PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Offensive line hurts Ravens

stillers4me
10-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh might not be on the best of terms after their postgame handshake flap a year ago in Baltimore, but they do have something in common this season. Both have cringed at times when watching their offensive lines try to protect their $100 million quarterbacks.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, who signed a $120 million contract after leading the Ravens to a Super Bowl title in February, has been under even more duress than Ben Roethlisberger...........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/offensive-line-hurts-ravens-707924/#ixzz2i1xfiaGo

ALLD
10-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Steelers will need to jump out to an early lead, so they can still lose a close game.

Seven
10-18-2013, 12:32 AM
The thing that is interesting to me about the Ravens line is so many people seem to think they are going to improve immensely with Monroe at left tackle. I think the player has a lot of talent, but there are a lot of folks in Jacksonville who thought he was a complete bust. He isn't a stud by any means. I'm not sure he's a clear cut upgrade over McKinnie.

fansince'76
10-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, who signed a $120 million contract after leading the Ravens to a Super Bowl title in February, has been under even more duress than Ben Roethlisberger...........

I haven't seen the Ravens play this year yet, but I find that hard to believe.

The Ravens have given up 19 sacks, which is as many as the embattled Steelers offensive line has allowed. Only six other teams have allowed more sacks.

The Ravens offensive line also has allowed Flacco to be hurried 69 times. Only the New York Giants have allowed more quarterback hurries this season.

Wow, I guess their line does suck even worse.

Steeldude
10-18-2013, 07:38 AM
The problem is the Steelers have no pass rush

steelreserve
10-18-2013, 01:52 PM
The problem is the Steelers have no pass rush

Yeah, you could put an open barn door in front of the QB and our guys would find a way to block themselves. And probably get injured in the process.

In the future, though: Welcome to having a crappy O-Line, Baltimore. Probably crappy receivers too. You gave all your money to Moonball Joe, and now there's no way to fix either of those things once the insane balloon years of his contract kick in.

Crow-Magnon
10-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah, you could put an open barn door in front of the QB and our guys would find a way to block themselves. And probably get injured in the process.

In the future, though: Welcome to having a crappy O-Line, Baltimore. Probably crappy receivers too. You gave all your money to Moonball Joe, and now there's no way to fix either of those things once the insane balloon years of his contract kick in.

Truth be told...Yanda is having an off year, so is Osemele. Gradkowski, while touted as a quality center, is no Matt Birk. And McKinnie plays for McKinnie. And Oher is not the tackle people thought he would be when he was a rookie. If Yanda and Osemele were playing like they did last year, it would take some pressure of Gradkowski, who right now is getting pushed around like a schoolgirl in pigtails. It really has nothing to do with Flacco's contract.

Psycho Ward 86
10-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Truth be told...Yanda is having an off year, so is Osemele. Gradkowski, while touted as a quality center, is no Matt Birk. And McKinnie plays for McKinnie. And Oher is not the tackle people thought he would be when he was a rookie. If Yanda and Osemele were playing like they did last year, it would take some pressure of Gradkowski, who right now is getting pushed around like a schoolgirl in pigtails. It really has nothing to do with Flacco's contract.

i dont understand how that happens. i just figured gradkowski wasnt cutting it as a replacement for Matt Birk and McKinnie just got fat again or something. Did Osmele and Yanda get hurt or something? I thought Yanda was a pro bowler

steelreserve
10-19-2013, 04:22 PM

No, not yet. The cap number is still reasonable this year, and they still have the original players from before. When it gets to a $30M cap hit, though, just try fixing anything, let alone improving.

Count Steeler
10-19-2013, 05:17 PM
No, not yet. The cap number is still reasonable this year, and they still have the original players from before. When it gets to a $30M cap hit, though, just try fixing anything, let alone improving.

Yeah, but with our luck, the cap will be increased by $20m this year and $10m next year and everything will be fine.

I don't understand why the NFLPA hasn't made more of a stink about the stagnant cap.

salamander
10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Yeah, but with our luck, the cap will be increased by $20m this year and $10m next year and everything will be fine.

I don't understand why the NFLPA hasn't made more of a stink about the stagnant cap.

And meanwhile, we'd still find a way to put ourselves in cap space hell.