PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' offense searches for remedy

zulater
11-02-2013, 05:09 AM
The stat sheet provides the Steelers' offense a sobering reality.
The Steelers (2-5), who play at New England (6-2) on Sunday, rank 29th in scoring, 23rd in total offense and 30th in red-zone touchdown percentage. Only winless Jacksonville and Tampa Bay have fewer than the Steelers' 11 touchdowns (eight passing, three rushing).
The Steelers have scored 20 points only twice in a game — and lost both (against Minnesota and Chicago). They have averaged 18.7 points the past three games, including wins over the New York Jets and Baltimore.
“We're just not clicking yet,” running back Le'Veon Bell said. “Once we get there, we'll put up some points. I just can't put my finger on why we're struggling in the red zone.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4962339-74/steelers-offense-points#ixzz2jTuvqCvy
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I've got a solution. Fire Todd Haley!

zulater
11-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said he isn't holding anything back in the first quarter despite a reluctance to deviate from a 10-play script designed to bolster the offense's confidence.
“We're not a feel-out-the-defense type of team, which I know some West Coast guys do,” Haley said. “They're showing you every formation they've got to see how you're going to play to it. I've never really believed in that.
“You better run your best plays because you may not have another chance. We're running what we think are our best runs and passes. We've had some success.
“Other than (against Tennessee in Week 1), it's the second or third series before we get going. We've got to just keep trying to dig and figure out what gives us the best chance to get out of the gates a little better.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4962339-74/steelers-offense-points#ixzz2jUSsBadC
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Anyone else see these comments as being absurd? First off it's actually about the 4th or 5th series before the offense shows any signs of life. Why?

Todd, your 10 play script sucks! It's not until circumstances dictate that you abandon your crappy script and game plan that the offense gains any traction! :frusty:

Here's a clue to how bad it is. In Ben's career he's had 3 offensive coordinators. For the most part Ken Whisenhunt was liked and respected by the fan base. I'm not saying he didn't have his share of detractors. After a bad game the OC is always going to take some shots. But for the most part people thought he did a good job with what he had.

Arians obviously had many critics. But he also had some fiercely loyal supporters. The quarterback being chief among them. So where's Haley's loyalists? They don't exist as far as I can tell. That's telling.

ALLD
11-02-2013, 07:29 AM
:::fumble:::

GoSlash27
11-02-2013, 08:46 AM
So where's Haley's loyalists? They don't exist as far as I can tell. That's telling.
Not terribly. Whisenhunt and Arians were here long enough to develop their systems and earn superbowl rings. Haley hasn't even been here a season and a half.
Not saying he doesn't suck, but the fact that he doesn't have loyalists isn't telling at all. It's not even surprising.

stillers4me
11-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Funny thing is, it doesn't look to me like we get any traction until the 4th quarter most games. :noidea:

Count Steeler
11-02-2013, 09:35 AM
If that is what he really thinks, I would hope Tomlin would grab him by the ear and sit him down in front of the projector and ask him to specifically point out where this offense is getting traction.

Guy is delusional.

fansince'76
11-02-2013, 10:03 AM
http://qbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/denial.jpg

Devilsdancefloor
11-02-2013, 10:07 AM
AR2 doesnt seem to have the patients of his grandfather or father, so i dont see haley here after the year and i think Coach T better get something done soon, he talks a great game, but time to walk the walk gentlemen or you will be walking right out the door

Shoes
11-02-2013, 10:12 AM
http://qbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/denial.jpg

Yes, the three stooges……Art II, Tomlin and Haley!

stillers4me
11-02-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't know what makes me sicker....giving Haley another year to try and right the ship and wasting another year of Ben's career or starting all over yet again at this point of Ben's career.

Edman
11-02-2013, 10:36 AM
There are three sides of responsibility for this mess.

Ben, for failing to buy in and regressing.

Haley, for sheer incompetence.

Tomlin, for once again, doing absolutely nothing.

zulater
11-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Not terribly. Whisenhunt and Arians were here long enough to develop their systems and earn superbowl rings. Haley hasn't even been here a season and a half.
Not saying he doesn't suck, but the fact that he doesn't have loyalists isn't telling at all. It's not even surprising.

He's been here long enough to do exactly opposite of what he was brought in here to fix. The move was made to prolong Ben's career, to save him taking so many hits. Yet here he is on pace to be sacked more than at any other time in his career. Offensively we've hit rock bottom. Well save the two quarterback-less dregs in Florida. So how much longer would you propose he be given?

- - - Updated - - -

There are three sides of responsibility for this mess.

Ben, for failing to buy in and regressing.

Haley, for sheer incompetence.

Tomlin, for once again, doing absolutely nothing.

The more I look comparatively around the league the less I find Ben responsible. No running game, inconsistent offensive line, and terrible coaching are a hard load to haul.

GoSlash27
11-02-2013, 09:58 PM
He's been here long enough to do exactly opposite of what he was brought in here to fix. The move was made to prolong Ben's career, to save him taking so many hits. Yet here he is on pace to be sacked more than at any other time in his career. Offensively we've hit rock bottom. Well save the two quarterback-less dregs in Florida.
If you say so *shrug*

So how much longer would you propose he be given?
I don't recall *proposing* anything one way or the other. All I said is it's not "telling" that Haley doesn't have loyalists.

Shoes
11-03-2013, 11:34 AM
:chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWsKZVUMuKo