PDA

View Full Version : How to Handle the Draft Position

Craic
11-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Unless we go on an absolute tear, we'll probably have a top fifteen, maybe even a top ten pick next year in the draft. That's rare in Pittsburgh. We've had five top 15 picks in the last 25 years.

So, my question is, you're the coach, what do you do with the draft pick? What position do you target? Do you look to trade? If so, for what?

For me, I look to trade it to a team that's falling, and may get even worse over the next couple of years. A team in a strong division. AND, I trade for 2016. A first this year and a first in 2016, or a first in 2016 and a first in 2017. In short, I trade for a shot at the next franchise QB when Ben retires in a few years. I keep that first round pick in the bank and then bundle it the first round pick we have that year to go get our man.

Overkill? Possibly. But this team's suffered through 25 years of QB mediocrity. But if it's the choice between not being AS competitive over the next couple years, or not being competitive at all for the next 25, I know what my choice is. We bank the draft choice and prepare for replacing our franchise QB with another one in a couple years.

Spike
11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
We are currently 4th in the draft

keep that up and I'd go for a QB

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 02:39 PM
its hard to say not knowing where we will draft at yet but as we are playing currently it is not a stretch to assume ( if things do not change ) we will have a top 10 and maybe even a top 5 pick this year ...

if that is the case I go after Matthews and put him at LT for the next decade and forget about it , I then try and trade Pouncey for an additional 2nd rounder and go after a Legit LG to put next to Matthews perhaps Anthony Steen ......

offensive football starts in the trenches if that battle is lost you are doomed from the start ... so fix this first because if you can not score it does not matter how good your Def is in todays league teams will score 20 on you anyways

Edit ....

I know some will question the Pouncey trade I suggest but we are in cap hell plus 10 we will not be able to sign him without further harm to the team future ( and may not want to anyways so why rent him for a year more when we could get something else for a longer term for less money )

Aussie_steeler
11-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I totally agree with the Pouncey trade. With the contracts of Ben, Troy, Ike, Woodley, Timmons, Brown they are dug in a deep hole until 2016.

Pouncey is not worth 5 times what Velasco will earn.

st33lersguy
11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Honestly I think this team is more in need of a top 5 pick than 4 or 5 wins in the 2nd half of this season

steelreserve
11-07-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't see too many QBs that I'm excited about this year. You've got a guy from a gimmick offense, a guy whose gaudy stats came against basically a D-II schedule, or Johnny Football. Meh.

We really do need a LT, but am also seriously hoping we don't need to spend ANOTHER high draft pick on that position. That could also set us back a ton at other positions. Maybe the rest of this year will tell us whether we at least have somebody who will be passable at that position. We don't need great, and as for getting Matthews and "stick him there for a decade and forget it," that's more like "stick him there until his rookie contract is up and then we can't afford him." As I said, am REALLY hoping that we have an adequate LT on the roster, and it's quite possible that we do and he has just not developed from rookie level because the coaching has been horrible.

Really what I would like to see us do is get an awesome DB - or if we STILL insist on square-peg-round-holing it with the 3-4, a really good NT. I'm assuming we'll pick about #10-12, not top-five, so which one of those we can get (if any) really depends on what's left after the teams above us draft.

edit: Also, since players after round 1-2 are basically a crapshoot, what I'd like to see us do is take advantage of our position to parlay our high picks in rounds 3-4 for two lower ones apiece, and basically stockpile as many choices in rounds 3-4-5 as we can and see who turns out to be good. As far as I'm concerned, having a 50% chance on a guy taken at #25 in the third round and another 50% chance on a guy taken at #27 in the third round is way better odds than having a single 51% chance on one guy that we took at #10 in the third round. This is one year when we finally don't have to worry about having space at the end of the roster for too many draft picks; there are a ton of places where we'd be better trying out some fresh faces.

I'd even say do the same kind of deal in the second round, except pretty often there are still some obvious impact players available in the top half of it, or even down to the late teens.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
This team isn't competitive now so it's time to start rebuilding. The rebuild process (as far as players are concerned) has to start at LT and that means taking either Mathews or Lewan. Hopefully one will be available. We don't currently have an NFL caliber starting LT on this team.

I'm fine with trading Pouncey. Might as well get what we can now.

Steeldude
11-07-2013, 10:29 PM
It depends on which position is available. IMO, LT is the biggest need, as it has been for many years.

What I don't want to see is a WR, K, P, QB, DE, NT, G or C taken with the first pick.

Tommybot
11-08-2013, 01:57 AM
If they do finish with a top 5 pick, which is likely, don't be surprised if they trade back. This year's draft class is said to be deep and they have many needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NCSteeler
11-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Assuming we can sign Valesco to a deal for a few years, I'd trade Pouncey or move him to guard. He played his best ball as a rookie and has been sliding ever since. Draft the best LT on the board int he 1st and the best NT on the board in the 2nd, after that it's gotta be a CB, a Safety and then some WRs. If the next Calvin Johnson, Casey Hampton or Rod Woodson is available in any round take him, period.

vader29
11-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I'd like to see them draft a big physical pass catching wide receiver and tight end with their first couple of picks.

Steelman
11-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't know why we would not go LT with our pick. Especially with several top-tier LT's right around where we'll (presumably) be picking.

Spike
11-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I'd draft both of Stanford's OT's then get 2 big tall WRs

Steeldude
11-08-2013, 01:10 PM
No disrespect to anyone's pick, but how would a WR in the first round help? The Steelers would still be without pass protection and a running game.

Shoes
11-08-2013, 02:05 PM
LT and TE are a must imo. Paulson & Spaeth together don't equal an injured Miller.

Craic
11-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't see too many QBs that I'm excited about this year. You've got a guy from a gimmick offense, a guy whose gaudy stats came against basically a D-II schedule, or Johnny Football. Meh..
And I think drafting a QB this early is a waste anyway. That's why I suggested we trade back and pick up a number one pick for next year. Maybe get this years's second round draft choice, and next year's or the following year's number one draft choice. Then pick a QB and let him sit under Ben for two years with a five year contract (it's possible in the new system, but with stipulations). That way, he gets three years to show his skills before the second contract, but two years to learn the system and the NFL speed without being thrown to the wolves.

ALLD
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
OL & DL best player available.

Heinz Hitman
11-08-2013, 06:23 PM
If we stay around a top five pick I would absolutely stay there and try to get a top LT. Matthews would be great. I am all on board with trading Pouncey also. Velasco has been a great signing and I would be absolutely fine with him being our starting C going forward. Pouncey has been hurt too much and seems to have peaked already. No way I trade down. When was the last time we had a top five pick? Could be very beneficial.

After the first round you would have to think CB would be one of our very top needs. We are so weak there.

But, with the way things have been going this year I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a first round punter with the bunch of idiots we have doing the picking.

SteelerFanInStl
11-08-2013, 08:13 PM
OL & DL best player available.

Absolutely. Everything starts there. Currently we're getting dominated on both lines. I think a LT and NT would do wonders for us.

Dwinsgames
11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Absolutely. Everything starts there. Currently we're getting dominated on both lines. I think a LT and NT would do wonders for us.

thing is the coaching staff is thick skulled , they have other options on the current roster at NT and refuse to try them instead they keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ....

Woods and Fangupo BOTH are bigger stronger anchors than Mclendon and would most likely both require a double team ( Fangupo would for sure ) so getting a new body /toy and using it are two totally different things

Texasteel
11-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I am interested in the ones that would like us to take a QB early in the first round. If that were to happen, which one would you like?

Craic
11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
I am interested in the ones that would like us to take a QB early in the first round. If that were to happen, which one would you like?

I thought I read the thread through and didn't see anyone say they'd like to see a QB in the first round . . . but these old eyes probably missed it.

Dwinsgames
11-08-2013, 08:29 PM

let me go on record to say this , any rookie QB would get KILLED behind this line and getting killed as a rookie QB tends to ruin you BEFORE you ever get started .... doubt that statement ? David Carr would concur as would Joey Harrington is my guess ....

Protection for a QB should always come before the QB

Texasteel
11-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I thought I read the thread through and didn't see anyone say they'd like to see a QB in the first round . . . but these old eyes probably missed it.

Spike said QB early in the thread, and like Dwins said. I think that would be a monumental mistake.

SteelerFanInStl
11-08-2013, 08:45 PM
thing is the coaching staff is thick skulled , they have other options on the current roster at NT and refuse to try them instead they keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ....

Woods and Fangupo BOTH are bigger stronger anchors than Mclendon and would most likely both require a double team ( Fangupo would for sure ) so getting a new body /toy and using it are two totally different things

I agree. I'd like to see Fangupo get some more playing time. I like Mclendon but I think he'd be better at DE. I also like how Woods played in preseason. We need a bigger body at NT to occupy the blocks.

Mistah Q
11-09-2013, 05:58 AM
I agree, take Matthews for LT... Round 2 draft the best O-lineman still there to play RG (put DeCastro at LG...)

DE, WR, LB, TE, CB... all nice but all have to come after the O-line.

Then again we tried drafting O-linemen high for a few years now and completely whiffed

Bluecoat96
11-09-2013, 08:47 AM
People keep talking about putting DeCastro at LG. He is seemingly becoming our best lineman, but he played exclusively at RG in college. If there's at least ONE thing the coaching staff has done right it's been to leave DeCastro where he has the best chance to succeed, which is what he's familiar with. RG.

I may be talking out my ass, but if they could figure out a way to keep Velasco AND Pouncey, they could put Pouncey at LG, Velasco at C, and keep DeCastro at RG, and work to draft Lewan for LT. Adams at RT would be great IMO. That would not suck in the least. Of course, the current cap situation probably renders that virtually impossible. I think that combo would be one hell of a nasty o-line. A guy can dream, right? Lol

cold-hard-steel
11-09-2013, 09:18 AM
I say shake down the whole organization . To do that you have from the "top to the bottom " Not " from the bottom to the top "

Dwinsgames
11-09-2013, 10:48 AM
People keep talking about putting DeCastro at LG. He is seemingly becoming our best lineman, but he played exclusively at RG in college. If there's at least ONE thing the coaching staff has done right it's been to leave DeCastro where he has the best chance to succeed, which is what he's familiar with. RG.

I may be talking out my ass, but if they could figure out a way to keep Velasco AND Pouncey, they could put Pouncey at LG, Velasco at C, and keep DeCastro at RG, and work to draft Lewan for LT. Adams at RT would be great IMO. That would not suck in the least. Of course, the current cap situation probably renders that virtually impossible. I think that combo would be one hell of a nasty o-line. A guy can dream, right? Lol

2 issues with this for me ...

1) Pouncey is going to be far to expensive to keep beyond the 2014 season with our cap issues and I prefer not renting a player for 1 final season when his value will be at its peek for us trade wise this off season

2) Matthews is a better prospect than Lewan and if things pan out as they sit right now we have a shot at him ....

2B ) I am not sure I would even draft Lewan http://www.washtenawwatchdogs.com/4/post/2013/08/the-cover-up-of-the-arrest-of-university-of-michigan-football-player-brendan-gibbons-for-rape.html

steelreserve
11-09-2013, 11:11 AM
And I think drafting a QB this early is a waste anyway. That's why I suggested we trade back and pick up a number one pick for next year. Maybe get this years's second round draft choice, and next year's or the following year's number one draft choice. Then pick a QB and let him sit under Ben for two years with a five year contract (it's possible in the new system, but with stipulations). That way, he gets three years to show his skills before the second contract, but two years to learn the system and the NFL speed without being thrown to the wolves.

The trading back to get more high draft picks isn't a bad idea. Especially since if we're talking about QBs, I don't see one worth taking in the top 10 this year. If we're talking about a different impact player like a DB or NT, the really good ones almost always go in the top 10, so this may be our only chance to get one.

But if we draft a QB to be the "future of the franchise," throw him to the wolves right away. Either you get it or you don't. I never heard of a Hall of Fame QB who would've sucked if not for sitting on the bench for two years. Better to find out sooner rather than later. You'll probably also get more for your current franchise QB if you trade him. A couple years ago, the price being commonly talked about for Ben was two first-rounders; now we'd probably get one first-rounder. Wait three more years until you're essentially dumping him, and maybe you'd get a second-rounder if you were lucky, or maybe you really do just have to dump him. I think his ultra-restructured contract would make it very difficult to trade Ben anyway; we'd have to eat something like $20M in dead money, so the joke's on us.

Psycho Ward 86
11-09-2013, 11:15 AM
im all for trading pouncey for all of the previously mentioned reasons. It sucks, we as an organization probably dont want to do it but shit happens.

And unlike the santonio holmes trade, it seems like we could some serious value out of him. I mean ok sure he's a center, which is not such a coveted position like left tackle, but how little could we possibly get out of a 24 year old 3x All-pro?

Bluecoat96
11-09-2013, 11:18 AM
2 issues with this for me ...

1) Pouncey is going to be far to expensive to keep beyond the 2014 season with our cap issues and I prefer not renting a player for 1 final season when his value will be at its peek for us trade wise this off season

2) Matthews is a better prospect than Lewan and if things pan out as they sit right now we have a shot at him ....

All good points. The scenario with Pouncey is just a dream for me. Our cap situation just blows. I didn't know about Lewan and any issues. Being a Michigan fan (don't judge me. Lol) I have just watched him play a bunch. If there's potential off field issues, no thanks.

steelreserve
11-09-2013, 11:37 AM
2B ) I am not sure I would even draft Lewan http://www.washtenawwatchdogs.com/4/post/2013/08/the-cover-up-of-the-arrest-of-university-of-michigan-football-player-brendan-gibbons-for-rape.html

Man, well reading THAT added a nice brown note to my morning. Although the kicker was the real scumbag, and it sounded like Lewan's role was more that of an idiot 19-year-old running his mouth off after the fact without knowing any better. Still, those kinds of stories are pretty disgusting, and I'm not sure I'd want any part of that guy either. Somebody will take him, though - being able to block and tackle makes people look the other way on a lot of things ...

Dwinsgames
11-09-2013, 12:55 PM
im all for trading pouncey for all of the previously mentioned reasons. It sucks, we as an organization probably dont want to do it but shit happens.

And unlike the santonio holmes trade, it seems like we could some serious value out of him. I mean ok sure he's a center, which is not such a coveted position like left tackle, but how little could we possibly get out of a 24 year old 3x All-pro?

my guess would be a very late first rounder ( wishful thinking perhaps ) to a late 2nd , probably somewhere in between like the 40th to 50th over all pick which would put us in great shape to snag a talented young ( cheap contract wise ) LG with the added selection

Mistah Q
11-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Ben is a right handed QB; DeCastro has the physical tools and mental capacity to pull effectively, and the guy is brains over brawn. Pittsburgh tends to run the Shotgun with the TE on the right. Pittsburgh also tends to try to have the LG pull quite often -- which Foster is not very competent at doing. Foster is a good drive blocker though. With a semi-competent coaching staff you have to at least try him at LG. If he works out the team's pass blocking is significantly improved... and the balance of left to right plays is put back at a reasonable level, improving the whole offense with it.

Psycho Ward 86
11-09-2013, 01:38 PM
my guess would be a very late first rounder ( wishful thinking perhaps ) to a late 2nd , probably somewhere in between like the 40th to 50th over all pick which would put us in great shape to snag a talented young ( cheap contract wise ) LG with the added selection

which sounds good to me because there ought to be plenty of safe picks still available there. Mike Mayock has been raving about how deep this draft is pretty much at any given position

Count Steeler
11-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Ben is a right handed QB; DeCastro has the physical tools and mental capacity to pull effectively, and the guy is brains over brawn. Pittsburgh tends to run the Shotgun with the TE on the right. Pittsburgh also tends to try to have the LG pull quite often -- which Foster is not very competent at doing. Foster is a good drive blocker though. With a semi-competent coaching staff you have to at least try him at LG. If he works out the team's pass blocking is significantly improved... and the balance of left to right plays is put back at a reasonable level, improving the whole offense with it.

