PDA

View Full Version : All time Best Steeler, All time Best Player

Count Steeler
11-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Who is your pick for Best Steeler of all time? Who is your pick for Best NFLer of all time?

For his on field play and his off field character, my favorite, Jack Lambert. He not only played tough, but he made others around him tougher.

The best player that I have ever seen play would have to be Joe Montana.

Who are your picks?

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Like you , Lambert was /is my favorite although I believe Jack Ham was the better /smarter /more complete player .....

Barry Sanders did more with less around him than probably any player in NFL history so he gets my vote

tube517
11-07-2013, 06:56 PM
All time Best Steeler: Mean Joe Greene. Team of the 70s never comes to fruition without Joe Greene.

All time Best Player: Jim Brown. Sporting News named him the greatest football player ever. Can't argue with that.

zulater
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Tie between Jack Ham and Joe Greene. Sorry I couldn't separate them. In my opinion both were the greatest ever at their respective position.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Joe Green and Barry Sanders.

zulater
11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
All time greatest player, Jim Brown.

ALLD
11-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Joe Greene
Jim Brown

They defined their teams and the NFL.

fansince'76
11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Joe Greene and Walter Payton. Jim Brown was before my time.

Texasteel
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Yea, rub it in. I remember him very well.

Mel Blount, Changed the game,

Jim Brown.

Shoes
11-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Lambert & Bleier. Toughness and grit in undersized packages.

Man, I miss the 70's. I ran into Chuck Noll a few time in that decade. At Baskin & Robbins on Rt.19 and a number of times at the Allegheny County Airport when I was working on my Commercial pilots license. Noll had a very nice Beech Baron and was a very good pilot. Dang, talk about leaders!

steelreserve
11-07-2013, 09:27 PM
The answer for both is John Kuhn - duh!

Mojouw
11-07-2013, 09:49 PM
There are so many players that could be put here -- for both questions. So I'm gonna cheat. I will restrict it to cats I saw play -- and I won't count all that great NFL Films footage!

Best Steeler -- Rod Woodson (although the man in my profile pic will always be a favorite)

Best Player - Jerry Rice

tube517
11-07-2013, 10:00 PM

Mmmm hmmm. :chuckle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Steeldude
11-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Who is your pick for Best Steeler of all time? Who is your pick for Best NFLer of all time?

For his on field play and his off field character, my favorite, Jack Lambert. He not only played tough, but he made others around him tougher.

The best player that I have ever seen play would have to be Joe Montana.

Who are your picks?

For me...

The best Steeler of all-time is Jack Lambert.

The best NFLer of all-time is Jack Lambert.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, rub it in. I remember him very well.

Mel Blount, Changed the game,

As did so many Steelers.

James Harrison made the NFL create an unwritten rule that you cannot hit too hard.

Ward made the NFL create a rule about being too mean to the defense.

Texasteel
11-07-2013, 10:36 PM
For me...

The best Steeler of all-time is Jack Lambert.

The best NFLer of all-time is Jack Lambert.

- - - Updated - - -

As did so many Steelers.

James Harrison made the NFL create an unwritten rule that you cannot hit too hard.

Ward made the NFL create a rule about being too mean to the defense.

Seems like several Steeler changed the face of the game. If you can't beat them,, change the game.

NJarhead
11-08-2013, 06:01 AM
I wouldn't call him my favorite all time (That would be Mel Blount), but IMO Mean Joe was the best Steeler ever.

tube517
11-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Lambert is my personal all time favorite. Can you imagine the huddle with Greene, LC, White, Holmes, Ham, Lambert, Russell, Blount, Shell, and Wagner?

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Lambert is my personal all time favorite. Can you imagine the huddle with Greene, LC, White, Holmes, Ham, Lambert, Russell, Blount, Shell, and Wagner?

chills down my spine, everytime i think about it

Mistah Q
11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Greatest ever

Weegie Thompson

Truth.

bayz101
11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Best Steeler of All-Time: Mean Joe
Favorite Steeler of All-Time: Hines Ward

Best NFL Player of All-Time: Barry Sanders

Craic
11-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Best Steeler of all time: as I thought about this question, I was surprised by my own answer . . . Troy P. He completely rewrote the way the position is played, shifts from being a safety to a CB to a LB depending on the need of the play, is the absolute best I've ever seen at reading the snap-count and disrupting plays, and has all the ferociousness and tenacity of the 70's and 90's players.

Favorite Steeler of all time: Can't choose, there's too many.

Best NFLer of all time, Jerry Rice. Jim Brown was absolutely great, but Rice dominated the game over a much longer period of time and his name is already held in as high regard as Jim Brown's name.

tube517
11-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Greatest ever

Weegie Thompson

Truth.

:rofl2:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

GoSlash27
11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Best Steeler of all time: "Bullet Bill" Dudley
Best NFL player of all time: Jerry Rice

steeldawg
11-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I like rod woodson for my steeler.

For my best player I think we are witnessing 3 of the top players of all time at their position Peyton Manning, Clavin Johnson, and Adrian Peterson.

Heinz Hitman
11-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Best Steeler of all-time: I have to say Hines Ward. He played WR like nobody else. Not too many WRs can say they were feared by defenders, but Ward for sure was. And he always did it with a huge smile, just to rub it in.

Favorite Steeler of all time: This changes all the time for me. It usually rotates between Bettis, Lloyd, Woodson, and Ward. I love the highlights of the Steel Curtain era, but was too young to watch them at the time they were playing.

Best NFL player of all time: I gotta go with Barry Sanders. He is the reason the Lions are my favorite NFC team. He was an absolute joy to watch play. Wish he would have stuck around longer.

zulater
11-08-2013, 06:33 PM
I like rod woodson for my steeler.

For my best player I think we are witnessing 3 of the top players of all time at their position Peyton Manning, Clavin Johnson, and Adrian Peterson.

http://soiltosustenance.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/cliff-clavin.jpg

Named after the character on Cheers no doubt! :chuckle: :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

Greatest ever

Weegie Thompson

Truth.

If only Sweed would have played a few more years!

tube517
11-08-2013, 08:34 PM
http://soiltosustenance.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/cliff-clavin.jpg

Named after the character on Cheers no doubt! :chuckle: :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

If only Sweed would have played a few more years!

:lol: