PDA

View Full Version : Any Steeler fans rooting for a loss against the Bills?

zulater
11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
A loss against the Bills would put the Steelers on the inside track to a top 5 draftpick. Would it be worth it to you to see the Steelers suffer through that sort of season for the potential payoff of a premium draft pick?

Me, I'm hoping for a win. Even though I don't think a home win against the Bills would resurrect the season in any way ( but you never know?) for the fans that are there, for the players we have, for my own personal satisfaction I want the damn win! Even if it is a shortsighted goal.

But if they lose at least at this point I can finally see some benefit from it.

Psycho Ward 86
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
at this point, i dont care for wins and losses as much as i care for very promising individual performances from our young players. i need signs of hope for next season. A couple wins isnt going to do it, because i think we all know that any other wins we get this season are probably going to look pretty ugly

zulater
11-06-2013, 01:39 PM
at this point, i dont care for wins and losses as much as i care for very promising individual performances from our young players. i need signs of hope for next season. A couple wins isnt going to do it, because i think we all know that any other wins we get this season are probably look pretty ugly

Call me crazy, but if Haley will get out of Ben's way I think we can be a top 12 offense for the 2nd half of the year. I like what I'm seeing from Leveon Bell. Especially what he adds to the passing game. I see him rushing for about 400 and catching passes out of the backfield for nearly the same. I think the offensive line is getting where the highs are at least on par with the lows the last month. I'm hoping it will get a little better. Anyway it would be nice if we could gain some offensive momentum this season. I think the talent on that side of the ball is good enough to compete or close to it, if the coaching can get out of the way.

Defensively we just don't have the talent. Particularly to run the 3-4 the way LeBeau wants to run it. Nothing outside of adding talent can help on that side if the ball.

vader29
11-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm still cheering them to win out the rest of their games. As was the case last year for me, I won't wish for them to lose a game until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Dwinsgames
11-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I hope we finish 2-14 , for me hoisting the Lombardi is the objective every year ( as unrealistic as that sounds ) their is no consolation prize if you can not win it all or contend to do so you may as well garner higher draft picks once its clear you can no longer obtain your goal ...

I would play the youngsters the rest of the way , let them get experience and build off that

zulater
11-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I hope we finish 2-14 , for me hoisting the Lombardi is the objective every year ( as unrealistic as that sounds ) their is no consolation prize if you can not win it all or contend to do so you may as well garner higher draft picks once its clear you can no longer obtain your goal ...

I would play the youngsters the rest of the way , let them get experience and build off that

I get what you're saying, but two cautionary tales. One it seems to me that the same teams end up drafting in the early end of the round most every year. Occasionally they might dig themselves mid pack or slighter higher, but just wait a year or two and there they are again, back at the bottom of the league and the top of the draft order. So if top ten picks were all that why is it that teams like the Cardinals and Bucs can have a dozen of them on the roster at any one time, yet still suck? I think losing becomes a state of mind on a team. The more you lose the easier it's accepted, and the more it becomes your culture. So to me I want the Steelers to win as many games as they can and hopefully take some momentum into next season to build off of.

2nd cautionary tale. Most aren't old enough to remember when the Steelers played the Eagles in 68 in the "O.J. Simpson Bowl." The Steelers won the game, but of course the Bills outstunk the Eagles and got the murderer. :lol: Anyway the Eagles drafted 2nd and picked Leroy Keyes. :pointlaugh: The Steeler ended up the biggest winners in the end slipping down to 4th and picking Joe Who. ( aka Mean Joe Greene.)

Anyway just as we managed to get Ben with the 11th pick in 04, things tend to work themselves out if you continue to play hard to the end of the schedule. Where ever we pick they'll be good players. We just got to do a better job in finding the right ones.

ALLD
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
If they lose to the Bills then we might not even make the playoffs next season.

SteelerFans vs ToddHaley
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I can't help but want them to win. I understand the strategy of hoping for a loss and bettering the draft for next year, but I think we have the individual talent (excluding O Line) to be a good team, but not the scheme(s) from the coordinators to rightly take advantage of that talent.

Dwinsgames
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I get what you're saying, but two cautionary tales. One it seems to me that the same teams end up drafting in the early end of the round most every year. Occasionally they might dig themselves mid pack or slighter higher, but just wait a year or two and there they are again, back at the bottom of the league and the top of the draft order. So if top ten picks were all that why is it that teams like the Cardinals and Bucs can have a dozen of them on the roster at any one time, yet still suck? I think losing becomes a state of mind on a team. The more you lose the easier it's accepted, and the more it becomes your culture. So to me I want the Steelers to win as many games as they can and hopefully take some momentum into next season to build off of.

2nd cautionary tale. Most aren't old enough to remember when the Steelers played the Eagles in 68 in the "O.J. Simpson Bowl." The Steelers won the game, but of course the Bills outstunk the Eagles and got the murderer. :lol: Anyway the Eagles drafted 2nd and picked Leroy Keyes. :pointlaugh: The Steeler ended up the biggest winners in the end slipping down to 4th and picking Joe Who. ( aka Mean Joe Greene.)

Anyway just as we managed to get Ben with the 11th pick in 04, things tend to work themselves out if you continue to play hard to the end of the schedule. Where ever we pick they'll be good players. We just got to do a better job in finding the right ones.

and I understand what you are saying too , however this coaching staff couldnt coach a team full of pro bowlers to a HS championship let alone a SB at this point in time , thus drafting high and changing the guys in control could be a win win .... instead of loss loss

Count Steeler
11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I always want the Steelers to win. Hope we start seeing some performances that will give us some optimism about our younger players.

zulater
11-06-2013, 05:09 PM
and I understand what you are saying too , however this coaching staff couldnt coach a team full of pro bowlers to a HS championship let alone a SB at this point in time , thus drafting high and changing the guys in control could be a win win .... instead of loss loss

If only :pray: But I think we're going to be stuck with the same cast of characters making the decisions. Hopefully it might occur to them they haven't been good enough for awhile and will open their eyes to where they've been going wrong. I would love to see the Rooney's add a new draft coordinator to the mix though.

GoSlash27
11-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Winning is a habit, just like losing. I think beating the Bills and using that as a foundation to salvage this season would do more to cement a winning team next year than a high draft pick.

zulater
11-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Winning is a habit, just like losing. I think beating the Bills and using that as a foundation to salvage this season would do more to cement a winning team next year than a high draft pick.

I agree with you here. But I will add on this caveat. If going into the last game we look to be in position to draft Clowney if we lose, I'm going to find myself hard pressed to root for a win.

Dwinsgames
11-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I agree with you here. But I will add on this caveat. If going into the last game we look to be in position to draft Clowney if we lose, I'm going to find myself hard pressed to root for a win.

Meh to Clowney , not that he cant play because he can but he cant play LT and that is without question our most pressing need

GoSlash27
11-06-2013, 10:11 PM

I won't. That would only give us enough time to teach him how to play football before passing him off to a team that doesn't have cap issues.

Seven
11-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't know if I could consider myself a fan if I wanted them to lose.

Mistah Q
11-07-2013, 01:59 AM
I'm interested in the long term viability of this team

And that behooves going 4-12 or worse. We'll get a high draft pick which is nice, but more importantly the message will be clear that changes need to roll down from the top.

I'm almost of the mind to trade or cut anyone who's not on a rookie or vet min. contract - and for players we can't get other teams to take on their salary obligations, we restructure to absorb their entire cap hits in 2014, leaving us unable to field anything beyond a team of people earning rookie contracts and league minimums. We have one more season from hell and then sail into the future with new coaches, a lot of youth and high draft picks... and cap room in spades.

But then again I'm just a dreamer

zulater
11-07-2013, 04:53 AM
I'm interested in the long term viability of this team

And that behooves going 4-12 or worse. We'll get a high draft pick which is nice, but more importantly the message will be clear that changes need to roll down from the top.

I'm almost of the mind to trade or cut anyone who's not on a rookie or vet min. contract - and for players we can't get other teams to take on their salary obligations, we restructure to absorb their entire cap hits in 2014, leaving us unable to field anything beyond a team of people earning rookie contracts and league minimums. We have one more season from hell and then sail into the future with new coaches, a lot of youth and high draft picks... and cap room in spades.

But then again I'm just a dreamer

Sounds a lot like the Pirates plan for the 20 years prior to this one.

Moose
11-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Easy poll for me, I always want them to win.

Devilsdancefloor
11-07-2013, 07:50 AM
yes, i want them to win

tube517
11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
I want Sharknado to get a win and bragging rights on his hometown rival, EJ Manuel

steelreserve
11-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Why would you root for them to lose? Way too early for that. Maybe if it was the last game of the season. We're not the goddamn Colts.

Put it this way: We're probably not going to get a top-5 pick regardless. We'll most likely go something like 5-11 or 6-10 (remember, we play the Browns twice) and end up with like the 12th pick no matter what we do. So in the meantime, while I wouldn't exactly be breaking my neck to win every game, you should at least be trying so you can figure out who/what works and what doesn't. Better luck next year. Or more likely 2015.

Man, what a shitty year. The quick decline is no fun.

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Put it this way: We're probably not going to get a top-5 pick regardless. We'll most likely go something like 5-11 or 6-10 (remember, we play the Browns twice)

the browns are playing 10 times better than we are so I would not be so quick to pencil them in as wins

steel striker
11-07-2013, 01:43 PM
I always root from the steelers to win every game and, I remember in 2003 with Maddox at the helm we were 6-10.

steelreserve
11-07-2013, 02:14 PM
the browns are playing 10 times better than we are so I would not be so quick to pencil them in as wins

You may be right, but I think we'll at least split them. The Browns have a better record than us, but I am not exactly impressed with their season so far and they've been horseshit since the injury to Hoyer. Maybe they're better than us, who knows, but I still think that at least talent-wise, we have the upper hand, not to mention they barely have a quarterback.

Craic
11-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Always want them to win. However, we are not going to the playoffs this year. We are in the midst of a major change. Didn't think it was happening, didn't think it'd happen this way, but here we are. As such, We need to sit many of the veterans and give the rookies their starts, or let them play half the game. Wonder if Velasco can play left tackle? Pull Ben in the second half, put someone else at center, and switch him out so we can see what we have in him at Guard. Put Adams on the right and see if he can play that position. If not, cut him at the end of the year. Take Antonio Brown into the coaches office at the beginning of the week and explain to him that he's the number one man going forward. Period. But for the rest of this year, he's going to be seeing less field time so they can evaluate talent and give the rookies experience. Tell Brown to be ready to hit next year hard, because we're gearing up for it now.

Sit Troy and Clark and let them become coaches and mentors for the rest of the year to Thomas and whomever else. (When I say sit, I don't mean bench, I mean reduce their playing time a significant degree). Reduce Bell's carries by three or four a game and give them to Dwyer. For Bell, like Brown, take him into the office and tell him he's the number one guy going forward. Only with him, they're making sure he doesn't overextend himself rookie year and get injured. Then judge whether Dwyer is worthy of keeping on the team.

Will we lose a bunch more games? Yes. May even end up with a top five pick. But the point is not to end up with one. Instead. The point is to reload for next year.

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Always want them to win. However, we are not going to the playoffs this year. We are in the midst of a major change. Didn't think it was happening, didn't think it'd happen this way, but here we are. As such, We need to sit many of the veterans and give the rookies their starts, or let them play half the game. Wonder if Velasco can play left tackle? Pull Ben in the second half, put someone else at center, and switch him out so we can see what we have in him at Guard. Put Adams on the right and see if he can play that position. If not, cut him at the end of the year. Take Antonio Brown into the coaches office at the beginning of the week and explain to him that he's the number one man going forward. Period. But for the rest of this year, he's going to be seeing less field time so they can evaluate talent and give the rookies experience. Tell Brown to be ready to hit next year hard, because we're gearing up for it now.

