PDA

View Full Version : Game ball(s)

zulater
10-13-2013, 03:40 PM
I haven't seen the game yet, so you guys will have to start it off.(working) But just looking at the box score I gotta imagine Suisham is deserving of one. But I defer to you guys until I get to watch it on NFL rewind.

X-Terminator
10-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Ben definitely deserves one. He played great today.

zulater
10-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Ben definitely deserves one. He played great today.

That's great to hear! If he can play turnover free ball against the Ravens we got a great chance to win that game.

stillers4me
10-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Ben and the defense! Heath made some great plays, too. Ryan Clark stepped up....Troy showed Goodhell how to play nasty and legal.

Heck, in honor of getting the monkey off our back....a game ball to everyone!

zulater
10-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Ben and the defense! Heath made some great plays, too.

Heck, in honor of getting the monkey off our back....a game ball to everyone!

Even Todd Haley?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4594924724224218&pid=15.1 :chuckle:

stillers4me
10-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Even Todd Haley?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4594924724224218&pid=15.1 :chuckle:

Even him.......except for that second trick play....which would have been awesome if it had actually worked the second time around. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

steeldawg
10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Well I give it to ben, I think I have to give one to clark for our first turnover. Honestly we didn't play that well, It looked like more of the same but fortunately for us we were playing the jets. Im happy about our first win but if we play that game against the ravens next week we will lose.

stillers4me
10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Did anybody else do a double take when Willie Colon got called for a penalty? :lol:

GoSlash27
10-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Antonio Brown and Lawrence Timmons.

- - - Updated - - -

and FWIW I agree with Steeldawg. We were not impressive looking.

vader29
10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Ben and Heath on offense and the entire defense.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Well I give it to ben, I think I have to give one to clark for our first turnover. Honestly we didn't play that well, It looked like more of the same but fortunately for us we were playing the jets. Im happy about our first win but if we play that game against the ravens next week we will lose.

Agreed

Psycho Ward 86
10-13-2013, 04:28 PM

bench ben! :lol:

zulater
10-13-2013, 05:12 PM

We won on the road against a team with a really good defense and a winning record. More than anything what today proved is that more games are lost than won. By not beating ourselves we finally got a win. I'm not judging on style points.

steelerdiva
10-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Ben and the entire defense.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Ben without a doubt. He was everything we ask of him today. Smart, efficient, accurate. He was poised behind a line that must be damn scary to be behind.

AB was also fantastic today as he has been all year. The stats don't tell the story with him. You have to watch him play and see how hard he fights. The only knock on him today was he should have caught a TD pass, but in his defense it really was PI as the defender pushed off his facemask.

Heath was also... well Heath. Not much to say that everyone doesn't already know. There was one play where he broke his route before the sticks where he probably should have got the first down, but that's nitpicking. He was great.

The D bent here and there but in the end they were clutch and made the plays they needed to make. Timmons was especially good. His pick was aided by pressure from Jarvis Jones which was nice to see. The fact that they gave up as few points as they did says a lot seeing as the a Jets had consistently good field position in the first half.

tube517
10-13-2013, 05:39 PM
The tempo of the game changed when Worilds got a sack at a key time and then Woodley got one too. I think both of those stops on defense gave them confidence. This is not a dominating defense at all but it was good to see Clark and Timmons get INTs.

Ben got his weekly share of sacks and hits but when he had time to throw, he made the most of it.

Game ball to Ben and the Steelers D.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 05:45 PM
The tempo of the game changed when Worilds got a sack at a key time and then Woodley got one too. I think both of those stops on defense gave them confidence. This is not a dominating defense at all but it was good to see Clark and Timmons get INTs.

Ben got his weekly share of sacks and hits but when he had time to throw, he made the most of it.

Game ball to Ben and the Steelers D.

Woodley's sack was especially nice to see because it was a play where Woodley kept fighting and seemed to have a great motor. I know that not having a great motor and half-assing it is a common complaint about Woodley. Maybe Jarvis Jones is having a positive effect on him.

st33lersguy
10-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Big Ben, The defense, and Suisham

steelerdude15
10-13-2013, 06:20 PM
My game balls go to Ben for having a great day, the defensive line for putting pressure on Geno Smith a lot of the game and also getting a sack, Ryan Clark for creating our first turnover of the season, and Shaun for being a great kicker once again.

Count Steeler
10-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm happy to see the line up changes had a positive impact on some glaring weaknesses. Heyward seemed to be a constant menace, Hood even played well for the injured Keisel. Beachum was OK, 1 bogus holding call, but for his first full game at LT, I'm not too concerned. He will only improve.

Thank God the starting O Line survived the game, because our only backup was Whimper. I don't think Adams should have been kept out of the lineup. He should be competing with Gilbert for RT. Will be interesting to see if Brown is gone for the season with his tricep injury.

Game ball to Ben. He showed the most improvement. No turnovers. Something to build on.

oneforthetoe
10-13-2013, 06:28 PM
D stepped up, b8ut ui have to go with Ben

dislocatedday
10-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Ben was a stud today. He gets my game ball with an honorable mention to Sushi who was clutch in hitting FGs from fairly long distances.

While not spectacular, Beachum's play at LT seemed better to me than Adam's play thus far this season, so I'll give him some props too.

steeldawg
10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
We won on the road against a team with a really good defense and a winning record. More than anything what today proved is that more games are lost than won. By not beating ourselves we finally got a win. I'm not judging on style points.

Not saying we had to do it stylish just saying we still had the same problems but the jets couldn't capitalize on them. We couldn't score in the redzone and had it not been for a blown coverage I don't know if we would of scored a td. Not discounting the win im just saying it didn't look like we turned a corner.

Shoes
10-13-2013, 07:13 PM
I've got to go with Suisham. His 4 FG kept the teams motor running. Of course Ben & Heath always give their best. The D played against a very green QB today.

zulater
10-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Not saying we had to do it stylish just saying we still had the same problems but the jets couldn't capitalize on them. We couldn't score in the redzone and had it not been for a blown coverage I don't know if we would of scored a td. Not discounting the win im just saying it didn't look like we turned a corner.

We could just as easily say we would have scored two TD's if AB doesn't drop one in the end zone.

Psycho Ward 86
10-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Big Ben. Not going to give a ball to the defense if they keep giving up turnover opportunities like that.

ryan clark had an easy read interception. that was an interception any safety should make. timmons had an easy read interception. that was an interception any safety should make. As for the floating duck that clark was waiting for to catch for all eternity, that was just embarassing. gay had a chance at a pick as well but it went through his hands. But that was more towards his back shoulder and at least had some level of difficulty.

steeldawg
10-13-2013, 07:27 PM
We could just as easily say we would have scored two TD's if AB doesn't drop one in the end zone.

Yes but eventually we are going to have to beat people, we cant just hope to play a rookie qb with no receivers every week and their defense to blow a coverage. If we played that way against Baltimore we lose. I m happy we won but after watching the game I have no confidence we can rattle off a bunch of wins in a row.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 07:28 PM

If the pass interference was called on that play we would have had it on the 1, but we couldn't punch it in from the 1 later in the game so who knows? Then again, at that point in the game a TD wasn't as crucial so maybe that's why we called the silly AB pass play.

It seems like we do better outside of the red zone where our receivers have more room to move. I didn't really expect us to be able to punch it in running the ball. The jets D line won't be moved by our O-line. Although wasn't DeCastro supposed to be one of the best guards ever? What the hell happened there?

Well, that turned into an off topic stream of consciousness...

zulater
10-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes but eventually we are going to have to beat people, we cant just hope to play a rookie qb with no receivers every week and their defense to blow a coverage. If we played that way against Baltimore we lose. I m happy we won but after watching the game I have no confidence we can rattle off a bunch of wins in a row.

I take it you haven't been following the Ravens too closely this year then?

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2013, 07:40 PM

You're not wrong about any of that, but I'm going to try an look it a little more favorably. The jets looked pretty damn good against a very talented Atlanta team last week, in Atlanta where the Falcons almost never lose. Yes, we can pick apart the problems with the Falcons but that's a team that some were predicting to go to the Super Bowl.

Not saying the Jets are great but they are better than the Titans or Vikings, so at least it's the start of winning the games we are supposed to win. And winning on the road in the NFL is never easy. The biggest turn of a corner was that we saw that it's possible for this team to create turnovers. I know it should seem obvious that it would happen eventually but it did seem like a big mental hurdle.

Also, as hard as I am on Tomlin, I'm relieved that he got this victory to help with the team's confidence in him. I really didn't want to see him lose the locker room. In that sense this victory was huge.

86WARD
10-13-2013, 08:09 PM
$uisham and Ben. I'll give one to Timmons for sealing the game with an INT.

Psycho Ward 86
10-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I take it you haven't been following the Ravens too closely this year then?

have you seen a steelers/ravens game in the past 5 years? its true. irregardless, this game will probably be a brutal one if we were 0-5 or 5-0

zulater
10-13-2013, 11:58 PM
have you seen a steelers/ravens game in the past 5 years? its true. irregardless, this game will probably be a brutal one if we were 0-5 or 5-0

Of course I have. That's why I know the Steelers have a good chance to win the game if they can win the turnover battle.

zulater
10-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Brown was a big part of the Steelers' offense. He caught 9 of 11 passes thrown his way, and he completed a 15-yard lateral pass to running back Felix Jones to set up a Shaun Suisham field goal for a 6-3 lead in the second quarter.

He tried to throw another pass early in the fourth, but the Jets weren't fooled, and the Steelers settled for a field goal to take a 19-6 lead.

More importantly, Brown was clutch on third down. But a dropped ball on a back-shoulder throw from Roethlisberger in the end zone tormented him afterward.

“I still have to find a way to elevate my game,” Brown said. “I have to find a way to come down with the ball.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4876704-74/beachum-brown-steelers#ixzz2hfanNKH9
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Edman
10-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Ben. After railroading him the past few weeks with his mediocre performances, he really played well today. Hope he keeps it up. Didn't turn the ball over once.

Antonio Brown. Say what you want about him and his First Down celebrations, the dude is a gamer.

The Defense. You finally got a turnover!

Craic
10-14-2013, 02:12 AM
I've harped on Ben the last couple of weeks, but today he played brilliantly. I can think of only one mistake he made where he took a sack instead of throwing to the underneath route because he was gambling, and honestly, that's the kind of QB Ben is, and the type I want, because that's the type of QB that led us to win SB 43. So I'll take that. He gets a gameball, and especially because he protected the ball this week.

Heath Miller: how do you give a game ball to a guy that just had an average game? The whole problem with Miller is that his "average" game is so far above average, that it makes it hard to judge him. However, he was crucial and it is GREAT to have him back.

LeVeon Bell. I like what I see in the rookie. He has a motor that doesn't seem to quit, and he pushed the pile well. Did anyone else pick up the Cowheresque way that we ended the game? When was the last time we saw that happening? He gets an HM.

Squish'em. Wasn't there a point in time when we all wanted this guy gone? He's money. Game ball.

Defense. The game ball goes to the last 10 years of Dick Lebeau teams executing and playing great defense. NY's entire gameplan was to not let their rookie get psychologically destroyed by a defense that is one of the most complicated in the league. Hats off to reputation for that.

Woodley, Timmons, etc., all seemed to have decent days. It was good to watch.