PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Coaching

Iron Steeler
10-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Tomlin- head coach... Never once have I said to myself . Wow Tomlin really out smarted the other guys there. I think he really depends on the personal and hope that his weekly gameplan works and will never shy away from it . But in game coaching , he is horrible .

Haley- I understand they want to keep Big Ben healthy by keeping him in he pocket but I feel like he doe most his damage outside the pocket . But whatever ehat I really hate about this offense is that there is no rhythm or momentum . Not there is any misdirection! I see the steelers line up and I can tell you before the play ya they are throwing a screen or they ate running to that gap. If I can tell I am sure the other team can tell.Plus smart move bringing in a coach that doesn't get along with the QB.

Dick lebau(how ever you spell it ) - love this guy really do . The players love him and respect him .BUT I think he has gotten to predictable too. What is up with this 3rd and soft ass zone coverage . I feel like we get pressure on the qb but you can easily gain a first down by throwing a 8 yard out route towards the sideline because heaven forbid we play bump and run coverage and force the qb and wr to make the perfect catch . I wouldn't be that upset to let him ride off after this year.

What I would like from my future coaches:

head coach: offensive mind . Inventive . Has a good relationship with the franchise QB(we got 5 more good years out of Ben)
OC: same as above ... And te ability to adapt or have a few plans of attack if the initial plan is not working .
DC- someone who is aggressive .. Not afraid to take chances early in the game . This bend but don't break approach is just to painful to watch

alright that's all I got and I'm tired and typed this on my iPhone so my apologies for the horrible grammar

Mistah Q
10-29-2013, 09:50 PM
I might be the only one on the planet who still likes Haley - we have a lot of systemic problems and a guy who could really help us out given appropriate talent to work with, is getting the shaft bigtime. Yeah the offense stinks, but the job on our o-line and our conditioning is just horrendous.

Psycho Ward 86
10-29-2013, 10:01 PM
it all started in the 2007 playoffs against the jaguars when he kept going for 2 when kicking extra points would have tied the game. Win back our trust Tomlin.

mrmajestyk
10-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Not a Tomlin or Haley fan but I agree with your statement that the Offense is hampered by the Offensive Line. Big Ben does not have a deep threat, no running game consistency and the defense has gotten old, something that the Rooney family never allowed to happen. In the past, this team has been known for the running game, a tough Offensive Line and a swarming physical defense. Right now I see a team that has no confidence, no swagger and no momentum. Changes are needed, it is obvious. It starts with the front office that gets the players and it goes through the entire coaching staff and some of the players.
I sure wish Cowher was here, he could light fires and he could organize but that is my 2 cents.

Mistah Q
10-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Cowher mailed it in his final year here, but to be fair he had a ton of personal stuff going on. I'd welcome his return.

fansince'76
10-29-2013, 10:58 PM
IMO, Smizik nails it here (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2013/10/29/Fire-Tomlin-Be-careful-for-what-you-wish/stories/201310290135).

Craic
10-29-2013, 11:09 PM
IMO, Smizik nails it here (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2013/10/29/Fire-Tomlin-Be-careful-for-what-you-wish/stories/201310290135).

The fact that the author can basically cut and paste an article from ten years ago, when Cowher was going through the same thing at virtually the same time in his career, is telling.

fansince'76
10-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Cowher mailed it in his final year here, but to be fair he had a ton of personal stuff going on. I'd welcome his return.

Somehow, I seriously doubt his mantra of "physically imposing your will on the opponent/punch the guy across from you in the mouth" would translate well to Goodell's new era of pussyball, especially when it wasn't an overly successful formula then, at least in the postseason...

Dwinsgames
10-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Somehow, I seriously doubt his mantra of "physically imposing your will on the opponent/punch the guy across from you in the mouth" would translate well to Goodell's new era of pussyball, especially when it wasn't an overly successful formula then, at least in the postseason...

at this point it is worth a shot because clearly what we are doing Is not working

fansince'76
10-30-2013, 12:03 AM
at this point it is worth a shot because clearly what we are doing Is not working

Considering there was never any love lost between Cowher and Art II and the fact that Art II clearly wields more power in the FO now than he did then, good luck with that. Besides, Cowher has shown next to no intention of giving up his cushy studio gig to go back to working 100 hours a week and sleeping in his office anyway.

Mistah Q
10-30-2013, 12:23 AM
Considering there was never any love lost between Cowher and Art II and the fact that Art II clearly wields more power in the FO now than he did then, good luck with that. Besides, Cowher has shown next to no intention of giving up his cushy studio gig to go back to working 100 hours a week and sleeping in his office anyway.
Oh I agree it's extremely unlikely to happen. But would it be a notable upgrade over the current... sure thing. He'd have to be given the complete Coach/GM control he wants and it's hard to see that happening here.

