PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: NHL burns while Bettman fiddles

vader29
11-02-2013, 11:49 AM
The NHL is an institutional irony in that it oversees what those who love hockey feel is the world's greatest game, but it does so with a maddening mix of indecisiveness, inconsistency and outright idiocy.

Yeah, and I guess this is as fine a time as any to say good morning to Gary Bettman.

Because that's the only greeting that makes sense given his glaring silence through three sickening scenes over the past 10 days, all of which demanded authoritative responses at the institutional level and received nothing of the kind:

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/4993538-74/bettman-emery-nhl

fansince'76
11-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Say what you will about Roger Goodell having overstepped his bounds with Ben Roethlisberger and the Saints' bounties and Aaron Hernandez and other punishments. But no one can accuse him of just sitting back and waiting for the NFL brand to get damaged.

Yet the end result is still the same, no? :noidea:

Craic
11-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Yet the end result is still the same, no? :noidea:

No. Any kind of metric applied other than "in the olden days" shows the two going in opposite directions. Let's taket he most basic two: total team revenue (minus operating costs) and fanbase:

TEAM GAIN/LOSS NHL - despite record income as a league in 2011, eighteen of the thirty teams (http://www.ranker.com/list/nhl-teams-values-2012/w1z1k?limit=100) lost money in 2012. NFL? 1 team, Detroit Lines.

ATTENDANCE NFL has sixteen games spread between 32 teams. NHL has 82 games between 30 teams. Yet, total NHL attendance is 21,470,155. Total NFL attendance is 17,124,389. That means by comparison, the NFL brings in almost four times as many fans to each game. Since 2009, the NHL has lost an average of five fans per team (attendance records). The NFL however, has gained an average of 2561 fans per team (attendance records).

I know Goodell hate runs rampant, but under his leadership, the product being put out to the public has done well. In comparison, the product the NHL has produced is failing. Once again, I couldn't care less for the man, but there's no denying his leadership in strengthening the product put to market. And in the end, "Brand damage" = loss of sales. THe above shows the NFL doesn't suffer from brand damage at all, which makes sense, since Goodell's primary position is "Protect the Shield."

fansince'76
11-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I know Goodell hate runs rampant, but under his leadership, the product being put out to the public has done well. In comparison, the product the NHL has produced is failing. Once again, I couldn't care less for the man, but there's no denying his leadership in strengthening the product put to market. And in the end, "Brand damage" = loss of sales. THe above shows the NFL doesn't suffer from brand damage at all, which makes sense, since Goodell's primary position is "Protect the Shield."

All I know is I'm watching NFL football less and less and have become increasingly apathetic towards the "product," particularly over the last 3 years. I've watched no football this year besides the Steelers. And Goodell has had a LOT to do with that. Making the "product" more appealing to casual fans that watch maybe 2 games a year and fantasy football nerds with pinball machine-like scoring by effectively neutering defensive football may be ultimately better for the league's bottom line, but it doesn't necessarily make the "product" better, IMO.

X-Terminator
11-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I personally loved the brawl and think the league needs more of it. Yeah, Emery probably went overboard, but where the fuck were Holtby's teammates? The fact that not one of those pussies stepped in to help him is more disgusting than what Emery did or the brawl itself. Bottom line, fights are entertaining, and more entertainment = more money for the league. I'm sick to death of the league constantly catering to the anti-fighting and anti-physical play pussified fans and continuing to ruin the game. It's almost to the point where it's unwatchable, and when something like this happens, it reminds me of one of the reasons why I got hooked on the sport. Leave the NHL alone, dammit.

Oh yeah, get bent, Dejan. Stick to football.

zulater
11-02-2013, 02:36 PM
7-0 game and the losing goalie assaults yours, and that's ok XT? Yeah someone should have came to his defense. But I guess that old hockey code got in the way mano y mano. Imagine if that was Fleury and we lost him for the next month because a punk sore loser decided since he couldn't play goal worth a fart that night the best action was to physically attack his counterpart. Yeah that makes sense.

X-Terminator
11-02-2013, 02:45 PM
7-0 game and the losing goalie assaults yours, and that's ok XT? Yeah someone should have came to his defense. But I guess that old hockey code got in the way mano y mano. Imagine if that was Fleury and we lost him for the next month because a punk sore loser decided since he couldn't play goal worth a fart that night the best action was to physically attack his counterpart. Yeah that makes sense.

See, that wouldn't have happened, because Fleury actually has fought before (albeit in junior), and there wouldn't be any Penguins standing around with their thumbs up their asses. Hell, 2 years ago in the Islanders brawl, one of the Pens actually left the bench to protect his goalie. That's what SHOULD have happened here, or at the very least his teammate that was STANDING NEXT TO HIM would have jumped in rather than complain to the referee.

The league is already too damn sterile and has basically become figure skating with sticks and a puck. Again, leave the game alone and let the players police themselves. The way it used to be done before NBA Bettman took over.

zulater
11-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Sorry, but that was assault. That would be the same as if the Steelers were losing 28-0 so Ben goes and tears across the field to pummel Brady. Well actually that doesn't sound so bad! :chuckle:

X-Terminator
11-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Sorry, but that was assault. That would be the same as if the Steelers were losing 28-0 so Ben goes and tears across the field to pummel Brady. Well actually that doesn't sound so bad! :chuckle:

Different sports, different rules. You can say what you want about Emery, but to me, if you see your goalie, who clearly does not want to fight, getting pummeled, get your sorry ass in there and help him. If I were Holtby, I'd be pissed at my teammates more than Emery.

zulater
11-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Different sports, different rules. You can say what you want about Emery, but to me, if you see your goalie, who clearly does not want to fight, getting pummeled, get your sorry ass in there and help him. If I were Holtby, I'd be pissed at my teammates more than Emery.

Sorry, but Emery kept pounding away with haymakers at the back of the head of a guy who couldn't defend himself. I've seen boxers that wouldn't be able to take that sort of beating without going lights out. Imagine if Downie would have collapsed and had to have been hospitalized. Had that happened arrest warrant's are being issued.

Holmgren should be suspended for at least a month. Emery the same. The flyers coach at least two weeks.

vader29
11-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Supposedly one of the refs held players back from going to help out Holtby. I like a good fight every now and then but what Emery did definitely went too far and has no place in the league.

stillers4me
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Supposedly one of the refs held players back from going to help out Holtby. I like a good fight every now and then but what Emery did definitely went too far and has no place in the league.

I agree. Scuffles are good fun to watch but that was outright assault.

X-Terminator
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Well then the refs should also be held accountable for that.

And Zu, sorry, but again, I'm sick of the league becoming pussified, just like the NFL is. Eventually I'm going to start tuning out completely if it continues, and that includes giving up my season tickets. I'm not paying to watch Disney on Ice.

Devilsdancefloor
11-02-2013, 04:55 PM
i totally agree with XT it is hockey someone should have had his back! and as far as ben beating on bradley apples and oranges it is part of hockey (well it was).

fansince'76
11-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm not paying to watch Disney on Ice.

http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/640864_Mickey-and-Friends-Ice-Hockey.jpg

:chuckle:

stillers4me
11-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Oh yeah, get bent, Dejan. Stick to football.

:lol: Eric, was that you?

X-Terminator
11-03-2013, 07:56 AM

:lol: Eric, was that you?

Yep, that was me! It was because he mistakenly called the Flyers' Steve Downie a fighter ONLY, when in fact he is a pretty good player. He played on the top line in Colorado and was putting up good numbers before being traded, and had decent numbers when he was in Tampa playing on a line with Vinny Lecavalier. So yeah, he should stick to football, because he knows nothing about hockey beyond the Penguins.

Craic
11-03-2013, 09:47 AM
All I know is I'm watching NFL football less and less and have become increasingly apathetic towards the "product," particularly over the last 3 years. I've watched no football this year besides the Steelers. And Goodell has had a LOT to do with that. Making the "product" more appealing to casual fans that watch maybe 2 games a year and fantasy football nerds with pinball machine-like scoring by effectively neutering defensive football may be ultimately better for the league's bottom line, but it doesn't necessarily make the "product" better, IMO.
But, that's a relative assessment. I personally happen to agree with you. I enjoy defensive strategy. Always have. I don't watch any football but the Steelers anymore either. However, part of that isn't the game itself, its the players and coaches, it's the fact that I understand the playoff system so much better now that I can't watch a game without thinking, "whose win will best help the Steelers." In short, I can't watch a game to enjoy a game anymore because over the last few years, I've developed too many dislikes.

But I think you're overestimating the amount of scoring that's happening. Last year, there were 22.8 points per game on average by a team in the NFL. That puts last years season at number 4 all time. The three above were 1948, 1965, 1950. 10, 11, and 12th place have years 2011, 2010, and 2008. But on average, those scores were only a few tenths of a point above a buttload of other years. There's also other years, like the late 40's early 50's that are grouped at the top. To be honest, the last major jump in scoring was in 1947 when team scoring per game increased by 3 points a game from 19 points to 22 points. As of 2012, average scoring is 22.8 points a game. Not much of a difference.

Another major change between the two leagues is that the NFL seems to embrace it's heritage. The NHL however, has destroyed its heritage. The changed all the league names, spit on some of the oldest hockey cities, stripped Canada of a few teams early on in Bettman's career, and pretty much destroyed the oral traditions of the NHL.

I know you have a great dislike for Goodell, but IMO, with the lawsuits, everything that's coming about about head-injuries, etc., it doesn't matter WHO was in that office, it would end up the same way. That's because the game and the players have progressed. Bigger, faster, harder, creates different strategy, but also different types of injuries when bodies collide. Personally, I'd say leave the rules the way they were a few years ago and instead, add five yards to each side of the field and five yards to the endzone. But if they did that, everyone would be yelling that they're ruining the game.

Basically, people want things static, but in a dynamic environment of sports, that will never happen.

X-Terminator
11-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Taken from hockeyfights.com:

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told the Columbus Dispatch on Saturday that an incident during the line brawl between the Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers on Friday has caused the league to consider making changes to the NHL rulebook.

The incident in question occurred when Flyers goalie Ray Emery charged down the ice and attacked Capitals goalie Braden Holtby. Emery clearly caught Holtby off guard, and the fight quickly turned into something resembling an assault. Emery admitted after the game that he attacked the Caps netminder even though Holtby said didn't want to fight.

Emery was not punished by the league, essentially because the NHL rulebook doesn't account for that specific situation. Bettman, who was in Columbus to announce the 2015 NHL All-Star Game, acknowledged that the NHL was not happy with the incident and indicated the league is considering changing the rulebook at the next general managers meeting.

"We constantly monitor and look at the game," Bettman said. "There was no rule that was violated to elevate things to the level of a suspension. It's something we'll continue to discuss.

"I don't think anybody liked it, liked what it looked like. Fortunately it's not something that happens very often. But I'm sure it's something we'll focus on, particularly with the general managers."
Bettman also addressed the rise in player suspensions this season across the league. In one month, the NHL Department of Player Safety has suspended four players for a total of 22 games for illegal hits. Bettman called the rise in suspensions and rule changes an attempt at "effectuating a change" in how the game is played across the NHL.

From Hockey Night in Canada's "Hot Stove" on what might be discussed in future league/club, GM, NHLPA meetings:

- Fining teams for player(s) conduct.

- Mandatory suspension if goalie crosses blue line to fight

- Automatic suspension (pending review) for a player who fights with goalie

- Instigator rule in last 5 minutes extended to entire 3rd period

- Potential suspensions for instigator penalties

They pass all of these rules, I'm finished with the NHL. I'm so sick and tired of this bullshit every time someone gets a little emotional and does something "they don't like." The game has already gotten boring enough as it is, taken almost all of the emotion and physicality out of it - why don't they just leave it alone? Again, I'm not interested in watching glorified ice dancing with sticks and a puck - I want REAL HOCKEY.

Craic
11-04-2013, 02:37 PM
In short, they want European Hockey. No thanks.

Spike
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Sorry, but Emery kept pounding away with haymakers at the back of the head of a guy who couldn't defend himself. I've seen boxers that wouldn't be able to take that sort of beating without going lights out. Imagine if Downie would have collapsed and had to have been hospitalized. Had that happened arrest warrant's are being issued.

Holmgren should be suspended for at least a month. Emery the same. The flyers coach at least two weeks.

I have to agree - that ref wouldn't let others even try and break up the fight

bayz101
11-05-2013, 12:21 PM
In short, they want European Hockey. No thanks.

This.

Spike
11-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Pens get drubbed 5-1 by the Rangers , missed way too many wide open scoring chances early

X-Terminator
11-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Nah, it's more like they ate too many hot dogs and decided a 4-game winning streak was enough, so they took the night off. As I always say, if you're not interested in playing, then stay in the hotel. Don't mind 2-1 losses, but I have no tolerance for the careless shit like they did tonight.

Spike
11-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Nah, it's more like they ate too many hot dogs and decided a 4-game winning streak was enough, so they took the night off. As I always say, if you're not interested in playing, then stay in the hotel. .

they came out flying and were out-skating the Rangers and just didn't connect - when all the easy shots missed that's when they said the hell with it - you could see they knew the handwriting was on the wall in this one after the 4th or 5th wide open miss - I turned them off after the 2nd p - it was over