PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Back Will Allen

ALLD
10-10-2013, 01:59 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/10/steelers-bring-back-veteran-safety-will-allen/

Count Steeler
10-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Our worries are over.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Superbowl.

seriously though, i like the move, not that it will change our fortunes. i really wanted him on our original 53

Shoes
10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
All we need now is the Sanford & Son theme.

Devilsdancefloor
10-10-2013, 06:21 PM
poke fun at him, but i thought he played very well last year and he is a ST demon where DC was a paper weight on the roster

KeiselPower99
10-10-2013, 06:21 PM
All we need now is the Sanford & Son theme.

Your wish is my command!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DnqW3F57E

NCSteeler
10-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Hey I think it's a great thing he has been great on ST. And might be solid in fill in duty. But no. We cut him. THAT is my problem with the whole situation. Our talent department needs a make over , this is the year to clean some house up top. Our drafts and cuts and signings have been very suspect lately. LNG gone are the days of a quiet signing of Farrior. Or Clark.

Dwinsgames
10-10-2013, 08:15 PM
poke fun at him, but i thought he played very well last year and he is a ST demon where DC was a paper weight on the roster

this .... however in the grand scheme of things getting older is not the answer or the direction we should be focused on

Bluecoat96
10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Hey I think it's a great thing he has been great on ST. And might be solid in fill in duty. But no. We cut him. THAT is my problem with the whole situation. Our talent department needs a make over , this is the year to clean some house up top. Our drafts and cuts and signings have been very suspect lately. LNG gone are the days of a quiet signing of Farrior. Or Clark.

We never cut him. We just didn't resign him at the time. Big difference. I can't say I blame them, having just drafted a safety.

zulater
10-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Nobody recycles better than the Steelers do, or at least not as much. Maybe Obama will give us an award for being best recyclers?

Seven
10-10-2013, 10:46 PM
I think Allen is a solid player, but I don't get the move from a defensive standpoint. Thomas better not be removed from play because of this. If this is a special teams move, so be it. But I liked DaMon Cromartie-Smith.

86WARD
10-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Nobody recycles better than the Steelers do, or at least not as much. Maybe Obama will give us an award for being best recyclers?

In the NFL maybe. Not in all of sports though.

steelreserve
10-11-2013, 01:38 PM
He was great filling in when Troy or Clark were hurt last year. Only problem is we haven't needed anyone to fill in this year, and we also finally have another backup safety better than Mundy. Oh well, I hope it does something.

Psycho Ward 86
10-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I think Allen is a solid player, but I don't get the move from a defensive standpoint. Thomas better not be removed from play because of this. If this is a special teams move, so be it. But I liked DaMon Cromartie-Smith.

You must've forgotten the days of Anthony Smith, Tyrone Carter, and Ryan Mundy starting for ryan and troy when theyre injured...

NCSteeler
10-11-2013, 05:32 PM
We never cut him. We just didn't resign him at the time. Big difference. I can't say I blame them, having just drafted a safety.

I thought we were well stocked at safety wheen they didn't sign him. I still think were well stocked at safety, so i don't understand the move. If it's for STs, well hell that has been the only bright spot this season.

Psycho Ward 86
10-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I thought we were well stocked at safety wheen they didn't sign him. I still think were well stocked at safety, so i don't understand the move. If it's for STs, well hell that has been the only bright spot this season.

how do you figure were stocked at safety? weve been insanely thin for such a long time. ryan clark is turning 34 years old tomorrow and he's certainly playing like it. troy has returned to form but he's 32 years old and rarely plays 16 games in a season. We have yet to know if Sharmarko is a capable starter. He carries lots of potential and promise, but not tangible evidence of being able to handle it if someone goes down. Thats something Will Allen has.

How quickly people forget the days of Anthony Smith, Tyrone Carter, and Ryan Mundy attempting to be stopgaps in the absence of Clark/Troy...

Count Steeler
10-11-2013, 06:10 PM

It is a clear shot across the bow for Clark and Troy to get their act together. Just like it took Ike the ire of the city of Pittsburgh to get him out of his funk after the first 4 games last season, here's hoping the return of Allen wakens Clark and Troy. 60 yard rushing TDs and 70 yard passing TDs indicates a problem. Too many big plays given up by the D so far this year.

NCSteeler
10-11-2013, 06:20 PM
how do you figure were stocked at safety? weve been insanely thin for such a long time. ryan clark is turning 34 years old tomorrow and he's certainly playing like it. troy has returned to form but he's 32 years old and rarely plays 16 games in a season. We have yet to know if Sharmarko is a capable starter. He carries lots of potential and promise, but not tangible evidence of being able to handle it if someone goes down. Thats something Will Allen has.

How quickly people forget the days of Anthony Smith, Tyrone Carter, and Ryan Mundy attempting to be stopgaps in the absence of Clark/Troy...

How many safeties do you recommend a team carry. I figure Shamarko, Clark, Troy and Cromartie would be enough.

GoSlash27
10-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Bringing back all these veterans after the fact is like raising the debt ceiling without forcing spending cuts. It temporarily kicks the can down the road, but does nothing to fix the systemic problems that got you into the mess in the first place.
Yeah, it's political, but the analogy is apt.

I've got nothing against Will Allen or any of the other vets, but bringing them back isn't the answer. The answer is to get the new kids up to speed like they should have been before they started.
/my $0.02

Psycho Ward 86
10-11-2013, 06:25 PM
How many safeties do you recommend a team carry. I figure Shamarko, Clark, Troy and Cromartie would be enough.

are you assuming allen will be cut once cromartie is healthy? not sure i understand. And also, you forgot robert golden is on this roster.

Dwinsgames
10-11-2013, 06:41 PM

forgetting someone ? like Robert Golden

NCSteeler
10-11-2013, 10:27 PM
So my point is made including golden we are stocked at safety. Again how many should we have?

If the team likes to use a safety closer to the line of scrimmage, four total safeties will be kept on the team. The fourth and fifth cornerbacks better be great jammers and gunners on the punt and punt return teams. The backup safeties will be staples on all the coverage units. Most teams want to ease young safeties into action, but they can get a feel for the speed of the NFL by being warriors on special teams.

. Four?

HollywoodSteel
10-11-2013, 11:21 PM
So my point is made including golden we are stocked at safety. Again how many should we have?

. Four?

We had five and we'll have 5 again once they cut D. C-S to make room. Remember, we'll need and extra safety when we go to the playoffs since Clark can't play in Denver... playoffs. Yeah, right! :heh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM