PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' defense is dying with every big play

stillers4me
11-10-2013, 08:50 AM
In what must seem as though it were eons ago, or perhaps just a dream of better days gone by, Troy Polamalu spent the other day recalling a season in which the Steelers defense was not yielding big plays at an alarming clip, not like they are after just eight games of the 2013 season.

And it wasn't that long ago.

In 2011, the Steelers ranked No. 1 in the National Football League in total defense, scoring defense and pass defense. They were the only team in the league to record two shutouts that season. Their pass defense was so tight, they allowed only 21 pass plays of 25 yards or longer, easily the fewest in the league. They allowed a league-low two passes of 40 yards or longer, just one longer than 50 yards (73). And they didn't allow a run longer than 42 yards.

Polamalu was standing at his locker, trying to make sense of the disparity..........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013/11/10/Steelers-defense-is-dying-with-every-big-play/stories/201311100131#ixzz2kFplGfvZ

Hawkman
11-10-2013, 09:47 AM
I may get bashed for this, but I think one of the major contributor to this is the loss of Larry Foote. He is a veteran player, a veteran Steeler, a good ILB, a vocal leader, a smart football guy, and the defensive play caller. Before that we had James Farrior, who in my opinion is one of the best ILB's to play a 3-4, because of his ability, leadership and football smarts. I just don't see anyone out there right now filling those shoes. When thinks break down there is very little bounce back. Farrior and Foote kept players focused on the next play......and STAYED CALM!! Bash away.

stillers4me
11-10-2013, 10:55 AM
I may get bashed for this, but I think one of the major contributor to this is the loss of Larry Foote. He is a veteran player, a veteran Steeler, a good ILB, a vocal leader, a smart football guy, and the defensive play caller. Before that we had James Farrior, who in my opinion is one of the best ILB's to play a 3-4, because of his ability, leadership and football smarts. I just don't see anyone out there right now filling those shoes. When thinks break down there is very little bounce back. Farrior and Foote kept players focused on the next play......and STAYED CALM!! Bash away.

Not all. I happen to think you are spot on.

Godfather
11-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I also think the offense has gotten so bad that they're digging the team into a hole, and the defense is pressing and trying to make big plays. That leads to getting burned.

They're also getting tired from being on the field too much.

ALLD
11-10-2013, 11:39 AM
No James Harrison or Casey Hampton in their primes either.