so years we went with such horrible center play, would you be willing to give up Pouncey? Bad mistake, IMO. If he asks for too much money, that's a different ballgame. But to simply walk away from him is pretty stupid, IMO.
5. Woodley is not "expendable." At least, not from a cap standpoint. He's going to be around for a while so we might as well get used to it.

You drunk, dude. I don't think even if we manage to limp into the playoffs, the guys in the owner's box will be under any illusion that yippee, we had a great year because the team is headed in the right direction overall. I'm not talking about Art Rooney II; I'm talking about the VCs and private equity fund principals that actually own most of the franchise and look at it like a no-bullshit investment in an out-of-town company that they're not even necessarily fans of. That's what upper management is. In pro sports, people buy into the first positive-looking opportunity that comes up; Some Seattle guy tries to buy the Kings, and Steelers guys buy the Browns. This team is no different from that, except for a 32% stake by the people who used to own it. Barring a miracle run to the Super Bowl, I do not think the guys really in charge will appreciate the return on investment of a team that went from solid contender to longshot dark horse to possible long-term rebuilding project, even if they barely scraped together a C- this year. Sure, it'd be a kick for the fans, but being on that path is not good for the resale value and I don't think it'll go unnoticed.

It's pretty apparent that without a change in the way of doing business - not just coaching, but contracts, cap management, and long-term thinking - this team is not going anywhere. In fact, despite the illusion of being acceptable, we could very well fall into a money trap and squander the last few years of the franchise QB's career. I don't think anything is off the table this offseason except the QB position, and if I had to predict what happens, it's that Haley, Kahn, Clark, Taylor, Sanders and Pouncey are gone; we hang on to Woodley for one more year and still get nothing impressive and then he's gone for cap money; Polamalu retires next year or comes back on a $1M extension, and hopefully, we clear the decks by 2015. Maybe one last shot when Ben is 34 or 35. That's what's going on there.

zulater
11-26-2013, 07:13 AM
You drunk, dude. I don't think even if we manage to limp into the playoffs, the guys in the owner's box will be under any illusion that yippee, we had a great year because the team is headed in the right direction overall. I'm not talking about Art Rooney II; I'm talking about the VCs and private equity fund principals that actually own most of the franchise and look at it like a no-bullshit investment in an out-of-town company that they're not even necessarily fans of. That's what upper management is. In pro sports, people buy into the first positive-looking opportunity that comes up; Some Seattle guy tries to buy the Kings, and Steelers guys buy the Browns. This team is no different from that, except for a 32% stake by the people who used to own it. Barring a miracle run to the Super Bowl, I do not think the guys really in charge will appreciate the return on investment of a team that went from solid contender to longshot dark horse to possible long-term rebuilding project, even if they barely scraped together a C- this year. Sure, it'd be a kick for the fans, but being on that path is not good for the resale value and I don't think it'll go unnoticed.

It's pretty apparent that without a change in the way of doing business - not just coaching, but contracts, cap management, and long-term thinking - this team is not going anywhere. In fact, despite the illusion of being acceptable, we could very well fall into a money trap and squander the last few years of the franchise QB's career. I don't think anything is off the table this offseason except the QB position, and if I had to predict what happens, it's that Haley, Kahn, Clark, Taylor, Sanders and Pouncey are gone; we hang on to Woodley for one more year and still get nothing impressive and then he's gone for cap money; Polamalu retires next year or comes back on a $1M extension, and hopefully, we clear the decks by 2015. Maybe one last shot when Ben is 34 or 35. That's what's going on there.

I'm guess I'm drunk too. Because I think if you could somehow restart the season today the Steelers would easily qualify for the playoffs.

Going forward there's much to be optimistic about. You figure the ILB position that caused so many problems early this season should be in better shape. The O-line is rounding into form and likely wont be such a problem next year. Cam Heyward is getting better and better. Leveon Bell is figuring things out.

Yeah I understand there's going to be roster upheaval, questions about keeping or allowing Sanders and Hood to walk. Keislel, and Troy etc... But that's true of every team, and has been true of this team most every year.

If we go into next season with a stable and effective offensive line the rest will work itself out.

Psycho Ward 86
11-26-2013, 09:22 AM
LOL.

"If" he asks for too much money.

uhhh. cant do much better than being a 3 time All-pro your first 3 years in the league?

steelreserve
11-26-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm guess I'm drunk too. Because I think if you could somehow restart the season today the Steelers would easily qualify for the playoffs.

Going forward there's much to be optimistic about. You figure the ILB position that caused so many problems early this season should be in better shape. The O-line is rounding into form and likely wont be such a problem next year. Cam Heyward is getting better and better. Leveon Bell is figuring things out.

Yeah I understand there's going to be roster upheaval, questions about keeping or allowing Sanders and Hood to walk. Keislel, and Troy etc... But that's true of every team, and has been true of this team most every year.

If we go into next season with a stable and effective offensive line the rest will work itself out.

Yeah, the previous tirade notwithstanding, there are lots of positives on this team - IF we can figure a way out of certain major problems, which is no gimme.

First, the salary-cap problems need to be taken care of, or we will forever be trying to plug holes in a crumbling wall, and constantly losing the plugs because all the rookies that are any good get away after 3 years. Second, the player-development issues that I've kept pointing out, especially along the OL and DL, need to change. We go through this same discussion about the OL every year and end up back in the same place, which in my mind is a coaching issue. Third, in order to be seriously successful 3-4 years out, we really need to start adjusting our schemes to fit the best players we can get, not adjusting our drafts/players to fit a fixed scheme. Yes, I'm talking about the 3-4. If we can get the right players for it, then fine, but if we keep overreaching for players at scarce positions, it'll kill us. Also, if we keep drafting DEs who would make better 4-3 DTs, and LBs who would make better 4-3 DEs, we ought to consider using them how they're most effective, rather than force them into new roles and half of them fail - or if we don't want to have a flexible scheme, then draft other players.

I don't think the hole we're in is purely financial or talent; there's a draft issue - we have two or three missing classes from recently - and possibly coaching/FO as well. We can still be competitive for a while, but "righting the ship" in the long term is going to take a bit more work.

Craic
11-26-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't think the hole we're in is purely financial or talent; there's a draft issue - we have two or three missing classes from recently - and possibly coaching/FO as well. We can still be competitive for a while, but "righting the ship" in the long term is going to take a bit more work.

And that's what where I disagree with you, "Righting the ship" as you say. You seem to think that the problems stem from failure. Failure at the level of coaching, failure at the level of ownership, failure from planning for the future, failure at drafting.

I don't believe that (whole-heartedly). As I've said before, there was a single, driven strategy to keep the SB window extended with the team that we had. By doing that, we pushed salary cap issues into the future for the express reason of obtaining another ring or two. We kept veteran players in positions that normally, younger guys would have been playing and learning before we had to put a lot of young players on the field at the same time. We drafted players, but my guess is that we let some players go because there was no need for them on this team do to the veterans we were keeping. Did we whiff on some draft picks? Yep. But this idea, which amounts to this team being half a step from becoming the Browns, is laughable.

