PDA

View Full Version : Steelers know uncertainty of drafting offensive linemen

stillers4me
10-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Like many NFL teams, the Steelers have gone to the top end of the draft to build their offensive line.

When they opened the 2013 regular season, four of their five starters on the offensive line were taken in the first two rounds of the draft. Center Maurkice Pouncey and right guard David DeCastro were first-round picks; tackles Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert were second-round selections.

That has been the blueprint for many NFL teams in the past six years, especially in 2013 when a record nine offensive linemen (five tackles, three guards, one center) were taken in the first round. And teams have not been reluctant to play their young linemen right away, either, despite the notion that many coaches and general managers think it is the toughest position to learn for NFL rookies...............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-know-uncertainty-of-drafting-offensive-linemen-707371/#ixzz2hbgTwM4u

BigNastyDefense
10-13-2013, 08:32 AM
You can't say the Steelers offensive line sucks for lack of trying.

Mike Adams - second round pick who had a first round grade after coming out of Ohio State.

Ramon Foster - undrafted, but has shown to have some talent.

Maurkice Pouncey - First round pick, Pro Bowler, but always hurt. When healthy, best lineman on team.

David DeCastro - First round pick, hasn't been impressive so far but has shown glimpses of what he could be. I have hope for him.

Marcus Gilbert - Second round pick, has not impressed me very much at all.

GoSlash27
10-13-2013, 10:00 AM
teams have not been reluctant to play their young linemen right away, either, despite the notion that many coaches and general managers think it is the toughest position to learn for NFL rookies...............
^ This is the part everybody seems to be forgetting. Throw in a new OL coach, and it should come as no surprise that they suck. They suck less now than they did at the beginning of the season, and they'll continue to improve, but there's no substitute for experience working together and that's going to take time.