PDA

View Full Version : Veteran CB Gay making big impact in 2nd stint with Steelers

zulater
10-26-2013, 10:07 AM
William Gay doesn't paint with a broad brush. Instead, he splashes the canvas with simplistic colors void of interpretative shades.
In reality, the Steelers' veteran cornerback envisions most everything on the football field as black or white. There are no gray areas, no room for ambiguity.
He either makes a play or he doesn't. He either shuts down a receiver or he doesn't.
For Gay, football isn't complicated.
Quite simply, Gay saved the day — and perhaps the season — Sunday when he denied Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco two touchdown throws that could have left the Steelers in an irretrievable mess at 1-5.
“Will made two bail-out plays that saved touchdowns (against Baltimore),” safety Ryan Clark said. “He made a great play on a zero blitz when he had no help. Then he came off of his guy to break up a pass in the end zone. He's been a big contributor the last two games.”
“He's been ‘Big Play Gay' since he's been here,” wide receiver Antonio Brown said. “I think people overlook him. He's making big plays, but they don't get magnified like they should.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4936240-74/gay-steelers-making#ixzz2iqBydRiv
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Probably the best offseason acquisition the Steelers made. :thumbsup:

Dwinsgames
10-26-2013, 10:17 AM
he takes a ton of flack for not being Ike , while Ike takes a lot of flack for being Ike ..... he is just another CB in this league IMO , nothing special ... he makes some plays but hell that is why he is being paid lets not make more out of it than what it is ,,, the one play he is getting so much credit for was a poorly thrown ball ( under thrown ) and if it had been put on the money Gay can not make the play because he was trailing by a few yards but since it was under thrown he was luckily in position to make a play because the WR had to slow up and wait for the ball allowing Gay to close the gap .. lucky for Gay , Lucky for the Steelers ...

zulater
10-26-2013, 11:10 AM
he takes a ton of flack for not being Ike , while Ike takes a lot of flack for being Ike ..... he is just another CB in this league IMO , nothing special ... he makes some plays but hell that is why he is being paid lets not make more out of it than what it is ,,, the one play he is getting so much credit for was a poorly thrown ball ( under thrown ) and if it had been put on the money Gay can not make the play because he was trailing by a few yards but since it was under thrown he was luckily in position to make a play because the WR had to slow up and wait for the ball allowing Gay to close the gap .. lucky for Gay , Lucky for the Steelers ...

Look around the league. There's a lot of teams that Gay would provide a serious upgrade to. The qb and receivers get paid too. You can't shut them down every play no matter how good you are.
He's a good guiy to have on the roster.

Dwinsgames
10-26-2013, 11:33 AM
The qb and receivers get paid too. You can't shut them down every play no matter how good you are.

nobody is trying to make that argument ....

I am however tempering the hype , he is not the next coming of Woodson , hell he is not next coming of Willie Williams either .... he is what he is and that is a serviceable CB in this league who I often times beaten like a red headed step sister and then makes a play of two and people want to go over board in his praises ... I however am not to soon to forget his short comings , he is IMO better than Chad Scott if that makes you feel better

zulater
10-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Not better than Willie Williams? You're kidding right? :sofunny: That runt cost us multiple games back in the day.

And I'm not claiming Gay is great. Just good. And given the price good is also good value. We could use a few more Gays on the roster. :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
10-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Not better than Willie Williams? You're kidding right? :sofunny: That runt cost us multiple games back in the day.

And I'm not claiming Gay is great. Just good. And given the price good is also good value. We could use a few more Gays on the roster. :chuckle:

Willie Williams in his second stint with the Steelers > William Gay in his second stint with the Steelers ...... not opinion , Fact

as for the bold , what makes you think we do not already have them

zulater
10-26-2013, 12:22 PM
W
Willie Williams in his second stint with the Steelers > William Gay in his second stint with the Steelers ...... not opinion , Fact

Didn't realize you saying so made it fact.

But it's bs all the same. Willie Williams was awful. He stuck out like a sore thumb constantly. His only saving grace was he had better overall defensive talent around him to hide his inability on most plays.

- - - Updated - - -

Williams had more interceptions, you know why? Because his guy was always open and there were a lot more innacurate passers back then.

Dwinsgames
10-26-2013, 12:27 PM
W

Williams had more interceptions, you know why? Because his guy was always open and there were a lot more innacurate passers back then.

Yea cause Dan Fouts , Dan Marino , Joe Montana , Steve Young , John Elway , Warren Moon etc etc etc sucked Gotcha

NCSteeler
10-26-2013, 12:38 PM
I hated that they resigned Gay. But he has done a decent job filling in a corner. I always thought he was a great nickel guy but he has developed into a bit more than that now. Certainly our best offseason acquisition.

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2013, 12:54 PM

gee i dont know, maybe because a 100% healthy cortez allen (that hasnt been on the injury report for a while) that we were all in love with isnt the starter. Hell, in fact he was often the worst playero on the field against shitty teams (see--> vikings game).

zulater
10-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Yea cause Dan Fouts , Dan Marino , Joe Montana , Steve Young , John Elway , Warren Moon etc etc etc sucked Gotcha

You're forgetting Stan Humpries, Jim Harbaugh, Tim Couch, Jeff Blake, Trent Dilfer, Rodney Peete, Rick Mirer, etc... all All stars. Gotcha. :lol:

ALLD
10-26-2013, 01:21 PM
At least this season his did not get run over by Adrian Petersen.

steeldawg
10-26-2013, 03:28 PM

Not to fan the flames but I will agree with Willie Williams being better than gay, gay has had a handful of decent games in his career, Willie Williams had a 13 year career.

Craic
10-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Who cares who was better than whom across eras that really can't be compared (and yes, there's even a difference in the last 10 years).

Read last night that he is ranked the 15th past CB in the league right now. I'll take that and be happy with it.

HollywoodSteel
10-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Wait a second, that's what I said to you in the game day thread.

You said something like, "dare I say Gay is having his best game ever." And I said that he got lucky because it was under thrown. Are you stealing my brain or something?

zulater
10-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Who cares who was better than whom across eras that really can't be compared (and yes, there's even a difference in the last 10 years).

Read last night that he is ranked the 15th past CB in the league right now. I'll take that and be happy with it.

I assume that was supposed to be best? :lol:

Geez I wonder why people can't just accept that Gay's playing some good football right now :noidea:He's been a good addition. All teams need to have 3 corners that can cover. When Lewis left I wasn't sure who that guy was going to be. And when it was announced it would be Gay I wasn't sure if that was a good thing. well it was. And I'm happy for Gay, and I'm happy for the Steelers that they got a rather competent corner for next to nothing. If that bothers anyone, oh well? Can't see why, but go on with it and be miserable as much as you want.

And so what if the ball was underthrown. Ike's been torched a few times himself this year. Doesn't mean he cant' play. How many times do we see guys in perfect coverage get burned with a perfect back shoulder pass, so it all evens out in the end.

Dwinsgames
10-26-2013, 07:54 PM
You're forgetting Stan Humpries, Jim Harbaugh, Tim Couch, Jeff Blake, Trent Dilfer, Rodney Peete, Rick Mirer, etc... all All stars. Gotcha. :lol:

2 of those guys won superbowls and Harbitch beat us in the playoffs if memory serves ( so not horrible players any more than Gabbert , Ponder , Cassel , Palmer , Weeden. Locker , Fitzpatrick , Clemmons , Freeman , Sanchez , Leftwich , Kolb , Jackson , Skelton , Tebow , Beck , Palko ( and the list goes on and on ) of poor to horrible QBs that have NFL starts in the past 3 years alone ......

but ummm yea ok whatever ya say Zu

zulater
10-26-2013, 08:10 PM
2 of those guys won superbowls and Harbitch beat us in the playoffs if memory serves ( so not horrible players any more than Gabbert , Ponder , Cassel , Palmer , Weeden. Locker , Fitzpatrick , Clemmons , Freeman , Sanchez , Leftwich , Kolb , Jackson , Skelton , Tebow , Beck , Palko ( and the list goes on and on ) of poor to horrible QBs that have NFL starts in the past 3 years alone ......

Quarterbacking wasn't any better then than it is now.

Regardless the Steeler let Williams walk as a young player after the 96 season without much effort to keep him as I recall. And I don't remember being particularly upset by it. I don't think he was a very good cornerback in any phase of the game other than catching balls thrown to him.

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2013, 08:40 PM

dont make me pull out the trent dilfer vs dan marino argument :lol:

Dwinsgames
10-26-2013, 09:34 PM
dont make me pull out the trent dilfer vs dan marino argument :lol:

you can if you like but no sure what good it will do , this has already turned into a train wreck

zulater
10-27-2013, 12:14 AM
you can if you like but no sure what good it will do , this has already turned into a train wreck

Of your making.

Dwinsgames
10-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Of your making.

I REFUSE to take all the credit ..... it was you that clamed he was the best FA acquisition ,you claimed the QBs in Willie Williams day where lesser than those of today .... both comments are as far fetched ( or more so ) than anything I have said here

Psycho Ward 86
10-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Of your making.

do people realize anymore that a forum is for agreeing to disagree, and not being right all the time? Or maybe not even at all

zulater
10-27-2013, 01:52 AM
I REFUSE to take all the credit ..... it was you that clamed he was the best FA acquisition ,you claimed the QBs in Willie Williams day where lesser than those of today .... both comments are as far fetched ( or more so ) than anything I have said here

And your the one who chose to be a total douche over an innocuous thread that was mostly a cut and paste of a tribune review article that gave a little credit to a guy who tends to be viewed as a weak link, or at least was coming into the season. No claims of grandeur, just thought the article was worth posting.

And if I'm wrong about Gay being the best offseason acquisition tell me who was rather than dredging up Willie Williams. Because one thing I'm certain of, Willie Williams wasn't brought in this last offseason. So what relevance he had in this thread to start with is mystifying? :noidea:

- - - Updated - - -

This is the biggest load of shit ever posted on these forums. Willie Williams was a bit player in his second stint as a Steeler. Hardly saw the field.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2004.htm

Willie Williams didn't even register a tackle in his second coming! WTF!

Dwinsgames
10-27-2013, 09:49 AM
http://www.nfl.com/player/williewilliams/2503737/profile

This is the biggest load of shit ever posted on these forums. Willie Williams was a bit player in his second stint as a Steeler. Hardly saw the field.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2004.htm

Willie Williams didn't even register a tackle in his second coming! WTF!

might I suggest you learn how to look up statistics before shoving your foot further down your own throat ?

come on Zu you had to know better before typing that shit out and you also had to know I would call you out on it

zulater
10-27-2013, 06:56 PM

might I suggest you learn how to look up statistics before shoving your foot further down your own throat ?

come on Zu you had to know better before typing that shit out and you also had to know I would call you out on it

Tell you what, I'll send a tweet to Wexall, Bouchette, and Dulac, and ask them who was better peak value between Williams and Gay and defer to them and post their answers.

Dwinsgames
10-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Tell you what, I'll send a tweet to Wexall, Bouchette, and Dulac, and ask them who was better peak value between Williams and Gay and defer to them and post their answers.

do what ya want , but I do not need their opinion to form my own conclusions .. Willie Williams in 2004 played lights out football for us , I remember it , don't need a senile Douchette to tell me what I seen

zulater
10-27-2013, 07:05 PM
do what ya want , but I do not need their opinion to form my own conclusions .. Willie Williams in 2004 played lights out football for us , I remember it , don't need a senile Douchette to tell me what I seen

Willie Williams was a liability in coverage his entire career. That's why they let him walk without any effort to keep him while he was still in his so called prime in 96. If it wasn't for Carnell Lake saving his ass God only knows how many completions he would have gave up. The best move Cowher ever made was putting the slighty less mediocre Deshea Townsend in the starting lineup in place of Willie the shrimp.

Hawkman
10-27-2013, 08:39 PM

THIS!!