In short, sit down, relax, barrow from the Asian culture and take the long view. That's what our FO and coaching staff has done. They knew the mountain they were on, knowing that by staying on it longer, the valley would get deeper, but there's no reason to suspect that "hole" we're in wasn't already seen and accounted for. Now it's just a matter of buckling up and going through it.

On another note, and I've said this before as well, I agree with you that there's a coaching issue in player development. I do NOT like how Tomlin seems to ruin players when they run into a little bit of trouble on the field. There was a time when a RB would fumble the football, and the coaches would purposefully call a run play for him on the very next offensive play when they got back on the field, in order to help the RB forget what happened. Tomlin instead likes to make his players sit on the bench and stew over it for a few quarters, and then acts surprised when the player can't seem to get over it. Stupid, in my opinion.

Craic
11-26-2013, 04:18 PM

No, no, and no.

1. Limp into the playoffs? We have an excellent chance of entering the playoffs as the fourth seed, and possibility of entering the playoffs as the third seed. I know, I know, they aren't the "crush the other team with dominant defense" Steelers anymore. And? Are we really going to complain that this team, at this point in time, is playing average football? Seriously? And yes, they are tied for 16th in the league, which means they are exactly average.

2. You're pretty far off on the VCs and private equity principals. They could care less about winning. Absolutely care less. ALL they care about is the bottom line. So what's the bottom line? This team's operating income (or net income before interest, taxes, etc, but including salaries) was 28.3 million, last year, or 16th in the league. It is a very well established and national fanbase that has been solid throughout many up and down seasons. The stadium is a sellout crowd and will be for years to come due to season tickets (actual attendance doesn't matter in comparison, except for concessions). So, no, this point has little basis in reality, imo.

3. Change in business? Not even. See previous post about WHY we are where we are.

Psycho Ward 86
11-26-2013, 06:35 PM
No, no, and no.

1. Limp into the playoffs? We have an excellent chance of entering the playoffs as the fourth seed, and possibility of entering the playoffs as the third seed. I know, I know, they aren't the "crush the other team with dominant defense" Steelers anymore. And? Are we really going to complain that this team, at this point in time, is playing average football? Seriously? And yes, they are tied for 16th in the league, which means they are exactly average.

2. You're pretty far off on the VCs and private equity principals. They could care less about winning. Absolutely care less. ALL they care about is the bottom line. So what's the bottom line? This team's operating income (or net income before interest, taxes, etc, but including salaries) was 28.3 million, last year, or 16th in the league. It is a very well established and national fanbase that has been solid throughout many up and down seasons. The stadium is a sellout crowd and will be for years to come due to season tickets (actual attendance doesn't matter in comparison, except for concessions). So, no, this point has little basis in reality, imo.

3. Change in business? Not even. See previous post about WHY we are where we are.

you need to slow down on the expectations. we beat 2 crappy teams and one good one and you think we could be the 3rd seed? wow. we started out 0-4 for a reason. most of those reasons are still on the team, and most of the rest have only dissipated for a couple games. you take winning for granted

zulater
11-26-2013, 06:44 PM
you need to slow down on the expectations. we beat 2 crappy teams and one good one and you think we could be the 3rd seed? wow. we started out 0-4 for a reason. most of those reasons are still on the team, and most of the rest have only dissipated for a couple games. you take winning for granted

Why? This might be as high as the ride goes this year, so might as well enjoy relevance while it's here. :lol:

Dwinsgames
11-26-2013, 06:45 PM
LOL.

"If" he asks for too much money.

uhhh. cant do much better than being a 3 time All-pro your first 3 years in the league?

I agree 110% its not IF.... Its when but by then its to late to deal him for anything meaningful and you get stuck the next year with a supplemental pick in the draft at the end of the 3rd round ...

whereas in the off season he probably garners you a second and perhaps an additional 5th or 6th ( maybe even more dependent on his medical ) because then teams have a full season of his services to work out an extension

Count Steeler
11-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I agree 110% its not IF.... Its when but by then its to late to deal him for anything meaningful and you get stuck the next year with a supplemental pick in the draft at the end of the 3rd round ...

whereas in the off season he probably garners you a second and perhaps an additional 5th or 6th ( maybe even more dependent on his medical ) because then teams have a full season of his services to work out an extension

What would the franchise tag be on a Center?

Dwinsgames
11-26-2013, 06:58 PM
What would the franchise tag be on a Center?

2013 numbers it will be more in 2015 when he would be a FA I would guess probably closer to what Guard is now...

as a side note I find it interesting RT is less than Guard

Position

Salary

Left Tackle

$10,970,000

Right Tackle

$6,400,000

Guard

$8,020,000

Center

$6,990,000

Count Steeler
11-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I guess a lot also depends on how the cap moves or if it stays stagnant.

It would be nice to lock Pouncey down, but not at a back breaking price, especially because of his injury woes. Mind you this year was unavoidable because of the stupid cut/chop block Bicknell tried to implement. Karma is a bitch.

Dwinsgames
11-26-2013, 08:36 PM
I guess a lot also depends on how the cap moves or if it stays stagnant.

It would be nice to lock Pouncey down, but not at a back breaking price, especially because of his injury woes. Mind you this year was unavoidable because of the stupid cut/chop block Bicknell tried to implement. Karma is a bitch.

all of his injuries ( if memory serves ) where leg related ... fragile or just coincidence ? who knows

Mistah Q
11-26-2013, 08:38 PM
I don't think you can justify locking down Pouncey at Center for what he's going to want, especially given his knack for taking injuries at the position. Injuries that haven't been his fault really but the pattern is still there. We almost have to go forward with Velasco.

So I think the legitimate question becomes do we see him as a long term solution at LG? That might well be ideal, because if Velasco does get hurt Pouncey can switch over and we put someone like Foster back at Guard again. I'm open to the idea, but can we make it happen, and are we better served trying to trade his value while there's still value to trade? It's tough to say.

I'm against majority opinion here in that I think we'd be well served to play DeCastro at LG, but if the team is committed to DeCastro at RG long term you have to at least explore that option - being at guard will mitigate some of his future injury risk too. But would he be happy with that?

Count Steeler
11-26-2013, 08:40 PM
all of his injuries ( if memory serves ) where leg related ... fragile or just coincidence ? who knows

Yeah, that's what I remember as well. Shame he missed his first SB because of the high ankle sprain. Wonder if he would have made a difference in that game.

GoSlash27
11-26-2013, 08:43 PM

I disagree.
This team had a long laundry list of problems at the beginning of the season. We all knew what they were and we've all watched this team fix those problems one at a time.
Granted, this ain't the best team in the NFL this year, but neither is it the same team that went 0-4.
If we make the playoffs, I'd say it's a helluva turnaround from the beginning of the season and a positive sign going into next year.
I say we ride this pig and see where it takes us.

steelreserve
11-27-2013, 12:20 PM
No, no, and no.

My point about the ownership and VCs, is that they're in it for the franchise valuation. Yearly profits are irrelevant; it's a rounding error to them. For a $28M operating profit on the amount of money tied up in a pro sports franchise, that's almost nothing; you'd be way better off investing it somewhere else. The point is to buy a team for $600 million and sell it for $1.6 billion.

What helps you do that? Having a WELL-RUN organization with widespread, passionate support - in other words, a lot of people who are interested in your product. Of course, the Steelers will always have a bit of a leg up on that second component, but let's not fool ourselves that they're completely immune to people losing interest. Look at a team like the Raiders if you have any doubt. They've got some of the most hardcore fans around, but you do poorly and give off the impression you're on the wrong track, and anything can happen. I would guess that most of "Steeler Nation" outside of Pittsburgh consists of people other than the hardcore supporters, and they're plenty willing to find other things to do with their time if things are going meh. I mean, look at the national interest in the team compared with, say, 2008, when they were coming off a championship and it was cool to like them, and they were the national game one out of three times. Being that kind of team is worth a couple hundred million at least; otherwise, the only thing helping increase your team's value is rising with the tide of the league overall.

Take a look at the list of most valuable franchises from last year: http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/

Is it any coincidence that all but a couple of the top-valued franchises are good teams that made the playoffs, and that the couple of exceptions are big-market teams with new stadiums who have also tended to be good most years recently? Or that the lowest-valued franchises are ones like the Raiders, Rams, Bills and Jaguars? If you're buying a team, you want a popular one that's on the right track, not a project investment that's going to take 10 years to break even on. Immediate wins and losses might not have a lot to do with the value, but sustained success or at least competitiveness has everything to do with it.

Do I think this team is actually on a track to go into a Raiders-like funk for 10 years? No, it's nowhere near that bad. Could it get that bad if we make bad decisions instead of good ones over the next couple of seasons? Absolutely. That's why it is absolutely in the best interest of the "real" owners to make sure they have competent people in there who have the team on the right track, or can at least make the fans believe they are. You say the current situation is a result of a calculated gamble to extend the championship window - which it is - but if we're STILL doing things that indicate we're in win-now-at-all-costs mode, like the yearly Woodley salary cap fiasco? Give me a break. The championship window ended; time to move on and start getting your shit together.

86WARD
11-28-2013, 06:07 AM
I think tonight's game is a big indicator of which way this team will go...win and they continue their roll. Lose and they fall.

zulater
11-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I think tonight's game is a big indicator of which way this team will go...win and they continue their roll. Lose and they fall.

Good chance you're right, but it's possible the Steelers could survive a loss tonight if they win out afterwards.

Nadroj 20
11-28-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm glad they will have a longer break between games. If they win, sometimes this kind of game can drain you physically and emotionally because of how big a game it is. They give it their all and then get completely drained and have a let down the following game. Has happened in sports before and will continue to happen.

I think they will be alright though and will have the playoffs in their sight if they get the W tonight.

Texasteel
11-28-2013, 10:11 AM
I am a little suspect of this game. Can the staff have this team ready in such a short span of time?

steeldawg
11-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Actually I like the the short week for this team right now, we have a lot of momentum and I think a holiday break would of actually hurt us.

steelreserve
11-28-2013, 01:26 PM
I am a little suspect of this game. Can the staff have this team ready in such a short span of time?

Well, the Ravens are dealing with the exact same thing, so ... who knows. Got to treat it like any other lucky or unlucky break.

Texasteel
11-28-2013, 02:14 PM
I just think back to how well they were prepared for London. Even at that time this team was not as bad as they looked.

Craic
11-28-2013, 06:23 PM

Sigh. There's so many problems with this post I don't know where to start... from your inability to do math to relearning vocabulary and the difference between "Possible" " good chance" and "expectations." Of course, then there's the whole idea of actually looking up the schedule to find that we play the the Ravens today and the Browns one more time, both teams we've already beat. Miami is very beatable by this team. That leaves Cincy, who we almost beat. That leaves Green Bay. If they get Aaron Rodgers back, that may be a tough game. Even so, they may or may not be able to pull out a win.

So yeah, we have a good chance to win outright. We still have our problems, but we're not playing New England, KC, or the Broncos. That doesn't mean we will. We need Ben to continue to perform at his top level, we need to go without injury from this point on, and we need our defense to continue to create turnovers (since they aren't able to stop teams like before on downs, we're back to depending on turnovers instead).

tl;dr, you need to slow down on criticizing a post until you at least understand the math (very mathematically possible) and have read it right (here, www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) might help), then check the schedule to realize that I actually may be right.

st33lersguy
11-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Don't talk about playoffs. It ain't happening. If we get back into contention this team will do everything in their power to ensure a loss by 3 points or less.

fansince'76
11-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Don't talk about playoffs. It ain't happening.

At this point, I'm inclined to agree. I still hope they win out, though.

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Sigh. There's so many problems with this post I don't know where to start... from your inability to do math to relearning vocabulary and the difference between "Possible" " good chance" and "expectations." Of course, then there's the whole idea of actually looking up the schedule to find that we play the the Ravens today and the Browns one more time, both teams we've already beat. Miami is very beatable by this team. That leaves Cincy, who we almost beat. That leaves Green Bay. If they get Aaron Rodgers back, that may be a tough game. Even so, they may or may not be able to pull out a win.

So yeah, we have a good chance to win outright. We still have our problems, but we're not playing New England, KC, or the Broncos. That doesn't mean we will. We need Ben to continue to perform at his top level, we need to go without injury from this point on, and we need our defense to continue to create turnovers (since they aren't able to stop teams like before on downs, we're back to depending on turnovers instead).

tl;dr, you need to slow down on criticizing a post until you at least understand the math (very mathematically possible) and have read it right (here, www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) might help), then check the schedule to realize that I actually may be right.

i read everything just fine

Mistah Q
11-29-2013, 12:14 AM
For the rest of the season I'm not hoping for wins nor losses. I'm hoping for Sanders to be benched, for rookies and backups to play so we see what we've got to work with,

If any wins come out of it that's just gravy but we can't leave any stone unturned in seeing whether any of these guys buried in our roster are diamonds in the rough.

Edman
11-29-2013, 10:11 AM
I think last night should quiet any postseason talk.

86WARD
11-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Good chance you're right, but it's possible the Steelers could survive a loss tonight if they win out afterwards.

Do you honestly believe they will win out? I don't. They may go 8-8...which is better than I thought they would...just enough to screw up the draft slot.

SteelerFanInStl
11-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Do you honestly believe they will win out? I don't. They may go 8-8...which is better than I thought they would...just enough to screw up the draft slot.

Agreed. All that an 8-8 record will do is give them false hope and keep them from making the necessary changes.

