PDA

View Full Version : another example of doing too much for religion...?

Kaeg
08-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Sometimes I just don't see any sense in what many religions would have you do/not do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ramadan-means-no-water-during-workouts-for-Husai;_ylt=An6EdElFCy7x7ZzNMAh66cQdsLYF?urn=nfl-261068

I'm sure there may be many who would disagree with me, and that's just fine. This is just my opinion.

vasteeler
08-10-2010, 10:12 AM
he is going to not eat and drink his way out of the nfl

Wallace108
08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
That's risky, but unless he's a recent convert, I guess he's always done it this way. So whatever. Still, of all teams, it figures it would be the Vikings who would have to worry about it after what happened to Korey Stringer.

LLT
08-10-2010, 12:17 PM
A lot of religions use fasting as a means to temporarily "seperate" themselves from the materialism of the world (including Christianity), but few also include not having anything to drink in that time period. Christianity encourages fasting when the believer feels led to do it...usually when seeking guidance.

On a side note: When I was in the Middle East...if I remember right...during Ramadan the Muslims not only fasted but they were not allowed to have sex from sunup to sundown!!! .:uhoh:

I think they have an additional week of fasting the following month called the "white week" or the "white six"...or something like that. So Abdullah (and the Vikes) are going to have to deal with this all over again. it wont be as hot...but he will still have to practice without fluids.

steelerdude15
08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Sorry, but If I was in the NFL and was in a religion that does that, I would still drink water. No point in risking your life.

Hindes204
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
On a side note: When I was in the Middle East...if I remember right...during Ramadan the Muslims not only fasted but they were not allowed to have sex from sunup to sundown!!! .:uhoh:

It sucked being over there during Ramadan, I was over there twice during it and we weren't allowed to drink or eat around them. When I was in Iraq we were training the Iraqis so we were around them all day, I had to go inside away from them to drink some water so as not to offend them....it sucked

As far as the reciever, it's not healthy to do thAt, he will lose a lot of strength and stamina because of this....to each his own I guess

LLT
08-10-2010, 01:14 PM
It sucked being over there during Ramadan, I was over there twice during it and we weren't allowed to drink or eat around them. When I was in Iraq we were training the Iraqis so we were around them all day, I had to go inside away from them to drink some water so as not to offend them....it sucked

As far as the reciever, it's not healthy to do thAt, he will lose a lot of strength and stamina because of this....to each his own I guess

I sooooo thought you were going to say that it sucked to not have sex from sunup to sundown!!!

st33lersguy
08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
He is going to look bad in practice and dehydrate. I don't see him making the team, especially now

SteelCityMan786
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM
A lot of religions use fasting as a means to temporarily "seperate" themselves from the materialism of the world (including Christianity), but few also include not having anything to drink in that time period. Christianity encourages fasting when the believer feels led to do it...usually when seeking guidance.

That only takes place though on Good Friday and Ash Wednesday during Lent. Friday's we can't eat meat. They(Muslims) have to do it 30 days straight.

CantStop85
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
One of my cross country teammates in college practiced Islam and did the whole fasting for a month deal right in the middle of our season. Needless to say he struggled quite a bit and there were days I literally thought he might keel over and die.

Oh well, to each their own. I'll just say there's no way this ends well for a professional athlete.

BigNastyDefense
08-11-2010, 12:26 AM
There is a rule that if you have a job as a professional athlete and that job is your main source of income, then you can drink water during the day but that's it. I would use that rule at least so I stay hydrated if I were him.