PDA

View Full Version : Steelers poor run defense jolts McLendon

Count Steeler
10-06-2013, 05:31 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers nose tackle Steve McLendon knows the defense has not performed up to its usual standards this season. But seeing the Steelers with a 29 next to their name in one notable category in the NFL's weekly statistics nearly left McLendon speechless.

The category is run defense, and that would be 29th out of 32 teams.

"Man, that's bad," said McLendon, a five-year veteran in his first season as a full-time starter. "We used to be in the top five. We haven't ever been out of the top 10. That's a first, man. We just have to do better."

Once the NFL's most impenetrable rush defense, the Steelers are no longer striking fear into opposing offenses. Each of the first four opponents accumulated 100 yards rushing or more against the Steelers. To put that into perspective, when the Steelers won the Super Bowl after the 2008 season, they allowed only five teams to rush for 100 yards in 16 regular-season games and three postseason contests. Even the 8-8 team last season allowed just four opponents to rush for 100 or more.

The Steelers have been a dominant defense against the run since 2000, leading the NFL in rush defense four times in the past 12 seasons. They have been among the top 10 against the run 11 times in that span, with the exception in 2003, when they were 12th.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-poor-run-defense-jolts-mclendon-706236/#ixzz2gw8EUdCQ

Devilsdancefloor
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
this is because they cant not tackel to save their collective lives at critical times during the game

NCSteeler
10-06-2013, 09:57 AM
It's because of all this talk about using the lineman differently. Having them rush the or pressure the passer more. It has broken down the lanes. They need to go back to holding the line stopping the run and let the back seven worry about rushing and stopping the pass.

steelreserve
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Well, on the bright side: If the losing keeps up, we'll go way up in the pass defense rankings, since teams will get a lead and then run the ball the entire second half.

steeldawg
10-06-2013, 07:50 PM
It's because of all this talk about using the lineman differently. Having them rush the or pressure the passer more. It has broken down the lanes. They need to go back to holding the line stopping the run and let the back seven worry about rushing and stopping the pass.

This a good point, seems logical that by placing more emphasis on the pass rush we have lost focus on run defense.

Count Steeler
10-06-2013, 07:56 PM

4 sacks in 4 games. I will call this experiment a colossal failure. AND 0 turnovers over 4 games.

NCSteeler
10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
4 sacks in 4 games. I will call this experiment a colossal failure. AND 0 turnovers over 4 games.
I'm not sure we could get a turnover from Matt Shaub.

Count Steeler
10-07-2013, 04:55 AM

Ike would drop it for sure.

tube517
10-07-2013, 11:06 AM

We would have some hurries but no sacks and he would look all world with a 158.0 rating and no picks and no fumbles.

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

ALLD
10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
The offense is worse than the defense, but that is not a story. We haven't had a consistent offense since 1979.

zulater
10-09-2013, 07:27 AM
The offense is worse than the defense, but that is not a story. We haven't had a consistent offense since 1979.

No. The defense is now the teams worst unit. Not even close. To allow Matt Cassell to drive the ball up and down the field at will is the sign of a poor defense. They don't force turnovers, and they don't make important stops.

Our offense is showing signs of improvement, our defense is deteriorating as the season goes on.