PDA

View Full Version : Olli Maatta to remain with Pens

X-Terminator
10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Ninteen-year-old defenseman Olli Maatta will remain with the Penguins, it was announced today by General Manager Ray Shero on the team's official Twitter account.

"Based on his play, we believe this is the best decision for Olli and the Penguins," Shero said. "We want to thank Mark and Dale Hunter and the London Knights for their patience and understanding."

Maatta, who was drafted by the Penguins in the first round (22nd overall) in 2012, is still eligible to play junior hockey for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. He had eight goals and 30 assists for 38 points in 57 games for the Knights last season.

More: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=688259&navid=DL|PIT|home

I'm a little surprised, but happy at the same time. The kid has earned the right to stay. Question now is who goes?

steelerdude15
10-24-2013, 07:57 PM
I think its a good move. He brings youth, speed, and excellent skating skills to our defense. Plus he can learn a lot from the vets on the team. I think Olli is going to be a great player.

mark0933
10-26-2013, 02:58 PM
He will be missed here in London - the Knights host the Memorial cup this year (The superbowl of junior hockey in a 4 team tournament for the winners of the 3 major junior leagues in Canada and the host city) and having him in the line-up would certainly help, but everyone knows that is the curse of having a good junior team - they all go up to their NHL team at some point hopefully.

Mark