PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have become Barney Fife.

zulater
09-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Anyone old enough to remember The Andy Griffith show, or who has seen it in reruns knows that Barney Fife was the laughable deputy sheriff who talked a big game but nearly always shot himself in the foot trying to pull his gun out of the holster when it mattered most. Well the Steelers have become one and the same. They are in fact team shoots itself in the foot. When it matters most they can't get out of their own way. Most of the damage that comes to them is self inflicted or was preventable if they could perform as normal players and coaches generally do. The perfect way to epitomize their recent plight was David Paulson's fumble against the Bengals. Not only did it negate a big play that would have given the Steelers an excellent chance to gain a lead and momentum in that game. But the futility of the fumble was further escalated by the coaches sending players onto the field instead of recognizing Ben's rushing to the line in order to get a play off before the Bengals had a chance to challenge the easily reversible play. So of course the coaches insistence of micromanaging the game led to a loss of possession and the game's early momentum! :doh:

Anyway here's a list of some of the self inflicted damage from yesterday's game.

1.Facemasking. Viking first series, Woods gets his hand caught in Adrian Peterson's facemask, resulting in a 15 yard penalty. Take away that 15 yarder and the 54 yard fg the Vikings netted from that series likely never happens! :doh:

2. Ike and Ike. Two times Ike had a chance to make a game changing play with an interception. Twice the ball hit him right in the hands. Twice he came away with nothing. Granted on the first one the Viking receiver made a nice defensive play on the ball. But the second one it was right there and Ike as is normal for him dropped the ball without any aid from the Vikings.

3. Strip sack, Oh no first down! The Steelers finally force a fumble! A sack on the same play no less! But of course it not only evades two Steelers that looked to be in prime position to recover it, ( Heyward, and Jones) no it squirts between the two Steelers right into the hands of the lone Viking in a 15 yard radius. But worse yet it's recovered far enough down field for a Viking first down! The Vikings then go on and score a fg burning up essentially what's left of the 2nd quarter. This was a 6-10 point swing in the game. Had we recovered the fumble we likely score a fg or better and go in at half down 17-13, or possibly tied at 17 instead of down 20-10.

4. Rusty Sieve defense. The Steelers offense takes the 2nd half kickoff and drives downs and scores a TD to make it a 3 point game. Despite the special teams doing a good job and giving the Vikings mediocre starting field position ( own 25) the defense needs all of 6 plays to forfeit what the offense just gave them, and the Vikings take back their 10 point lead.

5. Ben tries to do too much and disaster results. Ben attempts to gain two scores on one drive and forgets there's still 1 1/2 quarters of football to play. He forces the issue and basically gives the Vikings a few more nails to drive in the coffin.

6. Woodley pf assures Vikings don't have to settle for a measly fg and Vikes score touchdown off Ben's interception to go up by 17.

7. Ben goes cold and brainlocks in redzone. After driving the Steelers to within 10 points Ben gets the ball back and drives the Steelers from his own 35 to the Vikes 12. And then can't hit the broadside of a barn or figure out who his open receivers are, thus the Steelers settle for a fg when a TD would have put them in position to get the game to OT later.

8. Lather rinse repeat step 7. Ben drives the Steelers from their own 22 to the Vikings 6. Forgets he still has a down to play with and takes a sack and fumble. I don't think the fumble mattered because they never would have got lined up for another play. But you can't take the sack there!

Anyway there you have it. Barney Fife. http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg60/mrmorgan_chs/BarneyFife2.jpg

Dwinsgames
09-30-2013, 09:19 PM
ole 1 bullet Barney

zulater
09-30-2013, 09:31 PM
I've come to the conclusion there's an evil spy who's been planted in the Steelers laundry by Goodell who treats the Steelers defensive jerseys with a secret ball repellent. :chuckle:

Moose
09-30-2013, 09:33 PM
LMAO Yea, I'm old enough and remember ole' Barney and love watching the reruns. The Steeler's rerun's this year- not so much.

HollywoodSteel
09-30-2013, 10:18 PM
So, is Goober our O-line couch, or would that be Gomer Pyle?

Texasteel
09-30-2013, 10:39 PM
So, is Goober our O-line couch, or would that be Gomer Pyle?

I would say Goober, remember, Gomer was Goobers boss.

Shoes
09-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I would say Goober, remember, Gomer was Goobers boss.

:chuckle:

Mach1
09-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Still better than being Otis the town drunk.

tube517
09-30-2013, 11:10 PM
I think they have become Mr. Furley

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/rebeccamariewinters/mrfurley.jpg

Texasteel
10-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Still better than being Otis the town drunk.

Watching the game on Sunday, somebody on that staff is Otis.

Lambert_Loonie
10-01-2013, 02:17 AM
At least Barney Fife was entertaining.

NCSteeler
10-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Gotta take the Squad Car tour of "Mayberry" (Mt. Airy, NC) is a nice tour. This team and it's COACHING STAFF are definitely Barney Fife like this year.

NJarhead
10-01-2013, 07:08 AM
After the Adrian Peterson and Greg Jennings TD's, I actually made this comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx9Tovevx6w

Steeldude
10-01-2013, 07:18 AM
We need Barney Fife's alter ego...

http://www.grouchoreviews.com/content/films/4418/1.jpg

Shoes
10-01-2013, 07:58 AM
After the Adrian Peterson and Greg Jennings TD's, I actually made this comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx9Tovevx6w

:chuckle: