PDA

View Full Version : Who was the goat of the game 1-5?

zulater
10-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I was working, so I haven't seen the game yet. So who are the primary goats?

stillers4me
10-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Where do you want to start?

steeldawg
10-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Defense, AB, and sushi

Count Steeler
10-27-2013, 07:24 PM
1. Defense. Let a QB, that you are well aware of to key on, and you know he can kill you with the run, and you let him go 93 yards on the first play from scrimmage. Pretty well set the tone for the rest of the game.

2. Swish. 2 very makable field goals go wide right, 6 points.

3. Offense that looks like it just doesn't belong in the red zone. Do they even practice inside the 20?

SteelerFanInStl
10-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Tomlin. The team just flat out wasn't ready to play today.

zulater
10-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Where do you want to start?

Wherever you like. But just looking at the box score 19 rushes for 35 yards looks like a place you might look! Wow, that's unbelievable! How can we be that bad running the ball!? :frusty:

Count Steeler
10-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Wherever you like. But just looking at the box score 19 rushes for 35 yards looks like a place you might look! Wow, that's unbelievable! How can we be that bad running the ball!? :frusty:

Cause the O Line got nailed with injuries. Adams was back at LT, Beachum at LG, Velasco, Wallace, Gilbert. Whimper, DeCastro, Foster were all down.

zulater
10-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Defense, AB, and sushi

I get the frustration with the early hole that was dug by the defense. But the offense is 0 for the first quarter for the year. How about they get out of the gate for once? 21 points isn't insurmountable. Unless your offense is putrid, which ours obviously is.

vader29
10-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Offense, defense, special teams and coaching, was a total team effort.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18lrktwl3penqgif/ku-medium.gif

zulater
10-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Cause the O Line got nailed with injuries. Adams was back at LT, Beachum at LG, Velasco, Wallace, Gilbert. Whimper, DeCastro, Foster were all down.

They've got to bring in Max Starks!! I know he sucks for everyone else, but for some reason he clicks when he gets around Ben. At this point why the hell wouldn't you bring him in for a tryout?

Count Steeler
10-27-2013, 07:31 PM
They've got to bring in Max Starks!! I know he sucks for everyone else, but for some reason he clicks when he gets around Ben. At this point why the hell wouldn't you bring him in for a tryout?

They have to do something now. Maybe that is why they renegotiated Ike's contract before the game. More cap headaches.

stillers4me
If the above mentioned didn't already make you sick, this will make you upchuck your pre game hot wings...

60_MINUTES
As always mike Tomlin is at the top, but don't worry I saw him nodding his head and agreeing with everything and everyone again. He really had them fired up again with all the head nodding. Shit I couldn't sit still I was so fired up . He's great.

Squeezedfuck missed two chip shot 32 and 34 yard FG so he's on the list. Jarvis jones ? Not sure what he's going made zero tackles far as I could tell. The o line once again eorst in league. Play calling was a joke at times. Brown forgot how to catch. Ben holding ball at times to much again. And lets please not leave out 60 million dollar man Woodley. What a joke and I think TP told him that as he ran by him when Woodley for some reason chased the back side of RB on first play of game.

Players that were pretty solid. Troy P keisel Ike and Heath other than one drop. Oh yeah cowhers guys. Damn it gets old saying that.

Tomlin has set this team back 20 years. We are a joke thanks to him and his we all boys attitude.

steeldawg
10-27-2013, 07:38 PM
I get the frustration with the early hole that was dug by the defense. But the offense is 0 for the first quarter for the year. How about they get out of the gate for once? 21 points isn't insurmountable. Unless your offense is putrid, which ours obviously is.

Not just the points they where gashed on the ground and terrible on 3rd downs until real late in the game.

fansince'76
10-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Ben holding ball at times to much again.

Players that were pretty solid. Troy P keisel Ike and Heath other than one drop. Oh yeah cowhers guys. Damn it gets old saying that.

Not half as old as it is hearing it. Ben is one of "Cowher's guys" too, no?

zulater
10-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Here's the problem. In 7 games the Steelers have scored a total of 17 1st quarter points! ( I'm discounting the safety the titans scored on themselves in the opener.) To put that in perspective if you projected that over 4 quarters that would give them 68 points total for 7 games! The lowest scoring team in the league is Jacksonville, and they have 86 points! You can't keep playing from behind every week! This is on Haley. Fuck him and his scripted plays. They suck! He sucks! Hopefully his off field issues will prove to be enough of an embarrassment that he'll be fired at the end of this season if not before!

steelerdude15
10-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Offense, defense and special teams.

Count Steeler
10-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Here's the problem. In 7 games the Steelers have scored a total of 17 1st quarter points! ( I'm discounting the safety the titans scored on themselves in the opener.) To put that in perspective if you projected that over 4 quarters that would give them 68 points total for 7 games! The lowest scoring team in the league is Jacksonville, and they have 86 points! You can't keep playing from behind every week! This is on Haley. Fuck him and his scripted plays. They suck! He sucks! Hopefully his off field issues will prove to be enough of an embarrassment that he'll be fired at the end of this season if not before!

I wish they had scripted plays for the red zone. They look horrific once they cross the 20. Like their brains go numb.

steelerdude15
10-27-2013, 08:13 PM
I wish they had scripted plays for the red zone. They look horrific once they cross the 20. Like their brains go numb.

This is something they've had issues with for quite a while. It seems it gets worse each year though.

zulater
10-27-2013, 08:13 PM

Slow starts and bad red zone play. How's that not on Haley?

Count Steeler
10-27-2013, 08:19 PM

It absolutely is. Slow starts and looking completely disorganized every time they pass the 20. It's like he doesn't know how to score.

steeldawg
10-27-2013, 08:19 PM

It is on haley but I think its a personnel problem too, we have no big targets.

Count Steeler
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Bad, bad, bad play calling. Gadgets, gizmos, reverses, draws, wrong personnel, disorganized, etc.

zulater
10-27-2013, 08:25 PM

At least we can all unite in our dislike of Haley! :drink:
:lol:

Count Steeler
10-27-2013, 08:26 PM
At least we can all unite in our dislike of Haley! :drink:
:lol:

Hard to defend now.

Steeldude
10-27-2013, 08:38 PM
The entire team and the coaches are the goats.

zulater
10-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Here's a thought. We play poorly from behind. Yet again today like always when we win the coin toss we defer to the 2nd half. So of course the Raiders score on the opening possession thus we play the entire game from behind! How about we take the ball next time and try to put up the opening score of the game and see if we can make the other guys play from behind!

Steeldude
10-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Here's a thought. We play poorly from behind. Yet again today like always when we win the coin toss we defer to the 2nd half. So of course the Raiders score on the opening possession thus we play the entire game from behind! How about we take the ball next time and try to put up the opening score of the game and see if we can make the other guys play from behind!

That's a good one : )

It's going to be below average for awhile unless some changes are made next season. The team is in desperate need of repairs. The big obstacle is the salary cap.

zulater
10-27-2013, 09:28 PM
That's a good one : )

It's going to be below average for awhile unless some changes are made next season. The team is in desperate need of repairs. The big obstacle is the salary cap.

That, and those that are in charge of doing the "repairs".

Texasteel
10-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't want no negativity, cussing, or calling for anyone being fired,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so I'm going to stay away till I cool off a little. Goat of the game? Who ever put us in this position.

Psycho Ward 86
10-27-2013, 09:37 PM
1) O-line. Very clearly O-line first and foremost, especially once guy whimper, david decastro, and ramon foster got injured.

2) Suisham. Missed 2 chip shot 30 yard field goals

3) Defense? I suppose? They forced 3 turnovers, but 1 of them was an interception that wasnt pryor's fault, his receiver just couldnt catch a perfectly thrown ball. Letting the raiders run at will for the 1st 3 quarters didnt help. And we lost out on some key turnover opportunities as well.

Shoes
10-27-2013, 09:51 PM
This play ranks up there with Tebow's TD pass. Talk about being fooled out of your socks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLlCs6esJW0

Psycho Ward 86
10-27-2013, 10:06 PM
This play ranks up there with Tebow's TD pass. Talk about being fooled out of your socks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLlCs6esJW0

I just dont get how woodley can bite on a fake handoff, and troy and ike can stare at it all unfolding and have the angle before it get too far past the line of scrimmage, and still not lay a finger on him

jb500ex
10-27-2013, 10:50 PM
I just dont get how woodley can bite on a fake handoff, and troy and ike can stare at it all unfolding and have the angle before it get too far past the line of scrimmage, and still not lay a finger on him
Uh don't forget Timmons who was just as bad as woodley

Steeldude
10-27-2013, 11:39 PM

Because it's Woodley. He's grossly overrated by so many fans. He came up with zero tackles. So much for supposedly being in shape...lol.
I have said it so many times. Woodley's contract is killing the Steelers. I don't see how the FO/coaching thought this guy was worth that kind of dough. He looks no different from any other year.

