PDA

View Full Version : Beachum starts on O-line after Levi Brown hurt

stillers4me
10-14-2013, 09:11 AM
The Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)' oft-maligned offensive line absorbed another blow moments before kickoff when newly acquired tackle Levi Brown was scratched from the game.

Brown, who was expected to share duty at left tackle with second-year man Kelvin Beachum, suffered a triceps injury during pregame warmups. The short-handed offensive line gave up three sacks and paved the way for only 73 yards rushing.

“It was good enough for the win, but I have some things to fix,” Beachum said. “But I thought we did a great job of finishing............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4876704-74/beachum-brown-steelers#ixzz2hhnqFMi1

Steelman
10-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Is it too early to label Levi Brown a bust? :chuckle:

stillers4me
10-14-2013, 09:28 AM

Nope. :lol:

Moose
10-14-2013, 09:31 AM
BUST! If he get's injured in 'warm-ups' (?) he'll get killed in a game !

Shoes
10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
The ghost of Lefty has returned.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2013, 02:26 PM

He hasn't given up one sack, pressure, or committed a single penalty. He might be the best LT we've ever had!

ALLD
10-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Maybe he was sandbagging an earlier injury and the Cards got one up on us.

tube517
10-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Since he is a bust, he should now be called Le'Vi-on Brown or Jarvis Brown. :chuckle:

zulater
10-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Maybe he was sandbagging an earlier injury and the Cards got one up on us.

He had to pass a physical before the trade was made official.

zulater
10-15-2013, 04:44 AM
Kelvin Beachum got whipped by Muhammad Wilkerson early. The play would have resulted in a safety if it wasn't for the nifty footwork of Ben Roethlisberger. After that, Beachum didn't allow a hit, a pressure or miss an assignment the rest of the game — despite a couple of questionable holding calls. What was most impressive with Beachum was his ability to get to the second level — something that's not common with tackles.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4877635-74/steelers-game-jets#ixzz2hmYpDnrs
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Maybe we got something here?

Count Steeler
10-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Kelvin Beachum got whipped by Muhammad Wilkerson early. The play would have resulted in a safety if it wasn't for the nifty footwork of Ben Roethlisberger. After that, Beachum didn't allow a hit, a pressure or miss an assignment the rest of the game — despite a couple of questionable holding calls. What was most impressive with Beachum was his ability to get to the second level — something that's not common with tackles.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4877635-74/steelers-game-jets#ixzz2hmYpDnrs

The kid works hard and he has a brain. Hard to believe we got him in the 7th round. He has picked up the ability to play any position along the line in 1 1/2 years. Keep him at LT.

Shoes
10-15-2013, 08:10 AM
The kid works hard and he has a brain. Hard to believe we got him in the 7th round. He has picked up the ability to play any position along the line in 1 1/2 years. Keep him at LT.

I agree, Count....and I do believe this young man has a nasty attitude when playing.

dislocatedday
10-15-2013, 08:59 AM
I agree, Count....and I do believe this young man has a nasty attitude when playing.

Yes, Pouncey had been the only guy on the line IMO that played with a ferocious tenacity and aggression. When he went down, it just seemed to me like the line lost some attitude. Beachum seems to have that nasty streak. It's hard to describe in words, but I know it when I see it.

Wilkerson is no slouch either, so the fact that Beachum did not continuously get whipped is a good sign.

Count Steeler
10-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I noticed that as well. He may be the anchor that this line has needed.

katmandu
10-15-2013, 06:40 PM
The kid (Beachum) works hard and he has a brain. There's the big difference between Beachum and Adams. Beachum has a brain and Adams does not. Adams has the physical skill set but lacks the intelligence to make it happen.

Also, how the hell did Brown hurt his tricep so bad that he's now on IR ??????

tube517
10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
There's the big difference between Beachum and Adams. Beachum has a brain and Adams does not. Adams has the physical skill set but lacks the intelligence to make it happen.

Also, how the hell did Brown hurt his tricep so bad that he's now on IR ??????

Either Marcus Gilbert fell on his tricep or DeCastro whiffed at a practice block and pummelled Le'vion Brown's arm.

Mojouw
10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
So we finally drafted a lineman who isn't a borderline moron? Amazing. Actually Pouncey appears to have a few brains in his head. DeCastro went to Stanford. So perhaps we finally have a tackle with some smarts.

katmandu
10-15-2013, 06:50 PM
So who (Tackles) are available right now ?

LLT
10-15-2013, 06:59 PM
So who (Tackles) are available right now ?

Do you mean as Free agents?

HollywoodSteel
10-15-2013, 07:05 PM
So we finally drafted a lineman who isn't a borderline moron? Amazing. Actually Pouncey appears to have a few brains in his head. DeCastro went to Stanford. So perhaps we finally have a tackle with some smarts.

I don't know. The way DeCastro took out Pouncey makes me question Stanford's standards.

Count Steeler
10-15-2013, 07:13 PM
If they don't add any depth to the O Line, I am assuming that Adams will dress and be a backup. Whimper is backup for T and G? Real problem is if Velasco would go down, cause then Beachum would move to center?

They should try and pickup an interior lineman with experience at center. I would like to see Beachum finish out the year at LT. Adams should supplant Gilbert.

- - - Updated - - -

Depth chart has Cody Wallace as backup center. http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Cody-Wallace/09476fa5-5ad1-42da-9fd6-7efea6d6bda3

Didn't know they picked him up.

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2013, 07:26 PM

thats awesome news. theres hope for the o-line yet. thats one hell of a first start at left tackle, going up against muhammad wilkerson. all i keep hearing is that he's (wilkerson) one of the best out there. so that was a big test, and looks like beachum actually played well as the game went on. However, reading other parts of the article:

1) Im very concerned that william gay is already starting in place of cortez allen. cortez allen wasnt even on the injury report this week. i appreciate gay as a nickel corner, but i dont want to see him out there as a starter too much. i was looking forward to seeing what cortez could do while healthy after he completely bombed in London.

2) "Roethlisberger got rid of the ball in less than two seconds in all but 12 of his 30 throws; there were at least two tight ends on the field for 35 of the Steelers' 61 offensive snaps.
That resulted in Roethlisberger getting sacked only three times and hit three other times."

I liked the strategy we used against a vastly superior defensive line, but this is still very concerning. If were going to get sacked 3 times out of 12 passes that arent throw in less than 2 seconds, were in big trouble. Because we arent going to be able to throw screens all day.

3) "The outside zone blocking scheme was never going to be a big part of the Steelers' running game, but it is looking more like it might be gone for good. The Steelers called 26 run plays and didn't use the outside zone once. However, it has become a nice part of the Steelers' play-action and waggle game, which forces defenses to flow to one side allowing the backside to be open clear."

Again, same thing. If our tendency to use outside zone is going to be almost exclusively for play-action, teams are going to catch on. we need to show teams we can be a threat to run successfully with ZBS when we use it

Craic
10-15-2013, 09:42 PM
They should try and pickup an interior lineman with experience at center. I would like to see Beachum finish out the year at LT. Adams should supplant Gilbert.

This. This, this this.

zulater
10-15-2013, 09:54 PM
This. This, this this.

No no no! Gilbert played a decent game against the Jets. The last we saw of Adams he was so out of whack he didn't look as if he belonged in the league.
Rewatching some of that Vikings game it was the exception when Adams came close to making a block, almost as if he just managed to accidentally put his body in the right place a couple times. Adams head is screwed up right now. He needs a couple games away and some serious coaching to see if he can even be part of this roster. No way do you bench Gilbert for Adams at this point.

Seven
10-15-2013, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't put Adams back on the field this year unless it was an emergency. Gilbert isn't lighting the league on fire but he isn't the liability Adams is. Try and let Adams get his head right and he can compete for that spot in camp next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Beachum's holding penalties came on running plays - not in pass protection. So except for those few pressures at the very beginning of the game he had nearly a flawless time protecting Ben's backside. I didn't notice the team giving him massive help either. Dwyer was in there a couple plays to chip if memory serves but outside of that I didn't notice overkill on help to that side. He definitely had a good game. Here's hoping it continues.

Craic
10-16-2013, 01:27 AM
No no no! Gilbert played a decent game against the Jets. The last we saw of Adams he was so out of whack he didn't look as if he belonged in the league.
Rewatching some of that Vikings game it was the exception when Adams came close to making a block, almost as if he just managed to accidentally put his body in the right place a couple times. Adams head is screwed up right now. He needs a couple games away and some serious coaching to see if he can even be part of this roster. No way do you bench Gilbert for Adams at this point.

A decent game? I went back and watched the game again, and Gilbert looked like Mahan without the talent (ouch). The guy was a mess out there. I have no idea why Adams struggles on the left side, but if Count Steeler has his way and Beachum is on the left side, then Adams absolutely should be started on the right side. He's a ton better in pass blocking over there, and a much better run blocker than Gilbert as well.

If the right side was anchored by a great RT, then I'd say cut Adams. But it's not, and I do believe that Adams is our best RT on the team. Gilbert? I'm just impressed he hasn't injured anyone else this year.

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2013, 01:39 AM
A decent game? I went back and watched the game again, and Gilbert looked like Mahan without the talent (ouch). The guy was a mess out there. I have no idea why Adams struggles on the left side, but if Count Steeler has his way and Beachum is on the left side, then Adams absolutely should be started on the right side. He's a ton better in pass blocking over there, and a much better run blocker than Gilbert as well.

If the right side was anchored by a great RT, then I'd say cut Adams. But it's not, and I do believe that Adams is our best RT on the team. Gilbert? I'm just impressed he hasn't injured anyone else this year.

i think we have to give sheldon richardson a lot of credit for gilbert struggling. i keep hearing about how well him and wilkerson are playing

Seven
10-16-2013, 01:58 AM

I think Adams is a much more fluid run blocker than Gilbert. But his pass protection was almost as awful last year on the right as it has been this year on the left. You and I have had it out over this before so I won't go into too much detail other than saying I completely disagree that Adams is even near Gilbert when it comes to pass blocking --- let alone superior.

zulater
10-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Just finished watching the game on NFL rewind, and after paying particular attention to Beachum's play I've got to say that he did ok. He never gives up on a play, so even if it looks as if he's going to be beat he keeps scrapping and usually ends up knocking his guy enough off the path that he doesn't make the play. To me it comes down to this, can Beachum be the new Max Starks? We can't expect a Jonathan Ogden, or Orlando Pace, but if we can get a Max Starks circa 2010-12 we'll be in good shape at left tackle for the immediate future. I don't want to put too much in one game, but I'm pretty optimistic that we've got our left tackle for the next half dozen years or so. :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Just finished watching the game on NFL rewind, and after paying particular attention to Beachum's play I've got to say that he did ok. He never gives up on a play, so even if it looks as if he's going to be beat he keeps scrapping and usually ends up knocking his guy enough off the path that he doesn't make the play. To me it comes down to this, can Beachum be the new Max Starks? We can't expect a Jonathan Ogden, or Orlando Pace, but if we can get a Max Starks circa 2010-12 we'll be in good shape at left tackle for the immediate future. I don't want to put too much in one game, but I'm pretty optimistic that we've got our left tackle for the next half dozen years or so. :thumbsup:

imo you can put a lot into this one game because blocking muhammad wilkerson for your 1st start at left tackle is a hell of an assignment.

then again, max starks shutdown jared allen and elvis dumervil in 2009 and proceeded to get raped by no-name players in several other games that year

steeldawg
10-16-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't know he looked like he was getting beat up to me but we will see what he does in the next few games.

zulater
10-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I don't know he looked like he was getting beat up to me but we will see what he does in the next few games.

Maybe you got fooled on the sack Heath gave up or when Wilkerson stunted inside and beat Foster? Or you just weren't watching the right player? But Beachum was more than ok.

HollywoodSteel
10-16-2013, 10:30 PM
imo you can put a lot into this one game because blocking muhammad wilkerson for your 1st start at left tackle is a hell of an assignment.

then again, max starks shutdown jared allen and elvis dumervil in 2009 and proceeded to get raped by no-name players in several other games that year

Yeah, that's what's always been such a head scratcher with Big Max. He has also been one of the few LT to completely own Suggs in a couple of games.

HollywoodSteel
10-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Yes, Pouncey had been the only guy on the line IMO that played with a ferocious tenacity and aggression. When he went down, it just seemed to me like the line lost some attitude. Beachum seems to have that nasty streak. It's hard to describe in words, but I know it when I see it.

Wilkerson is no slouch either, so the fact that Beachum did not continuously get whipped is a good sign.

You're exactly right. Check out Beachum at around the 2:20 mark. That's the nasty attitude I like to hear from a player! He might not be the most talented guy in the world but he isn't going to be intimidated by anyone. That's the guy you want lined up against Suggs rather than a puss like Adams.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Around-the-Locker-Room---Steelers-vs-Jets/55d521f5-afd1-48bf-9341-a56ffb671f57

zulater
10-17-2013, 04:53 AM
Roethlisberger was pressured on only nine of 35 dropbacks against the Jets — enough time to allow him to complete 23 of 30 passes for 264 yards.
“We didn't turn the ball over. We didn't have a lot of bad sacks. It definitely helped guys simmer down,” Foster said.
He partly credits new left tackle Beachum for that, saying, “He finished plays. He dogged guys out like he should. I was excited to play beside him.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4890169-74/offensive-steelers-season#ixzz2hyITtTAl

That's what I saw too.

zulater
10-17-2013, 11:14 PM
On the Steelers: Beachum fills left tackle slot -- for now

The Steelers stop-gap measure to find an offensive left tackle landed on Kelvin Beachum, their final draft pick of 2012 who has been a jack-of-all trades for them.
But what if Beachum becomes not just their temporary, emergency left tackle but their future left tackle?
What if, after sinking two second-round picks into the position, the Steelers' current and future left tackle is someone they drafted to be a guard with their third pick in the seventh round last year?
Why not Kelvin Beachum?
Scouts will tell you why. At 6 feet 3, he is not tall enough. At barely 300 pounds, he is not heavy enough. Tunch Ilkin says enough is enough.
Ilkin was a guard/center who ultimately became an undersized starting tackle at 6-3, 265 pounds in the 1980s and early 1990s. He went against 300-pounders and up, people such as Hall of Famer Reggie White. He compensated for his size by using his hands, his feet, his strength and his intelligence.
He worked with Beachum in the spring on how to use his hands and believes he has better qualities than mere size to make it as the Steelers' starting left tackle.
"His hands are good enough, his feet are good enough, and he's athletic," Ilkin said. "I've always thought size was overrated."
It certainly was for the 6-7, 323-pound Adams, who appeared top-heavy while trying to block pass-rushers through the first four games. Adams could resurface at tackle, but, right now, the Steelers like Beachum as a better alternative.
And yet he was either their third or fourth choice to play the position. Marcus Gilbert was there through the spring and into the start of training camp before they switched him to right tackle and put Adams on the left side. Then, they traded for Levi Brown, who promptly ripped up his triceps for the second time in the past two years and was placed on injured reserve before he played a down.
For now, Beachum is it. He already has played center and tight end this season, but he'd like to stay at left tackle, where he started 52 games at SMU."It's something I've loved doing for a long time," Beachum said. "If they said, 'Beachum, come and pick the position you want to play,' it would be left tackle."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-beachum-fills-left-tackle-slot-for-now-708045/#ixzz2i2kY6XHF

- - - Updated - - -

Beachum fared OK in his first game, receiving the highest grade of any of the Steelers' linemen for his blocking against the New York Jets, despite attracting several penalties.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-beachum-fills-left-tackle-slot-for-now-708045/#ixzz2i2li6dyq