PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones isn't happy with his play so far

Count Steeler
10-06-2013, 05:51 AM
The first round draft pick out of Georgia, Jarvis Jones, had high expectations going into his first season, and so far he doesn't see himself achieving them this season.

"The Steelers brought me in here to pressure the quarterback and create turnovers," Jones said in a comment about his rookie season. "I haven't done any of that yet. So my grade wouldn't be very high, but I'm searching for ways to get better.”

That being said, Jones has ten unassisted tackles on defense and four special team tackles. The veterans that have been cornerstones in the Steelers' defense, such as Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor, know that it takes time to fully develop into Dick LeBeau's defensive schematics and be a consistently effective player. Although it's tough to provide an honest evaluation of Jones amid all of the Steelers' problems, they see him developing nicely into the scheme and have the highest confidence that Jones will eventually be an all-star for Pittsburgh's defense.

But eventually isn't now; and right now the team needs their first win since beating the Cleveland Browns in week 17 of the 2012-2013 season. Jones knows that he has to develop into that playmaker sooner rather than later if the Steelers are going to see more plays being made in their opponents' backfields.

Steelers veteran Cameron Heyward thinks the answer to Jones' problems is more about holistic problems within the defense. Which makes sense; if offenses aren't being put in more situations where you know they have to pass, the pass rushers can't pin their ears back and focus on putting heat on the quarterback. 3rd and 7 and longer make it easier for defensive players to key on certain stunts and focus on getting to the quarterback. Although these opportunities have arisen, Heyward's point is that there aren't enough of these.

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/10/6/4806634/steelers-rookie-jarvis-jones-performance-week-4-2013-season?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ALLD
10-06-2013, 08:32 AM
He is trying to sound humble, but he is one of the few who is focused and trying to play professional ball.

SteelerFanInStl
10-06-2013, 09:14 AM
He shouldn't be happy and no one else on this team should be happy with their play either.

jb500ex
10-06-2013, 04:59 PM
He is trying to sound humble, but he is one of the few who is focused and trying to play professional ball.
Seriously looking like you can't be a pass rusher in the nfl and you see a guy who's focused. That's nice give me the guy who can actually rush the passer

Texasteel
10-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Brings me back to Troy's first year when some where labeling him a bust.

Psycho Ward 86
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Brings me back to Troy's first year when some where labeling him a bust.

Although your right thus far, as usual, we will continue formulate as many excuses as possible to make ourselves feel better. would be nice to finally have a rookie that really blows up, particularly one that was once considered the top defensive player in the draft

Count Steeler
10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Although your right thus far, as usual, we will continue formulate as many excuses as possible to make ourselves feel better. would be nice to finally have a rookie that really blows up, particularly one that was once considered the top defensive player in the draft

Someone along the lines of Kiko Alonso in Buffalo. Kid is a strong candidate for rookie of the year so far. Plays starting MLB, bet you he wouldn't have started as a Steeler.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Im more worried about our scheme rather than the guys on defense.

Texasteel
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM

On the bright side, this may be the perfect year for him to learn. Talk about a CRASH COURSE.

Steeldude
10-06-2013, 07:15 PM
It's good that he recognizes his faults. He shouldn't feel alone on not playing well. There are quite a few on the team that need to step it up this season.

HollywoodSteel
10-07-2013, 02:24 PM
It's good that he recognizes his faults. He shouldn't feel alone on not playing well. There are quite a few on the team that need to step it up this season.

Absolutely, and the kid's attitude gives me confidence that he will in fact improve greatly. I think there are a lot of very physically talented players in the NFL who never reach their potential because they don't have the right mindset. The thing I love about J. Jones and S. Thomas is that these rookies seem like they have the best attitudes possible and I'm really looking forward to seeing them reach that potential.

zulater
10-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Has a rookie ever come into this defense and made a huge impression as a LOLB? And besides Harrison isn't exactly lighting it up in Cincy either. Give this kid a full offseason to immerse himself in the weight program and study more film and he'll be a nice player next year.

Shoes
10-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Has a rookie ever come into this defense and made a huge impression as a LOLB? And besides Harrison isn't exactly lighting it up in Cincy either. Give this kid a full offseason to immerse himself in the weight program and study more film and he'll be a nice player next year.

Agreed, I like this young man.

Mojouw
10-09-2013, 08:19 AM
ummm....not to be a jerk, but wasn't one of the criticisms of J. Jones coming out of college that his pass-rush ability would not translate well or at all to the NFL? I seem to remember having that debate on this very board. If we are going to call for the heads of others on this team due to poor play or bad results...why not Jones as well? I love his attitude. I think moving on from Harrrison was the proper move - not my favorite move, but necessary. However, at this point, Worilds has demonstrated more as a pass rusher in the NFL than Jones has.

