PDA

View Full Version : well its that time of year again

Dwinsgames
10-27-2013, 11:59 PM
earlier than usual for me anyways , not that I am not watching , grading and taking notes all the time but now I am looking at guys that in prior years I just salivated over as potential selections for the Steelers .....

I sure hope we do not screw this up too ( ehem Colbert you listening ) ...

Texasteel
10-28-2013, 09:19 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and have some thoughts of the subject, particularly after watching our team play the first part of the season.

Last year I wanted anyone of three things to happen. Jones, whom we got, was my first choice.

1- Taylor Lewan, the OT at Michigan, or Cyrus Kouandjio, the OT at Alabama. I still do not see a player on this team that can hold down the LT spot, and preform consistently
Sammy Watkins the WR at Clemson. Don't feel real comfortable with our WR corp. right now.

2- Christian Jones, the LBer at Florida St. Jones would help close down the middle. Running up the middle use to be something that just was not done against the Steelers, now it looks like some teams can make a living at it. Jones also has good sideline to sideline speed.

3- CJ Fiedorowics Iowas TE. Even in a pass first league having two good pass catching TEs can be useful. Miller and Fiedorowics in the line up at the same time would help the running game, plus give Ben more options on short yardage plays, particularly a 3rd and goal at the 2.

Haven't gone past the 3rd yet but if we happen to end up with more than one 3rd round comp pick. I think I would grab Dominique Easlsy, a DE at Florida, if he happen to be there.

Steelman
10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and have some thoughts of the subject, particularly after watching our team play the first part of the season.

Last year I wanted anyone of three things to happen. Jones, whom we got, was my first choice.

1- Taylor Lewan, the OT at Michigan, or Cyrus Kouandjio, the OT at Alabama. I still do not see a player on this team that can hold down the LT spot, and preform consistently
Sammy Watkins the WR at Clemson. Don't feel real comfortable with our WR corp. right now.

2- Christian Jones, the LBer at Florida St. Jones would help close down the middle. Running up the middle use to be something that just was not done against the Steelers, now it looks like some teams can make a living at it. Jones also has good sideline to sideline speed.

3- CJ Fiedorowics Iowas TE. Even in a pass first league having two good pass catching TEs can be useful. Miller and Fiedorowics in the line up at the same time would help the running game, plus give Ben more options on short yardage plays, particularly a 3rd and goal at the 2.

Haven't gone past the 3rd yet but if we happen to end up with more than one 3rd round comp pick. I think I would grab Dominique Easlsy, a DE at Florida, if he happen to be there.

Granted it's only week 7, but if the season ended right now I think we'd have the 4th overall pick. If Jake Matthews is available would you draft him over Lewan? Or would you take Lewan that high?

It's almost an extreme necessity now that we take a LT with our first pick. I just hope we don't screw ourselves out of the position of picking a good one.

Texasteel
10-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Granted it's only week 7, but if the season ended right now I think we'd have the 4th overall pick. If Jake Matthews is available would you draft him over Lewan? Or would you take Lewan that high?

It's almost an extreme necessity now that we take a LT with our first pick. I just hope we don't screw ourselves out of the position of picking a good one.

That a good question that may not be answered till the end of the season, but as it stands right now. In that situation I think I would try to trade down a couple of picks and take Lewan. I think Lewan will be the better LT prospect even though Matthews is getting more press. If we could trade down and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick I'm pretty sure we could get both Fiedorowics and Easly. That would go a long ways in helping both of our lines, and beef up our short passing game. I'm also looking hard for a WR. I don't think Sanders will be worth what someone will offer him, and IMO our #2 WR spot is still up for grabs. How ever, I'm not sure Lewan will not be ranked alone side Matthews by the end of the year.

ALLD
10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Still the OL & DL. CBs have not been embarrassing. Once the lines break down we give up big plays on D or fail to score a defining TD to stay in the game.

tube517
10-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Draft 7 offensive linemen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

ALLD
10-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Draft 7 offensive linemen

Using a dartboard, picking numbers out of a hat or live chicken spinning a roulette wheel?

Count Steeler
10-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Using a dartboard, picking numbers out of a hat or live chicken spinning a roulette wheel?

Better than anything they are using now. :chuckle:

tube517
10-28-2013, 09:51 PM

Wherever Marcus Gilbert trips and falls

Texasteel
10-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Actually, it's still to be proven one way or the other, but I thought their last draft was pretty good. Must have been reading our post.

Shoes
10-31-2013, 11:41 PM
I always enjoy reading what you guys think about the up and coming draft. I don't follow college football so its a real treat for me.

Dwinsgames
11-01-2013, 09:53 PM

as long as it has nothing to do with their in house personnel evaluation team making the call all 7 would be upgrades

Texasteel
11-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Doesn't look like you need to worry about that.

steelerdude15
11-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I would to take a 3-4 DE in the first round... are there any that come to mind for you guys?

Texasteel
11-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I would to take a 3-4 DE in the first round... are there any that come to mind for you guys?

The first one to come to mind is Jedeveon Clowney, depending on how early we pick. The one question I've seen some have about him is his conditioning. He can disappear from time to time. I have seen some have us taking is Stephon Tuitt of ND. A big body that has ran a sub 5.0 in the 40. A kid I like and am watching is Dominiquue Easley of Florida. Easley may be a little smaller than we are use to, 285 lb, and 6'2", but is very productive in collage. He will go probably in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round.

st33lersguy
11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Lewan should definitely be available, we might even have a shot at Matthews. This team's ceiling is 5-11

Dwinsgames
11-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Matthews is the man in the crosshairs at this point for me , big physical and a unmatched pedigree ... we have to pick #2 over all IMO to have a shot at him though

zulater
11-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Matthews is the man in the crosshairs at this point for me , big physical and a unmatched pedigree ... we have to pick #2 over all IMO to have a shot at him though

No shot of that without a trade up. The Jags and the Bucs are locks to pick 1-2.

Texasteel
11-04-2013, 08:46 PM

It's hard to argue against anyone named Matthews.

Have a feeling that the first 2 players taken could be QB, that might puts Clowney at 3, and very likely Matthews at 4, so it might work.

Dwinsgames
11-04-2013, 08:59 PM
It's hard to argue against anyone named Matthews.

Have a feeling that the first 2 players taken could be QB, that might puts Clowney at 3, and very likely Matthews at 4, so it might work.

as of right now we would be picking 4th - 7th ....

Jacksonville will probably take a QB ,... Tampa its hard to say will depend how Glennon does the rest of the way........ The Vikings again not sure considering they took Freeman off the waiver wire and may envision him taking over once he learns the system so yea 4th may be soon enough if things stay as is

Aussie_steeler
11-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Got time on my hands and by reckoning the season is done.

First Mock for 2014:

The Steelers are currently sitting at #4 pick. I see Bridgewater, Mariota and Clowney going in that order. This leaves Matthews ( another RT), Anthony Barr ( OLB / DE) to chose from. I don’t rate Lewan as a LT or as a person ( DND)

I would look to trade down a few spots and settle for Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans depending on how far you drop. Pick up a 3rd round pick, which essentially gives you back the Shamarko Thomas / Cleveland trade pick. The salary cap for the next few years is going to be an albatross hanging around this organisations neck.

Resign: Larod Stephens Howling, Jerricho Cotchery, Al Woods, Jonathon Dwyer, Greg Warren
Walk: Ryan Clark, Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, Emmanuel Sanders, Guy Whimper, Felix Jones
Trade 1: down 3 to 4 spots in the first. Grab an extra 3rd rounder
Trade 2: Trade Maurkice Pouncey. I would take a 2nd rounder. ( Why – Velasco’s plays, he is going to cost a huge second contract and I think more Hernandez links will continue to appear. )

R1: Sammy Watkins WR Clemson ( genuine #1 WR. King of decoy, Bubble Screens, end arounds and other Haley style plays. Watkins, Brown, Cotchery, Wheaton and Moye. That has a good look about it))

R2: Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech ( CB is a real weakness. 3 Genuine CB’s are needed in todays NFL. Fuller is your big inside cover CB)

R2T: Justin Gilbert CB Ok State U ( outside cover CB – Ike earns too much and is producing less)

R3T: CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa ( Big blocker TE who can work the middle 10 in front of the line of scrimmage.)

R3C: Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky ( This guy has a huge motor. Inside LB who can cover sideline to sideline )

R4: Carl Bradford OLB Arizona State (good vs run, covers well, good pash rush)

R5: Ryan Groy OG / OT Wisconsin ( Typical Wisconsin LG. Just like Craig Urbik. Wouldn’t have needed this pick if some patience was originally shown)

R5C: DeAndre Coleman DT/DE California ( Williams and Arnfeld get first shot at Ziggy’s position. Practice Squad DE)

R6: Billy Turner OT North Dakota State ( I dare you to youtube this guy. You will become a follower as I have, after others have pimped him)

R6C: Isaiah Lewis SS Michigan State ( Michigan State has one of the best college D’s this year. Solid performer on this unit)

R7: Michael Campanaro WR Wake Forest ( possession receiver, just broke his collar bone and will drop off the radar. 67 catches this year before injury)

R7C: Chad Irving FB Florida State ( Hard hitting fullback. Become a fan after the Miami game.)

st33lersguy
11-06-2013, 09:34 PM

No, Jacksonville will take Bridgewater, Clowney will go before Matthews so the highest he is going is no. 3. If we go 4-12, we can definitely get the no.4 spot, and if Tampa goes QB, he should be available

Texasteel
11-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Got time on my hands and by reckoning the season is done.

First Mock for 2014:

The Steelers are currently sitting at #4 pick. I see Bridgewater, Mariota and Clowney going in that order. This leaves Matthews ( another RT), Anthony Barr ( OLB / DE) to chose from. I don’t rate Lewan as a LT or as a person ( DND)

I would look to trade down a few spots and settle for Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans depending on how far you drop. Pick up a 3rd round pick, which essentially gives you back the Shamarko Thomas / Cleveland trade pick. The salary cap for the next few years is going to be an albatross hanging around this organisations neck.

Resign: Larod Stephens Howling, Jerricho Cotchery, Al Woods, Jonathon Dwyer, Greg Warren
Walk: Ryan Clark, Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, Emmanuel Sanders, Guy Whimper, Felix Jones
Trade 1: down 3 to 4 spots in the first. Grab an extra 3rd rounder
Trade 2: Trade Maurkice Pouncey. I would take a 2nd rounder. ( Why – Velasco’s plays, he is going to cost a huge second contract and I think more Hernandez links will continue to appear. )

R1: Sammy Watkins WR Clemson ( genuine #1 WR. King of decoy, Bubble Screens, end arounds and other Haley style plays. Watkins, Brown, Cotchery, Wheaton and Moye. That has a good look about it))

R2: Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech ( CB is a real weakness. 3 Genuine CB’s are needed in todays NFL. Fuller is your big inside cover CB)

R2T: Justin Gilbert CB Ok State U ( outside cover CB – Ike earns too much and is producing less)

R3T: CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa ( Big blocker TE who can work the middle 10 in front of the line of scrimmage.)

R3C: Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky ( This guy has a huge motor. Inside LB who can cover sideline to sideline )

R4: Carl Bradford OLB Arizona State (good vs run, covers well, good pash rush)

R5: Ryan Groy OG / OT Wisconsin ( Typical Wisconsin LG. Just like Craig Urbik. Wouldn’t have needed this pick if some patience was originally shown)

R5C: DeAndre Coleman DT/DE California ( Williams and Arnfeld get first shot at Ziggy’s position. Practice Squad DE)

R6: Billy Turner OT North Dakota State ( I dare you to youtube this guy. You will become a follower as I have, after others have pimped him)

R6C: Isaiah Lewis SS Michigan State ( Michigan State has one of the best college D’s this year. Solid performer on this unit)

R7: Michael Campanaro WR Wake Forest ( possession receiver, just broke his collar bone and will drop off the radar. 67 catches this year before injury)

R7C: Chad Irving FB Florida State ( Hard hitting fullback. Become a fan after the Miami game.)

Would not be surprised with the Watkins pick at all, but still think we may see a OT in the first 3 rounds. Particularly like the last half of your picks. known you a long time bud, and am not dumb enough to bet against one of your mocks.

Dwinsgames
11-24-2013, 08:06 PM
looks like we are gonna have to rework these mocks as we wont be drafting nearly as high as first anticipated

Texasteel
11-24-2013, 09:54 PM
looks like we are gonna have to rework these mocks as we wont be drafting nearly as high as first anticipated

I'm starting to think mid to high 20s, In that case I could see them going in several different directions. Thats what make this stuff so interesting.

Dwinsgames
11-26-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm starting to think mid to high 20s, In that case I could see them going in several different directions. Thats what make this stuff so interesting.

it is looking that way to me as well ... Thursday will say a lot though

already contemplating some scenarios ...

perhaps this weekend a new mock coming out from me

Steeltreal
11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Colbert must break the M.O. and find a way to land Verrett from TCU. If you have a better CB does he have better closing Speed or Ball skills?

Dwinsgames
11-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Ekpre-Olomu .... likely long gone when we pick

Bradley Roby .... see above

Purifoy should be around but man he has boom or bust written all over him

Antone Exum big physical mauler of a CB

Marcus Roberson ...may be the most balanced CB in the draft , nothing flashy just does his job and you know what your getting every play from him

Verrett has good technique but he has some physical weaknesses that may haunt him at the pro level that he has been able to overcome at the College level IMO

Dennard

Belue

kyle Fuller he could move higher by the time its all said and done

Colvin

Gilbert

an observation is this crop of CBs over all seem a bit slower to me than usual and a few of even the " top flight " prospects in other years MAY be considered more as FS ... maybe age is slowing my eyes ? lol

Texasteel
11-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Ekpre-Olomu .... likely long gone when we pick

Bradley Roby .... see above

Purifoy should be around but man he has boom or bust written all over him

Antone Exum big physical mauler of a CB

Marcus Roberson ...may be the most balanced CB in the draft , nothing flashy just does his job and you know what your getting every play from him

Verrett has good technique but he has some physical weaknesses that may haunt him at the pro level that he has been able to overcome at the College level IMO

Dennard

Belue

kyle Fuller he could move higher by the time its all said and done

Colvin

Gilbert

an observation is this crop of CBs over all seem a bit slower to me than usual and a few of even the " top flight " prospects in other years MAY be considered more as FS ... maybe age is slowing my eyes ? lol

Also, a kid you mentioned earlier, Stanley Jean Baptiste looks good. Good ball skills, has a habit of bating a QB to throw the ball where he wants him too.

Dwinsgames
11-28-2013, 10:19 AM
I absolutely LOVE Baptiste , I think he could become an all pro FS

Texasteel
11-28-2013, 10:33 AM
I absolutely LOVE Baptiste , I think he could become an all pro FS

I think you have his pro position nail. His run support, and coverage skills would make a very nice player for us. I love his size. Could be a 3rd round comp pick. I hope we can get two 2 3rd round comp. picks.

Dwinsgames
11-29-2013, 09:39 AM
I think you have his pro position nail. His run support, and coverage skills would make a very nice player for us. I love his size. Could be a 3rd round comp pick. I hope we can get two 2 3rd round comp. picks.

I think we will , Lewis's deal and playing time should be enough to secure the 2nd one with Wallace's big deal garnering the first one ....

Mendy will probably only get us a 5th considering his deal was just 1 year and low paying by the standards and perhaps the only saving grace that gets us the pick to begin with was he is a former 1st rounder

Texasteel
11-30-2013, 03:32 PM
I've got two player I would very much like to see on this team, Abbrederis, and Baptiste. I think there is a good chance we could get both with those 3rd round comp picks.