PDA

View Full Version : Ok you got my attention now lets see if it sticks

60_MINUTES
10-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Since we all know Mike Tomlin is only coaching to inpress me. I will say nice job the boys looked fired up and that's something we've not been use to seeing lately. My rule stands take this team or next years team to playoffs and I will never doubt him as a head coach One thing though why in the hell did we dress wimpy and not Adams ? It's things like this that will continue to get him questioned. Wimpy is flat out pathetic. Adams has at least. Proven he can play a decent Rt. and I don't want to hear that u could have used wimpy at guard we could have moved beachum there if needed. Anyway the guys looked focused and ready to play ball one down and IMO at least 4 to go we will need to be 5-4 before we have a set back IMO

Devilsdancefloor
10-16-2013, 10:49 AM
you dress wimpy to see how adams responds if he is a lazy bastard and doesnt care or if he gets motivated and improves his footwork then you know what you have in the young man

60_MINUTES
10-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Games are far to important in the NFL to play mind games with players at 0-4 that's quite stupid.

NJarhead
10-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Games are far to important in the NFL to play mind games with players at 0-4 that's quite stupid.

It's called incentive and it falls under the motivation category. All coaches use it. For that matter, many leaders use it. What you don't do, is promise, show or support entitlement. THAT, my friend, is quite stupid.

HollywoodSteel
10-16-2013, 03:29 PM
It's called incentive and it falls under the motivation category. All coaches use it. For that matter, many leaders use it. What you don't do, is promise, show or support entitlement. THAT, my friend, is quite stupid.

There's probably a fine line between good leadership and cutting off your nose to spite your face, but I'm actually going to give Tomlin a little more credit here than I have thus far. He has said that he doesn't send messages, he takes actions. Now, unless that's just a silly word game, it must mean something. So I'm going to interpret it to mean that Tomlin believed that dressing Whimper over Adams put us in a better position to win on Sunday. Maybe that's because Whimper can (theoretically) play guard and he went with the more versatile back-up vs. the better tackle. Dressing them both would mean not dressing a ST guy so he made his decision based on that. Or maybe he actually believes that right now, today, Whimper is the better tackle. Who knows? As a fan looking in from the outside, it looks like the wrong decision. Luckily we never had to see the decision implode with Whimper having to play. But of course, Tomlin is privy to more info and insight than us so maybe Whimper is better... even though that seems a little hard to swallow.

To take Tomlin at his word, I don't think it was to send a message. He is benching Adams either way. It doesn't really punish Adams anymore to not dress him, at least not enough to be worth it if indeed Tomlin believed he gave us a better chance to win should the need arise.

LLT
10-16-2013, 03:58 PM

They did the same with Brown...and with Mendenhall. The reality (and stigma) of going from a starter to not even dressing is usually a good wake up call for a player that isnt giving his 100%.

Letting him think that he gets "a pass" is stupid. Showing him that Beechum actually played better is a reality check.

60_MINUTES
10-16-2013, 05:49 PM
I guess what I'm saying is guy wimpy shouldn't be on an NFL roster and gives us 0 shot at winning. At least Adams has played solid at times. In the NFL u play to win u can send messages other ways. If Tomlin dressed a lessor team to send a message that's pathetic and childish and not fair to the team trying to win football games. If Tomlin dressed wimpy cause he thinks he's better option than Adams then that to is pathetic. Either way it was a dumb move that could have cost us. Benching him I believe is message enough. Bottom line he didn't think he needed him due to have Levi brown and it almost back fired , had wimpy came in the game Our season would have Prob been over. Shit keeping him on the team at all is pathetic.

Count Steeler
10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
I guess what I'm saying is guy wimpy shouldn't be on an NFL roster and gives us 0 shot at winning. At least Adams has played solid at times. In the NFL u play to win u can send messages other ways. If Tomlin dressed a lessor team to send a message that's pathetic and childish and not fair to the team trying to win football games. If Tomlin dressed wimpy cause he thinks he's better option than Adams then that to is pathetic. Either way it was a dumb move that could have cost us. Benching him I believe is message enough. Bottom line he didn't think he needed him due to have Levi brown and it almost back fired , had wimpy came in the game Our season would have Prob been over. Shit keeping him on the team at all is pathetic.

I get the theory behind Tomlin's decision, but I don't like our depth on the O Line. Tomlin had his 5 starters plus 1 Tackle and 1 Interior lineman dressed as backups. Unfortunately, Brown got injured in warmups and left us exposed to potential catastrophe. Fortunately, we didn't suffer any injuries and Beachum played more than well enough, so we averted disaster this week.

HollywoodSteel
10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
I've only gotten about half way through this, but I challenge any of you to take a drink every time Tomlin says, "obviously." *

http://prod.www.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/video-and-audio/videos/Mike_Tomlin_on_Steelers_vs_Ravens/bb75d78a-4239-48e0-b09c-75b215e65adc

* For legal purposes I must say that this is a joke, and actually taking the challenge could result in alcohol poisoning. Please drink responsibly.

NJarhead
10-17-2013, 07:18 AM
There's probably a fine line between good leadership and cutting off your nose to spite your face, but I'm actually going to give Tomlin a little more credit here than I have thus far. He has said that he doesn't send messages, he takes actions. Now, unless that's just a silly word game, it must mean something. So I'm going to interpret it to mean that Tomlin believed that dressing Whimper over Adams put us in a better position to win on Sunday. Maybe that's because Whimper can (theoretically) play guard and he went with the more versatile back-up vs. the better tackle. Dressing them both would mean not dressing a ST guy so he made his decision based on that. Or maybe he actually believes that right now, today, Whimper is the better tackle. Who knows? As a fan looking in from the outside, it looks like the wrong decision. Luckily we never had to see the decision implode with Whimper having to play. But of course, Tomlin is privy to more info and insight than us so maybe Whimper is better... even though that seems a little hard to swallow.

To take Tomlin at his word, I don't think it was to send a message. He is benching Adams either way. It doesn't really punish Adams anymore to not dress him, at least not enough to be worth it if indeed Tomlin believed he gave us a better chance to win should the need arise.

All good points. But I believe, heck, I KNOW that the message is there regardless of the intent. Ike Taylor apparently knows that too, judging by his encouragement of the benched players. Call it a beneficial side effect, but it gets in these players heads and that is a useful tool that has been utilized time and time again.

- - - Updated - - -

I've only gotten about half way through this, but I challenge any of you to take a drink every time Tomlin says, "obviously." *

http://prod.www.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/video-and-audio/videos/Mike_Tomlin_on_Steelers_vs_Ravens/bb75d78a-4239-48e0-b09c-75b215e65adc

* For legal purposes I must say that this is a joke, and actually taking the challenge could result in alcohol poisoning. Please drink responsibly.

POST OF THE DAY!!!!!

:rofl2:

Mojouw
10-17-2013, 12:21 PM
I think that physically Adams is certainly more talented then Whimper. i suspect that he is so mentally broken right now, that he will not be dressing until he can get his head straight. When I watch Adams, I see a player who has yet to develop the selective amnesia necessary for a professional to deal with the inevitable failure that can happen on a given play. He is thinking too much and letting past plays eat away at future performance.

I think Decastro may be suffering from this as well. See the stories about Pouncey's injury. I hate to play head-shrinker, but it seems relevant...

NJarhead
10-17-2013, 12:30 PM
I think that physically Adams is certainly more talented then Whimper. i suspect that he is so mentally broken right now, that he will not be dressing until he can get his head straight. When I watch Adams, I see a player who has yet to develop the selective amnesia necessary for a professional to deal with the inevitable failure that can happen on a given play. He is thinking too much and letting past plays eat away at future performance.

I think Decastro may be suffering from this as well. See the stories about Pouncey's injury. I hate to play head-shrinker, but it seems relevant...

I recall reading that he (adams) had a lot of attitude and I remember thinking, "oh great, we're going to see a lot of flags for unnecessary roughness and fighting." Dude's been a buttercup. He needs to go kick somebody's ass and get that self esteem back up.

HollywoodSteel
10-17-2013, 05:36 PM
I recall reading that he (adams) had a lot of attitude and I remember thinking, "oh great, we're going to see a lot of flags for unnecessary roughness and fighting." Dude's been a buttercup. He needs to go kick somebody's ass and get that self esteem back up.

I think the person who can help him the most is Pouncey. He needs to grab DeCastro and slap him around while saying, " forget about what happened to me. Now go out there and start killing people!"

Count Steeler
10-17-2013, 05:39 PM

I wondered aloud somewhere else on this board, but I wonder if the stabbing did something to his psyche. The guy might be having nightmares and he is too "proud" to get some help. His body may have healed, but it "appears" he has some demons in his closet.

HollywoodSteel
10-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I think the person who can help him the most is Pouncey. He needs to grab DeCastro and slap him around while saying, " forget about what happened to me. Now go out there and start killing people!"

Sorry that was meant to be a reply to Mojouw. Clearly I'm talking about DeCastro,not Adams. I have no idea what Adams's problem is.

60_MINUTES
10-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Sorry that was meant to be a reply to Mojouw. Clearly I'm talking about DeCastro,not Adams. I have no idea what Adams's problem is.

Lol on last statement