PDA

View Full Version : "40 years of experience"

GoSlash27
11-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Late in the game, the color commentary guy mentioned that the Bills WRs were up against "40 years of experience" in the Steelers' secondary, and I realized with a start that they *are* getting a little long in the tooth.
They're certainly not so old that it's affecting their play, but it's probably a good time to prepare for the passing of the torch.

The Strong Safety position
Troy is in his 11th year and playing at the highest level in years. It appears that Shamarko Thomas is the answer going forward, which is good... because our #3 in that spot is Will Allen; in his 10th year.

Free Safety
Ryan Clark is still a beast in his 12th year, and he's lost a step. Robert Golden is his current backup (2 years), and I'm not sure about him.

Right Cornerback
Swaggin' is in his 11th year, and I don't see him playing at this level for very much longer. We have 2 young guys in the depth chart behind him. Not sure if Curtis Brown is the man going forward or not.

Left Cornerback
Willie Gay is the youngest starter, at 7 years. Not old, and a good backup in Cortez Allen (3 years). This is the one position that's not begging for attention.

I wonder if the F/O is going to be proactive about this, and if so, what they have in mind.

Steeldude
11-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Late in the game, the color commentary guy mentioned that the Bills WRs were up against "40 years of experience" in the Steelers' secondary, and I realized with a start that they *are* getting a little long in the tooth.
They're certainly not so old that it's affecting their play, but it's probably a good time to prepare for the passing of the torch.

Troy is in his 11th year and playing at the highest level in years. It appears that Shamarko Thomas is the answer going forward, which is good... because our #3 in that spot is Will Allen; in his 10th year.

Free Safety
Ryan Clark is still a beast in his 12th year, and he's lost a step. Robert Golden is his current backup (2 years), and I'm not sure about him.

Right Cornerback
Swaggin' is in his 11th year, and I don't see him playing at this level for very much longer. We have 2 young guys in the depth chart behind him. Not sure if Curtis Brown is the man going forward or not.

Left Cornerback
Willie Gay is the youngest starter, at 7 years. Not old, and a good backup in Cortez Allen (3 years). This is the one position that's not begging for attention.

I wonder if the F/O is going to be proactive about this, and if so, what they have in mind.

Their age is affecting their play.

Psycho Ward 86
11-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Free Safety

Right Cornerback

Left Cornerback

Troy is playing his best in years. Yeah, like 2 years...clark has lost a step? He's lost a ton of steps. Dont let a bills game fool you

GoSlash27
11-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Troy is playing his best in years. Yeah, like 2 years...clark has lost a step? He's lost a ton of steps. Dont let a bills game fool you

I disagree with that, but that's not the point.
I didn't start this thread as an "our secondary sucks" thing. I'm just sayin' it's really all downhill from here, so it'd be in our best interest to get ahead of it before it bites us.

stillers4me
11-11-2013, 11:44 AM
We don't have enough draft picks to address every position that needs upgraded.

Psycho Ward 86
11-11-2013, 11:46 AM
I disagree with that, but that's not the point.
I didn't start this thread as an "our secondary sucks" thing. I'm just sayin' it's really all downhill from here, so it'd be in our best interest to get ahead of it before it bites us.

its been biting us now. again, dont let a bills game against a rookie fool you. troy was immortal in his prime. That is nowhere near the case now, although he's still pretty good

steelreserve
11-11-2013, 12:07 PM
I have the perfect solution to addressing this problem through the draft! Here's what we do:

- Keep using all the high picks on linemen. When those players don't improve, draft more linemen.

- Take a random DB in Round 4 or Round 5 every year.

- About one out of every three will pan out into an acceptable player. (Note: Don't draft any DBs in rounds 6-7 to give yourself the advantage of numbers! You need those picks for crappy tight ends and DEs who don't make the team.)

- Sit your young DBs on the bench for 2-3 years so that when they do pan out, you only figure it out in their contract year.

- Lose the good ones to free agency because they command top dollar as an "up-and-coming shutdown CB who's only 25 years old."

- Keep it up! At this rate, you'll replenish your defensive backfield in only 24 years.

- Championship!

GoSlash27
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
We don't have enough draft picks to address every position that needs upgraded.

That's true. Even if we did, there's no guarantee that there would be any strong candidates in the positions we need upgraded.

Nevertheless, we need to deal with this in order to avoid a long stretch of sucky secondary play from over-the-hill vets followed by sucky secondary play from mistake- prone rookies.
I'd definitely prefer the transition to be more organized than that.

Steelman
11-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Left Tackle is obviously our largest need this offseason. But it's a coin flip between a true nose tackle and a DB as to the next biggest need.

I don't know if McLendon is just having an off year, or his success last year was just an aberration of his talent in comparison to the NT position. But if he was having a better season, I'd say that it would greatly help us go after a well-rounded cornerback.

Clark has to be let go in the off season. He's a definite liability on the field now, and his mouth is way bigger than his game these days. I'm having trouble recalling how Robert Golden's camp/pre-season went, but I seem to remember him impressing.

Shamarko does seem like he has the intangibles to play Troy's position, but with his diminutive size he could be the next coming of Bob Sanders rather than Troy Polamalu. Hopefully he can continue developing and remain healthy. So maybe we're OK at safety, and just need to bring a young guy and a veteran backup. (or keep Clark in this capacity if he's willing to take a discount)

Seems like not so long ago that we were all excited about the young cornerbacks with Keenan, Cortez, and C. Brown. Now with Keenan gone, Gay back, Cortez hurt lately, and Brown not even playing, it's a huge, glaring need. (among all the other big, glaring needs!) Are we just that bad at developing players?

Psycho Ward 86
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
cortez isnt hurt. he hasnt been on the injury report for a long time. he's been horrible while healthy. Baffling really, maybe he's only good as a nickel corner but hopefully he can be even better than ike taylor as the man said so himself.

imo the most disappointing players so far for us have been:

1) mike adams
2) cortez allen
3) marcus gilbert
4) steve mclendon
5) jarvis jones
6) emmanuel sanders

Heinz Hitman
11-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I have the perfect solution to addressing this problem through the draft! Here's what we do:

- Keep using all the high picks on linemen. When those players don't improve, draft more linemen.

- Take a random DB in Round 4 or Round 5 every year.

- About one out of every three will pan out into an acceptable player. (Note: Don't draft any DBs in rounds 6-7 to give yourself the advantage of numbers! You need those picks for crappy tight ends and DEs who don't make the team.)

- Sit your young DBs on the bench for 2-3 years so that when they do pan out, you only figure it out in their contract year.

- Lose the good ones to free agency because they command top dollar as an "up-and-coming shutdown CB who's only 25 years old."

- Keep it up! At this rate, you'll replenish your defensive backfield in only 24 years.

- Championship!

It's funny because it's true!!:p

Seriously, you pretty much nailed it. Our draft strategy has been less than acceptable the last few years.