From the little I have seen, Jones looks good in space, is average or higher against the run, but he has one pass rush move -- getting inside the tackles shoulder. That's it. I hope I am wrong, but other than a few plays in preseason and one earlier this regular season, I have not seen a ton that makes him seem like a potential dominant player. I have also not seen large portions of several games this year, so I could be very wrong.

Just wanted to ask, that there were more than whispers of concern that Jones' high college productivity and success would not translate to the NFL. Anyone else worried that is what we are seeing here? I would be less concerned if Jones was a rookie and a DE conversion project, but he was a stand-up LB in college was well...

jb500ex
10-09-2013, 12:36 PM
What rookie is playing lolb? Secondly he can hit the gym all he wants doesn't mean he will gain strength needed for the nfl. He was one of the weakest players at the combine he has a really skinny frame and is slow. Yeah let's make him our 1 st end pick face it he is not going to turn into a good pick he just isn't there are 100's of guys like him every year in training camps very few of them turn it around and I don't expect him to be one of them. He has shown nothing

SteelerFanInStl
10-09-2013, 05:47 PM
What rookie is playing lolb? Secondly he can hit the gym all he wants doesn't mean he will gain strength needed for the nfl. He was one of the weakest players at the combine he has a really skinny frame and is slow. Yeah let's make him our 1 st end pick face it he is not going to turn into a good pick he just isn't there are 100's of guys like him every year in training camps very few of them turn it around and I don't expect him to be one of them. He has shown nothing

You were probably one of the "fans" saying that Troy was a bust his rookie year too.

Seven
10-09-2013, 10:32 PM
I really need to pay more attention to Jones. If I have an opportunity to do so I'll check out Rewind and see if I like what he is doing. As it stands, I'm not really concerned about him yet.

Texasteel
10-09-2013, 11:16 PM

I thought Jones didn't take part in anything at the combines but the 40. How many reps did he have in the bench press?

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2013, 02:22 AM

why are we comparing a rookie that was once considered a top 5 pick with a senile player thats been through a multitude of surgeries and is playing in the wrong scheme. setting the bar extremely low if you ask me

steeldawg
10-10-2013, 04:41 AM
I thought Jones didn't take part in anything at the combines but the 40. How many reps did he have in the bench press?

He had 20 reps at 225 at his pro day which ranked 16th among linebackers so wasn't great wasn't terrible. The combine report listed his size and ability to shed blocks as part of his weaknesses. I thought he looked good in preseason but so far during the regular season he hasn't been much of a factor. Still a lot of season left and he plays with energy so I think he will make some plays but only time will tell.

Texasteel
10-10-2013, 08:04 AM
He had 20 reps at 225 at his pro day which ranked 16th among linebackers so wasn't great wasn't terrible. The combine report listed his size and ability to shed blocks as part of his weaknesses. I thought he looked good in preseason but so far during the regular season he hasn't been much of a factor. Still a lot of season left and he plays with energy so I think he will make some plays but only time will tell.

Yes, I know all that, but someone seems to be trying to throw around combine information that doesn't exist. I would like to just keep the record straight.

zulater
10-10-2013, 08:08 AM
why are we comparing a rookie that was once considered a top 5 pick with a senile player thats been through a multitude of surgeries and is playing in the wrong scheme. setting the bar extremely low if you ask me

My point is I don't ever remember a rookie coming into this defense at LOLB and setting the world ablaze. As a rookie Joey Porter had no official tackles or assists. So by some people's standards he would have been a bust.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2013, 11:23 AM
ummm....not to be a jerk, but wasn't one of the criticisms of J. Jones coming out of college that his pass-rush ability would not translate well or at all to the NFL? I seem to remember having that debate on this very board. If we are going to call for the heads of others on this team due to poor play or bad results...why not Jones as well? I love his attitude. I think moving on from Harrrison was the proper move - not my favorite move, but necessary. However, at this point, Worilds has demonstrated more as a pass rusher in the NFL than Jones has.

From the little I have seen, Jones looks good in space, is average or higher against the run, but he has one pass rush move -- getting inside the tackles shoulder. That's it. I hope I am wrong, but other than a few plays in preseason and one earlier this regular season, I have not seen a ton that makes him seem like a potential dominant player. I have also not seen large portions of several games this year, so I could be very wrong.

Just wanted to ask, that there were more than whispers of concern that Jones' high college productivity and success would not translate to the NFL. Anyone else worried that is what we are seeing here? I would be less concerned if Jones was a rookie and a DE conversion project, but he was a stand-up LB in college was well...

i recall something similiar. Great hands on his pass rush move(s), not much raw power involved in his bull rush. kind of like vernon gholston of the jets i believe? Sorry to scare people with the comparison. At least its still really early

86WARD
10-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Really not a comparison you can make at this point...