PDA

View Full Version : Your Pick for Best Baseball Player of All Time

Count Steeler
11-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Just to change it up a bit around here.

Who do you pick as the best player in baseball of all time? Who is the best player you have ever seen?

For me, it is one and the same person, Pete Rose. Never saw a game he played in that he didn't give 100%. Never saw a pitch thrown to him that he didn't follow right into the catcher's mitt, unless of course he hit it. And he did it often, to the tune of 4,256 base hits.

He had the longest hitting streak, 44 games, that I ever witnessed. I saw him play against the Buccos many times. He was a pest.

I don't want to get into the Hall of Fame discussion.

Who is your best? Ever? Witnessed?

zulater
11-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Barry Bonds. Biggest jerk I ever saw too. :lol:

ALLD
11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
My favorite Pirate was Willie Stargell. I had one of the 1979 caps loaded with stars. He had a unique warm up batting choke.

steelerdude15
11-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Best player I've ever seen in person is Cutch. I'm not sure who is the greatest though.

X-Terminator
11-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Ken Griffey, Jr. In his prime, I don't think there was anyone better, not even Bonds. He did it all - played great defense, hit for average, hit for power. The ultimate 5-tool player.

Count Steeler
11-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Ken Griffey, Jr. In his prime, I don't think there was anyone better, not even Bonds. He did it all - played great defense, hit for average, hit for power. The ultimate 5-tool player.

That is a good pick. His name is not mentioned often enough.

Hindes204
11-10-2013, 02:04 PM

I agree, used to love watching him play...some of the stuff he did was unbelievable

- - - Updated - - -

Ty Cobb should be in the convo too

and of course Babe Ruth

anf as much as I dislike him as a person, Barry Bonds

Godfather
11-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Hammerin' Hank. Best remembered for his power but also had over 3700 career hits.

tube517
11-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Babe, Say Hey Kid, Mike Schmidt, Junior, Hammerin Hank

zulater
11-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Well Bonds was and still is the ultimate tool! :chuckle:

oneforthetoe
11-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Dale Berra?

I will say Honus Wagner because he was a Pirate and an all-time great.

tube517
11-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Well Bonds was and still is the ultimate tool! :chuckle:

:lol:

Butch
11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
I will go with Babe. He did a lot for the sport, and was a huge personality.

Pitcher I would love to have seen Sandy Kofax

In my lifetime and my favorite Pirate and 1st sports hero was Roberto!!!

86WARD
11-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Pete Rose.

Dwinsgames
11-14-2013, 12:09 AM
I would like to say my Neighbor ( well not exactly my neighbor he lives a mile down the road Richie Allen ) but sadly its not him , just not sure I can pick 1 considering Pitchers are almost a separate breed ...

to further complicate things I prefer to make all my " best ever picks" as guys I have witnessed play with my own eyes and not a few grainy highlight reals so that leaves out some of the obvious picks like Cobb , Ruth , Ted Williams ....

then do I pick a power hitter , a perennial gold glover , a base stealing phenom or someone who hit for a solid average year in and year out .... ( and anyone caught using steroids or had strong accusations against them automatically gets strickened from said list of contention for me anyways )

all that being said .......

I have to go with Willie Mays , 22 year career 300 lifetime average among all time HR ( 636 ) leaders , over 300 stolen bases over 3000 hits 12 time gold glover , won batting title , rookie of the year winner , 5 time MVP , 18 time all star .....

but hell there is a ton of guys who deserve mention / consideration but all things considered Mays did everything at an elite level and I am not sure its even close to who should be second ( for me anyways ) and he was far from my favorite player he was just that dam good

Dwinsgames
11-21-2013, 02:09 PM
did not mean for my last post to be a conversation ender http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/ouch.gif

Mistah Q
11-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Them Allen kids were good...

Best I've ever witnessed, I don't know I thought Canseco was pretty damned good

Best of all time, Honus T. Wagner, no question in my mind.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Them Allen kids were good...

Richie ( Dick ) Ronnie and Hank

Richie 1964 rookie of the year

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/allendi01.shtml