Sit Troy and Clark and let them become coaches and mentors for the rest of the year to Thomas and whomever else. (When I say sit, I don't mean bench, I mean reduce their playing time a significant degree). Reduce Bell's carries by three or four a game and give them to Dwyer. For Bell, like Brown, take him into the office and tell him he's the number one guy going forward. Only with him, they're making sure he doesn't overextend himself rookie year and get injured. Then judge whether Dwyer is worthy of keeping on the team.

Will we lose a bunch more games? Yes. May even end up with a top five pick. But the point is not to end up with one. Instead. The point is to reload for next year.

pretty much this ...... I want development to see and know for sure what we have with the youngsters so we do not draft players we do not need or avoid drafting a player of two thinking we have something we do not ...

I do not expect to win any or many in doing this but it puts guys on tape for the the new administration I PRAY we get this off season ....

LLT
11-07-2013, 05:00 PM
These threads absolutely drive me crazy. I dont understand how ANYONE could "want" the Steelers to lose. And to make matters worse... TWO people say they dont even care and have checked out for the season!!!!!

Believe me...I understand the frustration and I LOVE the draft possibilities...its a passion of mine. But I would rather have a lower draft pick and win as many games as possible, then to lay down and lose games in the name of a higher draft pick. Lord forbid there is EVER a time in which our fanbase is faced with the reality that they paid for a game in which the Steelers didnt even try... so as to help their draft status. That type of lack of integrity (and thats EXACTLY what it would be)...would ruin the game for me forever.

This is a bad year...nothing more, nothing less.

Put on your big boy pants... and cheer the Steelers on...even when they have an off year...because LORD KNOWS they have given us year after year of enjoyment. I think they at least DESERVE that much of our loyalty.

Yea this is going to piss some of you off....and to be honest...I dont give a rats ass. I expect that attitude out of bengals fans...but expect better out of our own fanbase.

stillers4me
11-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Yea this is going to piss some of you off....and to be honest...I dont give a rats ass. I expect that attitude out of bengals fans...but expect better out of our own fanbase.

:applaudit:

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 05:38 PM
maybe because anything short of a Lombardi is a failed season and it is CLEAR there is no Lombardi in this 2013 version of the Steelers thus if you have no shot why not get some better selections ( something we rarely are in line to get , do not mistake it for being spoiled nothing is further from the truth ... it is being smart and taking something Bad and getting something good from it two fold evaluation and better selections ) ... I want to lose now to win later , I want to play the youngsters to see what we have in them , evaluation is a good thing , putting it on tape is even better when there is a good chance there will be organizational changes coming .... many of you do not remember the down years of the 60s and mid 80s .. I remember them both all to well

we need quality youth on the cheap because we are so cash strapped its not even funny , fielding a team in 2014 is going to be difficult because of our cap situation let alone a competitive team we need to get young FAST , as in young I mean rookie wage scale players with high end ability

LLT
11-07-2013, 05:48 PM
maybe because anything short of a Lombardi is a failed season and it is CLEAR there is no Lombardi in this 2013 version of the Steelers thus if you have no shot why not get some better selections ( something we rarely are in line to get , do not mistake it for being spoiled nothing is further from the truth ... it is being smart and taking something Bad and getting something good from it two fold evaluation and better selections ) ... I want to lose now to win later , I want to play the youngsters to see what we have in them , evaluation is a good thing , putting it on tape is even better when there is a good chance there will be organizational changes coming .... many of you do not remember the down years of the 60s and mid 80s .. I remember them both all to well

we need quality youth on the cheap because we are so cash strapped its not even funny , fielding a team in 2014 is going to be difficult because of our cap situation let alone a competitive team we need to get young FAST , as in young I mean rookie wage scale players with high end ability

I have no problem with fielding some of the younger players. I even think that putting Pouncey out there as possible trade bait is worth thinking about.

