PDA

View Full Version : Gene Collier: Offense going wide

stillers4me
10-14-2013, 09:20 AM
In an all-but-forgotten moment of unique insight at an early juncture of this misbegotten Steelers season, offensive spokesman Antonio Brown actually blurted this.

"Our theme this season is winning," he said. "Winning."

No one understood then that it was actually that Charlie Sheen kind of winning, the kind that means, you know, falling apart.

So when the Steelers finally gulped a taste of the real thing here Sunday, an actual, official, validated 19-6 victory against the New York Jets, there was still plenty of evidence that the best thing about a fully-deserved 1-4 record is probably that it's better than a barely averted 0-5.

Or as coach Mike Tomlin put it, "It's not like winning the lottery."

Too true, but two truths did emerge as the Steelers came out of the off week with a performance that represented their only approximation of cohesion so far............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/gene-collier-offense-going-wide-707514/#ixzz2hhq3kxMI

Steelman
10-14-2013, 09:38 AM
I still think this offense misses Mike Wallace, not for his speed (and stone hands), but because with him that gave us three pretty good wideouts. We still need a third receiver not named Heath Miller to step up behind Brown and Sanders.

With D. Johnson going down for possibly the season, it becomes even more vital. I think with this offensive line, we can really only do one thing well at a time while we weather these injuries and wait for more "jelling." It seems like it's either focus on the run or focus on pass protection. I think the pass pro gives us a better shot. Keep Ben standing and he'll rediscover some of that magic from the past. But he needs a third WR to open it up.

Who's that guy? Cotchery is a solid vet, but he's better served as the 4th guy on the chart. Wheaton could be the guy, but we haven't seen much of him yet. Derek Mowe? Maybe a good red zone target, but remains to be seen.

Hopefully Wheaton can get fully healthy and see more snaps.

Craic
10-14-2013, 03:54 PM
First win, a decent win even, and this Gene Collier writes a Maddenesque piece. Sad. The snarky, tongue-in-cheek tone was completely uncalled for IMO in this article.

tube517
10-14-2013, 08:20 PM
I still think this offense misses Mike Wallace, not for his speed (and stone hands), but because with him that gave us three pretty good wideouts. We still need a third receiver not named Heath Miller to step up behind Brown and Sanders.

With D. Johnson going down for possibly the season, it becomes even more vital. I think with this offensive line, we can really only do one thing well at a time while we weather these injuries and wait for more "jelling." It seems like it's either focus on the run or focus on pass protection. I think the pass pro gives us a better shot. Keep Ben standing and he'll rediscover some of that magic from the past. But he needs a third WR to open it up.

Who's that guy? Cotchery is a solid vet, but he's better served as the 4th guy on the chart. Wheaton could be the guy, but we haven't seen much of him yet. Derek Mowe? Maybe a good red zone target, but remains to be seen.

Hopefully Wheaton can get fully healthy and see more snaps.

http://www.covenanteyes.com/lemonade/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/can-of-worms1.jpg

:chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
10-14-2013, 08:31 PM
First win, a decent win even, and this Gene Collier writes a Maddenesque piece. Sad. The snarky, tongue-in-cheek tone was completely uncalled for IMO in this article.
i couldnt agree more it very uncalled for, but im sure he is getting a lot of hits on his story

GoSlash27
10-14-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm looking forward to Wheaton. That kind of speed with good hands might just be enough to make this offense credible.

GoSlash27
10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
*EDIT* And I do agree with Collier on one point: As long as we don't have a running game, we will remain one- dimensional.

steeldawg
10-15-2013, 05:48 AM
Well I will say if your not trying to spread the jets out and pass well then you would be an idiot. The jets have a very good run defense, rex ryan's first priority has always been stop the run. I don't know about many sanders and Antonio brown carrying the team, Brown is going to get his catches but they are working him short and sanders despite a blown coverage by the jets hardly gets open and has trouble hanging on to the ball. I do think we need a guy who can stretch the field, hopefully wheaton will be the guy.

HollywoodSteel
10-15-2013, 08:18 PM
While Wheaton is out I wonder if they'll work Moye in at all. I know he was on the field for at least one play against the Jets. He is tall and we know Ben likes 'em tall!

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2013, 08:32 PM
While Wheaton is out I wonder if they'll work Moye in at all. I know he was on the field for at least one play against the Jets. He is tall and we know Ben likes 'em tall!

i thought wheaton was supposed to possibly play against the ravens? or is that the next ravens game?

HollywoodSteel
10-15-2013, 08:40 PM
i thought wheaton was supposed to possibly play against the ravens? or is that the next ravens game?

It seems that he's out against the Ravens but will hopefully play the following week:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/15/4841292/markus-wheaton-injury-update-steelers