PDA

View Full Version : This board is reminding me why I gave up on sports...

Mistah Q
10-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Come on folks.

Background - I used to be a massive Steelers nut. Knew obscure stats, the roster and positions down to the last man, details about the upcoming draft class, all of it... a few years ago I gave it up and began to focus my life on... other things.

I still follow the Steelers - they're my home team and they'll always be a part of me. But I'm quickly re-learning why it's not worth getting so invested. I come from a smaller message board, one with just a few folks - but those who were there really knew how to express valid points, argue without being nasty, etc. I migrated here because a lot of them did too, presumably to have more people to chat with.

The steelers are having a bad season, no doubt, and we all have our opinions on what the problem is, what is to be done about it, etc. But that shouldn't stop us from having polite or at least decent conversation. Look at us though, everyone at each other's throats, being nasty -- and we all (most of us) are rooting for the same team?

Allow yourselves to learn from conversation. Iron sharpens iron ;) Make your points, rebut the ones you disagree with. But it kills me to see people tearing each other up like this -- especially when there are so many massive problems going on in the U.S. with economy, social issues, politicians, etc. Our country is being driven into the ground and we spend our energy fighting about... grown men who earn more money than we'll ever see to play a game? Granted they have to be talented, put in a lot of conditioning, very few can do it, etc. Fine, it's a skill, they earned that money because the market will give it to them. But let's not waste our lives fighting about such nonsense when there's so much to fight for out there in the "real world".

Peace my brothers :old:

HollywoodSteel
10-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Come on folks.

Background - I used to be a massive Steelers nut. Knew obscure stats, the roster and positions down to the last man, details about the upcoming draft class, all of it... a few years ago I gave it up and began to focus my life on... other things.

I still follow the Steelers - they're my home team and they'll always be a part of me. But I'm quickly re-learning why it's not worth getting so invested. I come from a smaller message board, one with just a few folks - but those who were there really knew how to express valid points, argue without being nasty, etc. I migrated here because a lot of them did too, presumably to have more people to chat with.

The steelers are having a bad season, no doubt, and we all have our opinions on what the problem is, what is to be done about it, etc. But that shouldn't stop us from having polite or at least decent conversation. Look at us though, everyone at each other's throats, being nasty -- and we all (most of us) are rooting for the same team?

Allow yourselves to learn from conversation. Iron sharpens iron ;) Make your points, rebut the ones you disagree with. But it kills me to see people tearing each other up like this -- especially when there are so many massive problems going on in the U.S. with economy, social issues, politicians, etc. Our country is being driven into the ground and we spend our energy fighting about... grown men who earn more money than we'll ever see to play a game? Granted they have to be talented, put in a lot of conditioning, very few can do it, etc. Fine, it's a skill, they earned that money because the market will give it to them. But let's not waste our lives fighting about such nonsense when there's so much to fight for out there in the "real world".

Agree 100%. I think you'll find that, for the most part, people are civil here. There are a couple of guys that get a bit heated and straddle the line on occasion, but usually people make up and play nice.

I don't know how many times I've tried to prioritize the way you advise and keep myself from getting sucked in to this team in an unhealthy manner. But I can't help it. Maybe with the season all but lost now I'll be able to do a better job of it.

ALLD
10-28-2013, 05:42 PM
I started spending time over at the suicide prevention forum where everybody is slightly more upbeat over there.

Count Steeler
10-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Well said Mistah Q.

7SteelGal43
10-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Well said, Mister Q. The only thing I can add to that is that I hate coming here after a loss.

HollywoodSteel
10-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Well said, Mister Q. The only thing I can add to that is that I hate coming here after a loss.

Yet here you are. A glutton for punishment just like the rest of us. :drink:

Steeldude
10-29-2013, 03:38 AM
Unfortunately, every MB has these angry trolls who feel the need to lash out and attack people with differing views/opinions.

blackngldblood
10-29-2013, 09:43 PM
You can use a lot of metaphors between what's happening with our "working class team" and the actual working class in this country. We gotta weather the storm or turn into something no one in their right minds want.

Great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Master Blaster
10-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Come on folks.

Hence the reason why I don't care to post in here. This site is not unique. In fact, it's a stereotype. It's just another message board with the exact same cast of characters and personality types found in every other message board. I find that highly unattractive. I'm quite content to stay put in a place devoid of the relentless negativity and immaturity that permeates every other message board I've been to.

tube517
10-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Hence the reason why I don't care to post in here. This site is not unique. In fact, it's a stereotype. It's just another message board with the exact same cast of characters and personality types found in every other message board. I find that highly unattractive. I'm quite content to stay put in a place devoid of the relentless negativity and immaturity that permeates every other message board I've been to.

There is a good mix of knowledgeable people here. Some very good analysis on draft picks too. I read most of the draft stuff here and everyone is civil about draft picks and mock drafts. I am on the Yahoo Steelers list which goes back to the 90s and it is pretty slow now as people move on in life. This board keeps trucking along. There was a guy on Yahoo list that knew his shit but was so polarizing that he nearly split the yahoo list apart. And that was a tightly moderated list. Over moderated really. The mods and admins here are great and intelligent. They know when to step in without being a kommisar goodhell

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Spike
10-30-2013, 08:57 AM
c'mon man!

Nobody likes losing. Everyone SHOULD be angry. Boards are a way for people to vent. You want a happy-happy time then blame the homers that want to laugh off every loss. Let's not confuse legitimate observations and concerns when a team is losing as being a hater. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to be blind to the reality around you. In fact, if you're upset about a loss that probably indicates you're emotionally invested in the team, not the opposite. It's the yuppies with no passion that tee-hee their way through every loss.

silver & black
10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
c'mon man!

Nobody likes losing. Everyone SHOULD be angry. Boards are a way for people to vent. You want a happy-happy time then blame the homers that want to laugh off every loss. Let's not confuse legitimate observations and concerns when a team is losing as being a hater. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to be blind to the reality around you. In fact, if you're upset about a loss that probably indicates you're emotionally invested in the team, not the opposite. It's the yuppies with no passion that tee-hee their way through every loss.
I think I've read this exact post on every Raiders forum for the last decade.

Spike
10-30-2013, 09:26 AM
you calling me a Raiders fan?

somebody ban the bitch!

Spike
10-30-2013, 09:41 AM
This board keeps trucking along. There was a guy on Yahoo list that knew his shit but was so polarizing that he nearly split the yahoo list apart. And that was a tightly moderated list.
Over moderated really. The mods and admins here are great and intelligent. They know when to step in without being a kommisar goodhell

I agree - the mods here are great - there are other boards where the mods run their own clique of brown-nosers and try to run off anyone that disagrees with them. Mod Nazi's and their little asskisser armies are the worst.

Bluecoat96
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't think that there is anything wrong at all with venting our frustrations after a loss. The only thing that really irks me is that it seems like most of the debates here (and every other message board I guess) turn in to giant pissing contests about who got what fact straight. I respect most everybody's opinion on here except for deliberate trolls. (I'm lookin' at you jb500ex)

In the immortal words of the great philosopher...

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

ALLD
10-30-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't know anything about nothing. I am just a ramblin' man.