PDA

View Full Version : Part of the problem, or part of the cure, either, neither or both.

zulater
10-28-2013, 05:29 AM
The old saying is; you're either part of the problem or part of the cure. Well I disagree to some extent. I think in some cases you can be both. If you have some level of self awareness and are willing to adapt and adjust when necessary you can be part of the problem today, but still be part of the cure tomorrow.

Anyway here's your Steelers decision makers and some of the major players. Tell us where each fits in your opinion. I'll give my assessment's later. One quick preview though. Fire Todd Haley today!!!! :chuckle:

Kevin Colbert.

Omar Khan

Mike Tomlin

Todd Haley

Dick LeBeau

Ben Roethlisberger

LeVeon Bell

Lamarr Woodley

steeldawg
10-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Kevin Colbert - Fire

Omar Khan - Fire

Mike Tomlin - Fire

Todd Haley - Fire

Dick LeBeau - Sorry to say but it may be the end of an era

Ben Roethlisberger - Keep

LeVeon Bell - Keep

Lamarr Woodley - Have no choice but to keep for financial reasons

Devilsdancefloor
10-28-2013, 07:11 AM
the scout who does the Oline scouting needs to be let go. the conditioning coach needs to get the hell out of town! The CBA needs to be renegotiated to have the players actually um practice hitting each other. As for your list colbert haley should be let go and woodley traded for a legit LT. I think coach lebeau is a awesome coach and man, but he isnt agressive anymore, just look at the browns D erm i mean the steelers D in Brownies unis

dislocatedday
10-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Of that list, the only 2 that I feel must go at this point are Haley and Woodley. It's just not working with Haley based on the results produced on the field. I realize the O-line is very sub-par, and this has a lot to do with the problems, but there are other elements of the playcalling that look strange and ineffective to me. I think Tomlin, or even Art II himself, needs to talk with offensive players like Ben, AB, and Heath and get their true feelings of what they think of the offensive scheme that is being executed. If those guys truly think it is weak, then get rid of Haley.

Woodley may just be the most overpaid, underperforming player in the league. He is largely invisible for a guy making that $$$ he does. I'd rather the team just eat all his salary w/ dead money for one year and move on after that. He obviously benefited from playing alongside James Harrison for a few years, but now that he is the No. 1 outside linebacker he can't produce anywhere near the level James Harrison did.

With the defensive front 7, the talent just is not there anymore like it was a few seasons ago. On the D-line you have Hood, McLendon, an aging Kiesel, and Heyward..............these guys as a group are nothing like Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, and Kiesel/Kemo VonOelhoffen were a few seasons ago. Same goes for the linebacking group as a whole compared to the talent the team had previously there. I can't fault LeBeau for that. He just does not have the horses he once did. The secondary is the bright spot on this defense IMO. I wonder if Carnell Lake should be the next defensive coordinator of this team whenever LeBeau leaves. I'm serious about this. He has improved every secondary he has coached. He did wonders in Jacksonvillle while he was there. I think players have the utmost respect for Lake as well.

dislocatedday
10-28-2013, 08:46 AM
One more addition, even though he was not on the initial list of players/staff................get rid of Bicknell as the O-line coach too.

Steelman
10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
The old saying is; you're either part of the problem or part of the cure. Well I disagree to some extent. I think in some cases you can be both. If you have some level of self awareness and are willing to adapt and adjust when necessary you can be part of the problem today, but still be part of the cure tomorrow.

Anyway here's your Steelers decision makers and some of the major players. Tell us where each fits in your opinion. I'll give my assessment's later. One quick preview though. Fire Todd Haley today!!!! :chuckle:

Kevin Colbert.

Omar Khan

Mike Tomlin

Todd Haley

Dick LeBeau

Ben Roethlisberger

LeVeon Bell

Lamarr Woodley

Interesting thread premise, Zu. I'll bite.

Staff:

Colbert. I think Colbert has his strengths and flaws, but his flaws have really hurt the team overall as of late, and it's time for new blood here. Look how the Colts found a new guy and see where that team stands now. ("Luck" aside)

Khan. What exactly does "Director of Football Administration" do? He's a relatively new guy (assumed that position in 2011) so I am not sure on him or what he does/doesn't bring to the table. Perhaps someone can shed further light on him.

- EDIT: Discovered Khan is the "cap genius". In that case, MAKE HIM GO AWAY.

Tomlin. I'm on the fence about him. He definitely hasn't looked like much of an NFL head coach in the last 7 weeks. Does that negate his previous accomplishments? Did his early success hinder his growth and mask any deficiencies he may have had jumping from a secondary coach to the head coach of a prestigious football team? I think the players are still behind him, so love him or hate him, you have to stick with him another season and see where the ship goes. But I would assume he'd be on a short leash, ala Tom Coughlin before his SB win a few years ago. I certainly hope he can respond in like manner.

Haley. He has to go. He might be a decent OC, but it really doesn't matter. He doesn't fit in Pittsburgh and there's no sense in trying to continue jamming the square peg into a round hole just for 'continuity's sake'. This is where tradition can really bite.

LeBeau. The man is a legend. The problem though, we don't have the personnel to run the defensive schemes that he made legendary in Pittsburgh. I agree with the previous poster that if he were to leave, Carnell Lake would be the logical and best replacement.

Players:

Ben. Up until his mid-season injury last season, he was arguably on pace for MVP contention. Since that time he's looked as lost as the rest of the team. Ben is a franchise QB. He's not your prototypical Brady, Manning, or Brees, but he's a winning QB and those are very hard to find in this league. He's not been up to par but he's not the entire problem. Stick with Ben. He gives you a chance.

Bell. The jury is still out on this kid. Four weeks really isn't enough time to get an accurate reading on his status. But I think he's a good back, will get better, and will be solid for us in years to come. (O-line aside) Maybe he gets really good and rides that success straight of town. Quite possibly. That's just how we roll.

Woodley. Arguably the worst contract decision we've made in the last decade. The sooner we can ship his fat contract and sensitive hamstrings out of town, the better. He's probably a "good" linebacker, but he does nothing for this team. Obviously the financial situation effectively negates the notion of cutting him loose, so are there ANY teams that would even be willing to trade for this guy? If there's even the slightest interest, the front office should pursue it like a fat kid to cupcakes. (OK...maybe a little dramatic. But desperate times call for desperate measures. Obviously. :chuckle: )

Edman
10-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Kevin Colbert.- Bye.

Omar Khan- Bye.

Mike Tomlin- One more season.

Todd Haley- Bye

Dick LeBeau- Bye

Ben Roethlisberger- Bye

LeVeon Bell- Stay

Lamarr Woodley- Should Leave, Bye

Count Steeler
10-28-2013, 03:29 PM
I wonder if Tomlin is pulling some passive aggressive BS. Is he in rebellion because of the Arians/Haley fiasco? I know what he has said in the media, but I am starting to wonder if he has a "This is the team you wanted Art" mentality.

Butch
10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Let me start with Ben. He's a Great QB except he's part of the problem. His passes have not been on target early in games and his magic to bring this team back is no longer there. Get rid of him...not a chance

Tomlin he will at the very least make it to the end of his current contract and then I imagine it will be small contracts for a bit. Don't see us getting rid of him in the real near future.

There are lots of problems with this team. Lots!!!

Woodley was a bargin a few years back now he's a bum. Hmmm

Haven't had much of a play maker since Santonio left. Do I understand why we let him go yes, but he was a perfect match with Ben.

Have not been a fan of the Oline coach in quiet some time. The play that put Pouncey out for the season was beyond horrible.

my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Mojouw
10-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Here is the critical issue for me. If Omar Khan was the sole decision maker on pushing all the cap $$ around to keep a core of players together, then of course he would have to fall on his sword for that. However, if he is simply the unlucky sap to have to find a way to make the dollars work for what the football personnel side of things is dictating; then he is a genius for stringing it along this far. My understanding (at least from afar) is that Khan is simply a "capologist" in other words his job is to make the signings others mandate fit under the salary cap and team financial structure. If he has little to no decision making authority/responsibility beyond that, then he has done a great job. Like I have said previously, if the Steelers had read the tea leaves better on the CBA, they wouldn't be in this position.

As to who has to go that is a bit clearer. Haley. The o line scouts. Whoever keeps pulling the trigger on drafting run blocking o-lineman with atrocious pass blocking skills and footwork in a pass wacky league. That guy needs to go. I don't care who it is. It demonstrates a mindset that is dangerously out of touch with the current trend(s) in the NFL.

I will throw another one out there. With all the talent deficiencies on this team, what about the guy that made the final decision to take Jarvis Jones at 17? Has Jones really looked better than Worilds? Enough better that the opportunity cost of improving another position was worth the difference between Jones and Worilds? Particularly since this draft class is loaded. I think that guy should be fired.

Maybe that was the plan all along. Tank for a high pick in what I am told is a once in a generation draft.

Shoes
10-28-2013, 09:00 PM
I wonder if Tomlin is pulling some passive aggressive BS. Is he in rebellion because of the Arians/Haley fiasco? I know what he has said in the media, but I am starting to wonder if he has a "This is the team you wanted Art" mentality.

Art II is a very different Rooney compared to his Dad and Grandfather. Tomlin would lose that battle and his head in short order if he played that game. When Art has full control......boy howdy!

zulater
10-29-2013, 06:17 AM
To me the biggest problem we have today is Todd Haley. He should have been fired yesterday. With his off the field issues that should have provided the Steelers with the means to his end and the departure from normal protocol of not firing a coach inseason. Hell the Ravens paved the road for that last year even when they fired Cam Cameron last November. Seemed like it worked ok there.

So why does Haley need to go? We're the 3rd lowest scoring team in the league! The only two teams with less points dont have quarterbacks! ( T.B. Bucs, and Jack Jags). He scripts for the first 15 plays, and we have only scored 17 first quarter points! ( discounting the 2 points the Titans scored against themselves in season opener) Ben neither likes him or respects him in my opinion. Other coaches don't like working with him.But more to the point it's not getting better! We can't run the ball. We can't protect the passer. We can't identify who the best players are etc.. And don't blame the injuries to the line. Look around the league and tell me which teams don't have offensive line issues.

I can make a pro or con case for everyone else on the list on why they should stay, or why they should go. How they've been part of the problem, and how they could possibly be part of the cure. But with Haley I see no possible pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Only more of the same substandard shit! And a move that has to be made shouldn't be put off. He should be fired today, and Kirby Wilson should be given the job for the remainder of the season. Get him together with Ben, figure out what works best for this team and work on being efficient at that.

But Todd Haley needs to go!

Shoes
10-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Give Art time, Zu. He'll find a way of pinning his hiring of Haley on Tomlin. :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
10-29-2013, 08:02 AM
I didn't like the hiring of Haley in the first place and I like much less now. He was hired because of his connection to the Steelers through his dad and that's not a reason to hire someone for a position as important as OC.

Seven
10-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Kevin Colbert - A dozen years of better than average personnel decisions? Yeah, he can stay.

Omar Khan - See above.

Mike Tomlin - Stays. Maybe takes a couple time management classes this offseason :chuckle:

Todd Haley - I don't want to blame the OC... but I gave it a chance. Was pissed they let Arians go and still am. I think Haley has to go.

Dick LeBeau - Stays. Don't see how you could say anything otherwise. Defense has been on the field a ton this year. And despite a weaker depth chart than in years past, has been making big plays.

Ben Roethlisberger - Stays without question.

LeVeon Bell - There is no need to address this one.

Lamarr Woodley - I think Woodley is having an okay year. I don't see much pass rush coming from anywhere else. Until you can replace him, I think it's better to retain him.

Mistah Q
10-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Colbert - Jail
Khan - Jail
Tomlin - Jail
Bicknell - Jail
Mitchell - Jail
Sarrett - Jail

Woodley and Ben - Trade
Clark - give him options. He can take a paycut and retire a Steeler; he can be waived or traded. His choice.
Gilbert - Gone
Adams - Traded.
Sanders - Traded
Pouncey - Traded

I actually believe in Adams and his ability to develop at RT but he doesn't have the temperament we want. Stop drafting these guys.

LeBeau - your defense played well, helped keep a terrible team from looking even worse. Here's your chance to retire gracefully while leaving behind some justification for in-house promotion. Butler, you're up - make it count because the leash is short!

New Head Coach: Ken Whisenhunt
New GM: Phil Savage
New Defensive Coordinator: Keith Butler
New D-Line Coach: Olsavsky
New Defensive Assistant: Carnell Lake
Offensive Coordinator: Haley or Whiz's Choice
New OL Coach/Offensive Assistant: Bob Wylie

We sign Matt Schaub, Michael Oher, and Pat Angerer.

Then we draft as such:

Round 1: Mike Evans

Round 2a (Ben trade): Eric Ebron
Round 2b: Dominique Easley

Round 3: Trey DePriest

steeldawg
10-30-2013, 05:43 AM
Colbert - Jail
Khan - Jail
Tomlin - Jail
Bicknell - Jail
Mitchell - Jail
Sarrett - Jail

Woodley and Ben - Trade
Clark - give him options. He can take a paycut and retire a Steeler; he can be waived or traded. His choice.
Gilbert - Gone
Adams - Traded.
Sanders - Traded
Pouncey - Traded

I actually believe in Adams and his ability to develop at RT but he doesn't have the temperament we want. Stop drafting these guys.

LeBeau - your defense played well, helped keep a terrible team from looking even worse. Here's your chance to retire gracefully while leaving behind some justification for in-house promotion. Butler, you're up - make it count because the leash is short!

New Head Coach: Ken Whisenhunt
New GM: Phil Savage
New Defensive Coordinator: Keith Butler
New D-Line Coach: Olsavsky
New Defensive Assistant: Carnell Lake
Offensive Coordinator: Haley or Whiz's Choice
New OL Coach/Offensive Assistant: Bob Wylie

We sign Matt Schaub, Michael Oher, and Pat Angerer.

Then we draft as such:

Round 1: Mike Evans

Round 2a (Ben trade): Eric Ebron
Round 2b: Dominique Easley

Round 3: Trey DePriest

Yo, Mike Evans is a beeeeeaaaasssssstttttt!!!

Steeldude
10-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Kevin Colbert - Can't answer until the end of the season. As of now, he should be fired.

Omar Khan - Is it really his fault? He doesn't tell the Steelers who to sign and for how much.

Mike Tomlin - Can't answer until the end of the season. As of now, he should be fired.

Todd Haley - Difficult to answer. BR doesn't seem to be able to run a Haley offense. He simply doesn't have the vision, IMO. He's a schoolyard QB. Which means Haley should probably be let go if they retain BR. Although the weakest O-line in the NFL makes it difficult to evaluate him.

Dick LeBeau - He should retire. I thought he should have retired a couple of seasons ago.

Ben Roethlisberger - No point in cutting him. Who would be his replacement?

LeVeon Bell - Keep. It's his first year. Let him finish his contract then decide.

Lamarr Woodley - I have been wary of Woodley since the start. So many are fooled by sacks. Trade him if possible. Cutting him will result in dead cap money. One of the worst contracts ever.

ALLD
10-30-2013, 02:45 PM
There is no fire on this team. I have seen more aggression from fat chicks on treadmills at the gym.