PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' secondary now a primary concern

stillers4me
09-30-2013, 05:42 AM
There couldn't have been any single facet more debilitating, more demoralizing to the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)' 34-27 loss to the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday at Wembley Stadium than that the defense continued to concede big plays.

Huge plays.

Hideous plays.

And the worst part?

“They just came on breakdowns,” safety Troy Polamalu said.

No, the part worse than that.

“We just didn't tackle,” nickel back Willie Gay said.

That's the one...........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4795163-74/polamalu-plays-steelers#ixzz2gN5eFBjl

Devilsdancefloor
09-30-2013, 07:20 AM
this is the worst tackling team i have seen in a long time in B&G.

Edman
09-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Poor Tackling is the problem.

Dwinsgames
09-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Poor Tackling is the problem.

7 missed tackles on the long TD .... count them 1....2....3....4...5...6...7...... SEVEN

zulater
09-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Troy needs to start playing safety again as in getting back and helping the corners and linebackers in coverage. They're using him way too much as a roamer. It's rarely fooling anyone anymore, and we're leaving huge gaps in the secondary that are being exploited by the m,ost mediocre of qb's. So what happens when we face a real qb like Brady?

Steeldude
09-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Troy needs to start playing safety again as in getting back and helping the corners and linebackers in coverage. They're using him way too much as a roamer. It's rarely fooling anyone anymore, and we're leaving huge gaps in the secondary that are being exploited by the m,ost mediocre of qb's. So what happens when we face a real qb like Brady?

I think Lebeau realizes he has no choice because the front 7 can't stop the run or provide pressure.

If we face Brady or Manning we will be chewed up.

NJarhead
09-30-2013, 08:17 AM
I think Lebeau realizes he has no choice because the front 7 can't stop the run or provide pressure.

If we face Brady or Manning we will be chewed up.

Brady's WR's aren't that good (so far), I think we'd have a shot.

No one is stopping Manning. No one.

steelreserve
09-30-2013, 12:09 PM

I don't like Troy being used in coverage too often. When we play the sit-back, teams pick us apart 100% of the time. Troy is the most effective playing as a roamer. I did like what we tried with bringing Thomas in to basically play the sit-back safety to free up Troy to act like a linebacker. But the problem with that was we still couldn't cover. The botom line is that if our DBs can't cover or tackle anyway, it doesn't really matter what else we do with Troy.

Craic
09-30-2013, 02:42 PM
7 missed tackles on the long TD .... count them 1....2....3....4...5...6...7...... SEVEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOnFTGjItyU

steeldawg
09-30-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't like Troy being used in coverage too often. When we play the sit-back, teams pick us apart 100% of the time. Troy is the most effective playing as a roamer. I did like what we tried with bringing Thomas in to basically play the sit-back safety to free up Troy to act like a linebacker. But the problem with that was we still couldn't cover. The botom line is that if our DBs can't cover or tackle anyway, it doesn't really matter what else we do with Troy.

The issue is also pressure up front, Its hard to cover when the qb has all day in the pocket.

Count Steeler
09-30-2013, 04:06 PM
The issue is also pressure up front, Its hard to cover when the qb has all day in the pocket.

It is amazing what happens when the O Line does it's job. The 2 rookies for the Bears had no problem picking up the stunts from the vaunted Blitzburgh defense. What do we have 3 sacks on the year?

Yeah, the secondary is the biggest concern.

steelreserve
09-30-2013, 04:42 PM

There's that too. Another thing that tends to happen when we play Troy in the sit-back is we get no pressure at all. Here are the four guys who are rushing, no surprises ... that's great; they're blocked easily. Troy himself isn't usually the one pressuring the QB either; he usually isn't even rushing, but having to account for him near the line lets our regular pass-rushing work about 10 times better.

steelerdude15
09-30-2013, 04:57 PM

The reason why Troy is playing on the line and blitzing so much is because of the absence of Larry Foote. It really hurts not having Foote's leadership and experience on the field.

steeldawg
09-30-2013, 05:18 PM
There's that too. Another thing that tends to happen when we play Troy in the sit-back is we get no pressure at all. Here are the four guys who are rushing, no surprises ... that's great; they're blocked easily. Troy himself isn't usually the one pressuring the QB either; he usually isn't even rushing, but having to account for him near the line lets our regular pass-rushing work about 10 times better.

I love lebeau but honestly our problem might be scheme, I really am tired of hearing about how exotic and confusing our defense is. We are not fooling anybody, our blitzes are easily picked up and the opposing qb's look pretty comfortable throwing against our secondary. I think the reason troy used to be so effective around the line is because we had Harrison and Woodley coming of the edges causing havoc and hurried throws, honestly you can put troy anywhere but if there is no pressure they will just simply throw away from him.

Moose
09-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Man, the secondary is definitely a concern but I really find it hard narrowing down the order of importance. We don't pressure the QB, we don't tackle, we don't have a running game, Ben look's confused as hell at times, the fumbling and throwing interceptions have to stop ( throw the damn ball away !), get some take aways for a change. Just to name a few things. In what order of importance ? LOL Start with any of them would be nice, and in the right direction. Maybe look at some old STEELER films ! Just my opinion.

Count Steeler
09-30-2013, 06:20 PM

0 * 10 = 0

zulater
09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
It is amazing what happens when the O Line does it's job. The 2 rookies for the Bears had no problem picking up the stunts from the vaunted Blitzburgh defense. What do we have 3 sacks on the year?

Yeah, the secondary is the biggest concern.

4 in all. The reviled Lamarr Woodley has 3 of them. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

The reason why Troy is playing on the line and blitzing so much is because of the absence of Larry Foote. It really hurts not having Foote's leadership and experience on the field.

Good point, but instead of being weak in one area we've become weak in two.

steel striker
10-03-2013, 02:25 PM
There are just too many issues on the defensive side and, yeah just think we face Brady & Rodgers later this season. Were giving up big plays in the running & passing game.