PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Ryan Clark takes exception to criticism regarding level of effort

Count Steeler
10-02-2013, 06:24 PM
PITTSBURGH -- So, safety Ryan Clark was disappointed that the Pittsburgh Steelers coaches basically criticized the team's lack of effort after watching film of the club's fourth straight loss to open this season.

After the team was stopped by the Minnesota Vikings in London, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said: "I like the fight of the guys, and I like their belief in what it is we're doing. (We) just have to do it better. ... We're going to focus on getting better. That's what's going to change the outcome of these football games. Those (players) that don't, aren't going to be a part of us.

"I have great patience. We'll continue to work and get better, as long as I see belief and effort and continued improvement in detail, because that's what's going to change the outcome of these games. Those that don't, they won't be a part of it, whoever it may be. It's just that simple."

Apparently, Tomlin and his staff believed that some players didn't fit the bill. Clark, in a long dissertation to the media Tuesday afternoon, addressed that.

"Different things have been talked about (Tuesday) in meetings that really haven't sat well with me," Clark said. "The film shows one thing, but I know when a guy gets blocked he's not trying to get blocked.

"Or when a guy misses a tackle, he's attempting to make that tackle. The effort is there. We just aren't executing. When you're winning, a mistake or two is glossed over. When you're losing, everything is pointed out."

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/10/2/4795368/steelers-ryan-clark-comments-quotes-week-4-vikings

All is well in Pittsburgh? Not yet. Not even close. I hate to see the carnage if we go 0-8. On second thought, I welcome the carnage if we go 0-8.

salamander
10-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Nothing a string of a couple of wins won't cure.

SteelerFanInStl
10-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Then start playing better Ryan. You've been invisible so far this year.

steelreserve
10-03-2013, 11:47 AM
They're not executing, but they're trying hard? Oh, that's great. In the NFL that gets you exactly squat.

Here, I think this is more like it:

http://i.imgur.com/ibtxWwO.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
10-03-2013, 11:52 AM
i have no doubt the veterans like clark are giving it their all. i just think most of them are past their prime. And no, i dont care about how they did last year, or the year before that. were talking about now.

st33lersguy
10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Of course the cure to stop all criticism is better effort and performance

tube517
10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Clark is showing his age this year.

steeldawg
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Well clark you get paid to execute not to try.

SteelMayhem72
10-03-2013, 07:00 PM
I like Ryan Clark but I dont like what he said. He has in the last couple of years been more vocal in the media which is ok but when it comes to the team when you havent won any games then keep your mouth shut and do better! Plain and simple!!! If Mike Tomlin is any kind of coach he would squash any king of media attention that criticizing your own team. As much as I hate bellicheat, his teams are very disciplined when it comes to the media. He does this by example in the way he deals with the media.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont want to hear ANY kind of talk...just execute and win games!!!

- - - Updated - - -

These guys are professionals...Tomlin needs to remind them of this and they get paid very well to do their job very well...plain and simple!!!

steeldawg
10-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I get the sense that clark tries to be a bit controversial in order to keep himself talked about by the media, He really wants that tv career after football.

Mistah Q
10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Clark is right in a way. The coach blamed the players pretty directly - that's kind of foul to me. I love Clark for what he's given to this team over the years -- and yes he is showing his age this season. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and even Clark shouldn't be in the lineup on reputation -- but we have Golden and Sharknado waiting in the wings. Especially since we, for once, have Safeties who can step up, It's on the coaches if they don't recognize that Clark is diminishing, or Clark needs a breather, etc, and make the switch.

zulater
10-10-2013, 07:14 AM
I get the sense that clark tries to be a bit controversial in order to keep himself talked about by the media, He really wants that tv career after football.

Yep. And there's a good chance he's going to be joining them on a full time basis real soon. No one wants an outspoken marginal player. If his play doesn't pick up soon he wont be a Steeler next season, and may not even be in the league.

HollywoodSteel
10-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Yep. And there's a good chance he's going to be joining them on a full time basis real soon. No one wants an outspoken marginal player. If his play doesn't pick up soon he wont be a Steeler next season, and may not even be in the league.

He's a FA after this year, isn't he? I really doubt the Steelers will offer him more than vet min. to stay on another year, if that. If he can get more from another team then more power to him. How much do ex-players generally make as media personalities their first year at it? Probably less than vet min. as a player, don't you think? Otherwise he might just choose retirement rather than stay on another year.

steeldawg
10-12-2013, 08:08 PM
He's a FA after this year, isn't he? I really doubt the Steelers will offer him more than vet min. to stay on another year, if that. If he can get more from another team then more power to him. How much do ex-players generally make as media personalities their first year at it? Probably less than vet min. as a player, don't you think? Otherwise he might just choose retirement rather than stay on another year.

I don't think we are going to re-sign him and I think he knows it.

Mistah Q
10-12-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't think we are going to re-sign him and I think he knows it.
And it's still a better love story than Twilight.

Psycho Ward 86
10-12-2013, 08:30 PM
i am scared for this defense when keisel and clark are gone. which could easily be at the end of the season. Not that i want them back, but once theyre gone, where is the leadership on this defense? id have to say its as good as gone, we arent even seeing "hints" of leadership from any of the younger guys, except maybe heyward.

steeldawg
10-12-2013, 08:34 PM
i am scared for this defense when keisel and clark are gone. which could easily be at the end of the season. Not that i want them back, but once theyre gone, where is the leadership on this defense? id have to say its as good as gone, we arent even seeing "hints" of leadership from any of the younger guys, except maybe heyward.

Has to be hard to emerge as a leader when you are surrounded by so many vets. I think once we get younger it will give guys that chance.