PDA

View Full Version : Changes? Don't Expect Them Now

vader29
11-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Someone asked Mike Tomlin right after the game if his team quit against the New England Patriots the other day.

Tomlin, not knowing what a reporter might've seen from his seat in the press box, said: "We are going to comb through this with a fine tooth comb, as we should. And those people who are lacking effort won’t be playing."

Well, I went through the tape Monday with said "fine tooth comb" and came away doubting Tomlin will announce any changes at his press conference today.

Any minor changes? Well, I might consider activating the true nose tackle, Loni Fangupo, and maybe taking a look at Steve McLendon as an end. I might consider giving Cortez Allen back his starting cornerback job and making William Gay the nickel. And I might consider easing Shamarko Thomas into the free safety spot in relief of Ryan Clark. But, really, I would have to be certain that Thomas has a grasp of the position, which has been a position for older veterans since the days of Brent Alexander.

I realize most fans -- and even the fans in the media -- are demanding changes for what they feel was an unforgivable breakdown in New England, but what I saw on tape was a team getting whipped by a superior quarterback who's made a habit of kicking the Steelers when they're down, and even when they're not, re: a 2007 team that was a year away from a title and a 2010 team that was months away from an AFC title.

Brady looked healthy, his receivers were finally maturing and understanding their QB, and dominating TE Rob Gronkowski was in the game. Also, the Patriots' running game that had been carrying Brady with Gronkowski out, and with those receivers learning, showed against the Steelers why it had been the offense's main asset to that point in the season.

And throw in the fact that Brady absolutely despises the Steelers and Pittsburgh and it added up to a quarter-and-a-half of annihilation as the Patriots gassed the Steelers and kept the pedal to the metal.

Read more: http://pit.scout.com/2/1343212.html

fansince'76
11-05-2013, 09:11 AM
What big changes could be made at this point that would suddenly turn things around? There isn't a magic bullet for this. This season is lost and I accept that. I am just hoping to see improvement and some reasons for hope going into next season.

Steelman
11-05-2013, 09:30 AM
What big changes could be made at this point that would suddenly turn things around? There isn't a magic bullet for this. This season is lost and I accept that. I am just hoping to see improvement and some reasons for hope going into next season.

This is precisely why Tomlin is losing respect by blowing all this hot air after recent losses. His recent insinuations of people getting benched/etc seems completely knee-jerk with a healthy dose of CYA.

The team would be better off finding out which guys are the ones you keep and build around than trying to live up to some unattainable standard.

Mojouw
11-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I think there are several reasons for hope. In no particular order:

1. Shamarko Thomas is the real deal - at least in the box. He absolutely blew up the lead blocker at the point of attack on the early fourth and goal play. Just a really good fundamental play in run support from a safety. Coverage, who really knows as the TV angles don't always show everything. Plus it is sometimes hard to read jersey #'s on illegal game streams!

2. Decastro has increasingly looked like an impact first round lineman - at least when healthy. Maybe he is the best guard prospect since Hutchinson or something. Still wish he was on the left side of the line, but at least he is playing decent to very good.

3. Velasco (sp?) looks like a useful find. I think he belongs in the conversation to be held over to start somewhere along the interior line when Pouncey returns next year. (assuming Pouncey does return, but that is another discussion)

4. I was totally wrong. Antonio Brown can be my #1 wideout any day. Old man Cotchery is showing he can still get it done from the 3rd wideout spot. While Sanders is increasingly disappointing and frustrating, I am distracted from noticing it by Antonio Brown being awesome.

5. Heyward is looking really good since being elevated to a starting position. Hood looked a bit better playing inside. Maybe both of those guys will turn it around and live up to draft position? Certainly seems that Heyward may.

6. Maybe Allen is rounding back into form? It seemed like Gronk settled the hell down once Allen was assigned to shadow him.

I know that this is a paltry list compared to our expectations as fans, but at least it is something and a bit of a break from the negativity.

steelreserve
11-05-2013, 02:41 PM
There's nothing you can change this season that's going to make the team significantly more competitive. Part of it's the talent, and part of it's the coaching. But you know what they say about trying to change the tires on a moving car - this is more like trying to replace the transmission in the middle of a high-speed crash. This is where you see who you keep around next year. The answer is: whoever's cheap, because we're basically going to be operating at less than half a salary cap.

steel striker
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
There is only so much the can be done like FS76 said this season is lost and, let's hope they finish strong build for next year.

Steelman
11-05-2013, 03:13 PM
4. I was totally wrong. Antonio Brown can be my #1 wideout any day. Old man Cotchery is showing he can still get it done from the 3rd wideout spot. While Sanders is increasingly disappointing and frustrating, I am distracted from noticing it by Antonio Brown being awesome.

So on ESPN's FF app it says that Tomlin benched Brown late in the game for too many blown assignments. First I've heard of it. I don't recall seeing or hearing about it in-game.

Was Tomlin grasping at straws or was it really that bad?

Spike
11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
So on ESPN's FF app it says that Tomlin benched Brown late in the game for too many blown assignments. First I've heard of it. I don't recall seeing or hearing about it in-game.

Antonio Brown benched

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/11/steelers-wr-antonio-brown-was-benched-late-in-loss-to-patriots/

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2013, 03:27 PM
6. Maybe Allen is rounding back into form? It seemed like Gronk settled the hell down once Allen was assigned to shadow him.

i didnt see it. he's been a liability so far. And nothing screams "you arent playing like you should be" like losing your starting spot in the 1st quarter of the season. I only like Gay as a nickel corner. Unfortunate that Allen hasnt been able to make the transition from great nickel corner to great starting corner like keenan lewis did. Allen was the highest rated nickel corner in the league by PFF last season if memory serves correctly. That vikings game was one of the worst individual defensive performances by anyone this year. I sure hope he becomes even better than ike taylor, as ike said he could become himself. We'll need him to be that good next season, because chances are ike wont be the same man. He's been showing some signs of decline, as any 33 year old player should. He can no longer shut people down without attracting yellow flags. Very poor play the first 4-5 games last season to the point where people were calling for his head, and then that leg fracture for the last 4 games last season. And now a concussion, albeit that can happen to anyone at anytime.

We need Cortez to reach his potential and some draft pick or unknown to emerge next season. We cant trust ike forever

Spike
11-05-2013, 03:36 PM
meanwhile, more shuffling the deck chairs, I mean depth charts

Steelers bring back CB DeMarcus Van Dyke waive CB Isaiah Green

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/11/steelers-waive-cb-isaiah-green-to-make-room-for-cb-demarcus-van-dyke/

Count Steeler
11-05-2013, 03:40 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/11/steelers-waive-cb-isaiah-green-to-make-room-for-cb-demarcus-van-dyke/

The season is saved.

tube517
11-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Championship!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

steelreserve
11-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Brilliant! I get the idea that any moves we make at this point are going to have the same result as this guy trying to do brain surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoTa5_2coCE

NCSteeler
11-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I said in another thread, this team defense could make huge strides with a real 3-4 NT. D has been failing since Hamptons best days were behind him. I would be nice to think that McClendon would be awesome, but in the era of lots of teams playing 3-4 , the days of signing an un-drafted (cut multiple times) NT and thinking you a a gem are long gone. The whole defensive system fails if the Nose can't handle a double team , maintain and allow the rushers to come free and allow the ILBs to stay clean at the point of attack, all that makes the back 4 look even better. McClendon gets push , that's nice if your a 4-3 interior guy, NTs are paid to hold up 2 guys and maintain position, which allows the LBers to do their jobs

BnG_Hevn
11-06-2013, 12:22 PM
I think the Patriots are showing the same pattern they did in the early 2000s: First half they either just hold their own *OR* get dominated (see Miami Game 2 weeks ago) and in the second half, they come out guns blazing and totally decimate their opponents.

So I ask you, what COULD << cheating(((cough))) >> the common denominator be?

And I'm not just talking about the Steelers, we all know they are on a downslide and that no team that has any kind of talent needs to cheat to beat, but it looks awful suspicious for the Patriots.

Craic
11-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I think the Patriots are showing the same pattern they did in the early 2000s: First half they either just hold their own *OR* get dominated (see Miami Game 2 weeks ago) and in the second half, they come out guns blazing and totally decimate their opponents.

So I ask you, what COULD << cheating(((cough))) >> the common denominator be?

And I'm not just talking about the Steelers, we all know they are on a downslide and that no team that has any kind of talent needs to cheat to beat, but it looks awful suspicious for the Patriots.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Like I said in another thread, the play ran against the defense on that long TD was too perfect. The WRs ran right through the seams of the 3 deep zone and Brady didn't even bother to look back to his left before spinning and chucking the football.

ALLD
11-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Honestly I never really got upset this last game game until Tomlin put Ben in and had him passing the ball on that series. It screamed cluelessness. As if this guy has no idea what to do to reach his team.

I'm not saying to fire Tomlin, but man I'm getting serious doubts that he's up to the task of fixing things.

Tomlin might be the guy who can win with an established team, but he is having difficulty building his own. Did he win with Tony Dungy's guys in Tampa?

Just like in politics. Some presidents are good for peacetime and others just screw everything up no matter what.