PDA

View Full Version : Guess we got rid of the fair weather fans.

zulater
10-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Not much traffic here today. Guess 1-4 isn't good enough for some of our fans? The ironic part about it most of these sanctimonious (fill in the blank) are blaming me and other objective Steelers fans for their absence .

Wah!.You aren't being fair they claimed after 0-1, 0-2, 0-3 , when all we were doing was giving an honest off the cuff opinion on the shit being ladled on to our plates. Hell maybe it was even knee jerk. Fans will do that. But we never stopped caring. We were just hurting and saying so. But what we never did, what we wont do even if we end up 1-15 is abandon ship. It's our team, good, bad or indifferent we wear our colors with pride. Just because we're pissed that things suck isn't an indictment on our loyalty.

Anyway I don't know where things are headed? Just taking it game by game. But I'll tell you this I'm here for the duration. Never left, not leaving until I die, and a little stormy weather and the people who aren't afraid to point it out wont drive me off.

Psycho Ward 86
10-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Not much traffic here today. Guess 1-4 isn't good enough for some of our fans?

lol. can you blame them

steelreserve
10-13-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't know. The game wasn't on here, and they had been so dreadful to watch lately that instead of going to a sports bar at 10am to watch it, I took the kids to the lake. This gives me a little hope - I mean, given the division we're in, we could still theoretically win it - but given the opponent and the grinding nature of it, it is pretty cautious optimism. But I hear what you are saying, this year may be a downer, but it's not like I'm going to give up and go focus on how great Andrew Luck is or something.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
I hear you Zu, and if anything I post more when things aren't going well, probably because there is more to analyze and try to figure out.

But I try not to critique other fans for the way they go about their fandom. I don't like it much when fans are criticized for being "spoiled" or sarcastically presented with a "sky is falling" picture when they are just presenting their opinions about why things aren't going well. I think you are going to get a lot of that type of fan-bashing this week - you know what I mean, the perfect fans who never doubted for a second and who now can't wait to pounce on the negative nellies who dared to critique and analyze. But that's cool. I think some people need to pounce on other fans to feel superior about the way choose to approach fandom.

Personally, I come to this board to present opinions, but mostly to learn from the generally insightful perspective of others. I think the "we're awesome no matter what" crowd are no more interesting than the "we suck, but I'm not going to add anything more to the discussion" crowd. But whatever. People get different things out a message board I guess.

I suppose my point is that I'm not too hard on the "fair weather" fan either. The bottom line is that the Steelers are a source of entertainment and I can see why people might stay away when they are not getting much pleasure from watching. If your favorite show starts to suck do you blame the fans when the ratings go down or do you blame the guys making the show?

Just my take on it. I get why others feel differently.

Hindes204
10-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Not much traffic here today. Guess 1-4 isn't good enough for some of our fans? The ironic part about it most of these sanctimonious (fill in the blank) are blaming me and other objective Steelers fans for their absence .

Wah!.You aren't being fair they claimed after 0-1, 0-2, 0-3 , when all we were doing was giving an honest off the cuff opinion on the shit being ladled on to our plates. Hell maybe it was even knee jerk. Fans will do that. But we never stopped caring. We were just hurting and saying so. But what we never did, what we wont do even if we end up 1-15 is abandon ship. It's our team, good, bad or indifferent we wear our colors with pride. Just because we're pissed that things suck isn't an indictment on our loyalty.

Anyway I don't know where things are headed? Just taking it game by game. But I'll tell you this I'm here for the duration. Never left, not leaving until I die, and a little stormy weather and the people who aren't afraid to point it out wont drive me off.

Lol, that sounds like me talking about the pirates for the past two decades

zulater
10-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I hear you Zu, and if anything I post more when things aren't going well, probably because there is more to analyze and try to figure out.

But I try not to critique other fans for the way they go about their fandom. I don't like it much when fans are criticized for being "spoiled" or sarcastically presented with a "sky is falling" picture when they are just presenting their opinions about why things aren't going well. I think you are going to get a lot of that type of fan-bashing this week - you know what I mean, the perfect fans who never doubted for a second and who now can't wait to pounce on the negative nellies who dared to critique and analyze. But that's cool. I think some people need to pounce on other fans to feel superior about the way choose to approach fandom.

Personally, I come to this board to present opinions, but mostly to learn from the generally insightful perspective of others. I think the "we're awesome no matter what" crowd are no more interesting than the "we suck, but I'm not going to add anything more to the discussion" crowd. But whatever. People get different things out a message board I guess.

I suppose my point is that I'm not too hard on the "fair weather" fan either. The bottom line is that the Steelers are a source of entertainment and I can see why people might stay away when they are not getting much pleasure from watching. If your favorite show starts to suck do you blame the fans when the ratings go down or do you blame the guys making the show?

Just my take on it. I get why others feel differently.

Goodpost!:applaudit:

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Goodpost!:applaudit:

Thanks, Zu. Always means a lot coming from an excellent poster like you. :drink:

dislocatedday
10-13-2013, 06:16 PM
I don't think the lack of posting here lately means that many forum members here are fair-weather fans. I can only speak for myself, but I took a break from here the last couple weeks because I was starting to just say the same things over and over and my posts were becoming redundant (terrible O-line play, inability to get turnovers, poor coaching, etc.). Perhaps many others felt the same way as I did, and just felt like they were beating a dead horse. I'm still watching all the games, read Steelers news on the web daily, and talk about Steelers football with my friends and co-workers. The team's been messy this season, but there was some improvement shown today......particularly the O-line from the second quarter through the end of the game. while they were not stellar, they definitely improved. I noticed Ben had a fairly clean pocket in much of the second half, which was nice for a change.

Randy06
10-13-2013, 06:18 PM
I have never been a fair weather fan, but I found myself just not liking what I saw. So I stayed away, because I knew my posts would not reflect who I am, they would reflect anger and frustration. But Im here for the long haul, Steelernation till I die.

Count Steeler
10-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Let's see what happens after we beat Baltimore.

salamander
10-13-2013, 07:18 PM
I didn't have access to a computer during the game and my phone wasn't cooperating. You know darn well I'm always around.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 07:49 PM
It is nice to know that you guys are still here and that people pretty much have similar reasons for the lack of posting. As I suspected, it's not because you don't care. If anything, everyone cares too much and people react differently to those emotions.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2013, 07:58 PM
I made it through the 80's so I'll definitely make it through this. :D Coming here and talking to my fellow Steeler fans always helps me feel better even if it's just letting off steam about how bad the team is playing.

Devilsdancefloor
10-13-2013, 08:20 PM
today was sectional championship game in soccer for my son i was listening to the game and at half time my son runs across the field and yells into the crown are we winning :lol: everyone just turned to me as i was giving him thumbs up. classic moment between thee both of us sad not they lost the game but he was in good mood since the stillers won. I am going no where i lived through http://i44.tinypic.com/1zyk45d.jpg i can live through about anything with this team

salamander
10-13-2013, 08:21 PM
I can honestly say that I truly enjoy coming on here and discussing all sorts of stuff with you guys, whether the Steelers win or lose. :drink:

katmandu
10-13-2013, 08:33 PM
It is nice to know that you guys are still here and that people pretty much have similar reasons for the lack of posting. As I suspected, it's not because you don't care. If anything, everyone cares too much and people react differently to those emotions.I wanted to post during the game but my DirecTV program on it was finally WORKING right !! LOL ! Couldn't watch the game and be here at the same time. Perhaps I need a 2nd PC next to me during games now! LOL!

BigNastyDefense
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
I would have been here earlier if I was home. Was at a wedding basically all day yesterday. So today was my running around day, also got my new phone while I was at it.

I'm glad the team won. 1-4 isn't good. But it beats the shit out of 0-5.

zulater
10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
This wasn't directed at people who have continued to post throughout the slump.

SCSTILLER
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/1zyk45d.jpg i can live through about anything with this team

Ahhhh, the good ole days! :wink02:

vader29
10-13-2013, 09:36 PM
:chuckle:

http://i41.tinypic.com/14x332q.jpg

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 09:52 PM
I wanted to post during the game but my DirecTV program on it was finally WORKING right !! LOL ! Couldn't watch the game and be here at the same time. Perhaps I need a 2nd PC next to me during games now! LOL!

You just need an iPad. That's what I use during the games... Which is why I have so many typos.

Texasteel
10-13-2013, 10:12 PM
It is nice to know that you guys are still here and that people pretty much have similar reasons for the lack of posting. As I suspected, it's not because you don't care. If anything, everyone cares too much and people react differently to those emotions.

The serious fans are still here, and always will be. We don't always agree on thing, thank God, but that doesn't mean one loves this team more than the other. It just means we're different, and see things differently. Hell I've gotten cross ways with several posters I respect very much. We are still Steelers Nation, and fans of the best organization in the nfl. Fair weather fan, like the trolls , will come and go, but I can always count on my Steelers brothers and sisters to be here for me.

Dwinsgames
10-13-2013, 10:37 PM
today was sectional championship game in soccer for my son i was listening to the game and at half time my son runs across the field and yells into the crown are we winning :lol: everyone just turned to me as i was giving him thumbs up. classic moment between thee both of us sad not they lost the game but he was in good mood since the stillers won. I am going no where i lived through http://i44.tinypic.com/1zyk45d.jpg i can live through about anything with this team
well ....... he was partly responsible for the 49ers 15-1 season ( we handed them their only loss that year ) Malone was the Starter

fansince'76
10-13-2013, 11:16 PM
well ....... he was partly responsible for the 49ers 15-1 season ( we handed them their only loss that year ) Malone was the Starter

That season was one of Noll's better coaching jobs. Getting to within a game of the Super Bowl with that schlub under center was practically miracle work. About the only thing he ever did with any "proficiency" was throw picks.

Craic
10-14-2013, 02:01 AM

Wah!.You aren't being fair they claimed after 0-1, 0-2, 0-3 , when all we were doing was giving an honest off the cuff opinion on the shit being ladled on to our plates. Hell maybe it was even knee jerk. Fans will do that.

Zu, either it's objective, or it's opinion. It can't be both, and that's at the heart of what I kvetch about over and over. "This team sucks!" "The coach sucks!" isn't objective critique. it's opinion and yes, for some, knee-jerk. It's why we see the same threads pop up every year after a couple losses, and why we'll continue to see them pop up. It's not about being "fair" it's about having tunnel vision and seeing the entire history and future of the Steelers through the goggles of the last four game. THAT is what, at least I myself, harp on.

But we never stopped caring. We were just hurting and saying so. But what we never did, what we wont do even if we end up 1-15 is abandon ship. It's our team, good, bad or indifferent we wear our colors with pride. Just because we're pissed that things suck isn't an indictment on our loyalty.
I for one never said it was, and didn't read but one or two posters that maybe suggested it.

If all that was happening was "pointing it out," it'd be a completely different story. Throwing everyone under the bus, suggesting that it would be better to trade Ben so at least HE could have a better end of career elsewhere, etc., is not "pointing it out."

But outside of that, you're exactly right, game by game is the only way to go, especially since we have nothing to do with it. (I always laugh at myself when I'm talking to a buddy and say, "Yeah, we won/lost yesterday" as if I suited up and played the game).

All in all, I continue to stick with my original belief that this team would go 3-5 or 4-4 in the first half, 7-1 or 8-0 in the second half, and make the playoffs. I think we'll get booted first round, because we're not ready to take that next step yet, but that's been my take on this years team since day one. I'd say I'm hope I'm wrong, but after losing four games . . . I really hope I'm not, since being wrong can ONLY mean we lose more games now :nervous:

The serious fans are still here, and always will be. We don't always agree on thing, thank God, but that doesn't mean one loves this team more than the other. It just means we're different, and see things differently. Hell I've gotten cross ways with several posters I respect very much. We are still Steelers Nation, and fans of the best organization in the nfl. Fair weather fan, like the trolls , will come and go, but I can always count on my Steelers brothers and sisters to be here for me.

QFT

X-Terminator
10-14-2013, 07:47 AM
All I'll simply say is that this place got a lot more traffic when times were good than it does now. I'm sure that's not exclusive to this forum either. You can make of that what you will.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2013, 07:51 AM
You just need an iPad. That's what I use during the games... Which is why I have so many typos.

He doesn't even need that. This forum works very well on a phone using Tapatalk.

BND65
10-14-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't think the lack of posting here lately means that many forum members here are fair-weather fans. I can only speak for myself, but I took a break from here the last couple weeks because I was starting to just say the same things over and over and my posts were becoming redundant (terrible O-line play, inability to get turnovers, poor coaching, etc.). Perhaps many others felt the same way as I did, and just felt like they were beating a dead horse. I'm still watching all the games, read Steelers news on the web daily, and talk about Steelers football with my friends and co-workers. The team's been messy this season, but there was some improvement shown today......particularly the O-line from the second quarter through the end of the game. while they were not stellar, they definitely improved. I noticed Ben had a fairly clean pocket in much of the second half, which was nice for a change.
I'm the same as this post. I don't post that much at all, but come on here to see the latest news and other opinions(or ask an occasional question). I bleed BLACK & GOLD forever.

katmandu
10-14-2013, 08:21 AM
You just need an iPad. That's what I use during the games... Which is why I have so many typos.I gotta do something ! LOL!

I'm now trying to figure out HOW to watch next weeks game against Baltimore. I have to work that day (2nd Shift), not sure if my work PC supports streaming (with my DirecTV program). I doubt it will. We have Verizon signal throughout our Med Center, but I have ATT. Was going to do the remote Wi-Fi thing. Hopefully, I can find a co-worker with Verizon to too me a Wi-Fi signal and I'll bring in my laptop !!!

NJarhead
10-14-2013, 08:30 AM
lol. can you blame them

Yea you can. I'll never stop watching, loving or talking about my Steelers. Never. I take the bad with the good, as many fans do.

BnG_Hevn
10-14-2013, 11:47 AM
I find it interesting that you gauge a fan's dedication to their team by posting on a message board. That's actually amusing.

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
I find it interesting that you gauge a fan's dedication to their team by posting on a message board. That's actually amusing.

:hail:

Texasteel
10-14-2013, 04:42 PM
QFT

Not sure what QFT means.

stillers4me
10-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Not sure what QFT means.

Quoted for Truth

GoSlash27
10-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Not gonna miss the bandwagoneers, but you seriously think that the reason they left was because of the "Chicken Little" brigade? :huh:
No Sir. They left because the team isn't doing well. Period, full stop.

Nadroj 20
10-14-2013, 05:06 PM
I haven't been around as much because of my new job demands, but still pop in from time to time. I don't think it should matter how often someone comes to the boards though.

stillers4me
10-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I haven't been around as much because of my new job demands, but still pop in from time to time. I don't think it should matter how often someone comes to the boards though.

yep

Texasteel
10-14-2013, 05:18 PM

I think what most of us are talking about are the posters that always have something to say about everything, always looking to bust someones chops for any reason at all. Of course there are exceptions, but I know we all have seen someone that post several times a day and seems to just disappear when the teams start to look bad, or good sometimes.

Craic
10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Not sure what QFT means.

Edit: Stillers got it before me.

Personally, I think the Steelers purposefully lost the first four games just to help out all of us on the message board that were tired of bandwagon fans. :chuckle:

zulater
10-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I guess part of what went into this is that I missed yesterday's game due to work. Oh I kept up with it the best I could popping in and out on Sirius. But obviously that's not the same. But anyway I finally get home about an hour after the gamer is final and no one's even posted a game ball thread yet?! Last season an hour or so after a game win or lose there'd be 3 pages worth of reply's on such a thread that long after the game. It was then it occurred to me that traffic is really down on this board.

Nadroj 20
10-14-2013, 06:32 PM
I think what most of us are talking about are the posters that always have something to say about everything, always looking to bust someones chops for any reason at all. Of course there are exceptions, but I know we all have seen someone that post several times a day and seems to just disappear when the teams start to look bad, or good sometimes.

Yeah true, I know what your saying.

philsteel
10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
http://oi39.tinypic.com/2aew860.jpg

GoSlash27
10-14-2013, 06:52 PM
I guess part of what went into this is that I missed yesterday's game due to work. Oh I kept up with it the best I could popping in and out on Sirius. But obviously that's not the same. But anyway I finally get home about an hour after the gamer is final and no one's even posted a game ball thread yet?! Last season an hour or so after a game win or lose there'd be 3 pages worth of reply's on such a thread that long after the game. It was then it occurred to me that traffic is really down on this board.

I'm thinkin' you forgot to carry the 2. You posted that thread yesterday at 3:40 after kickoff. I'm thinkin' you could've caught the tail- end.

ALLD
10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
First game they have won since late last year. Sometimes you need to stop trying to be one of the guys (Tomlin), and be the coach. Sometimes things on paper are not what they seem (Ben is best at audible).

LLT
10-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Let's see what happens after we beat Baltimore.

LOL!!!! That would be an early Christmas present for me.

zulater
10-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm thinkin' you forgot to carry the 2. You posted that thread yesterday at 3:40 after kickoff. I'm thinkin' you could've caught the tail- end.

I posted it at 4.40 EST. 40 minutes after the completion of the game. Find the last time it took 40 minutes for a game ball thread to be posted after a win.

tihmtahm
10-14-2013, 07:45 PM
I used to post here all the time... I don't anymore because I really seldom get any replies to what I say... Which is cool... Not everybody has to be my friend or whatever... but if nobody responds why bother... but I still look to see what everybody is saying.

zulater
10-14-2013, 08:04 PM
I used to post here all the time... I don't anymore because I really seldom get any replies to what I say... Which is cool... Not everybody has to be my friend or whatever... but if nobody responds why bother... but I still look to see what everybody is saying.

Probably because you never say anything disagreeable Tim. :lol:

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Just start a thread saying that Jarvis Jones is playing great. You'll get a reply. :behindsofa:

tihmtahm
10-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Probably because you never say anything disagreeable Tim. :lol:

Just start a thread saying that Jarvis Jones is playing great. You'll get a reply. :behindsofa:

lol... I am surprised that Jones isn't playing better... I think he'll come around.

Craic
10-14-2013, 09:28 PM

Very possibly, there's a subconscious reaction to your name, Ti[h]m as in, this guy (https://www.google.com/search?q=tim+lumber&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6KdcUr_jA-SDjAL33oGgBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1745&bih=902&dpr=1) :chuckle:

Just keep posting, we'll figure it out sooner or later that you're not him!

tihmtahm
10-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Very possibly, there's a subconscious reaction to your name, Ti[h]m as in, this guy (https://www.google.com/search?q=tim+lumber&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6KdcUr_jA-SDjAL33oGgBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1745&bih=902&dpr=1) :chuckle:

Just keep posting, we'll figure it out sooner or later that you're not him!

I remember all of us tearing that guy a new one. He was as dumb as a doorknob!

My name is actually Tom, but when I was in high school, we had 4 Toms in our group... Since I have a glass eye, my friends started calling me Tom with one eye to distinguish me from the others. I told them that Tom with one "I" spells Tim... so they started calling me Tim Tom... We had a friend that was Jewish and from Buffalo who had a hell of an accent, so tihmtahm reflects how our friend said the name. Whew...

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2013, 10:42 PM

Anyone who has "engorged member" under his name deserves a reply to all comments no matter what.

Craic
10-15-2013, 12:13 AM
I remember all of us tearing that guy a new one. He was as dumb as a doorknob!

My name is actually Tom, but when I was in high school, we had 4 Toms in our group... Since I have a glass eye, my friends started calling me Tom with one eye to distinguish me from the others. I told them that Tom with one "I" spells Tim... so they started calling me Tim Tom... We had a friend that was Jewish and from Buffalo who had a hell of an accent, so tihmtahm reflects how our friend said the name. Whew...

That's quite the anecdote. Thanks for sharing. BTW, have you ever Pahked your cah in the hahvahd yahd? :wink02:

tihmtahm
10-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Anyone who has "engorged member" under his name deserves a reply to all comments no matter what.

My wife shakes her head.

- - - Updated - - -

That's quite the anecdote. Thanks for sharing. BTW, have you ever Pahked your cah in the hahvahd yahd? :wink02:

Yeah... that's about right. It's quite an accent for a southern Cali guy. lol

Moose
10-15-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm on/off the board, whether the team is winning or losing. I enjoy, as other's, reading what the other's are posting and their theories of why it's happening. I enjoy 'venting' here with everyone else. When the team wasn't functioning well during pre-season and the first 4 wks. it was getting repetitive reading the same stuff every week and frankly boring. So, while the weather was in the 70's here in Indiana, I decided to get the bike out and do some motorcycling and enjoy the sun. :) GO STEELERS

Iron Steeler
10-16-2013, 10:15 PM
10-6 I predict! Gonna be a sloppy 10-6 but it will work. And when we make the playoffs anything can happen

Lambert_Loonie
10-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I took a break because every post I was reading was calling for somebody's head. It just got too negative around here so I found better things to do with my time. I'm loyal to the Steelers, not an internet message board.

cold-hard-steel
10-20-2013, 04:38 PM
i'm too old to be a fair weather fan . once you love something it never stops .

TomlinSteelTribe
10-24-2013, 04:03 PM
This is an interesting thread. I could be accused of this "fair weather fan" claim, since I haven't posted here since the preseason. Was I watching the games? You bet. But like Hollywood pointed out above, it was too heartbreaking for me to partake in any of the "extracurriculars" with how bad they looked early. The last thing I wanted to do was come to a board and spout a bunch of negativity. Did my love of the Steelers wane during this time? No, I just wasn't going to spend the extra time reading/writing how the sky was falling.

I'm not trying to throw barbs here, but Zu made a post before the opening game about how if we lost to Tennessee, we were a bad team that didn't have a chance. I disputed this, b/c deep down I think we all know this is a week-to-week league. It is that "Any Given Sunday" factor that makes football so popular and exciting.

Another thing, haha, and I guess I'm trying to defend my "fan card" here is that I was willing to put money on the Steelers vs the Jets, no spread. Every neutral fan and Jets fan I know wanted a piece of that action. I had faith that our 0-4 to their 3-2 meant little, and that LeBeau vs a rookie qb easily trumped records/how the two teams looked through wk 5.

Still not on the playoff-bound train, but at least things are looking up. It's nice to see a running attack that's trending up.