But WHOEVER is on the field needs to give their 100% and try and win the game. Whoever is coaching the team needs to make personnel decissions based on the good of the team and not on getting a "better draft pick". Whoever is in the front office needs to be realistic about trades...drafts...and the long term health of the organization. That is THEIR responsibility.

OUR responsibilithy is to find a team that we are willing to stick with through thick and thin. To be the fanbase that other teams wish they had. To NEVER hope that we lose a game...but rather be optimistic enough to hope for a win...and appreciate the draft choice that falls to us at seasons end.

Count Steeler
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I could never wish for a loss. I could think that we may lose to a certain team because of circumstances, but never HOPE for a loss.

I want to breed in these young players a sense of being champions, even though the wins are coming sporadically at the present time. Doesn't change the mindset of being a champion. You give your best every play and you beat your man every play. That would be my goal as a player at it should remain our goal as a team. We may not have the right make up right now, but every man should put forth the effort to make every team fell pain, whether we win or lose.

We have to get our championship mindset back, and it has to start in the trenches. Our O Line has to steamroll other teams, and our D Line has to dictate the flow of their O Linemen. Until we get solid again on our lines, we have a tough road ahead. Best to inflict pain as we go.

st33lersguy
11-07-2013, 06:46 PM

No, Jake Matthews needs to be the target followed by Lewan, besides Clowney is going to bust, he's been lethargic all year. If we get our highest pick in 4 decades, I don't want to burn it on that lazy bum

zulater
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
No, Jake Matthews needs to be the target followed by Lewan, besides Clowney is going to bust, he's been lethargic all year. If we get our highest pick in 4 decades, I don't want to burn it on that lazy bum

Clowney doesn't want to play college ball this year. That's all that's wrong with him. He's exactly what this team needs to return to prominence. He'll be a great pro.

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Clowney doesn't want to play college ball this year. That's all that's wrong with him. He's exactly what this team needs to return to prominence. He'll be a great pro.

meh , I do not want a player who "NEEDS" to be motivated , I want a guy who is 110% committed and motivated all the time especially when selecting him in the top 5 of the entire draft when we pick there once every 4+ decades

zulater
11-07-2013, 07:50 PM
meh , I do not want a player who "NEEDS" to be motivated , I want a guy who is 110% committed and motivated all the time especially when selecting him in the top 5 of the entire draft when we pick there once every 4+ decades

Joe Greene came into the league with the same rap.

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Joe Greene came into the league with the same rap.

not to many Joe Greene's have been drafted regardless of rap or lack there of .... just sayin

zulater
11-07-2013, 07:54 PM
not to many Joe Greene's have been drafted regardless of rap or lack there of .... just sayin

I think this guy will be a great NFL player.

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I think this guy will be a great NFL player.

trust me I am not in disagreement of his potential , I just do not like guys with motivational problems that early on my draft board , to much at stake in todays NFL and potential for bust increases with every question mark ...

besides I feel we have much larger needs that will pay bigger dividends such as a LT to protect Bens blind side ... Ben with time to throw can produce more wins than what a motivated Clowney would IMO

st33lersguy
11-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Especially since we don't have a coaching staff capable of motivating players

- - - Updated - - -

On the one hand it is very hard to root against the Black and Gold, on the other hand a top 5 pick does more for the long term future of the team than 4 or 5 wins in the 2nd half of the season

GutterflowerSteel
11-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Especially since we don't have a coaching staff capable of motivating players

- - - Updated - - -

On the one hand it is very hard to root against the Black and Gold, on the other hand a top 5 pick does more for the long term future of the team than 4 or 5 wins in the 2nd half of the season

I agree with a lot of what everyone on this thread is saying - but I will NEVER root against the Steelers! Just can't do it.

zulater
11-08-2013, 05:09 AM
trust me I am not in disagreement of his potential , I just do not like guys with motivational problems that early on my draft board , to much at stake in todays NFL and potential for bust increases with every question mark ...

besides I feel we have much larger needs that will pay bigger dividends such as a LT to protect Bens blind side ... Ben with time to throw can produce more wins than what a motivated Clowney would IMO

Ben has proven he can win big with a good left tackle. Remember if we win only 4-6 games we'll be drafting earlier every round. So maybe we can get that stud left tackle in the second round like we did Marvel Smith, or the 4th round like we did Max Starks. Hell I'm not even sure he couldn't win big with Beachum starting over there if the rest of the line stabilizes.

Mistah Q
11-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Hell... draft a left tackle in every round this April.

Whoever works out best will be our stud LT. Whoever works out second best... our future RT. A couple backups and maybe a guard out of the deal too, and then a couple guys we cut or trade.

No worse than any other draft but some stability for once.

Edman
11-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I already got what I wanted last week. New England to run this team into the dirt. The wins over the Ravens are Jets were just something there to keep the slim hope alive that this team was actually any good (It really wasn't.).

Everything from here on out is beans as far as I know. I already knew this team sucked ass when they were 0-4. All we needed was strict confirmation. The Pats gave it to us. Big time. This team sucks.

I really don't care what happens against the Bills. All I'm worried about is seeing what is there that this team can build on in 2014 and beyond.

Count Steeler
11-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I already got what I wanted last week. New England to run this team into the dirt. The wins over the Ravens are Jets were just something there to keep the slim hope alive that this team was actually any good (It really wasn't.).

Everything from here on out is beans as far as I know. I already knew this team sucked ass when they were 0-4. All we needed was strict confirmation. The Pats gave it to us. Big time. This team sucks.

I really don't care what happens against the Bills. All I'm worried about is seeing what is there that this team can build on in 2014 and beyond.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Heinz Hitman
11-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I would never root against the Steelers, but at the same time I wouldn't be upset about us losing the rest of our games. If we are gonna suck then we are gonna do it better than anybody else!

And really, what does winning more games do for us at this point? I'll tell ya what it does - hurts our draft position. I would be yanking your chain if I told you I wasn't at least a little bit excited at the possibility of having a top 5 draft pick. I don't wanna make the playoffs just to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. If we are going to make the playoffs I want to have a chance to make some noise and go far. Not gonna happen with this team. Would suck to make the playoffs, get killed in the first game, and then pick in the early to mid 20s. This team needs some major changes, not just some tweaking.

smokin3000gt
11-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Not me. We have to figure out what's broken and how to fix it and we don't have a lot of games to do it with. I want this figured out by next season and that'll never happen if we keep gettin our asses kicked.

Sent from my Samsung thingermajig using Tapatalk 2.

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm really kind of amazed at the lack of response to last week's game. It was a monumental azz kicking and yet I'm not hearing much more than what we hear after any other loss from the front office and coaches. It seems like they refuse to believe how bad this team is.

Bluecoat96
11-09-2013, 09:36 AM
These threads absolutely drive me crazy. I dont understand how ANYONE could "want" the Steelers to lose. And to make matters worse... TWO people say they dont even care and have checked out for the season!!!!!

Believe me...I understand the frustration and I LOVE the draft possibilities...its a passion of mine. But I would rather have a lower draft pick and win as many games as possible, then to lay down and lose games in the name of a higher draft pick. Lord forbid there is EVER a time in which our fanbase is faced with the reality that they paid for a game in which the Steelers didnt even try... so as to help their draft status. That type of lack of integrity (and thats EXACTLY what it would be)...would ruin the game for me forever.

This is a bad year...nothing more, nothing less.

Put on your big boy pants... and cheer the Steelers on...even when they have an off year...because LORD KNOWS they have given us year after year of enjoyment. I think they at least DESERVE that much of our loyalty.

THIS TIMES 10!!!!! I don't think we should EVER tank a season, player development or not. We are NOT the Colts, who I do believe tanked the '11 season for Luck. The only way I would even entertain the thought of "player development" taking place during game time would be when we are officially eliminated from playoff contention. Even then, my first thought is to put the people who you think give you the best chance to win on the playing field. Whether or not the coaching is capable of doing that is a different thread altogether.

I love this message board, but I'm reminded of a saying I frequently use in class. (Censored from the original of course)

"Opinions are like assholes. We all have them, and they all STINK."

steelreserve
11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
I would never root against the Steelers, but at the same time I wouldn't be upset about us losing the rest of our games. If we are gonna suck then we are gonna do it better than anybody else!

And really, what does winning more games do for us at this point? I'll tell ya what it does - hurts our draft position. I would be yanking your chain if I told you I wasn't at least a little bit excited at the possibility of having a top 5 draft pick. I don't wanna make the playoffs just to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. If we are going to make the playoffs I want to have a chance to make some noise and go far. Not gonna happen with this team. Would suck to make the playoffs, get killed in the first game, and then pick in the early to mid 20s. This team needs some major changes, not just some tweaking.

You know what else winning more games does? Gives a little bit of hope to the players we DO want to keep. If we go 2-14 and have no direction at all, then guys are complaining to the media, there's a sour attitude in the locker room, your own fans are booing you, guys are complaining about not getting the ball enough, people are questioning whether the coaching staff knows what it's doing, and any halfway decent player jumps at the opportunity to get the hell out of there, and you also have a hard time attracting any decent free agents. Basically, you become like the Raiders or the Jaguars, but with $50M in dead money. It'd make the team suck for years.

One guy who you get with a high draft pick isn't going to suddenly change that. Yeah, straight mathematics says "lose all your games, get a higher draft pick and you're better off," but there actually is value in staying halfway respectable as a team. Certainly that's more value than the difference between the #5 pick in the draft and the #10 pick.

steelerdude15
11-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I will never cheer against or hope that the Steelers lose.

Dwinsgames
11-09-2013, 12:59 PM
You know what else winning more games does? Gives a little bit of hope to the players we DO want to keep. If we go 2-14 and have no direction at all.

like last season did in helping this years team ? no thanks

Texasteel
11-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I do understand the other side, but for me, I always have and always will hope for a victory. Victory as in kick the crap out of them, not even close, so bad they will cry in their sleep.

zulater
11-09-2013, 08:23 PM
like last season did in helping this years team ? no thanks

Last half of the season we were 3-5. So losing last year was a prelude to this year. Me I'd love to see them finish 6-2 or better like they did in 2006 then springboard that momentum back into contention like 2007.

salamander
11-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I never wish for a loss. I do, however, predict losses.

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2013, 09:06 PM
You know what else winning more games does? Gives a little bit of hope to the players we DO want to keep. If we go 2-14 and have no direction at all, then guys are complaining to the media, there's a sour attitude in the locker room, your own fans are booing you, guys are complaining about not getting the ball enough, people are questioning whether the coaching staff knows what it's doing, and any halfway decent player jumps at the opportunity to get the hell out of there, and you also have a hard time attracting any decent free agents. Basically, you become like the Raiders or the Jaguars, but with $50M in dead money. It'd make the team suck for years.

One guy who you get with a high draft pick isn't going to suddenly change that. Yeah, straight mathematics says "lose all your games, get a higher draft pick and you're better off," but there actually is value in staying halfway respectable as a team. Certainly that's more value than the difference between the #5 pick in the draft and the #10 pick.

You mean like the Chiefs? They're not doing too bad for a team that was 2-14 last year.

steelreserve
11-09-2013, 10:16 PM
You mean like the Chiefs? They're not doing too bad for a team that was 2-14 last year.

Yeah, and how'd they do for the 5 or 6 years before that?

No, no need to look it up, it's right here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/

And that's WITHOUT having the salary cap problems we did.

Put another way, you can always find one counterexample, but odds of being bad suddenly making you good: like 1 in 20. Odds of being bad meaning you're just a bad team: the rest out of 20.

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Yeah, and how'd they do for the 5 or 6 years before that?

No, no need to look it up, it's right here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/

And that's WITHOUT having the salary cap problems we did.

Put another way, you can always find one counterexample, but odds of being bad suddenly making you good: like 1 in 20. Odds of being bad meaning you're just a bad team: the rest out of 20.

I see many similarities between the 2012 Chiefs and the Steelers. The Chiefs had a lot of talent but just couldn't get wins. They cleaned house with the FO and coaching staff, added a few draft picks and a "game manager" QB and this year they're undefeated. The Steelers could be back in contention next year with a few key player additions and getting rid of some coaches. Getting a higher draft pick will give them a better opportunity to get the players that they need.

zulater
11-10-2013, 09:23 AM
maybe because anything short of a Lombardi is a failed season

A little off topic. But I've never seen it that way. I'm a football fan and I get enjoyment out of every Sunday regardless of how the Steelers perform. And truth be told many of my favorite Steeler seasons were non Super Bowl seasons. I mean if you're a Steeler fan how can you view seasons like 76, and 04 as failures? The 89 playoff run holds as many good memories as some of the Super Bowl seasons. And how can you claim that Dermontii Dawson's career was a failure because he won no Lombardi's? Same with Rod Woodson's and Gregg Lloyd's Steeler tenure.

It's a beautiful early November afternoon. I would love to see an impressive Steeler win today to make it complete.

stillers4me
11-10-2013, 09:26 AM
A little off topic. But I've never seen it that way. I'm a football fan and I get enjoyment out of every Sunday regardless of how the Steelers perform. And truth be told many of my favorite Steeler seasons were non Super Bowl seasons. I mean if you're a Steeler fan how can you view seasons like 76, and 04 as failures? The 89 playoff run holds as many good memories as some of the Super Bowl seasons. And how can you claim that Dermontii Dawson's career was a failure because he won no Lombardi's? Same with Rod Woodson's and Gregg Lloyd's Steeler tenure.

It's a beautiful early November afternoon. I would love to see an impressive Steeler win today to make it complete.

A steelers win, in any season, makes the week just a little better. (a Bengals loss
is icing on the cake for me...)

zulater
11-10-2013, 09:32 AM
A steelers win, in any season, makes the week just a little better. (a Bengals loss
is icing on the cake for me...)

In my Dad's time a winning record was viewed as a successful season. I think overall people were happier back then.

GoSlash27
11-10-2013, 06:34 PM
In my Dad's time a winning record was viewed as a successful season. I think overall people were happier back then.

That's the way I've always looked at it. Your dad was (is?) obviously a wise man :D

zulater
11-10-2013, 06:44 PM
That's the way I've always looked at it. Your dad was (is?) obviously a wise man :D

Unfortunately was as in past tense. :rip: But thanks for the compliment to him all the same. :drink: Believe it or not he was drinking buddies with some of the old time Steelers back in the day. I met Bobby Layne when I was about 3 at some dump down on the North Side that he and my dad sometimes would tip a few down at. Can't rmember the name of the place, but I remember they had a great fish sandwich there. Or so everyone said, I was a little too young to fully appreciate that sort of thing back then. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
11-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I said in the poll I would just go with the flow, but starting at kickoff, I couldn't help but root for them

Texasteel
11-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I said in the poll I would just go with the flow, but starting at kickoff, I couldn't help but root for them

That's the thing,,,,, I'll bet even the ones hoping for another lose were yelling as loud as the rest of us when we scored.

Dwinsgames
11-11-2013, 11:24 AM
That's the thing,,,,, I'll bet even the ones hoping for another lose were yelling as loud as the rest of us when we scored.

no doubt , the heart always wants a Victory but the head at times says otherwise

HollywoodSteel
11-11-2013, 10:17 PM

This. I think these discussions are interesting but in the end they are nothing more than academic. In the real world I expect that very few of the kind of fans that come here can really force themselves to root against our beloved Steelers. Nothing to be ashamed of. We can't change the color of our blood: Black and Gold. :tt03: