PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offensive lineman DeCastro has guarded optimism

zulater
10-24-2013, 04:10 AM
The Steelers aren't quite ready to compare David DeCastro to Alan Faneca, the best offensive guard in team history and a nine-time Pro Bowl selection.
In a few weeks? Maybe.
The Steelers' running game is being revived because of Le'Veon Bell's post-injury breakout and a rapidly improving blocking unit led by DeCastro.
In less than a full season as a starter, DeCastro already is the NFL's fourth highest-ranked guard in Pro Football Focus' player grading.
According to his teammates, DeCastro is only beginning to tap the talent, internal databank and wealth of resources that, center Fernando Velasco said, are “going to make him a very good player for a long time.”
“He's definitely had some efforts, some plays that showed on film, ‘Hey, this guy is going to work,' ” said Bell, who gained 51 of his 93 yards Sunday against the Ravens running behind DeCastro. The Steelers ran for 141 yards, their most in nearly a year.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4931018-74/decastro-steelers-season#ixzz2id3R3D9A
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Craic
10-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Good article, and good find.

I can't help but think that we should stick Adams to his right and find out whether it's a go, or we should drop Adams at the end of the season. It'd sure be nice to have a very solid center, guard, and tackle along the right side. Then we'd just have to worry about the last two guys on the left.

NCSteeler
10-24-2013, 08:37 AM
If the line and the season keep getting better, I don't see why they would not shop Pouncey with a year left on his deal. Valesco may have just arrived at a lucky time, but the line has played much better on the interior since his arrival. But again it could be that Pouncey was trying to do too much to help other guys out and Valesco came in and just focused on his job, whatever the reason, through 4 preseason games and game 1 the line was worst ever and now it's not.

And yes DeCastro is improving and will be a solid player

Craic
10-24-2013, 03:36 PM
If the line and the season keep getting better, I don't see why they would not shop Pouncey with a year left on his deal. Valesco may have just arrived at a lucky time, but the line has played much better on the interior since his arrival. But again it could be that Pouncey was trying to do too much to help other guys out and Valesco came in and just focused on his job, whatever the reason, through 4 preseason games and game 1 the line was worst ever and now it's not.

And yes DeCastro is improving and will be a solid player

Because, IMO, it was foolish to let Legursky go. If this year has proven anything, its that we need to have two dedicated centers on the team.

HollywoodSteel
10-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Because, IMO, it was foolish to let Legursky go. If this year has proven anything, its that we need to have two dedicated centers on the team.

Yeah, I figured he must have gotten himself some kind of great contract with Buffalo, but Legursky basically got a 2 year, $2 mil contract with $800,000 as his base salary in 2013. That's pretty much vet min. isn't it? Why the hell didn't they keep him?

Count Steeler
10-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I figured he must have gotten himself some kind of great contract with Buffalo, but Legursky basically got a 2 year, $2 mil contract with $800,000 as his base salary in 2013. That's pretty much vet min. isn't it? Why the hell didn't they keep him?

He made the team in Buffalo because of other injuries to their O Line. He did not have a good camp and preseason. (Radio 550AM, Buffalo Bills football station)