I'm surprised they haven't tried DeCastro at LG. I had the same thinking as you on this one. Foster was better at RG last year. The 4 game stretch where this offense started to hit on all pistons was with Colon at LG and Foster at RG. Pouncey is also a possibility at LG. Of course, his contract might get in the way.

Dwinsgames
11-09-2013, 03:08 PM
I believe Tomlin stated post draft presser Decastro is a RG only ..that does not mean Tomlin is correct in his evaluations but just sayin

Count Steeler
11-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I believe Tomlin stated post draft presser Decastro is a RG only ..that does not mean Tomlin is correct in his evaluations but just sayin

That's strange. He wants everyone else to play 17 positions, "versatility".

Dwinsgames
11-09-2013, 06:54 PM
That's strange. He wants everyone else to play 17 positions, "versatility".

well its not quite as clear as I remembered it but they do suggest he is a RG here http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Press_Conference_1st_Round_Tomlin_Colbert/7d290737-9b5b-40c4-a0d9-73a18e8eacad

Steeldude
11-10-2013, 05:09 AM
IMO, they can pick a fat NT in the later rounds. Grabbing a NT in the first isn't going to help the team much. You still need a pass rusher and an ILB. They could always grab NT Daniel McCullers in the 3rd round. I would like to see what Fangupo has to offer. We know that won't happen though. Fangupo will rot on the bench.

steelreserve
11-10-2013, 06:18 AM
IMO, they can pick a fat NT in the later rounds. Grabbing a NT in the first isn't going to help the team much. You still need a pass rusher and an ILB. They could always grab NT Daniel McCullers in the 3rd round. I would like to see what Fangupo has to offer. We know that won't happen though. Fangupo will rot on the bench.

Yes, let's take a pass rusher with our first pick. Since we didn't just do that a few months ago. Let's also take another late-round flyer on a fat guy to play NT instead of getting a real one, because that worked out so well last time. Weren't you the guy complaining about Ta'amu as soon as he was drafted?

I still think my idea of trading for the last five picks of Round 7 and drafting a bunch of sumo wrestlers to play OL and DL just beats the dogshit out of anything else we've got going in those areas.

Steeldude
11-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Yes, let's take a pass rusher with our first pick. Since we didn't just do that a few months ago. Let's also take another late-round flyer on a fat guy to play NT instead of getting a real one, because that worked out so well last time. Weren't you the guy complaining about Ta'amu as soon as he was drafted?

I still think my idea of trading for the last five picks of Round 7 and drafting a bunch of sumo wrestlers to play OL and DL just beats the dogshit out of anything else we've got going in those areas.

I didn't say take a pass rusher with the first pick.

I am fine if they take a NT early, but how much does it really help the team? If NT is the only worthy pick that high in the draft then so be it.

Now that I have done a little more research it doesn't look like there(as of now) is a LT, CB or ILB worth a high first round pick.

Unfortunately, the Steelers need help in many areas.

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I watched the Alabama/LSU game last night and every time C.J. Mosley make a play I kept thinking how much I'd love to see him on the Steelers.

NCSteeler
11-10-2013, 03:41 PM
I didn't say take a pass rusher with the first pick.

I am fine if they take a NT early, but how much does it really help the team? If NT is the only worthy pick that high in the draft then so be it.

Now that I have done a little more research it doesn't look like there(as of now) is a LT, CB or ILB worth a high first round pick.

Unfortunately, the Steelers need help in many areas.

If you don't understand the importance of a " dominate" NT. To a 3-4 defense. You are not paying attention

- - - Updated - - -

A top NT. Changes this defense in amazing ways. What has this defense done in the years since Hamptom starting loosing a step? What has this defense done since placing McClendon as a starter? It's time to see what the backups got. Why are we paying Fua if we're not gonna try him out in a real game in a lost season?