Steeldude
10-30-2013, 05:35 AM
But...but...Tomlin has a SB ring. Don't worry, Tomlin will whip up some Tomlinisms and all will be well again.

fansince'76
10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
But...but...Tomlin has a SB ring. Don't worry, Tomlin will whip up some Tomlinisms and all will be well again.

Yeah, and so does Cowher, and it took him 14 seasons to get one. Not only that, but the one he got was a result of probably the worst Super Bowl ever played and everybody but Steelers fans still insist it was gifted to us by the refs. What exactly did Cowher ever do to prove himself to be so "superior" to Tomlin? Lose 4 AFC Championship games at home? Stubbornly stick with Kordell as "his guy" for 5 seasons, wasting a good chunk of the Bus' prime in the process? A stretch of 3 losing seasons and 4 non-playoff seasons in a six-year span? What, exactly? The Smizik article I linked also highlights the fact that many of the same complaints about Tomlin now were also being made a decade ago about Cowher, and probably by many of the same people who are pining for Cowher to come back now. Imagine that. That's my point.

Mistah Q
10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Kordell may have sucked half the time but when he was on, it was beautiful. He got us to one more AFCC than that Mark Malone kid.

Just to make this post even more painful for y'all to read: Kent Graham Bubby Brister Tommy Maddox

NJarhead
10-30-2013, 08:55 AM

And I think Bouchette nails it here as well: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/10/29/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-29-13/stories/201310290150

stillthrillseeker: I was trolling through the weekly columns on the Steelers and haven't seen anyone call for Mike Tomlin's job yet. Why is the media protecting him?

Ed Bouchette: No one's protecting him. We just are not reactionaries who believe a coach with such a good resume should be jettisoned after one losing season. Sometimes, the solution to a problem is not "fire everyone!"

fansince'76
10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Kordell may have sucked half the time but when he was on, it was beautiful. He got us to one more AFCC than that Mark Malone kid.

Just to make this post even more painful for y'all to read: Kent Graham Bubby Brister Tommy Maddox

I think it bears mentioning that we passed on Drew Brees in the draft in '01 and would have passed on Roethlisberger in '04 as well had Dan Rooney not stepped in and overruled Cowher when Cowher wanted to take Shawn Andrews. And even if he had taken Brees in '01, I would put money on it that he would have failed to see what he had and let him get away for nothing just like his mentor Marty Schottenheimer did in San Diego.

Sure, we had substandard talent at QB for most of Cowher's tenure, but Cowher's mismanagement of the QB position in general (he didn't even bother to have a QB coach until '01) was at least partly to blame for that. And therein lies my biggest criticism of Cowher - he managed the QB position poorly, in my opinion, mainly because the QB position was an afterthought when it came to "Cowherball."

And this is why it kills me that people have also recently been calling for Ben to be cut loose as if franchise QBs are grown on trees or something.

Mistah Q
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I think Neil O'Donnell had greatness in him - granted he was drafted by Noll. Too bad that whole superbowl and contract situation went haywire and he wound up on some crummy teams before turning into McNair's career backup.

I'm totally in favor of trading Ben. He's by far our best player, but:

-He deserves a shot to finish his career in a place that will support him with proper O-line
-We have massive $$ tied up in him that isn't doing us any good when half the rest of the team is so terrible

We dug ourselves a hole that we're not going to get out of by retooling and trying to hang on to excessive money contracts. I'm well aware that we're unlikely to get another QB like him for the next 30 years but at the rate we're going he's got about three years left, and I don't expect us to field anything with a semblance of being honestly competitive in that timeframe if we hold onto his and a couple other massive contracts.

I never want the Steelers to lose or get rid of their stars, but if we're going to need to go through the pain of righting the ship, I'd rather just rip the bandage off and get it done.

Half of what got us into this mess was trying to hold on to components and keep that superbowl window open. I'd say it didn't work out for us, but hindsight is 20/20, and maybe some others consider getting to that Green Bay superbowl a success after all. No matter your feelings on the strategy itself, I think we can unequivocally say that the ship has sailed.

(which is baffling in a sense. we've invested so much in the O-line the past few seasons. If we'd managed to do any of it right at all, we'd be having a totally different discussion right now, cap warts and all. But... I guess we didn't)

BnG_Hevn
10-30-2013, 12:20 PM
He deserves a shot to finish his career in a place that will support him with proper O-line

That cracks me up. When things are good, the team "deserves" him but when things get rocky, all of a sudden Ben "deserves" to go to a "better" team?

How about all the money he's being paid; I don't think "deserves" plays into the equation at all. You make your decisions and go with it.

You can't have a team that is "playoff caliber" every single year in a 15 - 18 year career. That is funny.

NCSteeler
10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
(which is baffling in a sense. we've invested so much in the O-line the past few seasons. If we'd managed to do any of it right at all, we'd be having a totally different discussion right now, cap warts and all. But... I guess we didn't)
That about says it all. So the real ? Is whose fault is this under performing o line loade with high draft choices?

Shoes
10-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Douchette won't say anything that will cost him his parking space in Latrobe and Heinz Field.