Craic
11-29-2013, 02:45 PM
i read everything just fine
No, you don't, if you thought my post was about expectations vs. possibilities.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, I'm inclined to agree. I still hope they win out, though.

I agree. I think we'll end up missing them by a game or so. Last night's game was crucial and I think it took the wind out of the sails of this team.

st33lersguy
11-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Agreed. All that an 8-8 record will do is give them false hope and keep them from making the necessary changes.

Yep. 7-9 or 8-8, not enough to make the playoffs but enough to screw us out of a top 10 draft pick, one of the top tackles which this team desperately, and not enough to spark the necessary changes this team needs to get back on track

zulater
12-01-2013, 06:28 PM
The Chargers and Titans lost today. So that works to the Steelers favor. We play Miami next week, so if we win that we'll only be chasing the Ravens for the 2nd Wildcard lead.

Count Steeler
12-01-2013, 06:52 PM
The Chargers and Titans lost today. So that works to the Steelers favor. We play Miami next week, so if we win that we'll only be chasing the Ravens for the 2nd Wildcard lead.

Boggles the mind, doesn't it? It is too bad we have to rework our O Line, AGAIN! Who knows, though, 8-8 just might to it.

Godfather
12-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Michael Oher is going to be a free agent. That can take care of one of the tackle positions.

Count Steeler
12-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Michael Oher is going to be a free agent. That can take care of one of the tackle positions.

He should have at least 5 flags per game for moving early. I am shocked that the refs called him as much as they did on Thursday. However, they did not get all of them.

Godfather
12-01-2013, 08:01 PM
The strange thing is nobody seems to want that 6th playoff spot. Hard to believe that all we have to do is take care of business the last four games and get help from one of Baltimore's opponents.

st33lersguy
12-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Boggles the mind, doesn't it? It is too bad we have to rework our O Line, AGAIN! Who knows, though, 8-8 just might to it.

With this group of guys, with a messed up O-line, 8-8 ain't happening

zulater
12-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Looks like the plan is to start Cody Wallace at center. That's good in that it keeps Beachum at left tackle. So if Wallace can play ok and grasps the no huddle then things might not be as bad as we originally thought.

If Cody gets the job done we're going to beat Miami. Then you go a week at a time from there. But this much I promise. The Ravens have at least one loss left in their remaining schedule.

steelreserve
12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
For the 6th playoff spot, we're really in the same situation as we were going into last week, only the Ravens have changed places with the Jets, and winning the division is pretty much out of the question. Our overall chances and the work we have to do remain about the same. I think the other opponents in the race have more games coming up against each other this week too, which will help.

The hard part is going to be winning the rest of our games, or only losing once, which was also the hard part before this.

Spike
12-06-2013, 01:08 AM
I think last night should quiet any postseason talk.

we're shooting up the draft board

Current 2014 NFL Draft order:

1. Houston Texans - 2-10 (.552)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - 3-9 (.505)
3. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins) - 3-9 (.521)
4. Atlanta Falcons - 3-9 (.552)
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 3-9 (.578)
6. Minnesota Vikings - 3-8-1 (.537)
7. Cleveland Browns - 4-8 (.505)
8. Oakland Raiders - 4-8 (.510)
9. Buffalo Bills - 4-8 (.516)
10. Pittsburgh Steelers - 5-7 (.479)

Craic
12-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Actually, the game this week to watch other than ours, is the Colts/Baltimore game. If the Colts win, for some inexplicable reason, we still control our fate for the last seed in the playoffs. It gets even more interesting with Baltimore and the Bengals playing each other in the last game of the season.

st33lersguy
12-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Actually, the game this week to watch other than ours, is the Colts/Baltimore game. If the Colts win, for some inexplicable reason, we still control our fate for the last seed in the playoffs. It gets even more interesting with Baltimore and the Bengals playing each other in the last game of the season.

The Colts play the Bengals, Baltimore plays the Vikings

one side only
12-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I think the Steelers get in as the 6th seed at 8-8. New England and Denver both finish 13-3 with New England getting the first seed. Indy 3, Cincy 4, K.C. 5.

NFC
1. Seattle
2. Carolina
3. Philly
4. Detroit
5. New Orleans
6. San Francisco

Dwinsgames
12-06-2013, 09:30 AM
just not sure how you even get to 8-8 when your second best healthy O-lineman

looks like this

http://www.turnstylegates.com/sites/default/files/email%20list.jpeg
and the rest look even worse

one side only
12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Ben has been sacked less lately . . . I think this week will be a lot like the Detroit game. Miami's offensive line isn't so great either. They lose at GB with a healthy Rodgers playing, but I think they pull off the upset of Cincy and take care of the Browns at home.

Godfather
12-08-2013, 04:39 PM
http://meghanh4.edublogs.org/files/2010/11/toast-rzgyaq-300x199.jpg

:banghead:

steeldawg
12-08-2013, 04:40 PM
close the thread

XxKnightxX
12-08-2013, 04:41 PM
close the thread

Right with ya. close the shop down. This season is dunzo.

Edman
12-09-2013, 08:14 AM
NOW can we finally shut up about the Postseason?

vader29
12-09-2013, 09:59 AM
If we win out and the Rats, Titans and Dolphins lose out I believe we're in, so there is still a chance! :tt02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

steelreserve
12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
If we win out and the Rats, Titans and Dolphins lose out I believe we're in, so there is still a chance! :tt02:

Just watch. They'll all do that, and then we'll beat the Bengals and packers, then lose to the Browns in the last game. At least one key player will suffer a torn ACL.

Spike
12-09-2013, 11:41 AM
we're solidly in the Top 10

TEAMS W L T SOS
1 Houston Texans 2 11 0.538
2 St. Louis Rams (WAS) 3 10 0.538
3 Atlanta Falcons 3 10 0.559
4 Minnesota Vikings 3 9 1 0.491
5 Oakland Raiders 4 9 0.473
6 Jacksonville Jaguars 4 9 0.503
7 Cleveland Browns 4 9 0.527
8 Buffalo Bills 4 9 0.533
9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 9 0.556
10 Pittsburgh Steelers 5 8 0.470

st33lersguy
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

Not happening

zulater
12-09-2013, 12:03 PM
This thread should not only be locked, it should be eradicated from the entire cyber world! As if it never existed. Just like the Steelers playoff hopes from the moment they lost the season opener to a mediocre Titan team.

tube517
12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Not happening

Obviously Vader was joking just to put up that classic movie clip :chuckle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

steelreserve
12-09-2013, 12:10 PM
we're solidly in the Top 10

TEAMS W L T SOS
1 Houston Texans 2 11 0.538
2 St. Louis Rams (WAS) 3 10 0.538
3 Atlanta Falcons 3 10 0.559
4 Minnesota Vikings 3 9 1 0.491
5 Oakland Raiders 4 9 0.473
6 Jacksonville Jaguars 4 9 0.503
7 Cleveland Browns 4 9 0.527
8 Buffalo Bills 4 9 0.533
9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 9 0.556
10 Pittsburgh Steelers 5 8 0.470

Well, at least looking at that is a little comforting ... the Browns and Raiders are supposed to be having a "good" year for them, and they'll both be lucky to go 6-10. Still, not the kind of company you want to keep.

Craic
12-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't know whether I should laugh or shake my head, but the Steelers STILL are in the playoff hunt. What it's predicated on, is the Ravens losing two of their next three, Dolphins losing next week, Jets winning next week, and then the Jets beating the Dolphins the following weeks. Of course, Steelers would have to win out.

Chances of that happening? Oh, my guess is 1 in 22,000. And we'd get thumped in the first round of the playoffs, unless we played the Bengals. But figured I'd put it up here just for something to do.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 11:09 AM
But figured I'd put it up here just for something to do.

mission accomplished

steelreserve
12-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure how it works, but for some reason, if everything else goes as you said and the Jets don't beat Cleveland next week, we're out and the Dolphins get the 6th spot. If they do beat Cleveland, we're still alive. Anyone know what's going on there?

Anyway. I'd say if we assume a 50-50 chance on each of those games, we have to have 5 games go our way, so that's 1 in 2x2x2x2x2, or 1 in 32. Bills beating the Dolphins is probably more like a 70-30 stretch, but that's countered by the fact that the Ravens can win once and we get a free one.

Yeah, still not very likely.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure how it works, but for some reason, if everything else goes as you said and the Jets don't beat Cleveland next week, we're out and the Dolphins get the 6th spot. If they do beat Cleveland, we're still alive. Anyone know what's going on there?

Anyway. I'd say if we assume a 50-50 chance on each of those games, we have to have 5 games go our way, so that's 1 in 2x2x2x2x2, or 1 in 32. Bills beating the Dolphins is probably more like a 70-30 stretch, but that's countered by the fact that the Ravens can win once and we get a free one.

Yeah, still not very likely.

I think we need to jets to equal the fish record ( that knocks the fish out via ties breakers with jets ) and then we surpass the jets via head to head ...provided everything else works according to plan ....

do me a favor , don't hold your breath

steelreserve
12-16-2013, 11:57 AM
I think we need to jets to equal the fish record ( that knocks the fish out via ties breakers with jets ) and then we surpass the jets via head to head ...provided everything else works according to plan ....

do me a favor , don't hold your breath

Yeah, but in that case, wouldn't the Dolphins still have the tiebreaker over us because they beat us head-to-head?

edit: Wait, I figured it out. Even if we finished 8-8, the Dolphins would win all tiebreakers over us - but if the Jets made it a three-way tie, the first tiebreaker is to eliminate any team that ranks below another in the same division. So the Dolphins would be eliminated before anything else, because they're in the same division as the Jets, which then renders their tiebeakers over us irrelevant.

I'm in no way so delusional that I think any of this will actually happen, by the way. I'm just interested by all the possible weird permutations. Most likely what happens is Miami beats the Bills next week, and then everything's over except whether or not Cincinnati can hang on to the division.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but in that case, wouldn't the Dolphins still have the tiebreaker over us because they beat us head-to-head?

edit: Wait, I figured it out. Even if we finished 8-8, the Dolphins would win all tiebreakers over us - but if the Jets made it a three-way tie, the first tiebreaker is to eliminate any team that ranks below another in the same division. So the Dolphins would be eliminated before anything else, because they're in the same division as the Jets, which then renders their tiebeakers over us irrelevant.

I'm in no way so delusional that I think any of this will actually happen, by the way. I'm just interested by all the possible weird permutations. Most likely what happens is Miami beats the Bills next week, and then everything's over except whether or not Cincinnati can hang on to the division.

bingo

vader29
12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Steelers believe as playoff hopes still exist

The Steelers playoff hopes are slim, but are still there.

It’s the time of year when magic happens, when dreams come true and wishes become reality.

For the Steelers, they could use a little bit of that magic, the type that permeates the classic holiday movie “Miracle on 34th Street.” Who knows, maybe there will be a “Miracle on South Water Street,” delivering the perfect holiday wish to the Steelers practice facility.

A 30-20 win over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday night has the Steelers still in the playoff hunt. Yes a lot needs to happen, a whole lot as a matter of fact. But, miracles do happen.

It all starts with the Steelers who must win their next two games - at Green Bay this Sunday and then Sunday, Dec. 29 against Cleveland at Heinz Field.

“You never know. First things first we have to win these games and see where it goes from there,” said defensive end Ziggy Hood. “If we can stay on the right path and get a little help from somebody, you never know.”

After that, well here is what needs to happen beyond the Steelers winning the next two.

Baltimore Ravens: Must lose two of their next three games – remaining schedule is tonight at Detroit, vs. New England, and at Cincinnati.

Miami Dolphins: Must lose both games – remaining schedule at Buffalo and vs. New York Jets.

San Diego Chargers: Must lose one game – remaining schedule vs. Oakland and vs. Kansas City.

New York Jets: Must win both games – remaining schedule vs. Cleveland and at Miami.

Read more: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-believe-as-playoff-hopes-still-exist/c2be91c2-d6ef-4e50-813b-632dabeb1335

zulater
12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
No way the Jets win both games.

steelreserve
12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
No way the Jets win both games.

Cleveland and Miami? They totally could. The one I'm thinking is most likely to put the nail in our coffin is Miami next week against Buffalo. Either that, or everything else goes our way and then we're counting on the Bengals in the last game, and they tank it.

Anyway ... if I were a betting man, I'd say Miami are the ones going to the playoffs. Which makes that game all the more painful.

blackngldblood
12-16-2013, 03:55 PM
So, in summary, the AFC stinks. It stinks bad.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Steelman
12-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Who woulda thought we'd be counting on Geno Smith for a shot at the playoffs? :pray: :rolleyes:

steeldawg
12-16-2013, 04:55 PM
So confusing

Craic
12-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Cleveland and Miami? They totally could. The one I'm thinking is most likely to put the nail in our coffin is Miami next week against Buffalo. Either that, or everything else goes our way and then we're counting on the Bengals in the last game, and they tank it.

Anyway ... if I were a betting man, I'd say Miami are the ones going to the playoffs. Which makes that game all the more painful.
Yeah, I think you're right. Leave it to the Ravens to screw us over. Then again, if the Ravens lose this week and next week, we won't have to worry about their final game.

Not that I really want to see this team in the playoffs. As much as I love the Steelers, I think it'd be embarrassing. Then again, they just might surprise.

Godfather
12-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Chargers losing is the least likely. Oakland is turrible and KC will be locked into the 5 spot going into the last game, so they'll just be looking to avoid injuries.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Chargers losing is the least likely. Oakland is turrible and KC will be locked into the 5 spot going into the last game, so they'll just be looking to avoid injuries.

not so sure about that ... they will be 12-3 heading into the final week ( provided they beat the Raiders ) , a Denver loss and a win away from jumping from 5th seed to 1st seed ....

steelreserve
12-16-2013, 10:39 PM

I don't think San Diego is very good. They already lost to the Raiders once, so either of those games could be a loss. I'm more worried about Miami; all they have to do is win 1 of 2 against some shitty teams and they're in. I can't believe Baltimore just hit a 61-yard FG to go ahead in the final minute either, but that just looks to set up the Bengals to choke us perfectly, in case the Dolphins don't win.

vader29
12-16-2013, 10:42 PM

GBMelBlount
12-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Flacco pulls it out in the clutch again. :lol:

st33lersguy
12-17-2013, 08:18 PM

If Pittsburgh was half as lucky as Baltimore, the Steelers would be in the playoffs this year

steelreserve
12-17-2013, 10:29 PM
If Pittsburgh was half as lucky as Baltimore, the Steelers would be in the playoffs this year

I would say even just if we were not UNlucky.

Although in some sense, all the other teams doofing it so hard and still giving us a chance probably counts as "luck" ...

steelreserve
12-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Crossing my fingers here but ... looks like both of the morning games that we are depending on are breaking our way headed into the 4th quarter. Jets up 7 over Cleveland, and (the big one) Buffalo beating Miami by 13. Our hopes may just live on into the afternoon.

Nadroj 20
12-22-2013, 02:34 PM
That's what I was thinking, but the browns are in the redzone for a chance to tie it up.

steelreserve
12-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I was afraid of that, but somehow they got stopped for a field goal. Jets just need to grind it out for another score and I think that one's going to go our way. Dolphins just got picked and are about to get scored on again, so that one's looking good.

Turning to the afternoon ... the one game that absolutely must go our way is the Ravens losing. Which means - and this makes my stomach turn - I have to root for a Patriots victory. Not even a tie would do it. I guess what I will hope for is a Patriots win combined with both QBs breaking their arms in a bitch-fight at midfield.

Nadroj 20
12-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Geno!

Yes, as much as it pains all of us we have to hope the Patriots win today. At least we want them to beat the Ravens, which is the only team I am OK with them beating.

steelreserve
12-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it's not pretty, but assuming that happens and we can pull off the win ourselves today (which is no guarantee), we'll actually be alive going into the final week. Which is incredible.

Nadroj 20
12-22-2013, 02:59 PM
True just have hope is something else. What I find crazy is seeing Miami completely choke today. Beat the Pats then lose to Buffalo? And lay a goose egg on the scoreboard?? Wow

steelreserve
12-22-2013, 03:05 PM
True just have hope is something else. What I find crazy is seeing Miami completely choke today. Beat the Pats then lose to Buffalo? And lay a goose egg on the scoreboard?? Wow

Yeah, they were really the ones in the driver's seat, because let's face it, if they were any good, their last two games should've been a cakewalk. Guess they showed what they were really made of today. And also really emphasize what a crapfest the race for the #6 spot is.

Wallace: 4 receptions, 38 yards.

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Thump thump. Thump thump.

Edman
12-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Miami falls.

Steelers still have to win, and Baltimore still has to lose too.

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Miami falls.

Steelers still have to win, and Baltimore still has to lose too.

We could have flatlined due to those 2 games. If Brady has anything to say about it and we don't choke away our Christmas gifts today, we still have a chance.

Of course, that would would screw certain peoples draft day dreams.

Dwinsgames
12-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Of course, that would would screw certain peoples draft day dreams.

at this point , we already screwed that up to some extent , a win or two more wont effect it that much unless we make the playoffs and go on a run then it is greatly effected but a lot has to happen just for that chance , will cross that bridge IF we come to it

Godfather
12-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Yes, as much as it pains all of us we have to hope the Patriots win today

:upchuck:

Where are the bad guys from "The Sum Of All Fears" when you need them?

steelreserve
12-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Well, it looks like Gay Brady is doing his job so far .. 17-0 and it's completely one-sided. 34 passing yards for Baltimore in the first half; they have more yards by way of penalty. Flacco is Elite.

Oakland might even do us a solid and knock off the Chargers.

All we've got to do is get our act together and win this game against a mediocre team with no QB. Should be simple, right?

Oh, wait, this is the 2013 Steelers we're talking about.

tube517
12-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Chargers will play against a KC team with nothing to gain next week.

Nadroj 20
12-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Steelers Win
Bengals Win vs Ravens
Jets Win vs Dolphins
Chiefs Win vs Chargers

None of those team are really playing for anything though.

Godfather
12-22-2013, 06:57 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what would happen the way things are going this year. We beat the Clowns, Jets beat the Fins, Bungholes beat the Ratbirds, and we're watching the KC-SD game. The Chiefs drop the ball and we just end up 8-8, out of the playoffs, and in the middle of the pack for a draft pick.

Edman
12-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Scenario.

Steelers Win.
Chiefs beat Chargers.
Bengals beat Ravens.
Jets beat Dolphins.

steeldawg
12-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Bengals have nothing to play for either

Psycho Ward 86
12-22-2013, 07:04 PM

and a chiefs team that is 2-4 against teams that are .500 or above at that.

ALLD
12-22-2013, 07:07 PM
I think it is really clever how coaching drew it up by sandbagging the entire season to finally get the team moving in Week 16. Simply brilliant.

steeldawg
12-22-2013, 07:16 PM
I think it is really clever how coaching drew it up by sandbagging the entire season to finally get the team moving in Week 16. Simply brilliant.

don't be fooled if the packers had Rodgers no way we win that game.

fansince'76
12-22-2013, 07:19 PM

And you know this...how?

GBMelBlount
12-22-2013, 07:20 PM

http://www.automizeit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/guinness-brilliant.jpeg

vader29
12-22-2013, 07:20 PM

http://rlv.zcache.com/candy_nuts_merry_christmas_humor_gift_postcard-r853d9cd74ad84c1bb85b202cf8a2170c_vgbaq_8byvr_512. jpg

steeldawg
12-22-2013, 07:24 PM
And you know this...how?

You really think the way our defense played we where going to stop AR, I sure don't.

fansince'76
12-22-2013, 07:26 PM
You really think the way our defense played we where going to stop AR, I sure don't.

Anybody see Seahawks losing to the Cards in their own backyard where they're supposedly "unbeatable" today? They play the games for a reason.

st33lersguy
12-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Scenario.

Steelers Win.
Chiefs beat Chargers.
Bengals beat Ravens.
Jets beat Dolphins.

This team is too unlucky for all of those scenarios to happen. We are going to end up 8-8 end up picking up in the bottom half of the first round probably either 18th or 19th and all the great prospects will be gone. They might as well just trade down and accumulate more picks in that scenario

tube517
12-22-2013, 07:51 PM
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1468567_10200435894419104_228966113_n.jpg :chuckle:

steelreserve
12-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Steelers Win
Bengals Win vs Ravens
Jets Win vs Dolphins
Chiefs Win vs Chargers

None of those team are really playing for anything though.

Actually ... the Ravens, Dolphins and Chargers all have something to play for, but their opponents don't. Assuming 50-50 on each game, it was about a 1-in-32 chance for everything to fall into place going into this weekend ... I'd say it's still about 1-in-32 after that, given the long odds that at least one of the teams we need to win won't decide to take it easy.

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Congratulations to the Cincinnati Bengals for clinching the AFCN championship. Now we have the pleasure of watching them lose a playoff game at home. Again. Who Dey!

:lol:

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1471104_480812492027718_2073223745_n.jpg

Delraich
12-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Living in Bengals country, I would not be surprised at all if they try and loose just to screw Pittsburgh. Going to work has been agonizing at times after the 0-4 start and it wouldn't have mattered how the Bungholes were doing.

steelreserve
12-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Living in Bengals country, I would not be surprised at all if they try and loose just to screw Pittsburgh. Going to work has been agonizing at times after the 0-4 start and it wouldn't have mattered how the Bungholes were doing.

Yeah, but the thing about that is, if they screw Pittsburgh, they help their other rival. I think they tank it just to tank it, because they're dumbasses who think taking it easy will help them the next week. Then they'll come out and get blown out in the wild-card game.

Edman
12-22-2013, 09:59 PM
The Bengals are locked in a dilemma.

Tank the last game to the Ravens, let them in the first round where they will potentially clobber them.

Beat the Ravens, give the Steelers a chance to let them in the first round where they potentially clobber them.

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 10:02 PM
The Bengals are locked in a dilemma.

Tank the last game to the Ravens, let them in the first round where they will potentially clobber them.

Beat the Ravens, give the Steelers a chance to let them in the first round where they potentially clobber them.

We are screwed. Trust me, they hate us way more than they hate the Rats.

Texasteel
12-22-2013, 10:12 PM
It may be a slim chance, but its a chance, and that is always better than no chance at all. No matter what some may say.

Texasteel
12-22-2013, 10:15 PM

We are screwed. Trust me, they hate us way more than they hate the Rats.

If Cincy had any guts at all they will do what ever they could just to play us again...... Never mind Sue, your right.

fansince'76
12-23-2013, 12:05 AM
It may be a slim chance, but its a chance, and that is always better than no chance at all. No matter what some may say.

It's amazing we even still have a chance at this point.

Devilsdancefloor
12-23-2013, 01:04 AM
It's amazing we even still have a chance at this point.

if you told me Oct 1 we would have a chance if the playoffs i would have told you to put the pipe down and slowly walk away from it!!

i think we have a chance at this rivers = choke tannihill is hurt and flacid is a statue due to his injury

st33lersguy
12-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Miami is going to clobber the Jets as the Jets are absolutely dreadful on the road. San Diego will beat a declining Chiefs team with nothing to play for. It's not happening.

fansince'76
12-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Miami is going to clobber the Jets as the Jets are absolutely dreadful on the road. San Diego will beat a declining Chiefs team with nothing to play for. It's not happening.

Yeah, there was no way Miami was gonna lose to Buffalo either.

Here's the thing - Rex Ryan is on his way out and his players by and large still like him (for whatever reason) and will likely play hard for him in his last game. On top of that Tannehill hurt his knee, his OL is even worse than ours and the Jets have a pretty decent pass rush.

Chiefs have nothing to play for? They've dropped 4 games out of their last 6, including 3 at home, and nobody wants to go into the playoffs on a 2-game skid. Further, they will be playing a division rival with a chance to knock them out of the playoffs.

Frankly, I'm more worried about the Bengals mailing it in next week just to keep us out than I am about the Jets and the Chiefs blowing it.

Yes, it's unlikely the Steelers make it, but I'm not going to sit here and declare it as an impossibility, either.

Edman
12-23-2013, 06:19 AM
People are underestimating the power of pride and rivalry games in the NFL.

Miami lost to a Buffalo team with absolutely nothing to play for just yesterday. The Jets are out of it, but they have a lot of pride in themselves and have nothing to lose. That didn't stop them from playing and beating down on the Browns.

Kansas City is going up against a rival that pretty much threw a wrench into their season. They don't want to go into the Playoffs on a skid. They're already in the playoffs and they have a chance to eliminate San Diego in their own stadium.

The snag is Bengals/Ravens. The Bengals have the 2nd seed to play for, and they're going up against a division rival that is also the Defending Super Bowl Champion. However, I agree with '76 and can see them tanking the game just to keep the Steelers out. The Bengals and Ravens don't like each other, but they both despise the Steelers even more. The Steelers are public enemy #1 in Cincinnati and Baltimore. Anything to keep them out? Even if it means getting swept by Baltimore? Sure thing.

The Bengals are gutless and have no pride. They'll blow it just to avoid the Steelers.

NCSteeler
12-23-2013, 08:50 AM
I do think KC has something to play for. What team wants to go into the post season on a 2 game skid. Second, I don't think the Bengals can afford to have a let down. Marvin knows his team has got to be in good mental shape moving forward. Heck who knows, it's a crap shoot. This will likely a the week the Jets get shutout and Miami scores 3 points to win it all.

vader29
12-23-2013, 09:04 AM
I can't see the Bengals with a chance at the number 2 seed and a bye in the first round tanking just to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs, they're really not that stupid are they?

ALLD
12-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Miami has a history of losing to the Jets. I remember during a final game under Cowher when coach played a back up QB and all the second and third stringers against the Bills. The Bills needed a win to make the playoffs. They lost.

NCSteeler
12-23-2013, 09:13 AM
I can't see the Bengals with a chance at the number 2 seed and a bye in the first round tanking just to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs, they're really not that stupid are they?

Pats would have to lose at home to Bills for Bengals to have a chance at that seed. Highly unlikely

vader29
12-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Pats would have to lose at home to Bills for Bengals to have a chance at that seed. Highly unlikely
Well that game is played after the Bengals/Ravens game and in the NFL nothing is a given.

SteelerFanInStl
12-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Yeah, there was no way Miami was gonna lose to Buffalo either.

Here's the thing - Rex Ryan is on his way out and his players by and large still like him (for whatever reason) and will likely play hard for him in his last game. On top of that Tannehill hurt his knee, his OL is even worse than ours and the Jets have a pretty decent pass rush.

Chiefs have nothing to play for? They've dropped 4 games out of their last 6, including 3 at home, and nobody wants to go into the playoffs on a 2-game skid. Further, they will be playing a division rival with a chance to knock them out of the playoffs.

Frankly, I'm more worried about the Bengals mailing it in next week just to keep us out than I am about the Jets and the Chiefs blowing it.

Yes, it's unlikely the Steelers make it, but I'm not going to sit here and declare it as an impossibility, either.

My thoughts exactly. The Bengals are really the only team that I think might mail it in. I think that the Jets and Chiefs will win for the reasons you stated.

steelreserve
12-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Oh, wow. I thought the Patriots were locked into the #2 seed with their win yesterday, but I guess that's wrong. The Bengals might actually be trying. So there is a faint hope.

vader29
12-23-2013, 10:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lufZRT854A

bendsteel
12-23-2013, 11:37 AM
I just heard that Tannehill got hurt yesterday, so maybe Miami will fall apart for us????

NCSteeler
12-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Well that game is played after the Bengals/Ravens game and in the NFL nothing is a given.

Didn't notice that. You're right they can't lay down and then have NE dump later.

Polamalu Princess
12-23-2013, 12:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lufZRT854A

That is too funny!

stillers4me
12-23-2013, 12:26 PM

dude needs glasses.......Actually, Ditka was the only one to pick the Pats*.

ALLD
12-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Somebody on the NFL Network on Sirius said the Chiefs were going to rest their starters. If they do that then I hope their bus crashes.

steel striker
12-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Well it was a long shot at best but, if the Chiefs do rest the starters it's pretty much over. Although you never know Rivers is not known for winning big games.

Nadroj 20
12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I know we can blame it on a lot more then just the Miami game, but if we win that all we need is a win this weekend and we'd be in even after starting 0-4.

Obviously if we didn't start 0-4 the Miami game wouldn't have mattered as much blah blah blah. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. But it is still crazy to think about literally being an inch from making the playoffs. That inch being Brown's foot out of bounds.

Oh well still have a shot regardless. It always seems like we have a shot at the very least.

SteelerFanInStl
12-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I know we can blame it on a lot more then just the Miami game, but if we win that all we need is a win this weekend and we'd be in even after starting 0-4.

Obviously if we didn't start 0-4 the Miami game wouldn't have mattered as much blah blah blah. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. But it is still crazy to think about literally being an inch from making the playoffs. That inch being Brown's foot out of bounds.

Oh well still have a shot regardless. It always seems like we have a shot at the very least.

Or the Baltimore game or the Oakland game or the Minnesota game.... We put ourselves in this situation.

MrPgh
12-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Somebody on the NFL Network on Sirius said the Chiefs were going to rest their starters. If they do that then I hope their bus crashes.

They're probably a one and done team anyways. They picked on bad teams early in their schedule. The good teams figured out that the Chiefs offense is mostly just Smith throwing screen passes to Charles and McCluster. That isn't going to cut it against the contending teams in the NFL.

steelreserve
12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Well, let's just hope the Chargers haven't figured that out.

Hell, maybe the Chiefs' backup QB is better than Smith anyway. We will find out.

SteelerFanInStl
12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
They're probably a one and done team anyways. They picked on bad teams early in their schedule. The good teams figured out that the Chiefs offense is mostly just Smith throwing screen passes to Charles and McCluster. That isn't going to cut it against the contending teams in the NFL.

Yep and I'll laugh when they lose. I've been telling Chiefs fans all year that all they've done is beat up on bad teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, let's just hope the Chargers haven't figured that out.

Hell, maybe the Chiefs' backup QB is better than Smith anyway. We will find out.

The Chargers already beat them once in KC. KC isn't going to beat them in SD without their starters and probably wouldn't have beaten them with their starters.

MrPgh
12-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Yep and I'll laugh when they lose. I've been telling Chiefs fans all year that all they've done is beat up on bad teams.

The sad thing is this is the kind of team some Steeler fans wanted when Haley was hired. They thought if Ben was reduced to a game manager and he just handed off and threw screens that the defense would be better and the Steelers would be able to grind out low-scoring wins. :lol:

GoSlash27
12-26-2013, 07:37 AM

- - - Updated - - -
The Chargers already beat them once in KC. KC isn't going to beat them in SD without their starters and probably wouldn't have beaten them with their starters.

Even if they do somehow pull it off, what about New York @ Miami?

Latest lines on this weekend's games:

Bengals by 6
Dolphins by 6
Steelers by 7
Chargers by 10

Dwinsgames
12-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Even if they do somehow pull it off, what about New York @ Miami?

Latest lines on this weekend's games:

Bengals by 6
Dolphins by 6
Steelers by 7
Chargers by 10

biggest questions for me in this are also the red Bold ....

what Tannehil shows up the game manager that can be successful or the unpolished turd from last week that could not get out of his own way ? remember earlier in the week there was some questioning if he would even play Sunday .......

do the chiefs play enough starters to truly compete ? and if so which rendition of the team shows up the one with a solid D that creates turnovers or the one who had been in hiatus the past few weeks giving up 30+ .... we know Rivers has been reborn and can score with anyone if given time , we know Matthews is now ( 4 years later ) putting up the numbers people expected of him when he was drafted ......

GoSlash27
12-26-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm personally not holding out hope that we're gonna miracle our way into the playoffs, *But*...
If the highly- unlikely does somehow happen, I think we could whoop wholesale ass in the playoffs. This is a pretty good football team lately.
Personally, I'll settle for avoiding a losing season.

zulater
12-26-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm personally not holding out hope that we're gonna miracle our way into the playoffs, *But*...
If the highly- unlikely does somehow happen, I think we could whoop wholesale ass in the playoffs. This is a pretty good football team lately.

As long as the Patriots hold up as the two seed we'd have a chance to do some damage in the playoffs. Figure first round we go to either Cincy or Indy. Got a chance with either one of them. 2nd round if we advance it would be to Denver. I know our history there is pretty bleak, but Peyton would have a mountain full of pressure on him to win that game. And we all know the greater the pressure the lesser the Peyton. :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2013, 01:26 PM
brian baldinger pointed out that the steelers have made the playoffs in bleaker circumstances in the 80's, needing 4 teams to lose and them to win in the last week of the season. but ditto to what you guys said

Edman
12-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Holding out for a miracle.

The 1989 Steelers needs four teams to lose to make the postseason and got just that. After that, they made all kinds of noise. Beating Houston and coming very close to upsetting Elway and the Broncos in Denver.

tube517
12-26-2013, 02:08 PM

I agree with all of this. I think we could squeak out a win and contend in the next round ala the 89 team.

GoSlash27
12-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I agree with all of this. I think we could squeak out a win and contend in the next round ala the 89 team.

Oh, we *could*. Not saying it's impossible, just pointing out that it's dependent on a couple things happening that probably won't. I figure we'll descend upon the Browns like the Angel of Doom. I just don't expect the Chiefs to beat the Chargers or the Jets to beat the Dolphins. Both have to happen in order for us to get into the playoffs.

zulater
12-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Everything we need to happen will happen except for the Chiefs beating the Chargers. It looks as if they're determined to lay down. Oh well, that's their right, that's what you (Steelers) get for trying to get in the back door of the playoff party. Our fate was essentially sealed when we allowed the Dolphins to come into Heinz and take away our lunch money.

Shoes
12-26-2013, 09:26 PM
I think our fate was sealed by not being ready to play football in preseason, which just carried over to the reg season.