PDA

View Full Version : "God Bless America" Singer Not Actually A Retired USMC Sergeant

Devilsdancefloor
10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
http://deadspin.com/god-bless-america-singer-not-actually-a-retired-usmc-1451218077?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

When Dan Clark finished his performance of "God Bless America" after the top of the seventh inning last night at Fenway, the Internet exploded in praise of a man we were told was a retired United States Marine Corps Sergeant. We were told wrong, a source at the United State Marine Corps acknowledged.

Dan Clark, known as "The Singing Trooper," is indeed a retired sergeant—of the Massachusetts State Police. He's performed his patriotic act all over the country, including numerous times at Fenway Park. He's never done it in a USMC uniform, though (most often, he's worn his state trooper duds) which made us wonder exactly what was up with Clark wearing dress blues for his performance during the World Series:

i told my son lat night when we where watching that no way in hell that guy was "retired" he had no ribbons plus 20 years only a e-5. this guy needs taken out back and had a talking too by a few marines

Hindes204
10-24-2013, 09:28 PM
While I applaud his service, he is not a retired Marine and has no business wearing the uniform. Huge mistake by the Red Sox, the singer, and the dumbass Marine who gave him permission to wear it

Devilsdancefloor
10-25-2013, 07:34 AM
i heard folks say let it go its just a uniform, but i just dont see it that way

fansince'76
10-25-2013, 12:05 PM
i heard folks say let it go its just a uniform, but i just dont see it that way

And I'd venture to bet that the people making those kinds of statements are also part of the same uber-PC crowd who have their knickers in a twist over the team name of the "Washington Redskins."

Let it go, it's just a name. :coffee:

NJarhead
10-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Not sure why a former Marine would even feel comfortable wearing the uniform nearly 30 years after his four year stint.

Who claimed he was "retired?" If the articled stated it was him who claimed it, then I missed it.

This doesn't strike me as a huge deal (like stolen valor). He earned the title and he's only wearing his "good cookie." lol