But wait...he has some sacks so I guess he is the greatest. Who cares about containment, pass coverage, tackling, read/recognition or hustle.

steelreserve
10-28-2013, 12:30 AM

He's a 10-year veteran, so his minimum salary is $940,000. Right now we have about 50 cents. No, I know we just got some money from restructuring Ike's contract (again), but Starks would eat up most of that and maybe we could sign like 1 guy the rest of the year when at this rate we'll have 15 more career-ending injuries.

Psycho Ward 86
10-28-2013, 12:38 AM
i seriously admire the coaching staff/front office to not throw in the towel (as evident by all the roster moves), but when all of these moves make the future that much harder, the line has to be drawn somewhere

steelreserve
10-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Seriously. Look at this page: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/steelers-2013-salary-cap-roster-moves-transactions/

There's a very important line at the bottom. Total base salaries: $66,305,377. Total cap hit: $113,386,011. That means we're carrying almost $50 million in signing bonus funny money, and that was at the end of the preseason. Add the restructuring we did during the season, and it's close to half the cap. Some of it's legitimate bonus money from original contracts, but I'm willing to bet most of it's paying players for past years. You cannot win like that.

I think we've dumped at least $4M-5M in salary into next season already just for mid-season roster moves, which is the equivalent of losing one good player or three young role players to the salary cap. Basically, we can drop Keisel's salary and be no better off financially than we currently are, which probably means something like $21 million over next year's cap going into the offseason. The only other players really coming up for free agency next year are Sanders and a bunch of players that don't make very much money. So besides Sanders being automatically gone, probably the only way we're going to get under the cap for 2014 is (drum roll) ... restructure Ben, restructure Woodley, restructure Timmons, restructure Brown, restructure Miller.

We have like a 1% chance of making the playoffs mathematically, no chance realistically, which is all that really matters, so exactly what are we trying to do? This would be the time to see what any of your young players have. If guys get injured, call up rookies and players from the practice squad.

Craic
10-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Gotta say Haley in particular.

Fact is, we were moving towards having a run game. So, because we're down by seven, or even fourteen points, we abandon it and line up to go pass, pass, pass, and let the pass set up the run? That works, IF you have an O line that can pass block and create enough of a pocket that holes will open up for the RB to run through on a draw, but we don't.

What WAS working, was lining up with a FB, and then using the FB in the pass game, or running with a FB. Why we didn't do that this week is beyond me. We needed to slow down the game. Let our guys get into a rhythm, and then steadily eat up the lead through all four quarters. Instead, we get draw plays on 2nd and 15 or whatever it was. What? I am truly, and utterly befuddled at the playcalling right now. It's almost like we conceded that our defense wasn't going to be able to hold the other team to three TDs (here's a hint, no matter how bad we think they are, they aren't 4 or 5 TDs bad), and so thought that we had to hurry up and play catch-up all game.

It's a shame to see Troy wasting a good, healthy year on this year. Wish we had him like that last year or the year before (or even in 2010).

steeldawg
10-28-2013, 05:37 AM
We really did abandon the running game and passed way to much. Our o-line needs the balanced attack to help slow the defense down and we just don't have the receiving the corp who can consistently beat coverage and get open down the field. If we try to pass every play with these 5,6,7, yard passes we are expecting long methodical drives with the passing game which puts a lot of prsseure on our o-line, ben, and receivers to be perfect.

Steeldude
10-28-2013, 06:43 AM
We really did abandon the running game and passed way to much. Our o-line needs the balanced attack to help slow the defense down and we just don't have the receiving the corp who can consistently beat coverage and get open down the field. If we try to pass every play with these 5,6,7, yard passes we are expecting long methodical drives with the passing game which puts a lot of prsseure on our o-line, ben, and receivers to be perfect.

How did Bell do without any holes?

JayC
10-28-2013, 06:59 AM
We were given ample opportunities to win and shit majority of them away. Not good enough offensively

ALLD
10-28-2013, 01:18 PM
New lin speech will be Play for Pride.

Shoes
10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Gotta say Haley in particular.

Fact is, we were moving towards having a run game. So, because we're down by seven, or even fourteen points, we abandon it and line up to go pass, pass, pass, and let the pass set up the run? That works, IF you have an O line that can pass block and create enough of a pocket that holes will open up for the RB to run through on a draw, but we don't.

What WAS working, was lining up with a FB, and then using the FB in the pass game, or running with a FB. Why we didn't do that this week is beyond me. We needed to slow down the game. Let our guys get into a rhythm, and then steadily eat up the lead through all four quarters. Instead, we get draw plays on 2nd and 15 or whatever it was. What? I am truly, and utterly befuddled at the playcalling right now. It's almost like we conceded that our defense wasn't going to be able to hold the other team to three TDs (here's a hint, no matter how bad we think they are, they aren't 4 or 5 TDs bad), and so thought that we had to hurry up and play catch-up all game.

It's a shame to see Troy wasting a good, healthy year on this year. Wish we had him like that last year or the year before (or even in 2010).
My very thoughts from game #1

zulater
10-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Because it's Woodley. He's grossly overrated by so many fans. He came up with zero tackles. So much for supposedly being in shape...lol.
I have said it so many times. Woodley's contract is killing the Steelers. I don't see how the FO/coaching thought this guy was worth that kind of dough. He looks no different from any other year.

But wait...he has some sacks so I guess he is the greatest. Who cares about containment, pass coverage, tackling, read/recognition or hustle.

You don't watch or understand nearly as much as you think if you're claiming Woodley was awful this game. Haven't watched the entire game yet, but Woodley was dominating the Raiders right tackle on nearly every drop.

Woodley had quite few qb pressures that impacted plays in a positive way for the Steelers. A normal qb and he would have had multiple sacks this game. I predict he'll be a nightmare for Brady.

NJarhead
10-29-2013, 12:36 PM
:pop2:

zulater
10-29-2013, 01:24 PM
:pop2:

Steeldude said this;

Who cares about containment, pass coverage, tackling, read/recognition or hustle.

On the Raiders final touchdown Woodley is just about the only Steeler who did his job right. He read the play, he kept containment on his side, forced the play to the middle. But no one was home and McFadden walks in untouched.

zulater
10-29-2013, 01:51 PM
I hate to pick on a rookie but if you really want to single out a linebacker who stood out in a bad way it would have to be Jarvis Jones. The Raiders absolutely abused him in the first half. The last touchdown drive in particular the Raiders made it a point to run at Jones. I think 3/4 of the yards they gained that drive came as a result of Jones getting bullied or tricked out of position.

Moose
10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
The WHOLE F'kn organization ! The Steeler herd ! ( May have to come up with a new 'term' other than goat. A goat is useful, they eat brush, poision ivy, weeds, etc., things that need removal. I really haven't seen anything 'useful' in alot of this team so far. Just my opinion.)

jb500ex
10-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Woodley did what he was suppose to on that play. His job was to crash down and everyone's man crush was suppose to come around and cover. But like always Timmons failed yet so many will still claim he's good. Tunch and wolfley confirmed this

- - - Updated - - -

Woodley has been by far the steelers best linebacker this year and its not close. He's the only one that shows up every week he's having a very good season. It's all the other clowns hat have been bad

zulater
10-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Having finally seen the game start to finish I only have one goat. Todd Haley. The slow starts on offense every single week come down to him and his scripted plays. Yeah the defense had it's troubles early too. But there's no reason that we shouldn't have the offensive firepower to answer back with more than two first half field goal attempts. Put 10-17 points on the board in the first half and the defense will start looking a helluva lot better. We need to start dictating the terms of the game through the scoreboard rather than always being the ones reacting to it.

And please don't give me the excuse about the offensive line. Because relatively speaking, in the first half the line that helped win the previous two games was pretty much intact. When the line was at it's weakest was when we finally started moving the chains and putting points on the board.

In essence the further we get from the script and Haley's "brilliant" game plan the better we start to look.

I've got an idea. Lock Haley along with his stupid scripted plays in the locker room when the Steelers come through the tunnel next week.