PDA

View Full Version : Put yourself in Tomlin's place today, what are you saying, and doing?

zulater
11-04-2013, 06:03 AM
You're Mike Tomlin, you wake up this morning and what's the course you're setting?

Me, I do what Mike Shanahan did last year with the Redskins and announce that we're playing for jobs in 2014. I know Shanahan took a lot of flac for that, but it may have been what his team needed at the time. And I'm not even looking at this as a psychological ploy, this season is in effect over. That's not to say you don't coach and play to win every game. But you got to decide now who is part of your future and who is your past and allot playing time accordingly.

Or at least that's how I'd handle it. What say you?

NJarhead
11-04-2013, 06:14 AM
You're Mike Tomlin, you wake up this morning and what's the course you're setting?

Me, I do what Mike Shanahan did last year with the Redskins and announce that we're playing for jobs in 2014. I know Shanahan took a lot of flac for that, but it may have been what his team needed at the time. And I'm not even looking at this as a psychological ploy, this season is in effect over. That's not to say you don't coach and play to win every game. But you got to decide now who is part of your future and who is your past and allot playing time accordingly.

Or at least that's how I'd handle it. What say you?

He's basically been saying that for the last several weeks. We just don't have the personnel on the roster (defensively) to turn to. I think it's safe to say that many players are losing their jobs next year if they don't show "something" in the remaining eight games. Though, I think it's a little bit of age and a little bit of inexperience on defense.

One person who can sleep easy is Heyward. He's been a beast.

Steeldude
11-04-2013, 06:15 AM
If I am Tomlin I would realize I am not a head coach. I would go back to being a DBs coach until I learn more about the game : )

NJarhead
11-04-2013, 07:34 AM
If I am Tomlin I would realize I am not a head coach. I would go back to being a DBs coach until I learn more about the game : )

Oh really?

He's 65-38 with a two SB appearances, one SB win and three division titles in 6 1/2 seasons.

Slow down. You have your whole life ahead of you; you don't have to be as narrow minded as possible all in one day.

Stupid question in 1....2....3.....

stillers4me
11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Drink heavily.

Mojouw
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Mike Tomlin did not instruct Clark and Polamalu to incorrectly guess routes multiple times as the deep coverage safeties leading to easy completions. I am sure he didn't instruct Ike Taylor to get abused by Dobson on a long touchdown.

This is an otherwise decent football team that is done in by its inability to pass-block and rush the passer. Not very complicated. In a pass crazy league if you can not rush the opposing team's QB and you can not give your own time, then you are going to lose a ton of football games.

fansince'76
11-04-2013, 11:21 AM
This is an otherwise decent football team that is done in by its inability to pass-block and rush the passer. Not very complicated. In a pass crazy league if you can not rush the opposing team's QB and you can not give your own time, then you are going to lose a ton of football games.

In a nutshell, this.

Psycho Ward 86
11-04-2013, 11:49 AM
The standard is the stanrad so next man up. Defend every blade of grass and do not go quietly. Unleash hell.

NJarhead
11-04-2013, 11:51 AM
The standard is the stanrad so next man up. Defend every blade of grass and do not go quietly. Unleash hell.

Are you anti-Tomlin?

If so, since when and why?

Psycho Ward 86
11-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Are you anti-Tomlin?

If so, since when and why?

no it was supposed to be a joke

NJarhead
11-04-2013, 12:04 PM
no it was supposed to be a joke

Okay, in that case I'll change my reply to

Obviously.

tube517
11-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Is Fox going to bring back House? Because I always have a back up plan :chuckle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
I'd seriously consider giving Woodley his walking papers. He's not having a bad year, but hardly worth what were paying, might as well take the cap hit as soon as possible.

Bluecoat96
11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm not generally a "doom and gloom" kind of guy. Anyone who follows me on here or on other social media sites will know that right away. I'm generally a giant smart-ass who enjoys having a good time online. Just ask Jamison Hensley. (heehee) That being said, I am really starting to question Tomlin's head coaching abilities based on this year and the last 1/2 of last year. We'll see what happens the rest of the year, but my confidence is wavering a little.

Ok....now back to being a smart-ass.

Texasteel
11-04-2013, 01:57 PM

I agree with you bud. I can see talent on this team, but the talent seems not to be playing up to their ability. I'm not giving the players a free pass by no means, but when you see a team, particularly our team, so confused and uncertain you have to wonder. I'm not even going to lay all the blame at Tomlins feet. Even the best of coaches need good people around them, and that is where I am starting to have question. Game plans, adjustments, teaching the system, conditioning, and I don't think you could coach an OL to be this bad even if you tried to.

Shoes
11-04-2013, 02:03 PM

I remember Dan Rooney's response to Tomlin and other coaches who used this line last spring.

"You can't say that you're trying to build up a young guy in his first or second year and get him to be able to play; you can't say that if you get your first-line guy hurt that you're going to put one of these guys in here and they'll play the same."

Steeldude
11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Oh really?

He's 65-38 with a two SB appearances, one SB win and three division titles in 6 1/2 seasons.

Slow down. You have your whole life ahead of you; you don't have to be as narrow minded as possible all in one day.

Stupid question in 1....2....3.....

See how you couldn't keep me on ignore? Don't make me ask you a question. I know how you have been proven to fear them

Note the smiley face at the end of the post.

Spike
11-05-2013, 11:35 AM
If I was Tomlin I'd fire Haley

shitcanning a punter just won't do this time

JayC
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
we have way too many holes. someone needs to take the blame and be fired. i'd say tomlin since he runs the show.

WR - we need a big guy who can stretch the field and win jump balls
TE - we need a new heath miller. hes looking slow this year coming off the injury. still 100x better than our backup paulson who is a joke of a nfl player.
OT - we need 2 of these. mike adams is a bust, gilbert as well.
DT - mclendon is no casey hampton, maybe try him at end over ziggy hood
ILB - our inability to stop the run really has me missing the days of James Farrior, we need a new JF.
DE - ziggy hood is a bust if i've ever saw one
OLB - woodley is slow and only good for garbage time sacks, jarvis jones is struggling more than i expected. need to give jones time to develop but woodley needs to go.
CB - for the love of god, why did we get william gay back. not good enough for the cardinals but good enough for the steelers. what a joke. keenan lewis is twice the CB william gay could ever dream of being.
S - let's be honest clark and polamalu's best days are behind them.

NJarhead
11-05-2013, 11:53 AM
See how you couldn't keep me on ignore? Don't make me ask you a question. I know how you have been proven to fear them

Note the smiley face at the end of the post.

Here we go....

Way to address what I wrote. :rolleyes:

Dwinsgames
11-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I agree with you bud. I can see talent on this team, but the talent seems not to be playing up to their ability. I'm not giving the players a free pass by no means, but when you see a team, particularly our team, so confused and uncertain you have to wonder. I'm not even going to lay all the blame at Tomlins feet. Even the best of coaches need good people around them, and that is where I am starting to have question. Game plans, adjustments, teaching the system, conditioning, and I don't think you could coach an OL to be this bad even if you tried to.

I agree to a point , however I do lay the blame at Tomlins feet .... reason being it is his job to oversee and manage every aspect of the football team and if things are going bad and not changing he NEEDS to step in and make changes and we just have not seen that happen ....

I do not question Lebeaus ability it would be stupid to do so but he is handcuffed because his scheme is predicated on pressure and when the players are not providing that pressure the scheme fails for me that falls on Colbert because he assembles the roster via the draft and FA and Butler because the linebackers are his responsibility and they are the ones who need to apply that pressure in this scheme .....

Haleys system looks bad but at the end of the day he was set up to fail because the line is abysmal , the Line coach sucks and NOBODY is doing anything about it , for the most part these guys all played a season ago for us with much different results they all have regressed there is nothing to do but blame the coach responsible for the unit unless we are to believe everyone of those guys played over their ability last year and for me that is to much of a stretch in logic ......

Haley is a dickhead nobody will get any arguement from me in that regard but he is a solid football coach at the Coordinator level his resume does not lie its unfortunate he will not get the chance to have his system shine here because he won't be back ... it isnt a sacrificial lamb thing though its the off field issues that will get him canned IMO the Rooneys won't tolerate that sort of stuff and are smart enough football men to know he did not have a chance to excel with the line play being what it is

Colberts lack of good drafting ( forget what the pundits say ) have cost this team dearly for years and its taken its toll on the level of talent left on the roster , we have very few young guys able to take jobs and playing time from the Old Vets and many of the young guys that have proven worth are leaving via FA because of mismanagement of the cap by Kahn / Colbert , they have taken far to many calculated risks with the cap and it has bitten them in the proverbial ass .. I understand impart it was due to mystical window of opportunity they envisioned but they where bitten none the less but the bigger problem is they have not learned from it and are still sending money into the future against the cap ....

Tomlins message is stale , nobody is buying his fancy pants talk anymore , there comes a time where everyone wakes up and realizes talk is cheap , this team has woke up to that if nothing else IMO he has lost the team and I am not sure what if anything he can do to get them back at this point ....

Remember Tomlin inherited a seasoned group of Vets 2 years removed from hoisting the Lombardi he managed to get them back there not once but twice and win one , those players are for the most part gone now and it does not appear we have the answers of viable replacements for them to date ....

I could go on all day but I have bored you all enough for one post

Shoes
11-05-2013, 02:06 PM
I agree, Dwins. On the Rooneys, they are business men and will tolerate what benefits the team & pocketbook.

Steeldude
11-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Here we go....

Way to address what I wrote. :rolleyes:

There is no need because you are only here to hurl insults, as usual. Didn't you say you put me on ignore? Yes or no? I told you that your obsession with me would not allow you to do it. You should put me back on ignore before you have another insult-laden tantrum : )

NCSteeler
11-07-2013, 07:40 AM
we have way too many holes. someone needs to take the blame and be fired. i'd say tomlin since he runs the show.

WR - we need a big guy who can stretch the field and win jump balls - Strangely we counted on an old Burress to be this guy, worse yet so did a our Professional coaches
TE - we need a new heath miller. hes looking slow this year coming off the injury. still 100x better than our backup paulson who is a joke of a nfl player. - seems there are many solid TEs coming out fo college these days
OT - we need 2 of these. mike adams is a bust, gilbert as well. - I think Either could be solid at RT, but we must finally get a true LT
DT - mclendon is no casey hampton, maybe try him at end over ziggy hood - more and more every day I think this is our biggest problem on Defense
ILB - our inability to stop the run really has me missing the days of James Farrior, we need a new JF. - see above, a true NT keeps the LBers clean in the gaps to stop the run, Ray Lewis was a bum the year Goose retired
DE - ziggy hood is a bust if i've ever saw one - True, in a 3-4 he's a bust. I still think he could have value for a 4-3 team
OLB - woodley is slow and only good for garbage time sacks, jarvis jones is struggling more than i expected. need to give jones time to develop but woodley needs to go. - Woodley is having a better year than appears, but I'm tired of him
CB - for the love of god, why did we get william gay back. not good enough for the cardinals but good enough for the steelers. what a joke. keenan lewis is twice the CB william gay could ever dream of being. ---THIS
S - let's be honest clark and polamalu's best days are behind them. - I still think Troy can be a good safety when he's not trying too hard to do too much, Clarks days are over

I don't hold Tomlin wholly accountable, because why would we pay all these top scouts and GMs and execs, if they were just gonna defer to Tomlin on every pick. And yes we have plenty of holes to fill, tooo many to have 80 mil tied up in just a few players

NJarhead
11-07-2013, 07:53 AM
There is no need because you are only here to hurl insults, as usual. Didn't you say you put me on ignore? Yes or no? I told you that your obsession with me would not allow you to do it. You should put me back on ignore before you have another insult-laden tantrum : )

I took you off ignore.

So, you're not going to address what I wrote then? Then why reply at all?

There's your question answered and two questions for you to answer. Let's see how this works in reverse.

Steeldude
11-07-2013, 08:48 AM
There is no point. You will start crying and start in with your usual insults. It's been proven multiple times.

NJarhead
11-07-2013, 08:53 AM
There is no point. You will start crying and start in with your usual insults. It's been proven multiple times.

But I haven't insulted you here (and I wouldn't talk about crying either). This isn't meant to be an insult either, but wouldn't accusing someone of running in fear for not answering your question and then not acknowledging that they answered your question, combined with not answering theirs, make you a hypocrite?

hyp·o·crite
noun \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\

: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Ex. the hypocrites who criticize other people for not voting but who don't always vote themselves

tube517
11-07-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm not generally a "doom and gloom" kind of guy. Anyone who follows me on here or on other social media sites will know that right away. I'm generally a giant smart-ass who enjoys having a good time online. Just ask Jamison Hensley. (heehee) That being said, I am really starting to question Tomlin's head coaching abilities based on this year and the last 1/2 of last year. We'll see what happens the rest of the year, but my confidence is wavering a little.

Ok....now back to being a smart-ass.

Me, too. :chuckle:

fansince'76
11-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Not to nitpick, but you might want to think about changing your avatar. :chuckle:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=57&dateline=1275189001

steelreserve
11-07-2013, 10:17 AM
If I were Tomlin, I'd probably be burning down my house for the insurance money, and then saying "I didn't burn down my house."

Dwinsgames
11-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Put yourself in Tomlin's place today, what are you saying, and doing? (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18657-Put-yourself-in-Tomlin-s-place-today-what-are-you-saying-and-doing)

they'll crush us we suck , while packing my house up for the upcoming move

Steeldude
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
But I haven't insulted you here (and I wouldn't talk about crying either). This isn't meant to be an insult either, but wouldn't accusing someone of running in fear for not answering your question and then not acknowledging that they answered your question, combined with not answering theirs, make you a hypocrite?

Once again, we have through this before. You aren't emotionally stable enough to have discussions. That was proven multiple times. You will go right back into personal attacks. It's no big deal. I am used to people like you on the Internet. Don't beat yourself up over it : )

NJarhead
11-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Once again, we have through this before. You aren't emotionally stable enough to have discussions. That was proven multiple times. You will go right back into personal attacks. It's no big deal. I am used to people like you on the Internet. Don't beat yourself up over it : )

Well, it would appear that you're wrong here. I don't understand you. But that's fine. You have yourself a nice day.

Steeldude
11-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Well, it would appear that you're wrong here. I don't understand you. But that's fine. You have yourself a nice day.

Your posts prove me to be correct. Yep, have a good one and remember to control that anger. : )

NJarhead
11-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Your posts prove me to be correct. Yep, have a good one and remember to control that anger. : )

Thank you.

Don't assume that I'm angry. I'm not.

Texasteel
11-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Once again, please keep your posts to the threads topic, and not the member. If I have to I will delete any post you direct towards each other. please don't force me to do that.

NJarhead
11-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Once again, please keep your posts to the threads topic, and not the member. If I have to I will delete any post you direct towards each other. please don't force me to do that.

Sorry Tex. I think we're both done here.

To get back on topic, I think Tomlin has said and done all he can and all he should.